Holidays and Bonds

Retrospect

 

Sehun’s POV

 

Chistmas is finally here. It is my favorite holiday out of all the holidays in the world and I’m always so excited for Christmas. But this time, I was even more excited because Lu Han hyung agreed to spend a night at our house to celebrate Christmas with us.

“Hyung!” I called out to Lu Han hyung as soon as he walks out of the front entrance to the company.

“Hey, I’m sorry for coming out a bit late. Yixing had a problem with his bag so I helped him.” He apologized as soon as he reached me.

“No, it’s okay. I didn’t wait that long.” I smiled. “So, shall we go?”

Lu Han hyung nodded and we happily walked side by side to the bus stop. Lu Han hyung was saying how happy he was to sleep over at my house.

Luckily, a bus had just arrived so we were able to ride as soon as we reached the bus stop. We sat at the back and chatted about Christmas with our families. I learned that his family goes to his grandparents’ house to spend Christmas with them and that for the past two years, he haven’t spent Christmas with his family because he was in Korea. While he was sharing it, I could see sadness in his eyes. I remembered the day I saw him crying and I realized he was very filial.

 

“Oh, we’re here.” I announced and we got off the bus.

My house was just a few walking distance from the bus stop so we weren’t able to talk that much. Also, Lu Han hyung was busy looking around. He has never been to this part of the city so he must be amazed by the sight.

“Sehun-ah!” My mother jumped into me the moment I opened the door to our house. I heard a giggle escape from Lu Han hyung’s mouth. This is so embarrassing.

“I missed you so much. How have you been doing? You’ve been eating three times a day, right?” She patted my cheeks before hugging me tightly… again. It took a minute before she noticed Lu Han hyung behind me.

“Oh, you must be Lu Han?” Umma said slowly.

“Umma… He’s quite fluent in Korean, you know?” I said.

“Oh, really? Hi, Lu Han. I’m Sehun’s mother.” She smiled at Lu Han and opened her arms for Lu Han. Lu Han complied and walked over to my mother to hug her. My mother is so embarrassing.

 

“You are such an adorable boy. Why don’t you call me ‘umma’ as well?” Umma said once we were settled in the living room.

“Y-yes… u-um…” Lu Han tried to call her.

“Go on, don’t be shy. ‘Umma’.” She smiled so bright that I could almost see her teeth sparkling.

“Um-Umma.” My mother squealed from delight.

“Umma, you’re overreacting. I’m bringing Lu Han hyung to my room.” I said before heading towards my room. Lu Han hyung bowed to my mom before following me.

 

“Sorry about umma. She’s just so cheerful whenever I get home for holidays. She’s not usually like that though, she’s normal.” I explained to hyung as we got to my room.

“I find her cute, though. Your mother is quite like my own. I bet they’ll get along when they meet.” He smiled before sitting on the bed.

 

Because we had practice the whole day, we fell asleep while listening to music. My mother woke us up when my father got home and we had late dinner. I looked at the clock before going to the dining room. It was 11:30. Almost Christmas!

“Good evening, sir.” Lu Han hyung greeted appa as he walks in to the dining room.

“You must be Lu Han. It’s nice to meet you.” My father patted hyung’s back before sitting on one end of the table. We followed him and sat as well.

“I heard you’re from China, Lu Han. You must’ve had a hard time adjusting here.” My father assumed.

“Yes, I did have a hard time at first but I made friends in the university who were foreigners like me so I eventually got used to Korea. And my co-trainees have been very helpful, especially Sehun here.” He beamed.

“I’m glad that my son is not bullying you and he’s taking care of you.” My mother said.

“Oh, he did bully me before. We were always head-to-head before that the others found it surprising when we suddenly became close.” He laughed at the memory while I blush.

“How dare my son bully such a charming boy?” Umma said playfully. My father and Lu Han hyung laughed as well, making me blush more.

“If ever he bullies you again, call me okay? I’ll be sure to nag him for you.”

“Umma! I’m your son, not Lu Han hyung!” I whined. Lu Han hyung stuck out his tongue at me.

 

As soon as dinner was finished, we all gathered in the living room. It was 11:59. Only one more minute ‘til Christmas!

“Merry Christmas!” I shouted happily as the clock strikes 12.

“Sehun-ah. Here.” Lu Han hyung said as he handed me a box.

“Thanks, hyung. Here’s yours.” I handed my present.

We were quiet as we opened our gifts for each other.

I tore the gift wrapper to reveal a light blue denim jacket. I saw this while we were went shopping with Kai last time and I liked it. I didn’t know Lu Han hyung noticed me eyeing this jacket.

“Hyung! I can’t believe you bought this for me. Thank you so much!” I almost squealed from happiness.

“I like your gift for me as well. How’d you know I liked shoes?” He said happily when he opened the box to reveal the white black leather Converse low top shoes.

“Kids, say kimchi.” We smiled as my father held out the camera.

My parents gave gifts to both Lu Han hyung and me, they were both anklets. Lu Han hyung also prepared a gift for my parents without me knowing. He gave them matching scarfs. It was a good thing I didn’t buy scarfs and opted for gloves instead. I smiled triumphantly as I watch Lu Han hyung get along with my parents. I felt happy knowing that Lu Han hyung did not feel alone this Christmas and that my family is treating him like their son.

 

It was probably 1:30 by the time we returned to my room, our face full of smiles.

“Sehun-ah. Thank you.” Lu Han said as he settled on the bed. I settled myself on the futon beside the bed before replying, “For what, hyung?”

“For making my Christmas special this year. I’ve been celebrating with my foreign friends every Christmas for the past two years. But celebrating it with you and your family makes my heart grow fonder.” I could sense by the way he spoke that he was smiling.

“I’m glad you had fun. I didn’t want you to feel alone anymore. I don’t want to see you cry like last time.” I admitted.

“I’m glad you’re my dongsaeng, Sehun.” He said before shifting his position. That was a sign that he wanted to sleep so I spoke no more and waited for sleep to come.

 

--------------------

 

A week after, it was New Year. During New Year, we spend it at our grandparents’ house so I wanted to take Lu Han hyung but he insisted on not going. He said he already had plans to roam around Seoul with Kris hyung and Yixing hyung and he doesn’t want to burden my family by joining us to my grandparents’. I know he wouldn’t change his mind so I gave up. All the other trainees went back to their houses to celebrate New Year with their family and relatives while the Chinese trio went around Seoul. They went to Lotte World and took pictures, which Lu Han sent to me every time. I, on the other hand, was being bothered by my little cousins to play with them. I did play with them but my mind was on Lu Han hyung. I kept on wondering if he really felt okay with just Kris hyung and Yixing hyung to spend New Year with. But from the pictures he kept sending me, it did look like he was having fun. Oh well, might as well have fun with my cousins. It’s not every day I get to spend time with them like this.

 

--------------------

 

Year 2011. A new year, a new life. After the holidays, we were back in SM. Of course we weren’t surprised when another trainee came. But what were were surprised about was how animated Chanyeol got when the trainee came.

“Hey, what’s your name?” Chanyeol asked as soon as he sees the trainee.

“B-Baekhyun. Byun Baehyun.” Baekhyun was taken aback by Chanyeol but recovered his calm.

“I’m Chanyeol. How old are you?”

“19, you?” Baekhyun smiled.

“19 as well. Nice to meet you, Baekhyun. Hey guys, I want you to meet Baekhyun!” Chanyeol, finally remembering us, turned to introduce the new guy.

Chanyeol introduced each one of us to Baekhyun hyung like they’ve know each other for years. Baekhyun hyung was friendly and humorous so it did not take long for us to warm up to him. And by “us”, it meant all of us except Kai.

A few days after Baekhyun had entered as a trainee, I noticed that two of my best friends were not as outgoing as before. Kai, Chanyeol and I always goof around during break time but today, there was something different between the air around them. It was suffocating me to the point that I wanted to go to Lu Han hyung to breathe. But I stopped myself from doing that and instead, I opened up.

“Guys, is there some problem?” I asked, seriousness evident in my voice.

“What problem? Of course there’s no problem.” Kai answered without looking up from his PSP.

“Yeah, what problem, Sehun? You’re just thinking things.” Chanyeol laughed nervously.

“Do I look like I’m dumb? Obviously there’s a problem here.” I pointed at the two of them and both of them looked at each other before looking away almost immediately.

“Do you want me to torture the two of you into speaking? You know how I get when I’m pissed.” I threatened them. It worked eventually when Kai sighed.

“It’s just that Chanyeol had been too attached to this Baekhyun guy that he barely has enough time with us.” Kai grumbled.

“What?! Look who’s talking. Who was it that got so obsessed with taking selcas with our new wide-eyed friend Kyungsoo?” Chanyeol argued.

“Don’t call him wide-eyed. Your eyes are just as big as his right now. And your mouth is so much wider than his when you smile that goofy smile of yours!” Kai retorted. I stopped myself from laughing at the two of them. I didn’t know that their problem was the two new trainees they’ve been attached with. They’re weird.

“Don’t say that about my smile! A lot of people would die just to see me smile like that.” Chanyeol claimed.

“Guys… Please don’t fight about each other’s looks. It’s just so childish.” I rolled my eyes.

“And why are you two jealous of the two new trainees? It’s not like you like each other, right?” I asked playfully though I half-meant it.

“Of course not. That’s the most disgusting thing you’ve said.” Chanyeol made a face, followed by Kai.

“Then why are you fighting about them?” I raised an eyebrow.

“Because he doesn’t get to spend as much time with his best friends as before.” Kai admitted.

“Kai…” Chanyeol put a hand on Kai’s shoulder. “You know how much important you guys are to me, right? You two are my my best buddies. No one could replace you guys. But Baekhyun… Baekhyun’s different, okay?”

My jaw dropped at his confession. Was he saying he likes Baekhyun?

“Well, I kind of get what you’re saying, Chanyeol.” Kai sighed. “I’ve been feeling that about Kyungsoo hyung as well…”

What?! Do they mean what I think they mean? I looked apprehensively at the both of them.

“I guess we’re even then. Best buddies?” Chanyeol held out a hend. Kai grabbed it and pulled Chanyeol for a brotherly hug. Chanyeol grabbed my arm and both of them squished me in between them.

“Guys… Can’t... b-breathe.” I managed to say.

They eventually realized I was running out of oxygen supply and released me, laughing. “Sehun-ah. Thanks for helping us fix our misunderstanding.”

“Whatever, you guys are just weird. You’re so attached to those two like bubble gum.” I laughed at them.

“Look who’s talking.” Kai mumbled.

“Yeah, as if he isn’t attached to Lu Han hyung like that.” Chanyeol added.

“What?! You guys are really weird. You’re categorizing my relationship with Lu Han hyung with your relationships to Kyungsoo hyung and Baekhyun hyung. Ours is different, it’s brotherly love.” I retorted. I did not know why but I suddenly felt my cheeks get hotter.

“Whatever, you’ll just figure it out one day.” Kai mumbled again before going back to his PSP and Chanyeol watched beside him.

 

--------------------

 

“Hyung, I want bubble tea.” I said one day when Lu Han hyung and I were about to go inside Starbucks to buy our daily coffee.

“But what about our coffee?” Lu Han hyung pouted.

“Maybe next time. Let’s buy bubble milk tea, please.” I begged him.

“Fine. Let’s go.” He sighed and I jumped in excitement.

 

I’ve never been a fan of bubble tea before but the advertisement I saw yesterday at the mall got stuck in my head and I’ve been craving for it all night. It was a good thing I was going to practice with Lu Han hyung today. If it was Kai and Chanyeol, they probably would not agree with me because they always like the feeling of see me annoyed. And Lu Han hyung is not like that. He likes seeing me smile as much as possible so he frequently submits to my requests.

 

“Hyung, I want the coffee-flavored one.” I requested.

“What? I’m going to pay for it?” He raised an eyebrow.

“Fine, fine. I’ll buy. What do you want?” I sighed in defeat.

“I’m just kidding.” Lu Han laughed at my expression. “I’ll buy today.”

He went to the store and bought two big bubble tea, one coffee-flavored and another honeydew-flavored. He gave me my bubble tea and the moment I drank it, I felt like I was in heaven. I sipped non-stop until it was almost empty. I heard Lu Han hyung giggle.

“What?” I asked.

“You look so cute. Do you want another one?” He chuckled and I nodded.

“I will buy you another one… tomorrow.” He snickered.

“What? Tomorrow? Why can’t it be now?” I whined.

“As you can see, I’m not yet halfway finished with my own and we will be running late for practice. You don’t want the instructor scolding us, do you?” He said.

“Fine, tomorrow, then.” I pouted.

 

Ever since then, it has always been a habit of ours to buy bubble tea either before practice, after practice or on rare occasions, both. Lu Han hyung and I became much closer after that. You could say that we had the best brother relationship among the trainees and I have never felt so happy about before.

 

 

 

A/N: Hey guys! How do you like this chapter? :D I did my best to make this chapter fun and long so I hope you liked it.
Thanks for reading~!!! Do comment sometime, I want to know what you think. ^.^