Chapter 10: Face the Future

별을 따다 - Pick A Star
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

“Are the two of you dating?”

The words rang in Sungyeol’s head and it took him a second to get his actions together. His first instinct was to laugh and laugh he did while patting his fan’s head that recognized him in the crowd. A pout formed on her face but blushed as soon as he crouched in front of her. How was he supposed to explain this?

“No, of course not! How adorable are you?” Sungyeol pinched her flushed cheeks as an attempt to salvage the situation. Confusing and flirting with the fans are always a good distraction. “He’s my best friend since I was a kid so we’re close. Plus, the guy has a girlfriend. Imagine his reaction if he hears that! So, no, of course not.”

Another pout. “But the two of you looks good together!”

“Sweetie, not all that looks good together are actually together.” Sungyeol flashed a smile, “Now, what were you saying earlier about a picture?”

As soon as the mention of a picture was mentioned, the girl forgot whatever else she had first said and immediately brought out her phone. After a few pictures, hugs and praises (gratitude in Sungyeol’s side), they went to separate ways. Thankfully, Myungsoo had already finished buying all the ingredients that his mother had asked him to fetch before coming home.

“A fan spotted you, huh?” Myungsoo asked as he opened the driver’s door.

Sungyeol shrugged, trying to forget about the conversation he just had.

Sensing that the taller boy didn’t want to talk about it, Myungsoo dropped the subject and started driving. In no longer than a few minutes, they arrived at Myungsoo’s house that didn’t seem to have changed from the three years that Sungyeol was gone. Everything from the trees surrounding the pathway to the feel brought by it—it screams home to Sungyeol’s ear.

But it wasn’t, it isn’t anymore.

*       *      *

Yerim was an amazing cook and an even better host.

Myungsoo and Sungyeol arrived to find her in the kitchen helping Myungsoo’s mom. They pushed the two boys away to loiter somewhere else while the food was being prepared. Around half an hour later, they were called to the dining room with the food laid out in front of them. Yerim cooked most of them, Myungsoo’s mom said proudly and Sungyeol couldn’t even disagree because they were all delicious.

It was infinitely hard to hate someone who didn’t do anything to wrong you, more so when you actually like that person. So Sungyeol watched the two of them interact and he didn’t even care if Myungsoo’s mom was watching him watching them because there was nothing he would be able to do to destroy them. Not like he wanted to, of course.

So it surprised Sungyeol when Myungsoo’s mom knocked on his door that night while Myungsoo had went out to send Yerim home. He had already anticipated a talk but he didn’t know it would come this early in the visit.

“I still would prefer for you to be my son-in-law, Sungyeol.” It was the first thing she said and Sungyeol ended up sobbing in her arms, “Ssh, don’t cry, son. I know how hard it must be that the person you love doesn’t even remember you or their feelings for you. But son, it’s not yet the end is it?”

“I… I like Yerim. I don’t want to take Myungsoo away from her…” Sungyeol whispered to her, clutching on her shoulders. She’s always been the mother figure for him ever since he and Sungjong lost theirs; he had forgotten how calm her embrace could bring. “And you like Yerim too, I can tell.”

“She’s a lovely girl and I can’t deny that somewhere deep down in me, I’d love for Myungsoo to marry a girl and give me a granddaughter.” Sungyeol stiffened with those words but she just patted him comfortably, “Don’t be an , Sungyeol. I didn’t mean that I’d rather have her than you for my son. It’s all for the three of you to decide, isn’t it?”

Sungyeol didn’t speak, afraid he’d start sobbing again and he was quite sure Myungsoo’ll be home any minute.

“I love you, Sungyeo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter