Chapter 20

Rumours & Roses

With that, Kyuhyun left. He didn’t bother showing up for his next classes as he couldn’t concentrate if he stayed anyways.

Henry’s words kept on replaying in his head.

Let’s just… not be together anymore...”

“I like you but, maybe you weren’t the only one trying to find someone else in another person”

Kyuhyun felt his heart clench, he struggled to breathe and his legs grew heavy withevery step he took. He had been aimlessly walking around for a few hours, ever since he had left the school and had ended up in some sort of park.

He made his way to a swing set that he had spotted, before he sat on one. He sat down and with both hands, he held on to the rusty metal chain. The coolness of the metal chains dug deep into his palms, but he made no effort to let go. He just held on to the chains tighter, so tight that it made his knuckles turnedwhite.

Iwish Zhou mi was here...He would know what to do. Tears tickled down his cheek he didn’t understand why he was crying, he didn’t understand why he cared so much.

He stood up and ran near a bush; the feeling of the little he ate that day trying to force its way up.

Kyuhyun clenched on to his uniform shirt, wrinkling the perfectly ironed white clothing. He shook, hugging the tree, supporting himself by leaning on it.

Why? Why did everything have to happen to him?Staring at the dirt below his feet, he wiped his mouth with his sleeve.

He felt like whatever was left in his life was starting to fall apart. He felt so…weak.

He could understand why Henry acted the way he did.

Kyuhyun had been a jerk. He had made Henry believe that something good was about to happen between them, and he let it all fall apart.

Something magical could have developed, if only Kyuhyun did not hold onto his past feelings for Sungmin.

Sungmin….Kyuhyun had repeated that name over and over again in his head. Everything happened because of Sungmin, if it weren’t for Sungmin, Kyuhyun would not have been able to love again.

If it weren’t for Sungmin, Kyuhyun would have never been able to feel happiness again. Kyuhyun would have not been able to meet Zhou Mi or Henry.

Kyuhyun’s train of thoughts had been interrupted when something had hit his head.

“S-Sorry Hyung! I didn’t mean to-“A kid stuttered and was on the verge of breaking into tears.

“It’s okay,” Kyuhyun gave the kid a fake smile and passed the kid the small ball that had hit his head and said, “Go back and play with your friends,”

He gave another fake smile and the kid eyed him wearily before nodding and running back to play with his friends.

As he looked up he saw something that he didn’t expect to see. Across from this park was a cemetery.

It was not just any random cemetery, but it was the one where Sungmin had been buried in.

“It’s time I pay my respects…” Kyuhyun whispered as he made his way to the cemetery.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Henry started into space; he didn’t really care for what the teacher was saying at the moment. He was so relieved when the bell rang, signalling that it was time to go home.

He collected all his things; put them in his bag, and glanced at the empty seat in the class where Kyuhyun used to sit, in the only class they shared.

He sighed as he remembered the scene before and broke his stare from the chair, he started to make way for the door, ignoring the look from his worried teacher that said are you okay?

Because he knew that he wasn’t okay. He was not fine and dandy. He felt like and he was sure that if he was not strong, then he’d break into tears anytime now.

Not like Kyuhyun….He was always so easily broken. Henry thought to himself, he cursed inwardly as the thought ran through his mind.

He was not paying attention to where he was walking and as one would expect, Henry bumped into a wall.

An oddly strong and muscular wall, itseemed.

“Not watching where you’re going I see…”

Henry looked up to see a familiar face smiling at him. Henry managed to return a small smile at the older male, which cause the other to frown.

“What’s wrong Henry?” Hankyung asked the young boy in front of him, seeing that he made no effort to reply, Hankyung patted the boy’s shoulder. “Let’s go somewhere more private and talk, okay?”

Henry just nodded and followed his ‘gege’ out of the school hallways.

They ended up talking about Kyuhyun and Henry’s incident and anything else Henry was willing to tell Hankyung for an hour.

“….And that’s what happened…” Henry said, his mood felt low, but in reality, his mood never was good in the first place.

“I see…” The older male replied. He had his arms crossed and his eyebrows were furrowed. Making clear of the worry lines forming on his head. He was soaking up what Henry had just told him and sighed.

“Let’s go get something to make your mood better, okay? I know of this ice cream shop that sells amazing homemade ice cream. I’m sure that’ll make you feel a little bit better.” Hankyung said,tugging lightly on the younger’s wrist as a motion.

Thanks gege…You always know what to do.” Henry said,he hugged his senior from behind. The tears that had been waiting to come out finally spilled and Henry tried to regain his composure.

Hankyung said nothing, but tugged the younger’s wrist and led him to the ice cream parlor.

 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Minnie…I miss you…You know?” A voice rangthrough the air.

Kyuhyun looked down at the gravestone adorned with his past lover’s name. Hevisited both Sungmin and Zhou Mi; well…Both the gravestones had been together as they had been buried next to each other,

Kyuhyun was at a cemetery…Well kind of. It didn’t really seem like a cemeteryto him.He always imagined that a cemetery was an eerie place, and this place had been nowhere near eerie.

There was soft, light green grass surrounding him, there were cotton-candy colored clouds in the sky and the sun had illuminated the sky with a variety of calming and beautiful colours.

There had been flowers growing everywhere Kyuhyun could look. It seemed as if even the snow had melted, so that the flowers could replace its place. Even the gravestones had been decorated with flowers of all different kinds.

If he looked real close, Kyuhyun could have sworn that he saw a few butterflies roaming around the place.

He gazed at the gravestone; his eyes filled with so much emotion, so much love.

“I can’t believe it….You’re really gone…” Kyuhyun whispered to himself, his eyes stung more and more, but no more tears would come.

Kyuhyun had finally cried until he had no more tears.

“How did it come to this?” Kyuhyun asked the gravestone, as if it would reply back to him, as if Sungminwould reply to him.

Kyuhyun looked at the patch of dirt next to the gravestone and saw that a couple of flowers had begun growing.

He let out a small smile;the flowers growing there seemed so...Sungmin-like? Even after he passed away, he still managed to get himself a small gardento grow. That boy certainly had a green thumb.

The smile soon turned into a frown when Kyuhyun remembered why he was there in the first place. “I...I...Should love you right? But why…Do I feel so…Guilty? Empty? Why do I feel so sad…?”

Kyuhyun asked the gravestone one more time, as if it were, yet again going to reply.

“Why? WHY? WHY DID YOU LEAVE? Everything was getting good again, we were supposed to fall in love and everything was supposed to be perfect..We were supposed to have a happy ending!?” Kyuhyun yelled at the air.

“It’s like you’re here, but you’re not…I loved you….I loved you…loved?” Kyuhyun questioned himself; frustrated by what was happening at the moment he ran his hands through his hair before letting out a sigh.

“That’s right…I lovedyou…That’s past tense right?” Kyuhyun’s voice broke and cracked as he said these words.

He felt like his world was spinning uncontrollably. He felt so confused right now.

He dropped down to his knees and his body shook as memories of Henry and memories of Sungmin started to flood his mind. The memories kept switching back and forth, from Sungmin to Henry, and vice versa. At the end of it all, the memories went away and only a picture stayed in his head….A picture of Henry as he smiled, with his perfect pearly whites brightly shinning

His head started to hurt and when he recovered from his little ‘walk down memory lane’, He sighed.

“What have I done?” He asked himself in realization, his hands pulled on clumps of soft hair.

“Nee..Minnie…I’ve messed things up big time right now..Haven’t I? I’m such a...”Silence had surrounded the park and Kyuhyun sighed again.

 “Maybe you and Iweren’t meant to be together, Minnie…I guess this is fate’s cruel way of letting us know that... and now there’s Henry... and he... I don’t know Minnie...”Kyuhyun said as he let out a bitter laugh.

“How do I fix this now? I mean…How do I get him to forgive me?” Kyuhyun said,he shivered slightly as cool breeze blew.

It felt like Sungmin was actually here listening to him, letting him know that he was there in the form of cool breeze. 

“Hey, you okay? ” A new voice chimed.

Kyuhyun’s eyes grew wide; he quickly stood up from his kneeling position and whipped his whole body to look at the owner of the voice.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After Hankyung and Henry got their ice cream, they decided to stop by at the park nearby and sat on a couple of swings.Hankyung obviously enjoyed his little treat, as he was the first one to finish it out of the two.

Henry quietly his ice cream, he was feeling slightly better.

“Thank you gege...”He said, and for the first time that day he gave his gege a genuine smile.

Hankyung returned the smile and ruffled the younger’s hair before saying, “No problem! Anytime you have a problem, don’t hesitate to tell me okay?”

They stayed silent for a while. Henry looked down at the sand beneath the swings and Hankyung was looking at something far off in the distance.

“How would you feel if I suggestthat you accompany me to respects to Zhou Mi and Sungmin?” Hankyung asked the younger boy, unsure if he would agree to accompany him or not. 

Henry bit his lip and looked down, signalling that he was certainly thinking about it. He finished the remains of his sweet treat before he looked into Hankyung’s unsure eye.

“Sure,” He said, letting a fake smile out.

Hankyung sighed at the two of them made their way to the cemetery.

The walk there had been silent; they passed by many beautifully decorated gravestones and glanced at the butterflies that were fluttering around.

“Doesn’t seem like your everyday cemetery...“ Hankyung said, breaking the silence.

Henry smiled and quickly agreed with his gege, “It seems like the type of place Minnie and Zhou Mi would have wanted to be...” He said, a small chuckle following after.

They almost reached the place where Sungmin and Zhou Mi were buried, but Hankyung had stopped abruptly. Making the younger one bump into his back and fall back in surprise.

“I suddenly don’t feel like visiting their graves anymore...It’s getting dark...And cemeteries aren’t the safest place to be around…So what do you say to leaving first? I have something I have to do before I go home..”Hankyung said, placing a hand in front of Henry.

“Umm…Okay gege? But…You’re going to be here alone,” Henry said, as he dusted off some dirt from his pants.

Henry took one look at his gege before sighing, “Fine...Fine,” The younger grumbled, as he turned around a left.

When Hankyung made sure that Henry was nowhere to be found, he turned back and looked at the figure that was kneeling next to what seemed to be Sungmin’s gravestone.

What’s he doing here?Hankyung thought, as he listened to every word that was uttered by Kyuhyun.

He’s suffering as well…They both love each other so much...Hankyung thought to himself, his brows furrowed again, and yet again, you could see worried lines forming on his forehead.

“How do I fix this now? I mean…How do I get him to forgive me?” He heard the youngling say.

He closed his eyes and let out a sigh, this was going to be for the best after all.

“Hey, you okay?,” He said and watched Kyuhyun’s surprised reaction in amusement.

“Hyung!When did…” Kyuhyun mumbled,he was still shocked that Hankyung was there.  Why was Hankyung even there in the first place?

“I was here from the time you were kneeling…” Hankyung softly said.

Kyuhyun’s eyes snapped open and he was at a loss for words. Hankyung noticed this, “Don’t worry..I won’t tell anyone...Rather... maybe... help?”he said, patting the younger’s head.

“You..want…to..help..Me?” Kyuhyun managed to word out, he tilted his head in confusion.

“Henry’s like a little brother to me, he’s hurting…and so are you…and that’s never a pleasant thing... I’ve heard talking is a big step to feeling happy,” Hankyung said, giving Kyuhyun a small smile.

Kyuhyun’s eyes warmed up when he saw Hankyung’s warm smile.

“Thank you Hyung,” He mumbled as he stood up to give the older boy a hug, “Thank you so much.”

Hankyung hugged him back and patted Kyuhyun’s back as a sign of comfort.

This made Kyuhyun hugged him even tighter. Maybe Hankyung was right, maybe he did just need to let out his feelings for a change. May be he would get the happy ending he had only dreamt about.

Hankyung sighed for the umpteenth time this day. “Let’s go somewhere warm, you’re shaking.” He said as he directed the shivering boy out of the cemetery and brought him back to Kyuhyun’s home, where his worried roommate had greeted him with a hug and some hot chocolate.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N: What did you guys think? You might be wondering why my writing got soooo much better, that’s because I worked really hard... Okay not really... my really good friend Thewinterfairy, wrote this chapter. If you’re into Japanese animés then I’d direct you to her page, as you could see above ^ she’s amazing at writing. 

Yeah so I hope you enjoyed this chapter :) .... I need to study for tomorrow’s math test *_*