Chapter 12

Fate Will Find A Way

It’s almost 5:30.

 

You’ve been sitting here beside JiYong for almost an hour. You are so worried, and never seen him in such condition. As someone he knows, you watched over him and like what you said earlier, you never left.

 

You placed a damp cloth on his forehead, and check his temperature every now and then. Finally, it went down a little. He has stopped shivering, and he’s like a little kid sleeping so soundly now.

 

You’ve been staring at him the whole time. Seeing that eye-catching aura of him. He looks so handsome, even if he’s just sleeping. His eyes, his nose, his lips, everything seemed to be captivating.

 

“How did you capture me right now?”, you asked yourself in a soft voice, as your hands slowly move from its position, making its way slowly to his face. Your fingers were about to go closer, but something tells you, you shouldn’t. That you place your hands back to its position.

 

“I guess you’re okay now. I should better be going…”, you whispered with a smile from your face.

You remembered the necklace you will give to him that you looked for it right away inside your bag.

 

            You leaned a little closer to him, as you place the necklace slowly to his palm, making sure you won’t be waking him up .

 

            As you were placing the necklace he suddenly turns around, now facing you. You felt something so different, as your skins almost met. His nose nearly met yours, his eyes that were closed, seemed like that they were looking at you. His mouth makes that breathing sound. A sound that makes melody in your ears, you had never heard before.

 

            You look away, but remained still in that position. You were quite surprised, that his mouth then opens, making that breathing sound disappears. But he whispers a name, which made that melody even sounded even better.

 

            “________________…”, he whispered, like a song, like a line from a  poem.

 

            You look away, taking a deep breath, and a different smile comes out of your face. A smile that never came out of that beautiful face of yours.

 

            You slowly move away from him, since you’ve placed the necklace carefully in his hand. You then carry your bag, and stood up from your position carefully. Leaving him, for you’ve done everything for him to be okay.

 

            You left his room, closing its door without making any sound. You didn’t hear JiYong whisper again, in a sad and longing tone.

           

            “Mom…”, he whispered, as his hands then closed, grasping the necklace in his hands.

 

            You then left the house, closing the main door and locking it from the inside. You lit up the light in its living room, to let other people know someone is inside the house.

 

           You started to walk away from his house, since you were also in a rush going home. No one knows where you went, and you feel everyone is worried.

 

            You have reached the last house in the street, and an old man then calls your attention.

            “You came from JiYong’s house?”, an old man who was sitting in front of his house, asks.

            “Yes. I just gave him something he left at school.”, you said politely.

            “Ah. Was it a necklace?”, the old man asks, as he slowly stands up, then went near you.

            “Yes, how did you know about it?”, you asked, since you were quite surprised he knows what you just gave to JiYong.

            “He’s been looking for that necklace yesterday. He was out all night, looking for it. I saw him went back and forth from his home to your school, as he retraces his track, thinking he just dropped it somewhere. The strong rain didn’t even stop him from searching. I see how important that necklace is to him…”, the old man said, as he was looking away, recalling what happened that night.

            “…good thing you’re kind enough that you saw it and returned it to him.”, he continued, now looking at you with a smile in his face.

           

            You felt a little shocked that JiYong had done such thing. You felt how hard he looked for that necklace, that he even went through such strong rain. Maybe it’s the real reason at all, fate made a way for you to see him.

           

I was just doing my part. By chance, do you know who owns the necklace?”, you asked.

“All I know, it belongs to her mother. She died when he was 4. No one knew the reason. After that he grew up in his own, but his grandfather took care of him. They’ve transferred from place to place, since his grandfather is taking medications. And now he’s here, on his own, his relatives are in the city taking care of his grandfather. Every now and then, relatives would see him, but none of them stayed with him.”, he said.

 

“How about his father, Do you know where he is?”, you asked

“No. I don’t know, her aunt is a bit hesitant to talk about…”, he said

“…by the way, did you know it’s my first time to see someone visiting him? You are kind-hearted young lady.”, the old man continued

Meanwhile at JiYong’s house.

 

He wakes up from a long sleep, and saw himself lying down on the floor. He’s covered with a thick blanket, and a damp cloth is placed over his forehead. He’s surprised to see himself in such condition, since the last thing he remembers is that he’s looking for the necklace.

 

He then moves from his position, now sitting on the floor. The damp cloth from his forehead, falls down in his lap, and saw something is strange.

 

He then gets the damp cloth, as he was surprised that it wasn’t a cloth at all, it’s a handkerchief. A name is embroidered on its side, making him surprised. He had never expected a name would appear.

 

“_________________…”, he whispered as he grasp the handkerchief in his hand, astonished

 

The necklace, which was placed in his palm, falls down on the floor,

making a clinking sound. He then looked at where it came from, and he was so surprised that he saw the necklace in his side.

 

            He then slowly picks the necklace from his side. And stared at it for a moment, that he felt so relieved that he has the necklace back, finally. But he’s so confused on how it came back to him, and why is it that your handkerchief is with him.

 

            He then stands up, and ran downstairs, thinking you were still there. He moved in a flash, like he’s not sick, he’s breathing like he doesn’t feel any pain earlier. Like your hands, healed him.

 

            He looked everywhere, and didn’t saw you.

 

            He then went out of his house, running. Running like nothing happened, as his hand grasps the necklace and your handkerchief. He then reaches the last house in their street, and saw the old man going inside the house.

 

            “Mister Lee!”, he shouted, panting.

            “Oh JiYong! What’s the problem? Are you feeling better now?”, he asked, as he walked towards him

            “Did…Did you saw a young girl who just went inside the house? Who was also wearing a school uniform same as mine?”, he asked, as he gasp for air, while his eyes looked around thinking you’re still nearby.

            “Ah. ___________________? She already went home. Yes, she went to your house. She told me that you were sick, that she stayed and took care of you for a while. And yes, she was the one who returned the necklace. By the way, have you seen it?”, the old man asked.

            “Yes. I’ve seen it…”, as he raises his hand, the one who holds the necklace.

            “…I’ve finally seen it…”, as he looked away, staring at the direction out of their street, with a bright smile in his face

            “…I’ve finally.”, he said, smiling even brighter, like his doing well. Like he doesn’t have fever anymore. Like he’s even better than before

Finally, he found his true happiness