chapter I

The Task of Pandora
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
01 A LETTER FROM THE QUEEN  

Rain was splattering everywhere in the small Kingdom of Otrera, as unfortunate people without carriages hurried along on the street to avoid the droplets of water touching their clothes. It was Monday, the first day of the week just right after Sunday.

A girl who went by Lee Sumin, stood in a dark and small alley between two brick buildings, not minding the rain at all. She didn't wear any coats to provide any protections to her body, yet she couldn't care any more less. After all, she was used to this and her body was used to this. She only hoped she wouldn't get sick tomorrow, since she wouldn't know how she would cope up with her life if she was useless and weak.

Sumin's eyes roamed around the people with umbrellas to protect them, as they walked faster than any other day without rain. Sumin liked rain, because she knew most of them would be too distracted by the annoying rain to mind a simple girl like her.

And so, she made a move.

Sumin stepped out from the alley, searching for her target of the day. She needed to find a person who looked quite rich, but also ignorant enough not to notice her. As experienced as she was, she didn't want to take any risks.

Sumin's gaze landed on a middle-aged woman wearing a brown jacket with soft-looking black furs at the collars. Sumin's eyes glinted, like a hungry animal looking at its prey. She approached the woman who was furiously caressing her hair from the droplets of water with her hand, the other hand holding her umbrella. Hoping she wasn't conspicuous at all, Sumin raised her right hand, then flicked it upward. The wallet that had been in the woman's coat was lifted up and Sumin flicked her hand to herself, resulting the wallet to zoom right into her hand as she hastily put the wallet into her own pocket.

It was as easy as always. Sumin had to hold off from her smirk forming, as she walked away with the help of other people's bodies everywhere on the cobbled street.

This was why she liked rain.

Once she had found a dead end alley that was deserted and safe enough for her, she pulled the wallet and checked inside. Sumin's eyes were widened slightly when she saw how many sheets of money were inside. She guessed approximately around five-hundred drochmos.

Sumin smiled, imagining what would she do with all these money in her hands. She would definitely have to buy a few clothes, then she could say goodbye to her tomato soup. Tomato soup which was only a water then added by a sachet of ketchup sauce. Sumin wanted to puke even by imagining it.

When she noticed the rain was slowly disappearing, Sumin decided to head off to their home, preparing to show off what she got to him.

 

 

Sumin went into an abandoned and broken warehouse she declared as home, then sat down at her place. She grabbed several tissues out and dabbed her slightly damp face from the rain as she waited for him.

She should be changing clothes, but she was too lazy as well. Also she used her ability, which drained her even more. Not to mention she was also starving. She knew she had trained her ability enough for the past six years along with him, but it still used some energy from her. Though, she noticed how she felt like her body was getting used to this, which made her proud of herself.

The door was soon opened, jerking her from her thoughts. Sumin looked toward the door revealing her best friend for seven years, whom also looked very drenched from the rain.

"Luhan! I got 500! How much did you get?" Sumin greeted with an anticipated smile.

The said older boy merely grinned as he walked toward her then sat beside her, sighing right after. Luhan was wearing a black worn hoodie, using the hood over his head. He was a very beautiful boy, which Sumin noticed two years ago, when she was sixteen and he was nineteen.

"Only a few, I think around 50 drochmos," Luhan said with a sad smile.

Sumin's eyes widened slightly. "Why? What happened? It's even fewer than our normal price, which is 100."

Luhan's smile was replaced with a frown, then he slumped his back on the wall right behind them. "This person was sitting right beside me, sleeping by the way, and her bag was opened, so I slipped my hand in, thinking foolishly not to use my ability because I thought it was easy. As I just grabbed fifty, someone else saw and then shouted at me. Then I ran away."

"That's such a shame," Sumin said honestly.

Luhan nodded, and instead of replying back, he twirled his forefinger around. Sumin who felt some strands of her hair were raised and twirled around following his movement, immediately pounced on him.

In that moment, Sumin was on top of him, her knees on either side of his hip, about to punch him but he flicked his hand and she was pushed back in surprise. Sumin gasped painfully, having her back hit by the strong and hard ground.

No time to waste, Sumin stood up immediately, ignoring the pain from her back. Luhan was standing across her, a smug smirk decorated his good-looking face.

"Ability or not ability?" Sumin asked.

Luhan was silent for a moment, then he smirked again. "Not with ability."

The both of them charged at each other, Luhan aiming to give a strike right to her stomach, but Sumin was the quick one between them so she bent down and made a quick sweep to his feet, making him fall down to the ground. Luhan let out a painful groan, then she held her dagger right below his neck after she was on top of him.

"Game over, pretty boy," Sumin whispered right next to his ear.

Luhan's eyes twinkled mischievously. "Do you really love my face, Sumin?"

"Yes, but I'm not afraid to stab you with this dagger of mine."

"Remember to steal a dagger for me when you need another weapon."

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter