Lovestruck

Decembers Were Always Cold
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

The five of us walk to the car together with me leading them to where I was parked. Behind me, Chorong is being bothered by Bomi about God knows what, and the three girls are walking together just slightly behind them.

Hayoung carries mine and Bomi's bags as usual. The first time this tall kid offered to carry our bags, we refused, but the she insisted until we just let her do what she wanted. She insists that she's doing this because she's the youngest and because it shows her respect for me and Bomi. Despite her sharp tongue and extremely inappropriate jokes, she definitely lets us know that no matter how close we are, she will always show that she respects us, especially when we were at work. And I really do feel respected.

 

"Youngie, my keys please." I say to her. Showing her my palms as I make my way in front of the car.

 

She throws them and I catch them easily. "Chop-chop driver-"

 

I take back what I said about feeling respected.

 

"-or I'll dock your pay." She finishes with her eyebrows raised like she was a mafia boss and had a finger gun pointed at her head. The three youngsters laugh and start making jokes and bad puns about me being an uber driver.

 

Look at them make a complete 360 once we're outside the hospital. Respect my .

 

I get in and put the keys in the ignition. Naeun, who was already settled in behind me, hands me the pack of grapes she bought for me. I start the car and open the pack, popping grapes into my mouth as I wait for everyone to settle in.

Bomi opens the passenger seat with the smirk I hate on her face, ignoring the nervous glare I was giving her as she says, "Chorong, you take shotgun today since you're our special guest."

 

"Ah, no." Chorong refuses, waving her hand and smiling shyly at Bomi. "It's fine."

 

How can someone be so cute. Wow. Smile at me too please, thank you.

 

"Nah, you keep our driver company, okay?" she pats the seat and takes Chorong's suitcase. She hands it to Namjoo who loads it in the back with everyone's bags. "Naeunnieeee, I'm sitting beside you today!"

 

Naeun turns to the window- probably hiding her blushing face from everyone who might see, as Bomi recklessly sits beside her and uses her shoulder as a pillow. The girl always falls asleep when the car starts moving, and she always uses Naeun's shoulders as a pillow whenever they sit together.

 

"Everyone ready?" I ask as I look at the rearview mirror to see if everyone has settled in, and check my side mirrors, stealing glances as Chorong hops in the car.

 

"Yes!!" Namjoo and Hayoung answer.

 

"The house is a thirty minute drive from here," I say to Chorong as I start driving out of the parking lot in an attempt to start a conversation. "It takes an hour to drive from our house to here though, because of the traffic."

 

Great topic Jung Eunji. You're as boring as the rush hour traffic you're talking about.

 

"I see." Chorong answers flatly.

 

Of course she wouldn't be interested in talking about traffic, Jung Eunji, you stupid donkey. 

 

I steal a quick glance and see her looking outside the window, not really paying attention to me. , I'm not even trying yet, but I can feel myself striking out already.

 

Yup. You're such a , Eunji. How was Bomi chatting with her so casually a while ago?

 

The awkward silence makes me start to sweat a bit again. I fix my air conditioning vents in an attempt to cool myself down and shake of the awkward feeling.

 

'God, save me.' I plead silently.

 

He  immediately answers me by sending Namjoo. "The silence here is deafening! Play a song please!" she cuts through the awkward air.

 

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

 

I press the shuffle button of the car's music player and a song plays.

 

And the first few lines of the song are exactly what is happening right now.

 

Oh God, this song is a premonition of my future isn't it.

 

We spend the whole thirty minute drive with Namjoo and Hayoung singing to all the songs that played; Bomi sleeping on Naeun's shoulder with open, and the latter freezing in place like a popsicle; me and the subject of my affection, marinating in awkward silence.

 

 

We arrive thirty minutes later. As usual, Bomi gets off the car first to unlock our front door. It amazes me how she wakes up at just the right moment al

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter