Chapter 45

The Ambiguity Of Selfishness
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Warnings: uhm a lot of blood and injury, a bit of gore

 

Luhan trailed his hands across the walls, the mix of traditional paper and plaster a strange pattern of grainy and smooth against his fingers. He stopped in front of the laundry room, listening to the whirs as the washer and dryer ran. They had to change the sheets since D.O-shi bled through his bandages.

The next room was the one Sehun was temporarily using. It had a big map overtaken by sticky notes and travel trinkets. Luhan wondered if the room had belonged to Minseok’s little brother, and the initial unsettlement of using it almost made him suggest for Sehun to use another room or Minseok’s room and Luhan could sleep on the couch. But that would leave Tao without a real place to even rest in, so he ultimately decided against it, and Sehun said he wouldn’t move anything. The last room near the guest room was locked, which Luhan assumed was the master bedroom.

He neared the kitchen and opened the fridge despite knowing exactly what was inside. There had hardly been anything save for a near empty freezer of instant food, frozen dumplings, and savory pancakes. Luhan thought of scolding Minseok when he came back before Tao explained that his friend had to accustom himself to not eating because he was becoming a demon, and needing to eat was considered a serious angelic liability. Tao looked a bit surprised when Luhan just nodded.

It was too dangerous for them to leave and buy groceries since they didn’t know when someone would attack, and Tao would have to protect him and Sehun. But Minseok was luckily a gardening freak too, and Luhan had harvested some greens from an unkempt but productive winter garden and tossed them over some fried rice.

Shutting the fridge, Luhan aimlessly walked around the kitchen and living room before going back to the corridor. He stopped at the guest room and peered in. Tao was checking on D.O-shi and Kai-shi’s conditions. The angel said that Kai-shi would likely wake soon but that D.O-shi wouldn’t recover much more until they brought him to a healer. Luhan didn’t understand the magic poison thing exactly, just that the magic of another fire demon was keeping him from quickly closing the hole through his abdomen.

“Luhan?”

He jumped even though Tao’s voice had barely spoken louder than a murmur. Rising, the angel padded over, and Luhan knew that it was rude but his eyes sidled to the angel’s wings. Yes, they were as real as they were when he appeared in his apartment telling him that Sehun was in danger.

“Is something the matter?”

He didn’t even know how to begin answering that question. They had crashed at Minseok’s place uninvited out of necessity of their safety because a demon-angel criminal duo was after his favorite student’s soul, and his guardian angel was tasked with protecting them both. Tao had explained the basics and answered any questions that Sehun had, but Luhan didn’t even know what to ask. The past days he hadn’t said much anything because part of him didn’t believe what was happening and the other part of him needed him present, alert, as a calm and guiding hand.

And asking questions would break that façade.

He opened his mouth to say that he was fine when someone suddenly gasped. They both turned and saw Kai-shi had shot up from the bed, panting, with… knives in his hands?!

Tao stepped closer, putting his hands up when Kai-shi him.

“Kai, it’s okay.”

“T-Tao?”

“Yes, it’s me. You’re safe now. We’re in Minseok’s house. You and D.O passed out in the foyer.”

He looked to his companion on the bed, and he gasped, the knives dispersing to thin air, his hands carefully caressing D.O-shi’s face.

“He was magic poisoned by the fire demon you two fought, but he’s stable. He’s stopped bleeding.”

Kai-shi reached for the injured spot, and Tao was quick to jump forward and catch his hands.

“Don’t. You’ll only be poisoned by the fire magic yourself. D.O will be alright, but I need you to go out and buy food. I can’t leave Luhan and Sehun unguarded, and the fridge is almost empty. We don’t know how long we’ll be here.”

The demon looked up and locked eyes with Luhan, and he shifted, a little self-conscious. For a moment, Kai-shi just stared at him with his eyes glazed before he nodded. Slowly, he got off from the bed. Tao handed him some money, but Kai-shi shook his head and disappeared. Luhan had just blinked, and the man was gone. Checking D.O-shi again, Tao turned back and offered Luhan a small smile, nudging him out the room and closing the door.

Sehun’s door opened then, and the three of them stopped, looking at each other. Well, mostly Luhan and Tao. Sehun’s hair stuck up in all directions, his shirt and sweater had ridden up oddly in different places, and his eyes were near lines with his squint. He seemed to realize something though as his eyes suddenly expanded, and he ducked behind the door, shutting it. Luhan didn’t know what to think of the reaction, but Tao chuckled beside him.

“He is embarrassed that you saw him after he just woke up.”

The angel glided to the kitchen, and, after feeling the smile tug at his lips, Luhan followed. He had barely started and gotten some coffee from Minseok’s fancy machine and bent down to give Vivia a few pats when the distinct crinkling of plastic filled the room. Jumping at the man who literally appeared out of nowhere in the kitchen, he marveled a bit at how many bags Kai-shi had hanging from his arms and even an entire rice bag over his shoulder before helping him and Tao unload and load the food in the fridge or pantry.

“Thank you,” he told the demon.

Kai-shi nodded and headed back to the rooms, probably to D.O-shi. Luhan kept some vegetables, eggs, and condiments that Luhan was honestly a bit shocked to find since he didn’t think that a person who didn’t eat would know what extras went well with what food. He washed his hands and made some simple eggs, readying three plates then replacing one back when Tao shook his head with a smile. When Sehun came out, he stopped by the doorway, surprised, and went to sit.

“Kai-shi woke up and got us some groceries,” Luhan explained.

“Jong—Kai’s awake?” Sehun got back up, then paused. “Uhm, I’ll be back. I want to say hi to him.”

Luhan nodded and waved for him to go, the student sprinting down the hall. He tucked into his omelet and coffee for a few moments before Tao shifted his head down into his view.

“Are you alright, Luhan?”

“I’m fine.”

Tao’s wings fluttered as he frowned a little.

“Did you know that it’s impossible to lie to an angel?”

Luhan sighed. Of course, it was.

“You said that you could read my thoughts too, right?”

“Angels can see into the minds of those who are troubled, yes, but since you know of my existence now, I felt that it would be better to ask you.”

Despite how not fine he felt, Luhan smiled at that.

“Thanks.”

“Of course, but you didn’t answer my question.”

Luhan pulled a face at the angel just as Sehun walked back in with Kai-shi in tow. That surprised him a little. He stood and asked if the demon wanted any eggs, but the demon declined and just sat, petting Vivia when she set her paws on his lap.

“I need to know what happened. How long was I out?”

“About two nights judging from what I saw from D.O,” Tao said. “After you passed out, he took a blast meant for you from the fire demon. He was weakened considerably, but then the house saved you two before the fire demon could deliver any finishing blow.”

“How did he get the bleed wound?”

“He had tackled the fire demon away from you and rolled into the path of the steel that structures the cement underneath.”

Kai-shi clenched his fists but nodded.

“What did you mean by the house saving us?”

“It created a barrier, then grew vines and carried you two inside the house. I don’t know what happened to the fire demon…” Tao furrowed his eyebrows. “D.O had heard strangled noises though.”

“How is that possible? I thought concealment was the only blessing of the house.”

“I’m not sure. It must be a powerful blessing.”

Kai-shi nodded. He looked to Sehun and tilted his head at the student digging into his eggs. In between bites when Sehun put the fork down, Kai-shi grabbed it and took a bite, eyes lighting in approval.

“It’s good, almost as good as D.O’s.” He looked to Luhan. “But D.O’s food will always be number one to me, so don’t feel too bad.”

Luhan chuckled. “I’m not offended. I think that’s cute for you two.”

Kai-shi looked confused for a moment before making a silent realization ‘oh,’ like it had taken him a minute to remember what the word meant.

“Does that mean you think Sehun is cute too?”

Luhan snorted his coffee while Sehun choked on his food. As they both hacked their lungs out, Luhan saw the demon smirk and knew that he had said that on purpose.

“K-Kai,” Sehun said between coughs.

“I was just asking because Sehun said that you saw him right after you woke up and was worried that you thought him a slob, but that wasn’t what you thought, I’m sure.”

Sehun went beet red, though Luhan couldn’t tell if it was from the coughing or from being outed. Either way, he gripped Kai-shi’s shoulder and turned towards the floor while continuing to cough. Luhan wiped his watering eyes and—thank god, his coffee had already cooled—reached to get rid of the coffee-flavored mucous off his tastebuds with a glass of water, handing some to Sehun too. When they both could breathe again, Luhan cleared his throat.

“Don’t worry about that, Sehun. I take it as you must’ve slept well.”

He was trying to reassure him, but he wasn’t sure if he did that when Sehun completely froze, and the red didn’t leave his face. Kai-shi started stealing the eggs off his plate, which seemed to kick Sehun back to action because he made a swipe for his fork that Luhan was pretty sure was only successful because the demon let him.

After eating, as Luhan started gathering the dishes to wash, he saw Tao glancing at Sehun, Kai-shi pointing a look at the student too, and Sehun making a face at both of them. Then, ushering Vivia out, the three supernatural beings left the kitchen, leaving him and Sehun alone. Ignoring the buzz of hyperawareness that this was somehow planned, Luhan turned around, slipped on the dishwashing gloves, acted normal. But goosebumps raised through his skin when he felt a presence sidle up behind him.

He whipped around but halted halfway when he saw Sehun leaning on the counter next to him with his arms tucked under. The student peered into the sink before looking up. Oh, Sehun hadn’t been behind him.

“I can rinse those off and put them to dry.”

Luhan blinked then nodded, turning back to the dishes, but he couldn’t keep scrubbing them. The thoughts and questions he had been barely holding back spread their grasp and gripped his head. They echoed and breathed and rolled in his mind, tracing themselves to memories of threat, danger, and death. They released a screech of fear, and Luhan clenched and unclenched his fists. It was all he could do to not outwardly react otherwise. He watched the soapy water spill from the rim of a bowl, but it was another set of hands that moved to soap and rinse the dishes. When the sink had emptied, he took off his gloves, stepping away.

“Professor Lu?”

He paused. He didn’t trust his voice or his expression, but he waited.

“I wanted to say thank you. I know that this is a really… weird and pretty bad situation, but you’re here, and that makes it less scary. I feel like it’s my fault that you’re basically under house arrest for me because somehow or another, the fact that we’re… g-good friends is why Tao had to come protect me too, which only dragged you into this. That’s why—thank you for coming and making things… a little more normal.”

Luhan stared into the table, but he saw flashes of what-ifs and shadows. He couldn’t shut them away anymore, and the longer he saw them, the more that the reality of the situation tore out of his control. He didn’t know what the hell was going to happen, and he didn’t know how the he could help with anything. He was one human tangled in a supernatural scheme through his associations. No wealth, no status, no knowledge would help him. He had no resources, no clues, and no power to protect who he wanted.

“I’m not doing anything, Sehun. You should thank Tao and Kai-shi instead.”

“I’ll thank them, but I have to thank you too. You being here is… calming. Like, I know that I’ll be okay. I’ve been followed and hidden away before, but I was always alone, and it was for someone else’s benefit. This—This is way better than those years I was trapped in my parents’ basement.”

Alarm rang dully through Luhan’s opaque thoughts, but he couldn’t thoroughly process those last few sentences because he heard shuffling. A sweater and gray sweatpants came into his vision. Sehun’s fingers fiddled together before reaching for Luhan’s hands, shaking but certain.

“S-So, if there’s anything you want to say or talk to me about, you can. You should. We’re still in the same danger together. And like when I said that I wanted you to talk more about you, this counts. I said my tidbit, so you have to say yours next.”

Luhan tugged on their hands, then hesitated. He wasn’t supposed to do this. Sehun was his student… former student, and Luhan was supposed to demonstrate control and guidance. But as Sehun shifted closer and tentatively laid his arms around him, the mass of thoughts let go of him. They scattered, and he could finally take in a breath.

“This is by far the most ed up situation I’ve ever been in, and I used to gamble with my country’s top billionaires on their yachts as they sailed through international waters to make drop-offs to other billionaires dabbling in drug trafficking. I feel like I’m useless to do anything for you because it’s Tao who was tasked to protect you and I simply had to tag along. That’s what it feels like.”

“But that’s not all you did. You helped calm me down to come here—if the exploded lotion and the fact that I’m not freaking out as much as I definitely would’ve after finding out that someone is after my soul and that it can even be ripped out of my body are any proof. You know that I would’ve really freaked out by now. Also Kai is a demon, which means that I’m kinda friends with a demon, which is also freaky. Thinking about it though, it’s pretty cool now.”

Luhan coughed out a laugh despite himself, leaned his face into Sehun’s shirt and felt the fabric absorb his tears.

“You’re not going to ask about the gambling or the drug trafficking?”

“I am curious, but I thought that I should ask later…”

“Me too, about you being trapped in your parents’ basement, if that’s okay with you.”

Sehun chuckled, and Luhan felt him nod, a small movement at the crown of his head.

“Then Professor Lu?”

“You can call me Luhan. It’s not like we’re in school.”

“L-Luh-ha—”

He couldn’t keep in his laugh as Sehun actually choked, and they had to break their embrace for the boy to cough out his saliva from his breathing tube. Luhan took the chance to wipe his eyes so that Sehun wouldn’t see any tears. He didn’t think Sehun would care, but despite the comfort of Sehun’s words, he needed this small thing, to prove to himself that he had some hand in his role.

“Then, Luhan,” Sehun in a little breath, his face red. “Is there anything else you want to vent?”

“Hmm, I’ll buy you a new bottle of lotion. You can pick out the scent.”

“I-I can buy another myself.”

“Then let me come with you. I’m sorry for making you do the dishes.”

“It’s just dishes. I don’t mind.”

“Did you like my eggs?”

“I did. They were really smooth and flavorful.”

“Why does your apartment have nothing in it?”

“Uhm, I’m used to not having decorations… from when I was locked in the basement…”

“Your parents sound terrible.”

He nodded.

“Are you going to answer every random question I throw at you?”

“Well, I think that that’s better than when you were deathly silent.”

Sehun pouted, and Luhan chuckled as he swept back the boy’s hair from poking his eyes. Then he stopped and pulled his hand back. He wasn’t even thinking.

“Is it okay for me to touch you like this?” Luhan asked quietly.

“Y-Yes.”

“You don’t think it’s… weird? Since I was your teacher?”

Sehun’s eyes darted away, his blush returning. “Well, like you said, we’re not in school right now.”

That half-confession had Luhan straightening up, his eyes widening, his gaze suddenly finding the faucet very intriguing. As a sort of relieved-awkward settled between them, Luhan came to a realization, or maybe a re-realization. Sehun had noticed that something about him had been off—or at the very least was sent by the other two—and went to comfort him, and that fact rushed heat to Luhan’s hands and face. Well, his guardian angel has been hovering over his shoulder and could read his mind.

But just maybe… Sehun had come up with the idea.

Vivi’s bark brought them out of their silent blush fest as she trotted into the kitchen, circling around Luhan before moving to Sehun, who gave her a big neck rub. His smile only grew, and Luhan smiled at the sight.

“I thought this but didn’t say so earlier, but I always knew that there was something odd about your dog.”

“Yeah. Kinda hard to miss when she literally turns transparent in the sunlight.”

“Exactly. Hm. Do you see animals as having colors too?”

Sehun tilted his head before taking the doggie’s face in his hands and staring into her eyes. Luhan wanted to chuckle, but he saw the way Vivi instantly calmed and looked back without blinking. He found himself staring too, and it was only after Sehun spoke that he felt like he could blink again.

“Usually, no. But I think Vivi has a pretty sienna color.”

“Any reason?”

“Because she loves those who are of the earth. Am I right?”

Like she could understand them (and Tao said that she could), the collie barked and wagged her tail, and Sehun beamed a grin.

“Alright, my turn,” Kai said, striding in. “What’s my color?”

Luhan rolled his eyes at the way the demon stuck his palms towards Sehun like he was getting a tarot reading, but then another thought clicked. Kai had picked up on their conversation so easily. Did that mean that the demon heard them earlier? Did he hear their half-confessions?? Oh god—

“Deep violet, the color that crafts the nebulae and extends into the vastness of the cosmos.”

“Woah. Oh, but I’m actually weaker than most other demons.”

“It doesn’t concern your raw power but your willingness to brave and reach through the unknown. You may not have a deep depth of power, but you have a wide breadth of mind.”

Luhan raised an eyebrow at Sehun, while Kai blinked at him, stunned, actual violet dancing in his eyes. So that time at the convenience store wasn’t from a sleep-deprived hallucination.

“You… are actually really accurate. Blood and hell—do you actually— Wait—”

The demon vanished out, then vanished back in with a befuddled angel bent forward as if tending some small plant. Tao straightened, turned to Kai, and put his hands on his hips.

“Did you just teleport me?”

“Sehun, read Tao. Tao, check this out.”

Luhan walked over, really intrigued now, as Sehun looked up into Tao’s eyes, and the angel stilled. All was silent for a moment, then Sehun’s eyebrows flew up.

“Translucent and refracting, like the iridescent sheen of a rainbow across a mirror.”

“Ava’s acid— I knew it. He can use aura.”

Tao nodded, surprise glimmering in his eyes.

“Yes, it would appear so. Limitedly, but Sehun, you can see the connections people have to their respective spheres. I guess that your mortal mind just happens to interpret them as colors.”

“Uh, I have no idea what that means.”

“I suppose it’s not dire for you to know right now—”

“What?! He should know about it! That’s super cool. Not even most angelics can do that. They just feel the manifestation that is aura, and they really only feel it when it’s active or projected out. He’s accurate too. I remember Mr. Satan had looked at me and said something similar. I didn’t really understand it back then though.”

“Mr. S-Satan…?”

“Sehun, you can likely see the connections because you possess a true neutral soul and are human. True neutral humans are stronger than most other humans, so other abilities could manifest from that.”

“I… don’t really get what you mean.”

Seeing Sehun draw in on himself, Luhan scooted over and sat next to him. He took his hand and turned up to the two angelics, noting the growing blush of the other he saw in the corner of his eye.

“So what does it mean? What does the true neutral part have to do with it?”

“Remember when I said that auras work similar to that of your pH scale? Creatures born of Earth who have a bias of neutrality are generally stronger, so in your pH scale, it’d be anything between six and eight. For a creature born of heaven, they are stronger if born with a bias to the light, and a creature of hell is the same with a bias to the dark. Oh, well, we call them light and dark, but it is actually more complicated than that.”

“So Sehun can see those connections because his soul is more strongly tied to the Earth? Like a seven-point-zero?”

“Yes. Temperament, personality, and experience are factors too. Shamans and monks are a few examples of those who can train for that true neutrality and aura. True neutral humans are stronger than most other humans, but he would still be weaker compared to other Earth creatures, such as faeries.”

“Faeries,” Luhan repeated.

“A lot of the creatures you humans call folklore actually exist,” Kai kekkled.

Of course, they would.

Sehun tilted his head, his silver fringe sweeping across his forehead.

“So they’re not the reasons why people live?”

“They can be. Those colors you always see, they are livelier when the owner of that color is impassioned or at peace.”

“Then if I don’t have one…?”

“From what I know, you cannot see your own unless you train to see it through deep meditation. Someone else with your skill may also see it for you.”

“Want me to take you to Mr. Satan? He’s really nice! So I’m sure that he can look when he’s free if I ask. I’m one of his favorite demons.”

Sehun looked like he short-circuited, and Luhan could guess it’s from a very real invitation to see THE Lord of Hell from biblical legend. He squeezed Sehun’s hand and giggled to himself when the student whipped his head to look at their hands and squeezed back.

“It is no secret that the legion of Tehom are his favored demons,” Tao chuckled.

“It’s ‘cause my commander’s great! And they’re really good friends.”

As the two talked about Satan, the legions and glories, and aura, Luhan laughed to himself. Though the situation tottered between uncertainty and precariousness, this he didn’t mind. To be among people he cared for and who cared for him, to talk and discuss casually even if he couldn’t quite grasp the worlds that others came from yet—it felt good.

He listened to Sehun ask if he could see Mr. Satan and Kai jump up and down in excitement at the same moment he saw Vivi’s ears perk up. She let out a quiet growl, her paws, and passed through the cupboards, towards the living room. Curious, he gave Sehun’s hand a last squeeze and got up to follow.

No sooner than he did, Vivi howled. Energy ripped an opening in the middle of the living room. Luhan flew backwards, barreling into one of the lounge chairs.

“Luhan!”

Vivi’s barks and wind whipped through the living room. He hunkered down behind the flipped chair and squinted. The energy wavered at its edges, but it looked like one of those portal things that Tao had gotten a message from before. Vines materialized out of the ceiling and floor and entwined with each other, intersecting the energy. The house seemed to shake in its walls and scream just as the energy exploded. The vines shriveled back from the open portal, and Luhan felt himself shiver at the moan of the house.

Out stepped a man—no, an angel, judging from the white wings—with short dark hair, and a demeanor of authority that touched arrogance lifted his posture and expression. His eyes landed on Luhan, and Luhan froze, but they passed over him quickly and downwards towards the flying transparent bullet.

Vi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter