Exactly What I Need

Decembers Were Always Cold
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

The five of us were walking in the streets of Japan, trying to find nearby ramen restaurant Naeun found when she was walking around hours ago. She and Bomi were still not talking to each other, and were noticeably restless. They were walking with me in their middle, while Hayoung and Namjoo walked behind us. Unable to withstand the urge to make things awkward, Namjoo decided to point out the elephant in the room, or in this case, the street.

 

"You two are awfully quiet..." Namjoo eyes Bomi and Naeun in suspicion. "Did something happen?"

 

Bomi unconciously rubs her nape, and Namjoo only gets silence from the two.

 

"Well, at least they aren't shouting at each other anymore." Hayoung comments, "You two have been too much lately, my ears started to bleed."

 

No one answers again, and I chuckle softly, trying to keep the urge from joining in.

 

"What happened? Something bad actually happened huh?" Namjoo pesters them. "Come on, tell us. Did you guys accidentally break a lamp or something?"

 

"Did you accidentally push a grandma down the stairs while shoving each other?" Hayoung follows.

 

Namjoo gasps. "You accidentally killed someone, didn't you?"

 

They laugh. They're clearly having fun now, and the two girls beside me are starting to show signs of annoyance, but they still don't let the two hear a squeak.

 

"Nah, it's probably worse than that." Hayoung suggests.

 

"What's worse than pushing a grandma off a staircase?" Namjoo asks.

 

"You know, something that could make them this awkward around each other.... Maybe they made out or something." Hayoung snorts out loud like it's the most ridiculous thing in the world, and I silently choke trying to suppress my laughter. Hayoung is unaware of how good she is at predicting and guessing stuff. ..Or maybe she is.

Bomi secretly nudges me with her elbow and glares.

 

"Oh my god, that is worse." Namjoo joins in Hayoung's laughter. "Like that drama we were watching. The two friends who kept on fighting over small things, and it turns out they were just jealous."

 

Hayoung fake gags. "That's so cheesy!"

 

"Ugh. Shut up!" Bomi and Naeun explode at the same time and look at Hayoung, lifting a clenched fist each.

 

"Awfully quiet..." Hayoung comments with both of her hands raised in surrender. "....and awfully in sync."

 

Bomi and Naeun's gaze meet, and the quickly look away, blushing. Naeun pulls on me to start walking again, while the other awkwardly walks just a step behind. I glance back at our to little psychics and catch them looking at each other, the corner of their lips curled up in a smirk. They catch up to us with mischievous grins on their faces, and I'm sure they've caught on.

 

If they're planning something, I'm honestly hoping they would let me in on it.

 

 

 

 

 

They say the devil works hard and I'm pretty sure Hayoung is the devil. Not only does she work hard, she works really fast too. A few minutes ago, we had just gotten a table perfect for six people, in a quieter corner of the ramen restaurant. I don't know how she got the three of us excused from the table right after we just ordered, but now, after buying something at a nearby store, I'm outside standing with the both of them- being grilled by the two youngest while we give the two a chance to talk.

 

"You know it's not really my story to tell." I remind them, refusing to budge.

 

"Ah, you're such a killjoy." Hayoung complains. "We basically got it already. We just need the deets!"

 

"Deets! The deets!" Namjoo repeats.

 

"Do they like each other or not?" Hayoung grabs my collar and shakes me.

 

"Nuh-uh." I shake my head, ignoring their frustrated cries. "Ain't gonna tell." After a minute of continuous begging, they finally give up.

 

Hayoung peeks through the restaurants window trying to look for our table. "You think they're going to talk?"

 

"Nah. I bet they're not talking." Namjoo says. "Bet you they're just silently sitting their, avoiding to even look at each other."

 

"I'll take that bet." I say. "Loser buys beer at our next 'party'."

 

"Wha- That'd be expensive!" Hayoung complains.

 

"Which is an advantage for you two because you can each pay for half." I reply. After thinking, we shake hands on it and give them five more minutes before going back.

 

Of course, Namjoo and Hayoung won. Everyone knew Bomi and Naeun aren't the type to talk at a situation like this. They need a more private moment. Which they will get later after dinner since they are roommates. So I wasn't worried at all. I honestly just wanted an excuse to drink.

Our orders arrive and the amount of food we've ordered takes a toll on their staff, as they try to fit everything in one table. I've caught a waiter eyeing us too, the smile on his face clearly amused that five women have ordered a meal enough for seven construction workers. When everything was settled and the pictures for everyone's instagram taken, the five of us start eating.

 

It's amusing that everyone successfully avoids talking everything that happened today and just went on chatting like it was a typical day for us. Except for the fact that Bomi and Naeun are still avoiding even looking at each other, it really seemed like today wasn't a roller coaster of emotions. It's one of the good, but also slightly destructive traits of a surgeon- we're good at pushing our emotions down for another day. What usually happens after that is a breakdown, and it can be pretty nasty- especially for Bomi. My last one was when mom died, while Bomi's was during med school; we just thank god we were there for each other.

 

"I just realized we're basically walking time bombs at this point." I say out of the blue, but she laughs and nods, making me know that she got what I meant.

 

"Hey..." Hayoung starts again.

 

"What? Are you going to pester us with that again?" Naeun already glares at her, not even letting her finish.

 

"Jeez, why so aggressive." Hayoung comments, "I was going to ask you to pass me some wasabi but if you want to talk about that, then okay." she smirks. Her comment making Naeun blush again.

 

"Ah, just chill out, Naeun." Namjoo shoves a slice of sashimi in and passes Hayoung some wasabi.

 

"Now, you two are awfully in sync." I comment at Namjoo and Hayoung. "Are you sure you're not dating?"

 

"We're not...."

"Not yet..."

 

They say at the same time, causing them to look at each other.

 

 

"Not yet, huh?" Bomi repeats with a smug look on her face, taking the chance to take her revenge.

 

The two grin at each other and turn to Bomi.

 

"I mean, I definitely like Hayoung that way, and she knows that." Namjoo states as a matter-of-factly.

 

"And Namjoo knows that I like her that way too." Hayoung agrees.

 

At this point, the rest of us were already wide-eyed at how easily they're talking about this in front of us.

 

"Wait... What the ?" Bomi exclaims. "Is this a prank? I am beating the both of you up!" she threatens them. Naeun and I join in too.

 

"What... No, we talked about it before." Hayoung explains. "But we decided not to date yet, and put our careers first."

 

"Yeah. Maybe after second year. When Kinsei decides which of us gets in the running as chief resident. Right, Youngie?"

 

"Right." They nod at each other. "We're contented at what we have anyway, and at least we won't be using the girlfriend card at each other when we fight over being chief resident."

 

"That's unexpectedly so......" Naeun says.

 

"... mature." I finish her sentence. The three of us were completely caught off guard.

 

"Nah, yo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter