Change

Decembers Were Always Cold
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The first thing Dr. Seo told us when we became interns was that change was inevitable.

It was a constant thing in the world.

You may not want it, but it's there.

 

Sudden or subtle

 

Big or small.

 

And the changes that happened in the span of two months were very small and subtle.

 

Eating breakfast, lunch, and dinner- sometimes with the gang, mostly with just her, everyday. With our interns busy with their final internship exams, we went out more with just Bomi and Naeun. Bomi teases me and calls it double dates behind Chorong's back, and absolutely loves the fact that I still turn red every time.

 

Spending my breaks in watching movies in the room that Hayoung dubbed as "Operating Room Zero", falling asleep in the same couch with the TV still on; playing Hayoung's games, and her accidentally erasing one, and hiding behind me as Hayoung went on a rage.

Staying awake, and helping me study for board exams... She's a real quick-learner. Sometimes it even seems like she was a resident just like me.

They way she focuses on my papers- as if she’s taking the test herself... it’s the cutest thing.

 

Sitting together became the norm, that even other people automatically save a seat for Chorong next to me. People have also started asking me if we were dating.

 

Subtle, small changes

 

 

 

 

"The three-month rule is stupid." Namjoo tells me as we drink shots. The week's schedule has only me and her on the same shifts, while the other three were on another. "You've waited for two-months to let her get over her ex. Not that she looks like she needs getting over him, you're literally all over each other already!"

 

"Hey, the three-month rule is a good rule." I reply. "It saves everyone from heartbreak, helps everyone avoid being a rebound."

 

"You're such an idiot when it comes to Chorong."

 

"And you're not when it's Hayoung we're talking about?" I counter.

 

It shuts her up for a few seconds.

"Mine's different."

 

"You mean rejecting an offer from Johns Hopkins for a spot at their residency program isn't stupid?"

 

"I'm good enough to get offered a spot again." Namjoo replies confidently, except she doesn't sound like that at all.

 

We look at each other as she says it. Both knowing that offers like this in our career are a once in a lifetime chance.

 

"Does she know?" I ask Namjoo as she groans.

 

"I've only told you and Naeun, so that means, only you, Naeun, and Bomi know." she lets herself laugh, before putting back a worried expression on her face. "Do you think I made the right decision?"

 

"Do you want me to comfort you, or do you want me to hit you with my honest opinion?" I hand her another shot, and we take it at the same time.

 

"Hit me." she answers. "What would you have done?"

 

"I would've turned them down too. Without even blinking." I tell her. "But we're not the same. My goal has always been to help build Kinsei into one of the world's best hospitals. To thank them for taking care of our family. And I can't do that by being in another program, so it's an easy decision for me."

 

Namjoo sighs as she continues to listen.

 

"You're different. You always said you wanted to be a well-known surgeon all over the world. You always told me how Johns Hopkins, Mayo, or Fortis were your goal. You're a shark. The both of you are. You even put your relationship on hold for your careers and I'm sure Hayoung will understand if you chose to go, so I guess you rejecting Johns Hopkins was an even bigger surprise for me."

 

"I know she would." Namjoo agrees. "I'm just afraid I'll lose her if I'm on the other side of the world..."

 

 "You should talk to her about it."

 

"Right. Hopefully next week, after our shifts sync up again."

 

Chorong arrives two shots later. She's smiles and waves at us, immediately walking over and sitting beside me. She slips a hand in mine naturally, and takes the shot Namjoo offers with the other. I feel heat in my face not caused by the alcohol, and Namjoo just silently eyes me, smirking, making it worse.

 

"Where have you been?" Namjoo asks Chorong.

 

"Writing. Why?"

 

"Nothing. A certain someone was missing you today." she says, sipping on a glass of water. I know she can sense how much I want to strangle her.

 

Chorong doesn't bat an eye when she immediately turns to me. "I've only been gone for a few hours."

 

"I-.." I stutter.

 

And she laughs, giving me that toothy grin. "I'm kidding." she pulls on my chin and stands up. "I'm going to the bathroom. I'll get the next round."

 

Namjoo laughs after Chorong takes a left and disappears from our sight. "Please don't tell me you still think she's not into you after that. That was outright flirting."

 

"I-.."

 

"You know I'm right."

 

"Just drink." I tell her, forcefully placing a shot glass in front of her, and she laughs.

 

"I'm not saying your three-month rule thing is wrong, I'm just saying it isn't necessary for this one. You're already two-months in anyway, you don't need a couple more weeks. And it's not just me who thinks this. We all do."

 

I catch Chorong as she emerges from where she made a turn, and walk to the bar. She leans on the counter and orders, lifting two fingers at the bartender. He nods. She turns around while waiting, and looks back at our table. She smiles when she catches me looking at her. 

 

"Alright." I tell Namjoo as I smile back at Chorong. "You guys are right. I'm going for it."

 

 

 

 

It's the morning after, and Namjoo's prayers have been answered. Her and Hayoung's shifts for the week have synced up and got the night, while Bomi, Naeun and I had the morning shift.

 

"This is the perfect time for us to have double dates." Bomi tells me as she pulls on a clamp. We were assisting on another surgery for Dr. Park, and of course she chooses this time to talk about my lacking love life.

 

I hiss at her as Dr. Park replies, the curiosity in his voice evident. "I was going to congratulate you for finally dating Ms. Park," he smirks. "but the hissing is telling me... that's not the case?"

 

Bomi laughs while nodding.

 

"Not yet." I correct them, not taking my eyes off of the surgical area even when I see them pause to look at me.

 

"So, the crush Dr. Yoon said you had was Ms. Park?"

 

"It is." Bomi answers him for me.

 

"Ha!" Dr. Park exclaims. He looks up the viewing room. "You heard her. Pay up!"

 

I look up to where he was looking, and see other attendings groan in response. "You were betting?" I asked him with disbelief.

 

"We were betting on who Dr. Son and your love interests were." Dr. Park replied, continuing to work flawlessly. "I said Naeun definitely liked you but you liked Ms. Park. Clearly, I lost the bet on Dr. Son." He side-eyes Bomi before continuing. "Who knew such a pretty girl like her had such bad taste."

 

I laugh, and Bomi laughs too. It takes her a few seconds before realizing what Dr. Park meant, "Wait.. Hey!" my best friend pouts.

 

"Exactly." Dr. Park says, as the two of us, and the rest of the room at this point, laugh a little louder.

 

 

The surgery takes six hours- just in time for lunch.

After scrubbing out, Bomi and I head to OR Zero and catch Naeun and Chorong snoozing on the couch and one of the bean bag chairs we had recently bought.

 

"Hey." Bomi gently nudges Naeun awake, kissing her on the cheek when she opens her eyes. "I guess the ER was quiet today, huh?"

 

"Very." Naeun smiles at her, stretching arms as she answers. She checks her pager first- a habit developed by everyone, and wraps herself around Bomi, and pulls her into the couch on top of her.

 

Their giggling and laughing wakes up Chorong who complains as soon as she does. "Ugh."

 

"Disgusting, right?" I replied.

 

"Hate us, but you know you want to be us." Bomi sticks her tongue out, still hugging a giggling Naeun in her arms.

 

"So, what do you want to eat for lunch?" I ask Chorong, ignoring Bomi's other comments.

 

"I'm up for anything." she smiles, pulling the huge surgery book that was resting on her stomach, off of her.

 

"Oh, you were reading that?" I asked her, only noticing the book just now.

 

"She was helping me study," Naeun answers. "before we succumbed to the cold room and fell asleep."

 

"You did well." Chorong smiles at Naeun. She moves to make space for me, and I plop down beside her without a second thought.

 

Bomi looks through her phone for delivery services. The four of us unanimously agree on pizza, and spend lunch together. In the middle of the meal, however, I get paged, and leave the three of them to finish the rest

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter