Chapter 3

Rumours & Roses

       “Hi, my name is Sungmin” theboy said smiling “I will be you new classmate” Leeteuk talked to the new boy for a while.

       “Okay...” Sungmin said, Leeteuk pointed to the seat near Kyuhyun were no one usually wanted to sit. Sungmin walked towards the younger boy shyly who was staring out the window with an unreadable expression.

       “Hi I'm Sungmin” he smiled as he waited for a reply. “What’s your name?” the boy pulled out the chair that was tucked under the desk and sat on it.

       “Kyuhyun.” He mumbled under his breath.

       “Kyuhyun” Sungmin echoed “I like that name...anyway the teacher said that I have to do a project for the classes I missed”

       “So?” Kyuhyun eyes wandered around the class room showing no interest in what the new boy was saying.

       “He said someone could help me with it...and that they’ll get bonus marks for it... I was wondering if you could help me?” Kyuhyun kept silent, it was clear that he did not want to be bothered.

       “Is there something wrong?” Sungmin put his hand on the younger’s shoulder and the other flinched as he felt the soft hand.

       “Sorry...ahh... n-no... its nothing.... I’ll help you...” the younger stuttered as he stuggled to get worlds out f his mouth.

_._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._.

       “No Heechul!..” Hankyung’s face turned red as he started yelling at the older boy. “we’ve talked about this before! Why is it impossible for you to put your pride aside for one damn second and just admit it?”

       “First of all...never! Ever! Tell me what to do! And I'm your hyung Hankyung! Show a little respect!”

       The younger opened his mouth as if to say something but closed it again, knowing that Heechul’s ego was too high an his words were not going to affect him. Hankyung shook his and gave up on the older boy. He knew that it was only those few drunken hours that Heechul would take of the mask that he was too used wearing so much that it became a part of him, and then the next mourning it would be back to this...this lie. He knew all too well that this was not the real Kim Heechul. He knew that this cold frontier was just a facade.

       “Besides it was just a drunken night...stop reading into things...”

       But it still hurt.

_._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._ ._._._._._._._._._._._._._._

            “Kyuhyun!” Sungmin shouted as he was trying to squeeze through the students in the hallway. The taller boy turned to the direction the voice was coming from.

       “ohh... Sungmin”

       “Do you want to come to my house today?

       “Why?” Kyuhyun raised an eyebrow.

       “We could do the project and get to know each other... I think we could be really good friends.” Sungmin smiled. Kyuhyun tried to keep the cold glare that he was giving to everyone else in school, but who could stay mad at a smiling innocent Sungmin.

       “So do you wanna come today?”

       “Umm...sure...” the younger said as the latter’s smile got wider.

       “Then let’s go” before Kyuhyun could respond the older grabbed the younger’s hand and pulled him outside. The excitement in on Sungmin’s face was radiating.

       “Uh...umm...okay...” the younger boy said as the latter basically dragged him out the front doors of the school. They walked along the street in silence for a few minutes. Sungmin started to say some thing to break that awkwardness, but then stopped, his eyes were fixed on a smiling Kyuhyun.

       “Uhmm... that’s kind of creepy...” Kyuhyun said when he caught the shorter boy staring at him.

       “Huh- what’s creepy?” Sungmin woke up from his dazed look.

       “You...staring at me...”

       “Oh...” Sungmin started, feeling embarrassed. “It’s just that you looked cute when you smiled...” he paused for a second “you should smile more often” Kyuhyun chuckled and Sungmin smiled as they walked along the empty path way.

       “Well we’re here.” Sungmin as he reached into his pocket to grab the house key. Kyuhyun looked around inspecting the place as the older opened the front door. He breathe din the fresh air that surrounded him. The young boy walked over to the garden that was at the side of the house, he smiled as a breeze swept by and causing the leaves to rustle.

       “Do you like my garden?” Sungmin patted the younger’s shoulder standing behind him.

       “Wow...this is yours?” Kyuhyun seemed surprised “yeah...it’s pretty!”

       “Thank you I used to love flowers even as a child, especially roses ... they make me happy. Common lets go inside. You’re probably hungry aren’t you? I’ll make you something to eat” the younger boy followed the latter inside. Kyuhyun’s eyes wandered around the living room as they entered. His eyes caught on a photo that sat on the T.V. he saw the figures of three young boys around the ages of 8 or 9. The picture frame had an engraving on it that read ‘friends forever

       “That’s me and my roommates I'm the one on the left side the one in the middle in Eunhyuk and the one basically hanging off of him is Donghae ... we used to be best friends...well I guess we still are... but then we had to move to Daegu...but now that I'm back and we’re all gonna be going to the same collage next year we figured we might as well move in together now. Sungmin traced the edge of the frame with his finger.   

       “Oh...” Kyuhyun felt uncomfortable both because it was his first time in that house and because he wasn’t sure how to respond to receiving that much information about someone that he just met. He sighed realizing that his brilliant plan of get the project done, get the bonus marks and get out, wasn’t quite going to work. Sungmin was friendly. And talkative. And it didn’t take a rocket scientist to figure out that friendly + talkative = absolutely NO escape.

       “I’ll me right back” Sungmin said, (in his irritatingly chirpy voice.) “You could have a seat, make yourself at home.”Kyuhyun smiled at the older boy as Sungmin left the room.

       Minutes later he came back wearing grey slacks and a white sleeveless hoodie.

       “You could take of your blazer you know... we’re not in school anymore, make your self comfy.”

       “Oh...right” Kyuhyun said.

       “Come I’ll make you something to eat...how bout ramen?”

       “Sure!” Kyuhyun was just happy that he could have home made food for once than having takeout every single day. After Sungmin finished making it, they went to the living room to eat.

       “Wow!” Kyuhyun smiled “this is really good... you’re a great cook!”

       “It’s ramen...”

       “Well you’re really talented in making ramen...” Sungmin smiled but didn’t say anything. They both didn’t know what to say next, and resulting in a long silent awkward minute.

       “Where’s you’re roommates?” Kyuhyun broke the silence. But before the older could answer, they heard someone opening the front door continued with a very loud voice.

       “YOU WAIT RIGHT THERE I’LL BE RIGHT BACK”

       “Oh. There. That is Eunhyuk he is one of’em” Sungmin whispered to the latter who was sitting beside him.

       “Yah! Min! Me and Donghae-” Eunhyuk walked into the living room “Oh... Hello.” The tall boy’s voice was suddenly softer. “Min... why didn’t you tell me we have guests?”

       “Oh... sorry hyukkie... this is Kyuhyun... he’s in my class. He’s helping me with a project.”

       “Hi Kyuhyun, I'm Eunhyuk... Sungmin’s roommate”

       “Hello” the younger stood up and bowed at the older male.

       “Where’s Donghae? Don’t you guy wanna eat? There’s still some ramen left in the kitchen” Eunhyuk turned to Sungmin

       “Umm... Donghae’s in the car” the roommate grinned “We won’t be needing ramen”

       “Why you’re not hungry?”

       “No, its not that...we...uhmm...have plans

       “We?... Ohh...” Sungmin smiled knowingly “Okay have fun!”

       “We will thanks...” Eunhyuk turned to a confused Kyuhyun “umm... Bye I’ll see you sometime else?”

       “Yeah... Bye”

       Kyuhyun faced out for a second wondering if there was something he missed. He jolted when the door slammed shut and accidently knocked over the coke can. Before it hit the ground a hand stopped it on its path to what would have meant a big stain mark on the carpet.

       “Phew! That was close” Sungmin said shifting back to where he was sitting before. Kyuhyun gaped at the older boy wide eyed.

       “... HOW DID YOU DO THAT?!” Kyuhyun said, although it sounded more like a high pitch shriek. Sungmin smirked.

       “Years of training... I guess”

       “Of... catching stuff?” Sungmin practically fell of the couch laughing as he saw Kyuhyun staring at him with amazement and confusion. As he watched Sungmin laugh, Kyuhyun started to smile, and somewhere along the way those smiles became real.

       It was nine thirty at night by the time they finished eating the ramen and started working on their project.

       “It’s nine thirty I should home...” Kyuhyun stared at his cell phone.

       “You could stay here if you want... it’s darks already... and it might not be safe to walk... I don’t think Eunhyuk and Donghae are gonna comeback today anyway”

       “No, that’s okay I’ll call my friend he can come pick me up...” Kyuhyun said as he punched a few digits on his phone.

       It was almost ten when Kyuhyun's friend came to pick him up. Kyuhyun was the one to open the door.

       “Sungmin!” Kyuhyun called the older boy came in to where the other two were standing. “this is my friend-”

       “Shindong?” Sungmin said before Kyuhyun could speak.

       “...Sungmin?”