Chapter 3

Forever

 

Somehow, the laugh seems to be familiar. He sounds like... Hyukjae.

“W-wait. By any chance, is this Hyukjae?” I asked eagerly.

“Yes, Fany-ah. I didn’t know you recognized my voice. Anyway, are you already asleep?”

“I was about to,” I replied shortly while I tried the hardest to control my smile.

“Oh, I’m sorry. Let’s make it short then. You know it’s my first day tomorrow, right? I was thinking if we can meet up next morning for breakfast,”

“Oh, of course we can. I’ll meet you at the cafeteria at around 8.30 am, is that okay?”

“Great! Good night, Fany! See you tomorrow. Sweet dreams,” he said before he hung up the phone call.

I stood there, stared blankly at the wall. I somehow can see how I changed because of this guy. I didn’t know a phone call can made me this happy that I can’t even stop smiling. He called, he really called. I thought it was just a dream. I thought he won’t call, I just don’t think he will but he did.

I set my head on the pillow and closed my eyes before I finally fell asleep in no time. I’m just too excited for tomorrow that I didn’t spend a few hours thinking whether he’ll call me or not like last few days.

 

As I walked out from my bedroom the next morning, ready to go to college, I decided to make some breakfast for both me and Hyukjae. It was still early, though. I prepared the ingredients needed to make sandwiches and I prepared it quickly, trying the best to make it perfect. I then packed the sandwiches into a food container, brought it along with me before I walked out from the apartment, heading to college.

The walk to college only took fifteen minutes today as I walked extremely fast. It was funny because I wasn’t even exhausted when I arrived at college. Maybe I’m too excited? I don’t even know why I became like this.

I made my way to the cafeteria to meet him. I was right on time as I glanced over at my watch. My eyes scanned through the cafeteria to find Hyukjae and I finally saw him waving frantically at me with a wide grin across his face.

I smiled as I walked over to him. I pulled out the food container and placed it in front of him as I took the seat in front of him. He looked at me with his blank expression which soon changed into a big smile when he realized it was our breakfast.

“You made this?” he asked me as he opened the container and took a slice of the sandwich.

“Of course it’s me. Hey, buy some drinks first!” I said to him. He finished up the sandwich in his hand before he quickly stood up to buy the drinks.

He came back a few minutes later with a can of coffee and a bottle of strawberry milk. He handed me the coffee and I took it. He opened his strawberry milk and started sipping it slowly, with an indescribable expression. He really enjoyed strawberry that much, just like what he told me at the cafe last time. I chuckled at him.

“You seriously look like a little boy while drinking that. Anyway, I don’t think it’s that nice, but I hope it’s not too bad,” I said to Hyukjae as I pointed at the sandwiches.

“I know you wanted to say how cute I look while drinking this. I knew it. And no, it tastes good. Anything made by you will be good even when it’s not,”

“Why is that?” I asked him curiously.

“You’ll know it later. One fine day,” he replied as gave me a mysterious smile. He’s hiding something away from me. How I wish I can force him to tell it now instead of later.

Few minutes passed and we finished our sandwiches. He finished his milk before he pulled out something from his files and handed it to me. I looked at him and the paper before I took the paper hesitantly.

 “Look at my timetable,” Hyukjae said excitedly as he smiled widely at me.

As I scanned through the time table, I suddenly realized something. It seems familiar, it looks like mine. I then saw a note at the bottom of the paper which stated the class he’s in. It is the same as mine.

“We’re in the same class!” I squealed excitedly at him, drawing attentions from other students in the cafeteria.

“Yes! Since our class will be at 10.00 am today, what about we take a tour around the college first? Show me around, Fany-ah,” he suggested.

I thought about it before I finally agreed to his suggestion. I wouldn’t if it’s not because he showed me his puppy eyes. I guess, there’s no big deal about this. It’s just a tour around the college. The most thing we could do was talking to each other and nothing more than that.

 

I can see eyes were on both of us as we walked into the lecture hall. I expected that though. I glanced over at Hyukjae and saw his uneasy reaction so I just gave him a small smile.

“Don’t worry, they’re just surprised to see you,” I assured him as I walked towards my place with Hyukjae following me from behind.

I know everyone would be asking about Hyukjae and the relationship between us. No one ever saw me with a guy in the college. Even when it’s outside of the college, the only guys I hang around with are Leeteuk and my best friend’s boyfriend, Sungmin.

I can see my best friends, Sunny and Jessica looking at me with a meaningful stare. I just shook my head. I took the seat next to Sunny and I instructed Hyukjae to take the seat next to me before he hesitantly sat next to me.

“Fany-ah, aren’t you going to introduce him to us?” Sunny asked as she pointed at Hyukjae who was staring at the three of us, waiting for me to introduce him to the two of them.  

“He’s Leeteuk oppa’s cousin. His name is Hyukjae,” I said to both Sunny and Jessica.

I saw Sunny smiled before she quickly introduced herself to Hyukjae, followed by Jessica. I know Hyukjae won’t be having a hard time with these two girls, they’re much more approachable than me. They’re well known for their friendliness in this college too.

Unlike them, everyone knows how unapproachable and cold my personality is in this college. The only persons I stick to are Jessica and Sunny. Weirdly, I can’t even act like one when I’m with Hyukjae, he seems to be able to break my walls.

I sat there, listening to their conversations. They talked and talked until the lecturer walked in and started the lecture.

Throughout the lecture, I can’t help but to take a glance at him every now and then, and surprisingly, I caught him looking at me too. Maybe it was just me, but I’m pretty sure he really did looked at me. I blushed every moment our eyes met while my heart keeps on beating furiously.

 Maybe I was right, maybe I’m falling for this guy.