Midnight Blues

Secret Contract
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Donghae and Hyukjae was not able to leave Hyukjae's parent's house until late afternoon. They were both starting to feel the exhaustion of the day slowly take over their body. Hyukjae, without meaning to, fell asleep in the car on their way back to Seoul. Donghae glanced at him every now and then while he was stuck in traffic and couldn't help but smile as he felt unusually happy. Meeting Hyukjae's family was more fun than he thought and the warm welcome he received (even Sora's weird treatment) was something he did not expect.

Donghae looked behind him towards the back seat and laughed silently seeing the dozens of prepacked food that Hyukjae's Mom forced them to take so that they wouldn't miss her cooking too much. Not that Donghae minded because he really did enjoy her home cooked meals while he was there. The traffic suddenly let up out of nowhere grabbing Donghae's attention back on the road. Right now, all he wanted to do was get home as fast as he can and go to sleep. 

When Hyukjae felt the car pull to a stop, he stirred in his sleep and groggily looked around his surroundings. It was already pitched dark outside and there wasn't much to be seen other than the brightly lit lobby of the building where they were parked. 

"Oh, good. You're up." Donghae said as he gathered some of his things around the car in his hands and opened the car door. "Come on down. I'm tired."

Still not fully awake, Hyukjae was startled when somebody suddenly opened his side of the door causing him to almost fall out. He looked to see who opened his door but all he saw was some uniformed man waiting for him to go down. Afraid to keep him waiting any longer, Hyukjae quickly unbuckled his seatbelt and got down from the car. He watched Donghae talk to the other (he assumed) valet and headed inside the building. Hyukjae remained in his spot, still confused as to what exactly was going on. 

"What are you doing?" Donghae called by the entrance of the building. "Let's go."

Feeling a little stumped, Hyukjae moved his feet before he could even process what was going on. Entering the huge interior of the building, Hyukjae felt a little intimidated and...slightly underdressed. 

"Donghae," Hyukjae whispered. "Why are we at a hotel?"

Donghae turned to him with a raised eyebrow and an amused smirk. "What are you talking about?"

Donghae watched Hyukjae look around the lobby with great interest. His fatigue from earlier momentarily forgotten as he watched Hyukjae look like a lost child next to him as the other walked closely next to him. He can't seem to recall Hyukjae ever initiating such close physical contact with him ever since he's met him. It was refreshing to say the least. 

"Donghae, I'm tired." Hyukjae mumbled under his breath not wanting any of the workers to hear him. "I wanna go home."

Without missing a beat, Donghae said, "You are home." 

Hyukjae frowned as he did not find Donghae's joke amusing at all. He was way too tired to even think about a snappy comeback. Hyukjae saw two people bow their heads formally in front of Donghae and watched as the receptionist handed Donghae his key. 

"Welcome back, Mr. Lee. We've arranged everything as per your instructions."

"Thanks," Donghae said then started to walk towards the elevator. "Make sure they bring the food in my car as soon as possible."

"Yes, sir," the receptionist acknowledged then bowed her head again. 

Hyukjae was a little weirded out at how much respect they were giving Donghae and wondered if he should just turn around himself and maybe catch the bus somewhere to his apartment. Do they even have buses around here? Hyukjae was just about to turn his body to sneak away from Donghae when the latter called after him. 

"Yah! Hurry up! I'm tired." 

The way Donghae's voice echoed around the spacious and eerily quiet lobby startled Hyukjae. His first reaction was to immediately look towards the workers, who was still keeping their heads low, in order to apologize on Donghae's behalf. Like robots, they simply bent their body forward to acknowledge Hyukjae's words then one of the uniformed workers motioned with his arms for Hyukjae to follow after Donghae. Not wanting to be disrespectful Hyukjae just nodded his head and then rushed to join Donghae inside the elevator where another personnel was holding it open for him. 

An awkard silence followed after them once the elevator doors closed and the two of them were left alone. Hyukjae looked at where the buttons for the floors were supposed to be and was slightly confused when he only saw one. 

"It's my personal elevator," Donghae said as though he read Hyukjae's mind. "It only goes to my unit."

"Your unit?"

"Yes," Donghae confirmed giving Hyukjae a look. "They already confirmed that your valuables are here so I'll show you your room and we can both get some rest for the night."

Hyukjae's mouth formed an 'o' as he bobbed his head in understanding. Three seconds later, Donghae's words sunk in his head and he swiftly turned to look at him in shock. "Wait - what?!"

Donghae yawned and leaned against the elevator walls as he ed a few buttons on the top of his shirt. "Don't worry. Sungmin's very reliable and I'm pretty sure none of your stuff is broken."

"I'm not worried about that, you idiot!" Hyukjae scolded and crossed his arms as he gave Donghae a look of disbelief. "Why the hell would you move my things here without my permission?"

Donghae frowned at Hyukjae's upset tone. "What are you talking about? Moving in together was in the contract."

"I know that but...but still!" Hyukjae stomped his feet just as the elevator dinged and the doors opened. "Donghae, we need to set up some more boundaries between us."

Donghae released a heavy sigh and walked out of the elevator into his penthouse. "Write whatever rules you want. I'm going to bed."

Hyukjae timidly followed behind Donghae. He looked around his place and was amazed at how big it was. His apartment was definitely nothing compared to this. His entire apartment unit wasn't even half of Donghae's living room. Donghae disappeared down the hallway somewhere and Hyukjae wasn't sure if he was free to just wander around like this. 

"Donghae-ah..." Hyukjae called softly as he peered into one of the open arches that led to the kitchen. He couldn't believe his eyes when he saw the design of Donghae's kitchen. It was black and white themed with tall marble tops matched with high chairs meant for guests. There was a wine cooler next to his smart fridge and Hyukjae could clearly see a recipe that he assumed Donghae used daily since it was pinned on the homescreen. Wine glasses hung over the the marbled counter and there was enough open space in it that Hyukjae thought he could fit his own bed in there if he wanted...maybe even a small couch.

Pulling himself away from Donghae's unbelievably extravagant kitchen, he moved down towards the first door he saw on the left but it was only the guest bathroom. He closed the

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter