Chapter 3

Because Of You

You get out of the taxi, opening your eyes to see the night of Hongdae welcoming you. “Jooyeon unnie, where are they meeting us?” You asked.

          “Right…here.” Jooyeon stopped and waved to the two familiar figures with caps on.

          “Anyeong!” Hoya grinned and Jooyeon waved shyly.

          “Anyeonghaeseyo, Hoya Oppa.” You say as you give him a 90degree bow. Hoya was the member of Infinite that you least close with, but you often hear about his caring personality from Jooyeon.

          “Yah ______, why are you so nice to Hoya but not me!” Myungsoo complained, “You don’t even call me Oppa everytime!”

          “Because you don’t act like you’re older.” You scoffed, causing Hoya to laugh.

          “Come on, let’s go inside before Myungsoo throws a tantrum.” walking towards the restaurant.

          As you were getting seated, the table beside yours kept looking at you and Myungsoo. Feeling a little uncomfortable, you pick up the menu and hid your face, pretending to read the dishes.

          “Kim Myungsoo? Is that you?” You watch Myungsoo stare at the man, his confused stare slowly turning into a smile.

          “Choi Junho!” Myungsoo jumps from his chair and hug the stranger, causing your heart to jump from the sudden movement.

          “How are you? I always see you on TV now.” Junho laughed, “I knew my best buddy from high school would become a star, you good looking bastard.”   ‘That’s a nice way to address your friend.’ You think to yourself, making no eye contact with them.

          “What about you? You’re looking pretty well too.”

          “I’m still studying engineering, aish it’s taken me more than 2 years to get that stupiddegree.” Junho pauses for a while, “Oh, is that your girlfriend?”

          You turn your head, anticipating Myungsoo’s answer. He stares at you. ‘Tell them, who am I to you…?’ You ask in your head. He smiles.

          “Nah, my dongsaeng.”

          Your heart drops. You stare at the menu emotionlessly. ‘What were you expecting, ______. You are nothing more than his little sister who listens to his troubles.’ You feel no pain in your chest, because you were already so used to it that the feeling became numb. Turning your head to Myungsoo and Junho, you give them a nod as a greeting.

          “Junho, eat with us!” Myungsoo exclaimed. Hoya smiles and agrees, inviting them to sit at your table. You stand up and sit to the farthest end of the table, giving up your space beside Myungsoo. Junho sat beside you, giving you a smirk.

          “Hi, I’m Junho.”

          “I’m _________, nice to meet you.” You replied, staring at menu. Myungsoo was now on the other end of the table, chatting with his other high school friends.

          “So…how old are you?” Junho asks.

          “Oh haha…17.” You suddenly feel a little nudge against your knee. Glancing at your glass of water, you pretend to not notice it.

          “Do you have a boyfriend right now, ______-sshi?” He whispers in your ear. You could feel his hand touching your thigh. ‘Ugh, I shouldn’t have worn a skirt.’ You try to make eye contact with Myungsoo, hoping he’d notice that you felt uncomfortable. He was staring at his phone, smiling as he tapped his fingers against the screen. Oh of course, texting with Krystal. You mouthed ‘Help me’ to Jooyeon, who notices it right away. She whispers to Hoya, and he gives her a little nod. ‘Let’s go.’ She mouths back at you.

          You stand up, pushing Junho’s revolting hand away from you.

          “I’m feeling a little sick, I’ll be going home now.” You give the table a small bow. “Please enjoy the rest of the meal.” Myungsoo stares at you, noticing the hurt in your eyes.

          “Why, what’s wrong? You were feeling okay a little while ago.” He asks.

          “Don’t worry, I’ll be escorting her home.” Jooyeon smiles, “Have fun guys.” bringing you out of the restaurant.

          “Are you okay?” Jooyeon asks in the taxi back home.

          “Yeah, that Junho guy was just making me uncomfortable…” You mumbled.

          “Why didn’t you tell Myungsoo?”

          “Unnie, you don’t understand…He likes Krystal…”

          “Krystal from F(x)?” You gave Jooyeon a small nod. Jooyeon hugs you, patting your back. “It’s okay, let’s find someone better for our little maknae. But you have to promise me something.” You start pouring the tears that you have been holding in and give Jooyeon another nod. “From now on, you have to tell us whenever you are sad okay? Stop keeping everything to yourself. And try…to keep a distance away from Myungsoo, he’s only hurting you…”

          “I will…”