Final

If Fate Allows It

As soon as I was mobile enough, I was whooshed to my to SM Entertainment, where my own CEO along with Lee Soo Man was ready to prep me for an uncalled for series of interviews with the press and media. To say I was mobile was quite the overstatement; I was doing a movement that was somewhere between hobbling and limping to get around. You would think that Nichkhun hyung would have settled everything with his own interviews while I was in the hospital, or at the very least, calm the waters for me. But mind you, the waters were not calm and I was in the hospital for two weeks. Given normal circumstances, things would have died down by now...

As far as my knowledge, Yuri and Taeyeon had yet to attend any interviews or have any press conferences for this particular incident. For some reason, our companies wanted to wait until I was released from the hospital, so we could do interviews as a group of three. I don't know if it was for a shameless promotion or that's just exactly what the media wanted.

I was only half-paying attention to what the CEOs in front of me were saying. I would occasionally nod my head and respond with a subtle yes to give the illusion that I was in fact listening. Judging by the fact that I was the only one they were meeting, I think they had already briefed Yuri and Taeyeon. All I knew was I probably should have listened to them, but I was too preoccupied with my own thoughts to give a damn.

Our first interview was apparently in a few hours. I was sent to the bowels of SM to get my make-up done while my manager hyung brought me suitable attire for the interview. I texted Taeyeon to see if she could come keep me company.

To Angel Baby:
Baby~ are you at the company?? If yes, please come to the make-up department, I’m getting my face all prettied up for our interview….

From Angel Baby:
Araseo~ I’ll be down soon! :*


Once everything was said and done, Yuri, Taeyeon and I were hustled into a van and on our way to our first of many interviews. At least the car ride wasn’t as awkward as it could be. We made small talk, trying to shake the pre-interview anxieties, well… I was at least. I was trying to anticipate the questions that they would ask us. When we arrived at the recording studio, Taeyeon and Yuri helped me out of the van, one on either side, assisting me with each step as we were escorted into the building. It’s a good thing the three of us were wearing sunglasses because the paparazzi’s lights were blinding.

Everything was happening relatively quickly, I guess the station was rushing to get this story on the air. Supply and demand, am I right? I’ve never seen a PD-nim move so swiftly, usually we have to wait quite a bit until things are ready and settled before any filming begins. This guy was on top of his game. We were settled into our places across from the hosts of the show within minutes of our arrival. I was situated between Taeyeon and Yuri in an all too cozy-for-comfort love seat intended for two people and not three. I could feel their body heat radiating off them. It didn’t help that they were almost sandwiching me between them, pinching my ribs a bit. But, to be honest, that wasn’t the thing that brought me the most discomfort and anxiety, it was the fact that we were so close… their fanboys are going to kill me, no doubt. And I must say, their fanboys are no joke, they ARE Sonyuh Shidae. Dear Lord, have mercy on me.

The show started with the usual greetings and introduction. From my perspective, the audience seemed to be visually on the edge of their seats. Their bodies leaning forward as an attempt to be the first to hear our answers. They were hooked on every word that left our mouths, as if they were devouring the information. I guess this all is a very big deal?

"So, how are the three of you feeling after the Gayo Daejun incident?" the male host asked us eagerly and with much enthusiasm. To be completely honest, his constant smile was freaking me out. However, I gave him a weak smile as Taeyeon and Yuri answered his question. "How are you feeling _______-ssi? Our hero!"

"Well, I wouldn't exactly call myself a hero... But I'm doing great, I'm still recovering and taking some medicine for my wound, other than that, never better," I said with my charming eye smile.

"Oppa, what are you talking about?? You are a hero!!" Yuri exclaimed in response to my words. Taeyeon in turn supplemented Yuri's argument with her own reaction.

"Andwae, oppa is too humble! You are a hero, a life saver!" Taeyeon said firmly, patting my leg once to reiterate her words. I gave an awkward smile, rubbing the back of my neck.

"So, _______-ssi tell us what was running through your mind during this life or death situation?"

"Well... Nothing. I wasn't thinking really. It just happened. I wanted the audience safe as well as Taeyeon-ssi and Yuri-ssi... Even if it meant my life. If anything were to happen I would rather it me and not anyone else," I said slowly and carefully.

From that day on, I became known as the gentle heart idol. A sensation of some sort in its own right. This whole hero idea was apparently a hit with the public. The press wanted more and all of a sudden, I became a name known in common households across the nation. The president even wanted to honor me with an award to which it was impossible to say no to. And to be honest, I wasn’t exactly thrilled about the sudden signal boosting of my name. It really wasn’t what I wanted to be known for, my music was everything and still is everything to me at this point, not my face or my character blown up out of proportion.

But who knows, I guess I should just let life take its course. If anything, I think hyung deserves more credit in this whole ordeal. He did apprehend the suspect. All I really did was take a bullet, not really that heroic at all. It was a no brainer. I’d risk my life again if it meant I could preserve someone’s life. Frankly speaking, Taeyeon and Yuri are two people I love. I’d do it again in a heartbeat, even if it meant the second time I would lose my life.

A few more weeks passed by and the media began to die down a bit. With each interview that aired, the public calmed and soon enough   this whole thing became a thing of the past.

~~~

It was a regular Wednesday night when things in our lives changed significantly. Taeyeon and I had no schedule, so we were just hanging out at the studio trying to work out some notes for our latest co-composed song. We were scratching in the notes together as I played it all out on the piano.

“Taeyeon-ah~ Babyyyy~ Taetae,” I cooed to which there was no answer. I internally pouted to myself and a sneaky idea popped in my head. I cupped her cheek gently with my right hand and pulled her to look at me. She tried to shake my hand off, but I proceeded to gently pinch her adorable little cheek, “Baby boooo”

“WAEEEE,” Tae exclaimed in frustration, I chuckled quietly at her reaction. Gosh, she’s so adorable. I’m so glad she’s mine.

“Are the girls busy? I think today is a good day to tell them,” I said bluntly. I don’t think she was following me at first because she gave me a confused look; I smiled, “about US.”

She was hesitant at first but final agreed after some further convincing. She sent the girls a message in their chat room to see if everyone could meet in the dorms in about an hour. Luckily all the girls were free despite such late notice, which was quite a rarity for them. Some times I go weeks without seeing a certain member, particularly if they’re participating in a drama or reality show. Now I just have an hour, give or take to mentally prepare myself for what is to come next. Honestly I wonder how the girls are going to take it. How on earth are we going to do this? I don’t even know where to begin…will they think I'm just moving from member to member or will they accept Taeyeon and I as a genuine relationship?

Finally it was time and I found myself outside SNSD’s dorm fearing for my life, not sure what kind of hell would break lose after our little announcement… The girls were already gather around, munching on a variety of snacks when we enter the living room. I gave them a smile and greeted them. I looked to Taeyeon, waiting for her to take the lead on this. She gave me a small smile before she took my hand and gently intertwined our fingers together. I felt her warmth spread into my body, it was like an invisible blanket of comfort encircled my being. Leave it to my angel to do the littlest thing and somehow have a momentous effect on me.

The girls looked at us, wide-eyed and eyebrows raised. I gave them a nervous smile and scratched the back of my neck unconsciously.  I took a quick glance at Jess and Yuri to see how they were reacting. Jessica was stone-faced and I knew she completely perturbed with the matters that were unfolding before her. Yuri was harder for me to read. I wasn’t sure how she was feeling, especially after the talk we had at the hospital. I suppose she would be okay even if our news did take her by surprise, which I’m sure it would because only Taeyeon and I knew about our relationship.

"Girls, I just wanted to tell you... Oppa and I have been dating and we wanted to tell you all," Taeyeon said clearly, searching for the any reactions in the girls' facial expressions.

"MWOO?!" came from Sooyoung who nearly choked on the food she was chewing. I felt so helpless, all I could do was give them smiles and nod my head silently. I really was at a lost for words. I guess Tae did have to take this one by the reigns. "How long?"

"About two months. We didn't want to say anything because we weren't really sure ourselves," Taeyeon answered, trying to give them a bit of explanation for our secrecy.

I could understand their confusion. From their perspective they were probably feeling conflicted. I DID date Yuri for an extended amount of time. For all I knew, I could be easily be branded a player at this point... I kind of had a thing with almost one third of this group already if you counted Jessi in this mix.

The next thirty minutes of our meeting consisted of the girls throwing rapid fire questions at us. Things like when we started, how I asked Tae to be my girl, and other things along those lines. Surprisingly they were taking our news well, however it didn’t stop them from threatening me.

“Oppa, you better take good care of Taeyeon, “ Hyoyeon said firmly, mean mugging me. To which the girls chimed in as well. I nodded my head with a bashful smile.

“Yes ma’am! I promise I’ll take good care of Taeyeon!” I said, then jokingly saluting them with a cheeky smile.

“We know, you already risked your life for two of our members. Thank you for that oppa,” Tiffany said with a sincere eye smile. We kept talking for a bit, eventually the subject of the conversation was changed, much to my relief.


I could see Jess was upset. I know what was said broke her heart and I couldn’t blame anyone but myself. As soon as the commotion died down and the girls were chatting normally, Jess excused herself to her room. I got up and excused myself as well. I gave Taeyeon a look, in hopes she would understand. She wasn’t exactly elated, but I know she understood. Regardless of what was between us, Jessica is still my best friend.

I knocked on her door gently. There was no answer.

“Jess, I’m coming in on the count of three. One, Two…” I said firmly, my count was interrupted when the door flung open, revealing a hastily composed Jessi. Her hair was disheveled her cheeks were slightly tear-stained. Oh no, this wasn’t going to do.

“What do you want?” She said cold, not even bothering to look my way. Her piercing cold eyes where staring straight ahead, almost looking through me like I was a ghost of some sort. I knew then we were going to have to talk this out, leaving things this way wasn’t going to solve our problem, if anything it was just going to agitate them.

“Come with me,” I said sternly. I grabbed her hand and pulled gently but forcefully behind me. She tried to resist me, but I was overpowering her attempts as I tried to make our way out of the dorm. There was no way we would be able to talk about this with the girls here.

For the sake of our friendship, I wanted whatever was said and done between us to stay between us. I didn’t want outside parties to misunderstand our bond, Taeyeon included. If she were to get mad at us, then I would take her wrath in full later.

“YAHHH!” Jessica yelled, which only to successfully grabbed the attention of the rest of the girls. They looked at us questioningly, with wide eyes. I wave them off and gave Taeyeon a little nod and continued about my business.

I managed to get Jessica down the elevator and into the parking lot with minimal resistance, I guess. I opened the passenger door for her and motioned her to get in. With much displeasure she got into the car. I silently closed the door and made my way to the driver’s side. I just started driving to nowhere in particular. Just, anywhere but here. Who knows how long we drove in complete silence, it wasn’t uncomfortable but it wasn’t soothing. I could see Jess was on edge, she had her arms crossed as she looked straight ahead.

I found a small beach, pulled over to the side of the road and parked the car. I got out and went to open the door for Jess. She gave me a questioning look. I offered my hand to which she cautiously took, not forgetting to give me a sassy eye-roll.  I shoved my jacket at her. I locked the car and we walking down to the beach, her hand in mine.

I stopped at the shore line and let go of her hand, looking at her seriously.

“Let it out,” I said firmly.

“What?” She asked coldly. Clearly she was not in the mood for this, but I wasn’t going to leave her in this state. Not my Jessi. As a best friend, this is the very least I could do for her.

“Jung Sooyeon, let it out. All those pent up emotions. Just yell it out, nobody will hear it, please get it off your chest. I beg you,” I said, whispering my plead. Thankfully the wind was howling and she probably didn’t hear it.

“Oppa, I have nothing to say, “ She said callously. I know her, this is Jessica we’re talking about. I could see it in her eyes, she was pleading with me to help her with these conflicting emotions she was experiencing, whether she was aware of it or not. Then I did something crazy.

I took her hand, gently pulling her closer to me. Our faces were inches away, I could feel her warm breathe on my face. I cupped her cheek with my other hand, leaned down and I kissed her. I think we were just absorbed by the moment, but after a minute, we separated and her eyes were filled with rage. Boom, just what I wanted.

“YAH ARE YOU CRAZY!” She screamed at the topped her lungs, pushing me away from her. Then she came running at me, beating me mercilessly. I took it, I just let her do what she needed to do. “DOES TAEYEON EVEN MEAN ANYTHING TO YOU? YOU SENSELESS JERK! I HATE YOU. I HATE YOU. I HATE YOU!”

She collapsed into my arms, sobbing. My arms instinctively enveloped her.

“Jess you know I love you and I only want the best for you, right?” I asked her, my chin resting on the top of her head. She nodded yes into my chest. I her hair gently, holding her tight, “Just let it all out. What happens here is between us.  When we get back to Seoul we leave all this here, alright? Take as long as you need, oppa will take care of you. I don’t want to lose you because you think you should bear this burden on your own. I’m here for you and we will work through this, okay? Just believe in me a little Jess~”

A bit later, Jess calmed down and we were sitting on the beach next each other, just talking. It was like old times, no awkward air between the two of us. The sleepy head fell asleep, so I had to carry her back to the car. She is truly the queen of sleep. I waited until dawn to find a convenience store to grab a cup of coffee before I drove back into the city.

We came back to Seoul early morning the next day. Taeyeon didn’t ask me any questions. I think she was just glad to see Jessi back to her normal self, as was I. We had a long talk on beach. Things were starting to look for the better for Jessi and I was glad. I only want the best for her.  I think the rest of the girls knew better than to ask what happened and we left it at that.

I spend a little time with the girls and ate breakfast courtesy of Hyoyeon and Sunny. Unfortunately I had another round of schedules for the day before I could address my last bit of unfinished business with the past that finally caught up with me.

It was around 2 am when I finally finished with my schedules. I was in the dorm, settling in for bed. I was laying there, pondering the past and my life presently. Then I sent two people who I hadn't contacted in who knows how many years... Two? Maybe three or four... I sent one of the two a SMS, not really hoping for a reply, but much to my surprise it was almost immediate.

 

To: Khun hyung

Hyung… we need to talk…

 

From: Khun hyung

Dongsaeng-ah~ it’s been too long. Of course, are you free tomorrow?

 

To: Khun hyung

Mmm, de hyung. Meeting in our old spot at 7?

 

From: Khun hyung

Araseo, ________-ah. I’m looking forward to seeing you then. Jal ja~

 

To: Khun hyung

You too hyung.

 

I sent Taeyeon a good night SMS before I knocked out for the night.

~~~

I woke early the next day; maybe it was because I was anxious about meeting hyung after so long. I put on a cap, grabbed my keys and I was out the door. I drove to the old café hyung and I used to always go to. It was the first place he took me. It became our precious place after that and our main spot. It’s been years since I’ve last step foot into the store and it’s a wonder that everything seems to have remained the same despite these weary years that have passed us by.

I walked through that same old door, where the same old bell above it rang brightly to my ears. I couldn’t help but smile a little; it was so reminiscent of my younger years. I greeted the owner before I found a corner table and set my stuff down. I ordered our usual; hopefully hyung is still into the same things. I took a few moments to admire the place while I waited for our drinks and food to arrive. I found myself caught in a daze when the bell above the door rang loud and clear, reaching my ears effortlessly. I looked up and saw Khun hyung walking towards me, a smile adorned on his face as he waved at me. I stood up, making my way towards him and pulled him into a brief hug. Neither of us said anything once we separated, automatically sitting ourselves down at the table. We made small talk as our food was arriving. Luckily, hyung was still up for our long forgotten usual.

“Mmm, hyung…” I said after I took a sip of my café mocha. He nodded his head, grunting in response as he took another bite of his blueberry Danish. “I wanted to congratulate you and Tiff on your relationship. I’m happy for you two…”

Hyung stopped eating, putting down his Danish as he looked at me shocked. He was probably wondering how I knew, I gave him a wide a grin and didn’t speak any further.

“You know ______-ah… I owe you apology… I wrong you all those years ago. I don’t even know where to begin to explain myself… I’m sorry, I hope you forgive me,” Hyung said, looking me in the eyes as he spoke. I nodded my head gently and gave him a small smile.

“I forgave you a long time ago, hyung. Both of you. Don’t apologize, life takes it’s course and if fate allows it, then so be it. I wouldn’t be the man I am today if things didn’t happen. I wouldn’t have Taeyeon,” I said, whispering the last part about Taeyeon.  Again, hyung’s eyes went wide. “Haha, yeah Taeyeon and I have been dating for a few months now.”

I was glad I finally got that off my chest and we were able to make peace with the past together. It’s good to have my hyung back. We talked and caught up with each other before hyung had to leave for a schedule.

My day was still free and hopefully  I could finish the rest of my unfinished business before the sun set and possibly see Taeyeon before the day’s end. I gave Yuri a call for the first time in God knows how long. The phone rang a few times before she picked up.

Y: Yobosaeyo? Oppa?

X: Yuri-yah~ let’s meet up? At Halmoni’s if you’re free.

Y: Araseo, I’ll be there in an hour.

X: Ara, see you then. Drive safe.

I drove over to halmoni’s. Mijoon hyung was out for the day because he finally found a lucky lady who he took on a weekend trip to Busan. Halmoni finally got some new blood to help her around the shop. His name was Minwoo and I was pretty sure he was surprised to see me in a place like Halmoni’s (no offense).

Being back in halmoni’s restaurant was like being back into the past. I felt almost like my younger self. It was like the past, us meeting a halmoni’s. Me getting there early, anxiously awaiting Yuri’s arrival. Man, life really is a wonder. To think that at one point in my life I was head over heels for Yuri and I was mindlessly chasing fame, for the sole purpose of being a public figure. These years have molded me into a completely different person. No longer am I a boy who searches for approval and affection from others senselessly. I was foolish and naïve, thinking that by simply by using aegyo and cheap gimics on variety shows, I would be noticed.  I’m glad I have stood the test of time and learned from my mistakes and realized what really matters in life.

I was so deep in thought that I didn’t even notice Yuri sneak up behind me. She tapped my shoulder and her face was way to close to mine. I turned around and almost fell out of my seat.

“Oppa Anyeong,” She greeted with a cheerful smile as she sat down. I recollected myself before I gave her a big smile.

“Anyeong, Yuri-yah~!” I said happily, my eyes disappearing as my smile appeared. Yuri was more than happy to see that our food had already arrived, which was probably for the best… that way Minwoo wouldn’t obnoxiously fanboy over Yuri while we caught up with each other.

“Wassup oppa?” She asked, getting straight to the point. I guess I was just going to jump into this one head first. I gave her a faint smile, trying to collect my thoughts before I even began to speak.

“Hmm, first off, I just wanted you to know that I forgive you. I forgave you a long time ago,” I said softly, looking sincerely in her eyes. I really did forgive her long ago. I admit, it wasn’t immediate and it was definitely a process. But once I forgave her and hyung, I did not harbor any ill feelings towards them. All I wanted to do was see if they were well, but I knew it wasn’t meant to be and I was just supposed to keep moving forward with my life. It was apparent that Yuri was taken off guard at the sudden mention of our past. I gave her a weak smile and patted her hand lightly before withdrawing my own hand quickly.

“Mmm.. I don’t know what to say oppa… “ She started to talk, but I cut her off before things could get anymore complicated. With yet another gentle smile I happily cut her off and prevented further lingering thoughts and words on the topic at hand.

“There’s nothing to say Yuri. What matters is I forgive you and hyung. The two of you are still and always have been some of my most precious people,” I said, grinning from ear to ear. Yuri looked teary eyed as I spoke, “Uhljima~”

“Araseo… oppa… gomawo… I’m so grateful to have a friend like you…” She said, trying to choke back the tears. I reach across the table and gently wiped her tears, giving her hand a comforting squeeze. We sat in silence for a while before she spoke once more, “That was the first thing and the second thing? Or third?”

“Just one more thing, I hope now you understand what was said at the hospital between us. I truly hope that you find happiness, I’m just glad that at one point I was lucky enough to be that source happiness for you,” I said calmly, smiling every now and then at her. I didn’t want her to cry again, but it seemed like a sensitive topic for the both of us. “Take care of yourself Yuri and oppa will always watch over you, arachi?”

“Umm… araseo oppa. Gomawo.. I am speechless. I’m so lucky to have someone like you in my life, “ She said, her words trailing off as if she was trying to articulate herself with carefully chosen words.

“Aniya, aniya~ don’t speak nonsense,” I said, waving my hands and shaking my head no. After our serious, heartfelt talk we were able to both compose ourselves and enjoy a long overdue afternoon snack between two old friends. I was happy things were able to turn out like this and not any other way else. “One last thing, thank you for accepting Taeyeon and I.”

~~~

Yuri and I parted ways and I still had the rest of the day free. I decided to use it to surprise Taeyeon. Turns out she was on a schedule, luckily Fany has an extra key to her apartment and was more than happy to let me in Taeyeon’s apartment. I texted her and she said she wouldn’t be done with her schedules until 2 am. Boo, so I decided to spend the day tidying up her place.

After that, I hung out in Taeyeon’s room, browsing the web on my phone. To say I was bored was to say the least When will my Taetae get home~~. It was already past two and I was fight sleep tooth and nail. I decided to make a sign hang it around my neck. I quickly scribbled: Taeyeon-ah~ Wake me up when you get home~. I sat in the corner of the bed, using the wall as support and I was out before I knew it.

Taeyeon POV

I unlocked the door and walked in, leaving my stuff at the door. I was exhausted and I couldn’t wait to have some quality time with my bed. Hmm this place seems cleaner than usual… Anyways, off to bed with you Taeyeon. I washed up quickly, anticipating my sleep more and more.

Much to my surprise I found an unwarranted guest in my bedroom. How did ________ oppa get in here? Aigoo, I’m too tired to think. I squinted my eyes to see what was scrawled on the piece of paper hung around his next by a piece of yarn. Jincha this dork. I smiled unconsciously. I gently took the sign off of him, and pulled him down to the bed and cuddled him as I drifted off to sleep.

THE END.


Thank you for reading and subscribing! Comment what you guys think!! Any feedback and suggestions for possible future fics would be greatly appreciated