Why I Like You

Secret Contract
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: I am very satisfied with the response I got for my little surprise for you all haha - I'm so happy I decided to add in the background for them! xD 
Thank you so much everyone for the feedback I've been getting for this story -- I didn't expect so many people to read this when I started so I just want you all to know I appreciate you all and I hope to hear more from everyone as we near the end ^^ I love you all~ <3

XD

Now that the mushy part is over, let me present to you, our featured comment of the day!!! *drum roll please~* -- ......


Exactly what I was going for, LOL XD

 

 

Donghae exited the elevator and stepped into his apartment with a heavy sigh. He had just come from having breakfast with his parents and Hyukjae but today, for some reason, his mother just would not let him linger around their home a little longer. The past week had only been bearable with the fact that he was able to see and spend a little time with Hyukjae, despite the constant back and forth between his house, his work and his parent's house, it was all worth it if he could spend a few hours of his day to see and be with Hyukjae. 

On his way to the kitchen, Donghae took out his phone from his back pocket to finally read the reply Hyukjae sent to his text earlier after his mother practically pushed him out the door after eating their breakfast. 

From: Baby Hyukkie:
I'm not sure either. She just said we'll see each other at the rehearsal tomorrow night. 

Donghae frowned at the idea that he was not allowed to see Hyukjae again for an entire day.

To: Baby Hyukkie
WHAT!? T^T NO! that's too long...

From: Baby Hyukkie
Relax, it's not the end of the world.

To: Baby Hyukkie
But I'm gonna miss you... 🥺

Donghae had on a silly smile to his face after sending his message to Hyukjae that it caught him by complete surprise to suddenly hear another voice in the room with him. 

"When are you gonna stop looking like a love sick idiot?"

Donghae nearly jumped out of his skin when he heard Sungmin's voice and looked up from his phone just to scowl at the other for nearly scaring him to death. 

"Sungmin! What the hell?!" Donghae clutched at his chest while putting his phone back in his pocket and leaning his left hand over the counter top to try and calm his rapidly beating heart. "You nearly scared me to death! What are you doing here?"

Sungmin just raised an eyebrow at him then shook his head side to side and continued to stir the tea he made for himself earlier. 

"I brought the documents you need to sign for the merger with MR. We need to have this filed before the end of business today or we lose the contract with them."

Donghae furrowed his brows together as he took the folder Sungmin brought him then grabbed the pen that the other offered him before signing on the dotted line. Donghae flipped through the pages one more time before clicking on the pen again and handing the documents back to Sungmin. By the time he looked up, he saw his best friend giving him the side eye.

"What?"

Sungmin took the folder from Donghae but the dubious look he was giving him remained. "Have you talked to Hyukjae?"

"About what?" 

Sungmin rolled his eyes at Donghae, not at all in the mood to play with his charade. "You know what."

Donghae's response to him was to grin from ear to ear before walking around him to go to the fridge and get himself his bottle of water. Sungmin groaned exasperatedly and turned around to keep his eyes on Donghae. 

"Yah, I thought you were gonna tell Hyukjae everything."

Donghae shut the door of the fridge then leaned his back against it, giving Sungmin a full view of his amused face. "I will, Min. Don't worry."

He felt his phone buzz in his pocket again and pulled it out. The smile on his face growing bigger by the second as soon as he saw Hyukjae's response to him. 

From: Baby Hyukkie
It's hard to miss you back when you won't let me.

"Donghae!" Sungmin yelled to bring Donghae back to earth with him and crossed his arms across his chest while shaking his head at the other disapprovingly. Donghae looked at Sungmin for a second before looking back down on his phone and just sending Hyukjae a bunch of kissy emojis before putting his phone away. Sungmin was still frowning at him which Donghae didn't understand the reason why. 

"Why are you looking at me like that?"

"When are you going to tell him the truth, Donghae?" Sungmin asked again, this time his tone more insistent. 

Donghae sighed then placed his bottle of water on the counter behind him before taking a few steps closer to Sungmin and placing both hands on his shoulders while looking him straight in the eye. "Don't worry, Min," Donghae said with a smile playing around on his face that had Sungmin narrowing his eyes at him again, all the reservations he had before coming back up when he recognized that familiar look on Donghae's face. "I have a plan." 

Flashback

Sungmin waved the man in front of him goodbye as he took the folder he placed on his desk carefully. He slowly took each document out and carefully read the information one by one. Donghae had asked him to get every information he could about one of their employees and Sungmin has no idea why Donghae would have any sudden interest to this specific employee. 

"Alright, Lee Hyukjae," Sungmin muttered his name under his breath with an inquiring hum. "Let's see what makes you so interesting." 

Sungmin's eyes read everything that was handed to him and frowned when he found nothing particularly interesting in him. He was just an ordinary guy who went to a local college and achieved subpar grades. There were no outstanding extracurriculars on his resume nor did he have any special recognized achievments. His work ethic were exemplary, if you were just taking into account the things that were handed to him. As far as Sungmin could tell, he was just like any other employee they have on the lower floor and he could not for the life of him figure out why Donghae would go through all this extra effort to get to know him. 

A frustrated exhale of breath came out of his lips and Sungmin had to rub the bridge of his nose to prevent the incoming headache he could already feel brewing from Donghae's eccentric task. He gathered all the documents back up into one pile and returned it inside the folder before getting up from his seat to go to Donghae's office and deliver the file to the other. Sungmin didn't bother to knock and just opened Donghae's office door then went straight for the chair opposite him, completely disregarding the fact that the other was busy sorting through documents of his own. 

"Did you get it?" Donghae asked without looking up from the paper that needed his signature. 

Sungmin pursed his lips together and furrowed his eyebrows at Donghae, trying to determine whether or not he should give the other the document. 

"I did," he eventually answered then when he saw Donghae reach his hand out for the file, Sungmi crossed his eyesbrows together and gripped it tight in his chest. When Donghae's arm started to feel numb from the waiting, he removed his eyes from the paper he was signing and looked up to see a look of disapproval on Sungmin's face. "I'm not giving this to you until you tell me what it's for."

Donghae frowned and dropped his arm down on his desk.

"Min, weren't you the one who told me if you didn't want to be involved in something to not tell you anything?"

"This is different. Donghae, you just invaded an employee's personal privacy."

"Ex-employee." Sungmin's frown only deepened hearing that. "I'm pretty sure Kim would have fired him by now after that stunt in the morning meeting."

"Donghae, who is this person and why are you so interested in him?"

Donghae blinked and pondered Sungmin's question in his head before honestly saying, "I don't know," then took another moment to reflect on his answer before putting on a silly smile on his face and continuing. "I just find him interesting."

Sungmin narrowed his eyes at Donghae which only made the other chuckle at his reaction. "Didn't you always tell me to do my research before acting on something?"

"What exactly is this research for?" Sungmin inquired while handing the file over to Donghae.

The other tried to refrain from showing too much excitement while he took the file from Sungmin. He just hummed in acknowledgmnet and looked through the series of school photos that was also included in the file. His brain immediately recognizing that small grin on Hyukjae's high school photo as though he'd just seen it yesterday.

"Are you sure this is alright, Doc?"

"Yes, of course."

"Um...maybe-maybe I can just write him  a letter."

A soft chuckle was heard and Donghae wasn't sure who either of those voices belonged to. 

"Don't fret so much. Coma patients responds better when we talk to them. Many of them wake up with new memories of the things they heard in their sleep, even if  they wake up years later on."

"Years?! He's gonna be in a coma for years?"

"No." Another chuckle was heard and now Donghae was really curious as to who these people are and what they were talking about. "I'm just waiting for the swelling in his brain to subside and when I'm sure his brain waves are normal, then I can slowly wake him up."

"His brain? Then...that means he might not even hear me or understand me if he has brain damage."

"Yes, that is a possibility." 

Silence followed that and the only thing Donghae could hear was a high pitched beeping sound. He wasn't sure what it was that was making that sound but it was starting to annoy him. He tried to move his hand but no matter how much his brain told him to get up, to open his eyes and assess his area, his body just would not listen to him. He felt a soft touch by his right arm and it bothered him greatly to not know who the person touching him was. 

"I have to go check on some patients. I'll be back for you, okay?"

"Uhm- y-yes, Doctor Park. Th-Thank you."

"Just talk to him. I'm sure he'd be happy to get to know you."

'What the hell is going on? Who is this?' Donghae mentally thought to himself and tried to force his eyes open but no matter what he did, he could not move a single eyelid. He tried to move or make a sound but nothing he tried worked. He was still surrounded by darkness and the only sign that he was nnot alone was the presence of the person standing by his bed. The sound of the door sliding open and shut was heard and that was the only clue Donghae had that he was now alone with the person who was touching his arm. 

"Uhm...he-hello..."

Donghae could hear the nervousness in his voice and tried to think who it could belong to, but no matter how much he tried to rack his brain, the owner of the voice remained a mystery him. 

"haha -- this...this is awkward. Aish, what am I going to do? What am I supposed to say?" 

'Idiot. Tell me your name.'

"Uhh- we-well, I...I suppose I should start out by telling you my name. I-I mean, it's only fair since I know yours." Donghae heard the sound of his nervous laughter and if he could move his mouth, he would have smiled. "My name is Lee Hyukjae. I...I donated the blood they needed for your surgery a few weeks ago. Um,...we-well, you see, I-I thought you'd be awake by now, but you're still sleeping and I don't want to interrupt your sleep so I'm sorry if I'm disturbing you. Can-Can you even hear me? Ugh -- you probably can't. I'm just talking to myself here and telling you a bunch of nonsense." 

Donghae had no choice but listen to Hyukjae rant to himself. It was amusing at first but the more he heard the varying degrees of conflict in his voice, the more he wanted to open his eyes and see the person talking to him right now. 

"I told Dr. Park it wasn't necessary for your family to thank me. I mean,  I did it just cause I knew you needed it, you know. I mean- not-not knew because how could I possibly 'know' something like that. I just meant, in my gut, you know? Like, it was just the right thing to do. If you can save someone then you should. We only get one chance to live our life, you know and...and it would be a shame if yours ended here in the...i

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter