Chapter 13

Fate Will Find A Way

The sun has already bid farewell.

 

You have already left the old man you were talking to a while ago, since you know your mother will be so worried. No one knew where you went, including DaeSung.

 

            You are now walking back to your home under these dark skies filled with glittering stars, and the moon that gives light to your way.

 

            You then realize that your house is a bit far from JiYong’s. You only feel the place near when you are running. But something is telling you not to make a run going back home.

 

            Even though the streets are  empty.

 

            You are now on a street where most of the people in your place get scared, since a lot of stories come in everyday. Everything that frightens you is all in here.

 

Dark, narrow.

 

            But you had no choice; you have to pass this creepy shortcut just to get home. And it’s the easiest way, if you have to take the right route, you’ll be spending more time in walking.

 

            There was nothing you see, but a narrow street with red-painted walls in its side.

 

            Lamp posts are the only ones standing on the side of its brick path, as it was placed few meters away from each other. You felt a little scared since you’re all alone, and you never go home by yourself. The light from the lamp posts isn’t enough to give light to your way. Some weren’t even working.

           

            You then took a step carefully; as your eyes roam around thinking there might be someone or something that would jump out in front of you, since you are so scared of being alone, so scared of the dark. You don’t see anything but lamp posts standing few meters way from each other.

           

The cold breeze passed by, touching your skin and starts giving you goose bumps. Dry leaves make a rustling sound, while they are being taken away by the wind, making you feel more uncomfortable.    

 

“Aigoo. If it wasn’t for JiYong and the necklace, I should have got home earlier. The wind makes me shiver now.”, you said after taking a sigh, walking slowly, as you continue to look around you.

Your mind starts to bombard you with things, bad things that may happen to you along the way. You kept on preventing yourself from doing so, but you can’t do it especially when you are all on your own.

           

You feel you’re going weaker and weaker every step of the way. You stop every now and then taking a deep breath, just so you’ll feel relieved. Your hands that was placed on your side starts to tremble. Something that happens to you when you’re really afraid.

 

You’re now half the way, and something stopped you in walking.

 

“Don’t continue if you’re scared.”, a man’s voice shouted. The voice sounded like it came from behind.

 

Nervous. The moment you have heard his voice, your thoughts bombard you with such things even more, tears start to fill your eyes since you don’t know what to do at that point. You crossed your arms, hiding your shaking hands.

 

You didn’t listen to the man, and continued walking, but this time you were doing it quick. Though you feel any moment, your knees will start to break down.

 

Footsteps moving closer from behind followed, making you breath nervously. Your heart beats fast; your face becomes pale like the blood stops running down your whole body.

 

Warm hands then held your shoulders, holding them so firm. As it exerted a force, turning you back. You prevented yourself from moving so, but the hands just held you tighter.

 

He turns you back again, and for that moment you held your breath.

 

JiYong stares at your scared and teary eyes, with so much worry. He’s breathing heavily like you’ve never imagined.

           

He gently uncrosses your arms, and made its way to your cold and shivering hands. He’s holding them, preventing them from trembling anymore, as its warm sensation slows down everything in you.

 

You look back at him in surprise but your eyes were still full of fear. You look at him from up going down slowly; thinking if what you are seeing is real.

 

You again stare back at his face, especially to his fierce eyes. His eyes that make other people get scared. But to you, it was meant to make you feel safe.

 

Those tears that fill up your eyes now falls down, you opened your mouth and tried speaking but no words came out.

 

He bends down a little, and held your face. His thumb wipes those every single tears that poured out of you. Like removing every fear you are feeling right now.

You had no intention, and yet the wind seemed to have whispered something to you.

You moved closer to him, leaning your head against his broad shoulder. You’re hands made its way through his back, holding him so close to you.

 

So close, so tight.

 

You now started to cry everything in his arms. You gasp for air, after that fear of yours slowly ate you a while ago.

 

He quietly listens to that breathing sound you are making, and feels every single tear that touches his shoulders. He absorbs every uncomfortable feeling you are having, and then takes it all away together with the cold wind that passes on both of you.

 

He was about to move his hands to your back, responding to that tight embrace. But you suddenly move away with your head bowing down. You start to wipe your tears, with your hands that now felt so warm.

 

“Wha…What…What are you doing… here? You’re sick…You shouldn’t have …come out of your house.”, you said, not looking at him. You’re voice trembles, not in fear but in embarrassment of what you just did.

 

He didn’t respond. But instead he removes the jacket he was wearing, and placed it on you. Covering your shoulders, though you aren’t wearing its sleeves.

 

“I’m better, I’m feeling better. Don’t think about me.”, he said , the moment he had placed the jacket on you. He smiles at you, like nothing happened. Like he wasn’t sick a while ago.

 

You look at him in surprise, and felt your cheeks heat up. You look away, preventing your eyes to stare at him. You have never felt so embarrassed, so tensed, only at that moment. But a crazy feeling makes your heart leap out.

 

“I’m sorry…I’m sorry if I went to your house without permission… I’m sorry if…”, you said, stammering. Thinking he went after you, just because you went to his house without any permission.

 

He didn’t let you continue what you’re about to say. You already expected that he would be mad because of what you did. But what’s on your mind turned out to be different.

 

“Thank you…”, he uttered. He continues to stare at you, with a sign of relief, of happiness.

 

You were left with nothing, no words to say, no gesture to respond. But your eyes were locked to him, the moment he had said this words.

 

…I’m not a person who expresses my feeling in words. But it seems like, expressing them won’t be enough, that I have to ran just to catch you, and say everything in front of you…”, he continued, then taking a sigh.

“You don’t have to… I mean. It’s one thing I can do for others…”, you responded, smiling slightly.

“…Go home now, I’ll be safe. You’ll feel more unwell if you allow yourself to stay out here, and let the cold wind make you shiver. ”, you continued, now turning back, walking slowly.

“________________…”, he said. Making you stop from walking away. It was for your first time to hear your name from him, loud and clear.

 

You look back and saw him walking slowly, and stop in front of you. He never said anything, but you feel he wanted to say something. You gradually look away, then realizing you have to return his jacket to him.

 

“Oh I’m sorry.”, you said, as you slowly remove his jacket from you, and planning to give it back. But his hands stop you from doing so.

“No. not that, but… please, just allow me to do one thing…”, he said, then taking a sigh. Like he was getting some courage out of him, just so he would continue what he wanted to say.

“Just… allow me to take you back to your home…”, he said looking away from you. You see his cheeks turn red, as he took another deep breath, and avoiding his eyes to meet yours. He was so embarrassed. He never, ever uttered these words to other people.

 

…I know, I still feel a little weak now. But if I don’t do it, if you won’t allow me…”, he said, looking down now. You feel he’s not yet uncomfortable in saying these kinds of words. Well, you are too.

“…I’d…I’d be weaker and weaker every single time I would think of you…Not knowing if you got home safe or not…”, he said, now looking straight into your eyes, full of truth, full of concern.

 

Stunned. His words went straight into you, eating you. Rather feeling shy, a feeling of relief was seen in your face. Like you’ve been waiting for him to say this to you. You never responded, but you relay your answer, by looking into his eyes.

 

Action speaks louder than words…

 

He then stood beside you, and started to walk with you slowly. His hands are in his pocket, trying to hide his now shaking hands, but you were already aware of it. Since your hand gradually feels weak also, like the blood stopped from running down your veins.

 

Again.

 

The cold wind passes by. Dry leaves make a rustling sound, giving you a cold and uncomfortable feeling.

 

But you are not feeling any of it now.

 

As it gradually fades, all these things you have been feeling a while ago seemed to have been taken away by the wind.

 

Except for this one special thing, who came running but now here with you every step of the way.