Chapter 15

Fate Will Find A Way

  What you said meant so much, that it played over and over again as you both continue to stare at each other.

JiYong looks at you as if the world around him stopped, he feels the warm flow of blood rushing from his heart, but his hands were cold, shaking.

He recalls the first time his gazed his eyes on you…

Walking along on this brick path, he was with his aunt at that time. The idea of moving from one place to another is not a good idea for him. For the past years, he had been transferring from one house to another, one school to another.

And now her aunt enters him to another school, in another place.

He was following his aunt who was talking to the principal at that time, as he continues to look around the school area. Big trees, students walking around at the campus, nothing special, until his eyes reached the soccer field.

You were there, seating at the bench at side of the field. Having a fun talk with DaeSung.

And there is something, something that he didn’t know, he wasn’t familiar with that he felt.

 He never forgets it all, your smile, your laugh, and how you hid your hair at the side of your ears. Your expressive eyes that sparkle every time you smile. He felt a rush of happiness, a happiness that he never felt before.

You have caught him ever since. That he never took his eyes off you. Ever.

And from that day on, he said to himself that he will never leave this place no matter what.

            The next day, he enters the school so anxious, not because he might not be welcomed by his classmates and all,

            But because he might see you again.

            And being a boy turning into a man, he doesn’t have the courage to show what he truly feels.

            Walking at the busy corridors, he was searching for the room for his first class, until he sees you there, sitting on the floor, writing something in your notebook.

            He wanted to talk to you, ask for your name, and ask from what class are you.

            But fate seemed have a better plan for that.

SeungRi entered the scene as he sat beside you, talking to you, annoying you like what he does everyday.

And from afar, he was there again, looking at you. And he knows he have to do something before someone else does.

He had first met and talked with DaeSung when you went home earlier after helping your aunt at the library. He happened to be looking for a book , and he saw you there again, fixing books at one of the tables placed there.

Upon finishing the last set of books to be checked, you then got your bag from a seat next to you, as you bid farewell to DaeSung, who was sitting at the opposite side of the table.

Good thing DaeSung is an approachable person, and he already met JiYong at their music organization, that talking to him is a bit of an easy thing to do.

He was able to get your name, then. And upon hearing them, a smile was slowly drawn from his lips.

“______________…”, he said.

“Yes. Her name is _________________…”, DaeSung said, while writing something on his notebook.

“…Why did you ask?”, he asked as he stopped in writing, now looking at JiYong who was seating in front of him now.

“Nothing… I… I… I was just curious, I always see her with you and…”, JiYong said, in denial.

“We’ve been best friends ever since, that’s why.”, he said, with assurance.

JiYong then breaths in relief, he had finally one thing in mind all clear.

            Right then, he knew where to go to when he wants to know something about you.

            “Movies, she likes to watch movies…”,DaeSung said as he goes up the stage. Practice for the band just ended

            “…say, you’ve been asking a lot of questions about _______________, but I haven’t seen you talking to her….”, DaeSung said, while fixing the instruments the band used in their practice.

            “…Ya! You like her, do you? ”, DaeSung continued, after placing the guitar on its case.

            He stops moving, then looks at DaeSung who was sitting at the center of the stage at that time.

            “I…”, he was stuttering, he don’t know what to say. He never expected DaeSung would notice it all along, well he knew this would happen, but he already planned on telling to him. Not now.

            “You don’t have to say the words… I can already tell it the moment you step into this school.”, DaeSung said, as he stands up, carrying the guitar case, goes near JiYong.

            “The moment you asked for her name at the library, I know you were up to something… I mean I’m a guy, I know. And I will know”, he said, smiling as he walks at a small room backstage, placing the guitars on a big cabinet.

            “Do you think, do you think I have the chance if I tell her?”, he asked, as he followed DaeSung.

            “Not now I guess. I mean, for her its too early to say it. We need time, in that way, you can make sure of your feelings first.”, he said as he tapped JiYong’s shoulder.

            “Can you help me?”, JiYong asked, a man of few words he is, but he expresses them all in a different way.

            “I will, don’t worry.” DaeSung said in assurance, as he smiled and goes back to the stage, getting some instruments.

            Few weeks passed, and a news spread around the campus. It was him involved, after being called a “nobody” by one of the bullies at school, plus the fact that he saw that guy tried to play a prank on you, got on his nerves.

            He really didn’t want to do it, but growing up without a father, losing his mother at an early age, being humiliated by his cousins and aunt sometimes.

            His character displayed fear, fear of being stepped on by others, that he grew as a man covering it all with courage, courage to fight for what he thinks he is right, like what his mother told her on a letter.

            He only meant to protect himself, and to make sure no one would try to harm you as long as he is around.

            But he crossed the border…

            And another came, to recall, it was a junior male student, the junior male student who asked you out on a Saturday night date, while he has a girl friend from another school located in the city.

            “Girls, they are not supposed to be played with, they are treated with respect, and they are meant to be protected, so if its your plan to put HER in your collection, better start getting your things, and leave…”, JiYong said, as he holds the guys collar and pulls him up. The poor guy really looked like he will break down any moment from the pain he got as JiYong’s fist hit him, blood drips from his lips, as sweat falls from his face

            “ …because from now on, I’ll be here to protect her.”, JiYong said it in his ears all clear, as he pushes him back down to the ground.

            JiYong looked like nothing had happened. His uniform, a little worn-out as he wipes his face with a clean handkerchief. He left the rooftop that night leaving the student all alone.

            Everyone knew the news including you, that image, that image he didn’t want you to see. His protective side, his side that what other people look at as something they should be scared about.

            But they shouldn’t be…

            Because one thing that he all knew he wanted to do in life, is to protect the people he love, something he wasn’t able to do with his mother.

            After that incident, no one was able to understood him except for DaeSung who would secretly talked to him. He even remembers how you said that you pity him, and you wanted to talk to him, but his fearless aura scares you.

            DaeSung saw a smile on his face upon hearing it.

            “If only she knew you , that inner you…”, DaeSung said with a smile on his face.

            And then fate seemed to know the right time for everything.

            That day came, when you bumped into each other, his coffee was spilled on his uniform, as the books you were carrying fell down on the floor.

            It was indeed a disaster, a disaster that pushed him to take the next step.

            While gazing to your eyes, scaring you, showing that side of him that everyone of you has been known, his heart beats a lot faster than what you think. Deep inside, he wanted to scream, to scream in happiness. A feeling hidden in him, that will slowly burst.

            He met with DaeSung on that day after you got home. And like a mad man, he kept on asking DaeSung what you felt, what are you planning to do tomorrow…

            He was definitely in bliss, falling on an endless bliss.

            And that day came, where you met at the rooftop, where he asked you to wash his clothes, and the accidental kiss.

            He was flustered, not knowing what to do when he sees you tomorrow. Staring blankly at nowhere most of the time while walking home, his hands reached its pocket, and noticed that his mother’s necklace wasn’t there.

            He retraced his way back home at that time, that even the pouring rain didn’t stop him.

            And then you came to his home the next day, holding that one thing he’s been looking for, a part of his past, being held by someone that has a big part of his present.

            When he then knew you were there, he knew that what he feels is right.

            Finally, he is complete.

            And now he heard everything from you, that words that he thought would be impossible to hear from you, the words he dreamed that would one day she will hear from you

            That you feel the same way…

            Now…

            You are still looking at him surprised, shocked. You can’t believe he was the one you’ve been talking to the whole time.

            Looking at him, wide-eyed. Your fingers slowly the leave the sleeve of his shirt, as you bow down in embarrassment.

            “I’m sorry…”, you said in a soft voice, looking down as your cheeks turn red.

            His hands were about to held yours, as you suddenly ran away from the scene, leaving JiYong and DaeSung behind.

            Running away, you reached the river side of the city, over viewing half the city. Catching your breath, still feeling the embarrassment, you sat on a elevated concrete at the side of the river.

            “Aish! _______________, you little fool!”, you said to yourself, tapping your head a little.

            Until…

            “_____________________….”, a deep  familiar voice, shouted from your left..