Mirror - Day 1

Secret Contract
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Donghae."

"What?"

"I'm bored."

"What do you want me to do about it?"

Hyukjae pouted to himself, at a complete loss himself on what he wanted the other to do. He groaned and got up from the mini bench they were sitting on and crouched down on the floor so that he was at eye level of the coffee table. He took the teapot they were drinking earlier and poured it over his cup, then frowned when nothing came out. Hyukjae opened the lid and groaned quietly when he saw that it was now empty. 

"Donghae." He called again.

"What?"

"We're out of tea."

Donghae sighed and took his eyes away from his phone to give Hyukjae an exasperated look. "They're going to serve dinner at six."

"Oh." Hyukjae was quiet for about five seconds before he asked, "What are they gonna give us?"

Donghe resisted the urge to groan out loud and tilted his head back so that Hyukjae couldn't see him rolling his eyes at his endless amount of questions. 

"Hyukjae. I'm in here with you. How would I know what they're going to give us?"

"Are they going to come here?"

"No." Donghae answered and gave up reading the document Sungmin emailed him as he put his phone in back pocket. "There's a dumbwaiter over there. It'll open when they send our food up." 

Hyukjae followed Donghae's finger and saw a well decorated mahogany painted dark brown on the wall. At first glance it looked like it just matched the design of inner walls of the temple but upon taking a closer look, Hyukjae could see the bigger outlines around its edges. He chewed on his lower lip and nervously looked at Donghae. Are they seriously going to be locked in here for three days? Just the two of them?

"Uhm...Donghae?"

Donghae gave Hyukjae a bored look and muttered, "What?"

"Is there a bathroom here?"

Donghae nodded his head to left to show Hyukjae the right direction to it. "It's over there behind the giant blue vase."

Hyukjae nodded his head and got up from the floor and briskly walked there. Donghae watched after him curious, but when Hyukjae continued to walk without looking back, he just sighed and shook his head helplessly. He took that time to go back to his phone and finish reading the proposal project that Sungmin sent him earlier. 

Hyukjae, on the other hand, quickly found the bathroom in order to lock himself inside. As soon as he locked the door, he turned around and was met face to face by his panicked look in the mirror. Groaning at his own thoughts earlier, he quickly the cold tap water and started splashing himself incessantly until he felt his heart calm down a little. He gasped out loud after soaking his face and turned the water off before taking another gander at his reflection.

"Get ahold of yourself, Lee Hyukjae." He said to himself as he wiped away the excess water off his face. "Get your head together. This is business. It's part of the contract." He lightly hit his head over and over as if to punish himself for feeling something that was anything but platonic towards Donghae. A sudden knock at the door had him jumping in place and looked at it with fright.

"Hyukjae?" Donghae's faint voice came through the door. "Is everything okay?"

"Y-Yeah!" Hyukjae answered him and then grimaced when he stuttered. He cursed under his breath and glared at his reflection in the mirror for doing such a stupid mistake. "I'm just- uhm...I need a minute!"

It was quiet for a little bit and then he heard Donghae say, "Okay."

Hyukjae waited a couple more seconds and put his ear against the door trying to listen if Donghae was still at the other side of the door. When he heard absolutely nothing, Hyukjae was able to release a sigh of relief and then leaned his back against it. His head lightly banging against the door while his right hand made a fist and lightly hit his chest where his heart resided. 

Don't do it, Hyukjae. He thought to himself as he closed his eyes and continued to hit his chest. Don't fall in love with him. 

Meanwhile, Donghae remained completely still on the other side of the door, his head leaned against it trying to see if he could hear anything wrong with Hyukjae inside the bathroom. When he heard faint thumping noises he got worried and was about to knock on the door again but then felt his phone vibrate against his back pocket. Albeit reluctant to leave Hyukjae alone, Donghae decided to step away for a minute to answer the phone. 

He didn't bother to look at the caller when he answered.

"Hello?"

"Donghae."

"Hyung." He acknowledged, a little surprised to hear his brother's voice. "What's wrong? Why are you calling me?"

"Nothing's wrong with me. It's you I'm worried about. Umma just texted me that you're in ritual right now. Why the hell didn't you tell me you were getting married?"

Donghae scrunched his face a little guilty that he did forget to let his brother know about his plans to marry. "S-Sorry, Hyung. It just happened so fast."

"Too fast." Donghae heard some shuffling on the other line of the phone then his brother spoke again. "Are you nervous?"

"Nervous? No." Donghae answered confidently then started walking around the temple, glancing over the carefully constructed design of the building with little to no interest. "I don't have anything to worry about."

A deep chuckle came on the other line which made Donghae curious as to what amused his brother so. "You've always been a hopeless romantic."

Donghae froze and had to replay his brother's words in his head. "Excuse me?"

"I'm just saying, Hae. You need to think about all possibilities." 

Donghae frowned and switched the phone to his other ear. "What are you talking about?"

"When Mina and I entered the temple, I didn't think we'd separate either."

"Hyung," Donghae didn't mean to sound so deadpan but he couldn't help but point it out to him. "You're divorced."

Instead of taking offense, his brother just laughed again. "I am, but I have a son and no regrets."

Donghae took a deep breathe, not quite getting what his brother was trying to say. "Hyung, what are you-"

"I'm going to tell you now what I've always told you." Donghae sighed quietly, finally getting what his brother was trying to say. "The company isn't everything."

Donghae saw Hyukjae finally emerge from the bathroom and felt his heart quicken a little. "Hyung, I have to go."

"Alright, but think about what I said okay, Donghae? At some point you have to start thinking of yourself."

Donghae just mumbled a response back before ending the call. He looked around to see where Hyukjae had gone and found him back by the coffee table sitting on the floor. Hyukjae looked like a lost child sitting down cross legged on the floor like that looking around the room like it was his first time there. He watched Hyukjae pout and blow a raspberry before grabbing the empty tea pot and forced it to pout tea into his cup. He muffled a snicker and shook his head at him, helpless. Donghae was about to walk towards him when he heard the ding of the dumbwaiter. Hyukjae heard it too and looked up expectantly. This time, Donghae didn't bother to hide his laughter as he opened the door of the dumbwaiter and carried the tray over to the coffee table. 

"Food's here?!" Hyukjae asked excitedly. 

Donghae shook his head with a smile and carefully placed the tray down. "Yes, your highness. Food is here."

Hyukjae ignored Donghae's sarcasm and just focused his attention on the bowl of rice and the three side dishes that was served to them. He was about to dig in when he noticed something. 

"Wait a second. There's only one set

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter