Chapter 12

Avengers of Kpop

SuperW went back ahead after their event in Paris. While they were on the plane, most of them fell asleep immediately except for Taeyeon. She just received a message from her sister that her father passed away due to a heart attack. She was still in shock as her heartbeat went fast.

 
Taeyeon: No, this can't be. It's too sudden, Appa.
 
Taeyeon started to cry silently as not to wake her co-members and tried to calm herself. She decided to go to the restroom. Mina just went out of it and saw her.
 
Mina: Hey...unnie? Are you alright?
 
She didn't expect that Mina was there and saw her in that situation. She immediately embraced her and cried.
 
Mina: Unnie? What happened?
 
Mina was surprised and just hugged her back.
 
Taeyeon: My sister messaged me that my father passed away due to a heart attack.
 
Mina: What?! That's too sudden... You can pour it out as much as you want, unnie. I'm here.
 
Taeyeon: Thank you so much, Mina.
 
Taeyeon went home right after they arrived from Paris and spent her time to be with her family.
 
Only Mina, Irene, and Jennie were able to visit together the day after since the others had activities.
 
The wake was just done in private near a mountain with the family's close relatives and friends. Together with her sister, they greeted and thanked those who visited their father's wake while their mother was having a conversation with a relative.
 
Mina: Unnie, I'm sorry for your loss.
 
Irene: We brought you some food for the visitors.
 
Jennie: Have some rest too, okay?
 
Taeyeon: Yes, I will. Thank you for being here.
 
Then she asked her sister to check on her mom in case she needs anything. The girls hugged her and went in front of the picture of Taeyeon's father and uttered their prayers.
 
Few minutes later, a car arrived and went out wearing black outfits.
 
Hayeon, Taeyeon's sister, happened to go out and saw them. She immediately called Taeyeon about the visitors who came.
 
Taeyeon was surprised upon knowing about it and she quickly went out to greet them.
 
Taeyeon: Mr. Lee. I didn't expect that you'd come.
 
LSM: My deepest condolences, Taeyeon.
 
LSM said and held her hands.
 
Taeyeon: Thank you so much, sir.
 
The two companions stepped forward as well.
 
"Noona, we're sorry for your loss."
 
"The others can't make it. We're here if you need a hand."
 
Taeyeon: Thank you Mark and Baekhyun. I appreciate it.
 
Then they went inside as the three men uttered their prayers for Taeyeon's father.
 
Mina, Irene and Jennie went out to leave first after greeting the three of them since they have event schedules in the evening.
 
Meanwhile, Baekhyun and Mark greeted Taeyeon's mom afterwards.
 
Taeyeon's mom: Thank you very much for coming.
 
Baekhyun: No problem, ma'am. Our boss wanted to visit too so we went with him today.
 
Then her mom smiled calmly to him.
 
Taeyeon's mom: Have we met before, young man?
 
Baekhyun: Me, ma'am?
 
He also looked at Mark with a confused face.
 
Taeyeon's mom: Oh right. I remember now. You and Taeyeon are together before, right?
 
Baekhyun had mixed emotions upon hearing it while Mark tried to hide his laugh.
 
Baekhyun: Oh hehehe that's already in the past, ma'am.
 
Mark: You have a sharp memory, ma'am.
 
Taeyeon's mom: Not really. I just remembered him because he's so bright and kind.
 
Then Mark whispered something.
 
Mark: Wow hyung. Her mom approved. A second chance, perhaps?
 
Baekhyun shook his head and elbowed him. Then he cleared his throat before speaking again.
 
Baekhyun: It's so kind for you to remember me that way, ma'am. Hehehe
 
Taeyeon's mom: Of course. I remember kind people easily. Thank you for being here.
 
Baekhyun and Mark bowed to her then excused themselves and went to Taeyeon.
 
Mark: Hyung, you were in a hot seat just now.
 
Baekhyun: I didn't expect that she still remembers me since it's been a while already.
 
Taeyeon: Hey guys.
 
Baekhyun was startled when she greeted them.
 
Mark: Hi noona.
 
Baekhyun: Hey. Do you need help with something?
 
Taeyeon: It's okay, Baek. Thank you.
 
Mark: Noona, are you okay?
 
Baekhyun looked at her intently when Mark asked. She looks a little pale and tired.
 
Baekhyun: Have you rested or eaten anything?
 
Taeyeon: I just ate a little this morning. I feel a bit tired but I'm okay.
 
Baekhyun thought otherwise and touched her forehead.
 
"You're burning." he said.
 
Taeyeon: I already took medicine this morning.
 
Baekhyun: You should rest, okay? Your mom is looking after you and your sister now that you're father is gone. She's working hard too.
 
Taeyeon suddenly broke down in tears.
 
Mark: Omo.
 
Baekhyun: H-Hey calm down. I'm sorry. Did I say something bad?
 
Taeyeon shook her head as tears continued to flow from her eyes but she almost lost her balance. Baekhyun luckily grabbed her in time.
 
The two men looked at each other and was confused.
 
Baekhyun: Uhm, Mark please call her sister please.
 
Mark immediately looked for Hayeon while Baekhyun held her arms to support her from falling.
 
Baekhyun: Tae, you should take care of yourself.
 
Taeyeon just looked at him with teary eyes. He was about to wipe her tears when Hayeon and Mark arrived. They immediately took her upstairs in a room where she can lie down.
 
Hayeon: Thank you, sir. For looking after my sister
 
Hayeon bowed towards Baekhyun.
 
Baekhyun: I-It's nothing. We're her friends here.
 
He covered her with the blanket while Hayeon put a towel in Taeyeon's forehead.
 
Taeyeon: Baek... Thanks...
 
Mark and Hayeon looked at him. Taeyeon was half awake and looked at him with a tired expression.
 
Baekhyun: Shhhh. You should rest now.
 
After that Taeyeon finally closed her eyes.
 
Later on, the three men finally departed from the place. Mark and Baekhyun were dropped at SM since LSM had a meeting outside.
 
Mark: Hyung, can I ask you something?
 
Baekhyun: What is it?
 
Mark: I'm just curious. Why did you and Taeyeon noona broke up?
 
Baekhyun: It's a long story.
 
Mark: I have the time to listen.
 
He looked at the young man and smirked.
 
Baekhyun: You're still too young, Mark. Wait until you grow up.
 
Mark: What? That's not a valid reason, hyung! I'm already a grown up.
 
Baekhyun walked fast as Mark tried to catch up.
 
Baekhyun: Grow taller, Mark. Haha!
 
Mark: Not fair! Wait up!
 
But Baekhyun just walked faster.
 
 
 
 
Taemin arrived in Korea with Lucas and Ten. He was looking around the area.
 
Ten: Hyung, what are you looking for?
 
Taemin: Oh, nothing. I'm just...
 
Then he suddenly saw Na Eun but she was not in her uniform and went inside a van with some company.
 
Lucas: Oh there's our service. I'm starving!
 
The three of them went in their service as Ten and Lucas just took a nap quickly while going to a place to eat. Taemin can't help but wonder but just took a nap.
 
"Should I message her? Hmmm, no I should not. Maybe she's busy. " he thought while his eyes were closed.
 
That evening as Taemin was scrolling down in Youtube, he saw a video that caught his attention and he immediately watched it.
 
"Stop smiling, Taemin." he said to himself after the video ended. "So Na Eun is doing product endorsements nowadays?"
 
Her scarf is still with him for a few days now since they've been busy lately and he didn't have a chance to return it. He decided to message her for the first time after quite a while.
 
"Hi Na Eun! How have you been? I forgot to tell you that you left your scarf in the car last time."
 
He read it a couple of times before finally sending it. After a few seconds, his cellphone beeped.
 
On the other hand, Na Eun is currently in her room and lays down her bed when she received a message. Her eyes widened that made her sit up on her bed.
 
"Hi oppa. I'm good. Thanks. Oh yeah, about that, I'm sorry for the inconvenience. Where are you now? I'll just get it since I have no work today."
 
He felt happy with her quick response to him.
 
"It's okay. No worries. I can drop it off at your place now, if you're not busy."
 
Na Eun: Now?
 
She uttered and suddenly felt nervous and Taemin wondered why she didn't reply for a few minutes now and decided to give her a call. He was already inside his car at that time.
 
Na Eun was thinking of what to say when he suddenly called that startled her.
 
Na Eun: Why are you calling? Don't tell me you're already ---
 
She just composed herself and answered his call calmly.
 
"Hello?"
 
"Na Eun-ah, you're still staying in the same hotel right? I'm almost there."
 
"W-What? Are you serious?
 
"Yes. I'm already driving."
 
She just facepalmed herself. 'This is what you get Na Eun for not replying immediately' that's what she thought.
 
"Are you still there, Na Eun-ah? I'm already outside."
 
"Ah yes, yes. I'm sorry. Uhm, I'm going down now."
 
Then they both ended the call and she immediately went to the elevator going down.
 
Na Eun: He drives so fast.
 
She went out of the hotel carefully and looked around. She saw Taemin's car parked just at the side.
 
Na Eun walked quickly when her phone rang.
 
"Yes? I'm already outside."
 
"I see you. Just come inside the front seat, okay?"
 
"Uhm, alright."
 
Na Eun agreed right away as to not make him go out from his car.
 
"Hi." it was all he could say for meeting her again.
 
She faced his side but she couldn't clearly see it since he was wearing a cap but he can see his sweet smile.
 
She cleared before saying anything.
 
"Uhm, can I have it?"
 
"Ah yeah. Here."
 
Taemin gave it to her and she immediately gets it from him.
 
"Thanks. I got to go now."
 
"Oh wait. Here."
 
He handed her an ice cream sandwich. Na Eun looked at it then back at him.
 
"You can eat it here."
 
She can't say no since it was one of her favorites.
 
"I also bought one for myself." he added and showed it to her while opening it.
 
"Thank you, oppa."
 
Taemin smiled at her while both of them were just eating silently.
 
She noticed that he had an elastic bandage wrapped around his right hand.
 
"Were you injured?" She asked out of the blue in the middle of a few minutes of silence. He looked at her then on his hand.
 
"Ah yeah. I got a minor accident in Paris. But it's almost okay."
 
She just nodded and finished eating.
 
"So you're into product endorsements? I saw a video of you with CHICOR earlier." he suddenly asked that surprised her.
 
"Uhm, once in a while. But I'm focused more on my career now."
 
Then there was a moment of silence.
 
"Thank you for bringing my scarf back. Sorry for the trouble. Good night."
 
Na Eun quickly went out of his car and walked swiftly towards the hotel. She was rather cautious that they met that time.
 
Taemin just looked at her going inside the hotel and sighed deeply with a smile on his face.
 
Taemin: I guess I'll start from square one again.
 
Na Eun finally reached her room and immediately lie on her bed while hugging her pillow.
 
Her phone beeped with a text message.
 
"Take care, Na Eun-ah. I'll see you when I see you. :) "
 
She felt her heart beating fast after reading Taemin's text message but she decided not to reply and just leave it be. Na Eun had a hard time being close to him earlier and she doesn't want to stir her heart again for him.
 
 
 
 
NCT 127 is starting to prepare for their comeback while Mark and Taeyong were still in Paris. When they arrived in Korea, they immediately went ahead to catch up. They will be releasing it a month from now so they are starting with practicing the dance choreography followed by the music video.
 
The concept incorporated Bruce Lee, a samurai/mafia theme and aims to convey the message, 'Let’s overcome our trauma.'
 
Taeyong and Mark are currently in the recording studio with the other members of NCT 127, the music director and producer.
 
While waiting for a go signal, Taeyong was browsing news articles. He noticed that news about anxiety, depression or suicide is not evident anymore unlike before. But news about artists recovering and having a comeback in the industry are circulating a lot and he just smiled thinking about it.
 
'Our comeback song's message is so timely.' he thought.
 
Then he suddenly remembered the underground rap battle and QueenM. He went to the site to know any latest news or rap battle but unfortunately, there wasn't. He just sighed and shifted his gaze to the other members who were catching up with Mark.
 
Later on, Mark took a seat beside him.
 
Mark: Hyung! You've been silent. What's up?
 
Taeyong: Nothing much. I badly need a massage, man.
 
Mark: Me too! We should get one on the weekend.
 
After that, they were called to start with the recording then proceeded immediately with the dance practice.
 
That night, Taeyong went out last from SM Entertainment building because he was the last member to do the dress rehearsal for their upcoming MV photoshoot and video. Jack was just waiting for him inside the van.
 
Jack: Hey man.
 
Taeyong: Hi Jack. I'm starving.
 
He immediately leans his head back and just closed his eyes. He's calling it a day.
 
Jack: Where do you want to eat?
 
Taeyong: Hmmm, I trust you. You know my favorite place to eat.
 
Jack: Sure. But slow down, okay? You need to be fit.
 
Taeyong: Yes. Noted that. Don't worry.
 
Jack drove off and stopped over in a restaurant where he usually eats when he's tired.
 
Jack: We're here, Taeyong.
 
He immediately wears his cap and mask before they went out from the car.
 
Jack ordered two bowls of Kalguksu for each of them and a bowl of Tteokbokki to share.
 
Taeyong: Man, there's no underground rap battle schedule these days.
 
Jack: That's good! At least you're gonna have to focus on your comeback.
 
Taeyong just frowned behind his mask. "You're supposed to be sad too." he added.
 
Jack: Focus man. I know you're interested in that QueenM that's why you're sad.
 
Taeyong: O-Of course not! I just miss competing.
 
Jack: Stop lying. I know you well.
 
Then their orders finally arrived and Taeyong's mood finally lightened up as the both of them ate.
 
Later on, a familiar figure went inside the restaurant and Taeyong can't help but notice. One of them looks familiar to him.
 
"You know what, you should check this out."
 
"Right. That's a pretty decent style."
 
They were headed towards them. They were wearing masks and cap too. They took a seat on the next table behind Taeyong.
 
Taeyong felt a bit conscious while eating and was just listening to their conversation.
 
"You just got here from Paris. How was it?"
 
"It was fun with the girls. We get along easily surprisingly."
 
'Paris?' he thought.
 
Taeyong excused himself and went to the restroom. He took a glimpse of them as he stood up and walked at a slow pace.
 
"I thought you said you're gonna have a hard time with them, Solar?"
 
'Solar?' he coughed as they walked past them. 'That's why she looked familiar.'
 
Taeyong arrived in the restroom and composed himself before going back to their table.
 
Waiter: Thank you for waiting. Here's your order for take out.
 
Solar: Thank you.
 
She was searching her wallet in his bag but can't seem to find it.
 
Solar: Anna, do you have extra there? I forgot my wallet.
 
Anna: Oh my. I didn't bring extra.
 
Taeyong heard all of it and tapped the waiter.
 
Taeyong: Excuse me, how much is it all sir?
 
Solar and Anna were surprised and looked at him.
 
The waiter showed him their bill. Good thing, he brought with him his credit card.
 
Taeyong: I'll pay for it, sir.
 
Waiter: Thank you, sir. I'll be back shortly.
 
The girls were left dumbfounded and just looked at each other.
 
Anna: Thank you very much, good sir!
 
Anna thanked him while shaking his hands but Solar immediately shoved it off.
 
Solar: Hmm, what are you up to? You're not picking girls with that tactic, are you?"
 
She looked at him suspiciously while crossing her arms. Jack finally stood up as he noticed the tension.
 
Jack: Hey, hey. Take it easy ma'am. My boss just wants to help.
 
 
Taeyong could sense her strong personality like she's ready to hit him anytime. So he decided to take off his mask to make himself known to her.
 
Solar: Oh my! I'm so sorry!
 
Solar said apologetically while taking off her mask as well. She held his arm and pulled him to take a seat beside him.
 
Taeyong: I'm sorry but I heard your conversation earlier and I thought you looked familiar.
 
She leaned quite close to him and whispered something.
 
Solar: Really? You got a good eye. But what are you doing here?
 
Taeyong: I'm eating with my friend.
 
Her face was quite close him and he just didn't budge.
 
She really felt embarrassed by how she acted earlier. Jack decided to take a seat beside Anna.
 
Solar: I'm really really sorry.
 
She said while covering her face in embarrassment.
 
Taeyong: It's alright. You're just cautious. Oh yeah, this is Jack, my PA and close friend.
 
Solar: Oh hi. By the way, this is Anna. My best friend and PA as well.
 
Taeyong: Wow. We shared the same case.
 
Solar: Yeah, I just don't trust a lot of people.
 
Jack: Yeah. Seems like it.
 
Taeyong just elbowed him lightly and looked at him while shaking his head.
 
Jack: I'm just kidding. It's alright. No worries, Ms. Solar.
 
Then the waiter finally went back and returned Taeyong's credit card.
 
Anna: Wait a minute, you're that Taeyong from NCT 127 and Super M, right?
 
He just nodded shyly as Anna had a shocked expression.
 
Anna: Oh mo! I'm a fan. Really! You're so cool!
 
Taeyong: Thank you, Anna. Uhm, where are you guys heading?
 
Solar: We're going back to the hotel. We just ordered take out food for the other girls.
 
Taeyong: We can drop you there. We're heading back to our place as well.
 
Anna: Really?
 
Solar eyed her and signaled a 'NO'
 
Anna: I mean we have a service van. It's already on its way here.
 
Jack: Are you sure?
 
Solar: Yes. You can go ahead. Thank you very much for saving us. We'll return the favor one of these days.
 
Taeyong: No problem. We'll be heading out now. Goodbye.
 
Jack and Taeyong finally bid goodbye as they went inside their van.
 
Jack: I didn't expect Solar to be that tough.
 
Taeyong: Same here. But I think she's...kind of some sort.
 
Jack: Hey, how much did you spend from your credit card earlier?
 
Taeyong looked at the bill and his jaw dropped. "Oh well. I guess they're also eating a lot like me." he said.
 
Jack: Haha! I wish you success on your comeback.
 
Taeyong: Thanks, man.
 
Taeyong smiled upon discovering a sweet side of her behind the toughness she's showing.
 
When Taeyong and Jack already left, Solar hit Anna's shoulder lightly.
 
Solar: I can't believe I said those words to him. So embarrassing.
 
Anna: Haha you should learn to trust some people you know. Taeyong is a gentleman.
 
Solar: It's still better to be cautious with men than to be caught off guard.
 
Anna then contacted a taxi for them and went back to their hotel.