For Now

Decembers Were Always Cold
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

"Dr. Jung. I called to let you know that Naeun's here with me." Taemin tells me after I pick up his call. "We're at the residents' quarters. I have her hooked up to a banana bag."

 

"Taemin, I swear to ing god if you touch her-" Bomi must have heard what he said, because she has taken my phone from me before I could even open my mouth. She starts telling Taemin off, and starts crossing the street, and walks towards the hospital.

 

"Should we follow her?" Chorong asks as she stands beside me, watching Bomi.

 

"Well, she does have my phone with her...." I reply. "But I don't think I'm up for any more drama. A drunk Naeun and an agitated Bomi? That's a bad combo."

 

"Let's stay away from them then. How about the coffee shop? It's on the opposite side of the residents' quarters, right?" she links her arms to mine, and gently tugs.

 

"I have a better idea." I say as we walk.

 

 

"No way." Chorong asks in surprise. "You have this room all to yourselves?"

 

"Yup! Just got the keys back two days ago." I tell her. "We had it renovated to our liking."

 

"How do you have a room for yourselves?" She continues asking, surprised at what I was saying and showing her. "Jeondae doesn't have anything close to this." she motions at the whole room.

 

She was right. No hospital has anything like what Dr. Seo has been setting up for Kinsei. Housing programs for interns and residents, yearly competitions like these, team programs; he started them all. He's probably the most brilliant man I've ever met, but I'm never telling his smug face that.

 

"You don't know how different it was before Dr. Seo was chief." I nod, watching her look around, she tries a few twists on the foosball table's rods. "This used to be an extra sleeping area, usually unused because it was far from the operating rooms."

 

She continues looking around as I talked, wrinkling her nose at the faint smell that suggested it was under construction a few days ago.

 

"Everyone fights for this room for privilege to 'own' it for a whole year." I continued. "Everyone forms teams of six, and for a whole week, everyone tries to get as much surgeries as they can. The team with the most number of successful surgeries wins the right to use the room. He's done a lot more changes like this, and it's raised everyone's health and morale significantly."

 

"But wouldn't a competition make everyone-"

 

"Crazy? Reckless?" I finish her question for her. She nods. "Dr. Seo has thought about that too. He knew everyone would fight and shark their way in the OR, so he made sure he had everyone reined. Our surgeries only get counted as 'successful' if we don't make a single mistake throughout the whole procedure, we get small notebooks we hang around our necks, to get stamps from the attendees."

 

"You even have a small bar?" she almost shouts excitedly as she explores the kitchen area. She runs to the beer tap and squeezes the hose at the sink, making foam fly as she does.

Of course she'd get excited because of the beer tap.

She squeals and laughs, and it kicks the exhaustion from today's events out of me.

 

"Just that beer tap, and a few bottles of wine." I laugh as I walk towards her. She has already grabbed two glasses and has started filling them up. "Oh, and vodka. Namjoo loves her vodka."

 

She smiles as she hands me my glass. There's a small little cloud of foam on her nose which she hasn't noticed. "Cute." I softly whisper to myself as I wipe it off with a finger without thinking.

 

She blushes as I do so, and I feel my face do the same. I clear my throat after a few seconds. "Snacks?"

 

"Yes please." she answers, moving to go grab a seat in the couch.

 

I grab a bag of chips and sit beside her. "So, what do you want to do while we wait for those two?" I gesture to the tv. "Watch a movie? Play on Hayoung's console?"

 

"A movie." she answers. "I don't want to risk deleting any of Hayoung's saves."

 

"Good point." I agreed. Grabbing the remote. "Horror? Chick flicks?"

 

"You choose." she says, opening the bag of chips.

 

"Horror it is then."

 

 

 

 

It's an hour and thirty minutes through the movie and the plot is on its . Chorong has her feet on the sofa and is facing me, trying to cover her eyes with her knees. Despite the lights being off, the tv was enough for me to see her expression. Her back is leaning on the couch's arm on her side, completely engrossed in the movie, and her feet have been- if she wasn't aware of it- snugly tucked under me. And I could definitely make do without her kicking when she's afraid, but even so, I find it unbelievably adorable.

 

"You're not going anywhere." an entity with a human body, hooves for feet, and huge horns grabs the main girl from the edge of the sofa she was sitting on. It makes Chorong scream, immediately shift away from the arm of the couch she was leaning on and huddled closer to me. I laugh as she does so, earning myself a slap on the shoulder.

 

We watch in complete silence as the entity kills fifteen out of the twenty-seven characters in the movie. It stalks them, and always, always grabs them when they least expect it, so by now, Chorong and I are aware that we may get jump scares anytime.

She watches with both of her hands ready to cover her eyes whenever a scary part is on. She peers through the small gaps she makes in her fingers which probably makes her feel braver and safer from the jump scares she knew was bound to come.

 

But I knew she wouldn't expect one from me.

 

The main girl is lying on her bed in the middle of the night, trying to sleep but to no avail. After a few minutes, she feels a force lightly weighing down on the corner of her bed. The screen shows the marks of an invisible mass slowly moving up the bed, and suddenly-

 

"RAAA!" I scream and grab Chorong- not too loud, but enough to scare with how quiet we were- trying to surprise her.

And it does, it makes her jump. The bag of chips falls on the floor, the contents spilling out and making a huge mess. It makes her scared enough that it makes her...-

 

-...cry.

 

 

"Chorong." I say, giving her a hug- trying to console her after I've paused the movie. "I'm sorry." I feel really guilty, but I still find myself giggling as I apo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter