History in Dusty Books

In The Land of the Two Crescent Moons

Somewhere in a palace in northern China.

 

~ Jiao Lin’s POV ~

“When the skies and the grounds were one of legends, through their twelve forces, nurtured the tree of life. An eye of red force created the evil which covered the heart of the tree of life and the heart slowly grew dry. To attempt to keep alive the heart of the tree of life the legends hereby divided the tree in half and hid each side, hence times is overturned and space turns obscure. The twelve forces divided into two and created two suns that look alike into two worlds that seem alike. The legends traveled apart. The legends shall now see the same sky but must stand on different grounds. They shall stand on the same ground but shall see different skies. The day the grounds be kept a single file before one sky in two words that seem alike, the legends will meet greet each other. The day the red forces purify and the twelve forces will reunite into one perfect root… a new world shall open up.”
 

“I love this story so much! Isn’t it just fantastic?” I asked the small children who sat in a circle on the floor. They shouted out from excitement, wanting to hear more. With a smile on my face I looked at the happy children surrounding me. Ah… they’re too cute!!!
 

“Alright, that’s it! Everyone get out now!” I sighed when one of the servants came shooing the children out, leaving me alone in my huge room. I guess the fun is over now…
 

“It’s time for you to follow me to the library to study, Princess.” Another servant said while bowing. I sighed again before standing up.
 

“Do I have to study right now? I’m tired… I want to take a nap first.” I said, closing my eyes while yawning. I glanced with one eye at the servant who was still standing there, but with crossed arms.
 

“You’re coming with me, NOW. I won’t let you trick me again. It won’t work no matter how much you try.” He coldly said. I frowned after a short staring contest with him.
 

“Sure… I’ll come then. But don’t expect me to study that much.” I only said while slowly walking out of the room. I saw a smile creep up on his face when he walked passed me. Don’t think you’ve won…

 

Arriving in the library, I sat down on the chair by the table furthest away from the door. In one of the corners sat the librarian, fully absorbed in a huge old book that was in front of him. I just shook my head and looked at the books that were put in front of me by the servant who took me here.
 

“Shen Guo Li…” I said quietly, still staring at the books.
 

“What princess?” He asked with a questionable look on his face. He bent forward a bit so he would get closer.
 

“I’m NOT going to read all those books… I already told you.” I said looking him in his eyes with a serious expression.
 

“Whatever you say, princess.” He said while smiling.
 

“And stop saying princess all the time. I do have a name.” I said after a while. He knows I get irritated when he says that. We’ve known each other since I was born. And he still talks to me like that.
 

“Xia Jiao Lin, you know I must say princess to you. I’m not in a position to call you by your name.  Especially not in front of others.” His grin was even bigger now.
 

“Oh, but there’s no one else here. Just you, me and that old librarian over there who’s almost deaf. So you better call me by my name, you did promise me that when I was five years old.” I said smiling at him. He sighed and looked down on his shoes. After a while he nodded and opened one of the books before putting it in front of me. He pointed at one of the pages.
 

“Well then, Jiao Lin. It’s your fault if I get punished. Now you better start reading.” He said with a grin. I looked down on the page and stared at the first sentence a few seconds before looking at Guo Li again.
 

“I’ve already read this, last week actually. When you were absent because of sickness… I’m still not pleased that you leaved me with that… that… that horrible woman! How dare she tell me to redo that essay just because she didn’t like my way of writing! Just because I wanted to make it a bit more humorous, she yelled at me! She couldn’t even take the joke…” I was almost hysterical when I told him about that horrendous moment of my life.
 

“What did you do… now?” He asked me with a curious and suspicious look. I bit my lip gently and played with my fingers while looking away from him. With crossed arms he observed me quietly. I cleared my throat.
 

 “I just… thought it would be fun to… make that story a bit more fun by… ehm… commenting some quite obvious things… I guess…” I nervously said glancing up at Guo Li. He didn’t have an amused look on his face; he only stood there as serious one can be.
 

“So… what exactly did you comment about?” He soon asked, still with an ice cold stare. I cleared my throat once again before continuing.
 

“Ehm… I think it’s better if you ask her about it instead… I still have lots to study, right?” I hurriedly took out a new book from the pile and flipped up to page 364, reading intensely about dragons instead of answering his question. After a few minutes of silence he let out a sigh and then laughed loudly.
 

“What did you say?” We heard the old librarian ask from the corner. We stared at him confused.
 

“Did you ask about food? This isn’t the kitchen!” The old man soon said loudly before turning to his book. We shared eye contact for a short moment before bursting out in laughter.
 

“That old man really needs to retire soon. He always hears things wrong.” Guo Li managed to say in amidst of all the laughter. I tried to catch my breath and shook my head.
 

“No, they can’t just replace him! It’s funnier when he’s here. Especially when people who don’t know about him being deaf try asking questions. There’s always a hilarious reply.” I said and then returned to the book.

 

I really like reading about magical and mythological things. So this book seemed really interesting. Dragons are something I really want to know more about. Guo Li had finally stopped laughing, and bent down to say something to me. Curious I looked up at him. But just as he was going to say something, one of my personal maids stopped beside him. After glaring at him for a short moment, she finally looked at me.
 

“Princess, it’s time for your bath now.” She calmly said. I looked at her and then at Guo Li.
 

Not sure if I wanted to go now that I’ve found this interesting book about dragons… I stared at the book and after a few seconds I looked up at the maid. Cutely I stared at her and swayed my head slowly from side to side. I knew that no one could resist me when I did so and I could see the maid having difficulties now. Suddenly Guo Li started giggling. He probably knew that I wanted to keep on reading. Finally the maid just turned around and tightly shut her eyes.
 

“Ah! Don’t do that! You know I can’t take it! Just stay here then! But you have to take a bath sooner or later today…” She walked out of the library, leaving us alone again.
 

I smiled widely because of my victory. Now I can keep on reading! I looked weirdly at Guo Li who was still giggling like crazy. And he’s supposed to be a servant…
 

“I’m sorry… it’s just so funny…” He somehow was able to let out.
 

And I just couldn’t help but laugh quietly, which of course made him to laugh out loud. This in turn made the librarian look up from his book once again.
 

“There’s no gardener here, he’s outside! Why would he be here?!” The old man sounded a bit irritated before going back to what he was doing.
 

Guo Li couldn’t take it anymore and went out from the library while still laughing madly. I just shook my head. Finally I can read! I sighed happily and returned to the magical world of dragons in the book. How amazing wouldn’t it be to actually see one for real?

 

~ ?’s POV ~

I was just about to get over the outer wall of the palace when I almost forgot my bag that I had put down on the ground to fix my cape that had tangled itself. I went back down and tied my bag around my waist before climbing up the big wall once again. I examined the surroundings, making sure no one would see me, before jumping down swiftly. Sneakily I made my way towards the bushes on the right side of the garden in the backyard of the palace. Crouching down hurriedly when one of the guards was patrolling the path right in front of me, which led towards the rosebushes. As soon the guard had left, I proceeded with running towards the path on the left. Following all the way until I came to a fountain. Immediately I sat down with my back towards the fountain and could finally catch my breath.
 

It was not easy running away from those parasite-like people who’s been following me around ever since I won money at that competition a few days ago. Somehow I managed to get away early this morning, but they found me half-way to the palace. And so, they’ve been chasing me until now just to get my money…
 

I sighed deeply and closed my eyes. I’m really tired after all that running, maybe I should take a short nap? Just to gain enough energy to find something to eat… I’m getting hungry…

 

 ~ Jiao Lin’s POV ~

I heard some loud noises while I was in the middle of reading the last sentence in the book. I finished it fast, before closing it and getting up from my seat to see what was going on. I opened the large doors adjoining the library and the big hallway and got to see the guards dragging a young man inside. I walked briskly towards them, earning a somewhat surprised look from one of the guards. I stopped a few meters away from them and stared at them curiously. They immediately straightened themselves without releasing whoever they had been dragging inside.
 

“So… what is this all about?” I asked while raising an eyebrow.
 

“We found this young man hiding in the royal garden; apparently he had fallen asleep by the fountain.” The older guard said, and wrinkled his nose before continuing. “We’ll be taking care of this, so don’t worry about it princess.” He added and then bowed. The young man finally looked up, staring at me with wide eyes.
 

“You’re the princess?!” His expression showed how shocked he was.
 

He seemed to have problems focusing as his eyes wandered on different spots on the floor, still trying to comprehend this situation. He then looked up at me once again.
 

“It’s an honor to meet you in person.” He said happily with a smile on his face. I returned his smile and then nodded.
 

“And who may you be?” I asked carefully, interested in who he was and why he would be here.
 

“Oh… I’m sorry! I haven’t introduced myself yet… I’m Zhang Yi Xing. I’m just a traveler.” He said with a mellow voice.
 

He had calm eyes, full of curiosity and friendliness. He didn’t seem like a bad person and I could feel that he didn’t mean anything bad by coming to the palace without being invited.
 

“You can release him now.” I said with a determined voice.
 

“I’m sorry, but we can’t do that. He hasn’t told us about his reasons for coming, and even if he had a good reason we can’t let him stay. He’s of no use in the palace.” The older guard said strictly. Yi Xing looked up at the guard a bit surprised.
 

“So… can I stay if I have something to contribute with?” He said with a glint of expectation in his eyes.
 

“Only if the King approves.” The younger guard said.
 

“Oh, but I can heal! I’m a healer! So can I stay?” He said cutely with a pout.
 

“How do we know that you’re telling the truth? What if you aren’t just a scammer?” The younger guard asked, still suspicious about Yi Xing’s motive. The older guard frowned.
 

“Let’s take him to the King then, and let the King decide whether or not he tells the truth.” He said to the younger guard and I let a small victorious smile spread on my face.

 

They soon made their way towards the king, still dragging poor Yi Xing. I followed them and as soon as they opened the door I hurriedly walked towards my father and stopped right beside him. The two guards brought Yi Xing to the center of the room, and dropped him down a few meters away from the King. He quickly stood up and brushed his clothes off and then bowed deeply before glancing at the King nervously.
 

“No need to be nervous. What can I do for you?” My father asked politely, ignoring the complaints from the younger guard, who probably didn’t like the fact that his highness was so polite towards someone who have gotten into the palace without permission.
 

“Your highness, he says he has healing powers, and therefore wants to stay here.” The older guard said and bowed down. It was quiet for a moment while the King observed the young man.
 

“Really?” He soon asked happily. “You’re a healer? That’s fantastic!” He blurted out.
 

I face palmed myself and sighed. My father is probably the strangest king ever. He has always been like that, a bit childish and playful. But if he needs to be serious he’ll be the most serious ever. The guards just stood there with their mouths agape. Still not comprehending what was happening. Well who blames them? They haven’t been royal guards that long so they haven’t probably noticed this side of the king before…

 

“What…?” Yi Xing managed to ask, a bit confused. “Right! I’m a healer!” He added soon with a sweet smile on his face.
 

“Wait a minute! How can you accept him just like that?! What if he’s a swindler?” The older guard said loudly, somewhat in disbelief. “Shouldn’t we see if he really has healing powers first?”
 

“Oh! You’re right… then let him get closer so he can heal this cut on my arm for me.” My father said calmly, revealing the bandaged wound on his right arm.

 

He then motioned Yi Xing to get closer. Reluctantly, the guards let Yi Xing step forward. I could see that Yi Xing was nervous as he stepped close enough to put his hands above the wound. He closed his eyes and concentrated on what he was supposed to do. A white light appeared through his hands and engulfed the wound, and slowly the cut healed itself. Not leaving any scar behind.
 

“Wow…” I quietly let out, amazed by his powers. Yi Xing slowly opened his eyes and withdrew his hands with a small sigh. My father smiled widely, proud over finding this amazing person.
 

“If you don’t mind, I would like you to become our personal royal healer. You’ll get everything you need and don’t hesitate to ask about anything. You’ll get special treatment while staying as our healer. So let us get a room ready for you. Servants!” The king said firmly and one of the servants hurriedly stepped out from the room to prepare a room.
 

One of the other servants went away to get new clothes for our guest, so he could change. Another one showed Yi Xing the way to his own room, which he hesitantly followed. My father didn’t even wait for a response from the poor guy, it was more of a demand than an offer. I sighed happily and then thanked my father for taking him in, before walking back to my own room. I was relieved that Yi Xing didn’t get punished for basically “breaking” into the palace. But since my father is pretty good at sensing who’s good or not, no one actually question about his judgments. It was quite funny to hear about Yi Xing falling asleep in the garden though…