Chicken and Beer

Decembers Were Always Cold
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

I'm laying right side when I start to wake up to a familiar scent.

It's not a flower, it's definitely fruity, I'm sure.

Fruity, and relaxing; gently stirring me up from sleep. I inhale again and sigh, still keeping my eyes closed, and bury my face in the pillow I was hugging, tracking that it was where the smell was coming from. It's weird that my pillow feels a lot harder then it was, and a lot bigger too. But it's comforting anyway and I pull it nearer, planning to hug it a little tighter and fall asleep again. The pillow stirs, and tightens its hug on me too, which I just realized when it moved. My body feels so heavy and after thinking hard and making sure that work would start later this afternoon; I feel consciousness starting to slip away again, succumbing to the comfort of my bed, the weight of my comforter, the relaxing scent, and my trustworthy pillow.

I've probably dozed of for a few minutes, settling in the lightest stage of NREM, where one is easily awakened. I'm sure because when I feel my pillow move its head across my arm, snuggle closer to my chest, and hug me just a little bit tighter, my consciousness came back instantly. My pillow sighs and I breathe in with panic. The scent, the headache and the realization that I was here, literally cuddling with Chorong, hits me like a punch in the face. I open my eyes so quick that they haven't been able to adjust when I do, and I look down and wait as my blurry eyes focus on pink hair.

 

Didn't something similar to this just happen yesterday?

 

The pain in my head is too much that I couldn't think properly, so I just decided to tackle everything one at a time. I remove the hand that was hugging her, slowly. My other arm is pinned down so I pull my leg back up, deciding to lay on my back first before attempting anything else. I realize that there was weight over my legs too and curse at myself for still feeling numb. The room gradually starts to spin again and I'm sure I still haven't recovered from getting really drunk last night. 

 

Oh God, last night. What happened last night? At least no one's . Crisis averted.

 

I stop moving and think hard, ignoring how it was adding more to my hangover headache.

 

 

Last night... Last night, we were hanging out at the park after she took a call. We had just discovered the biggest thing we had in common, our love for beer and its perfect partner, chicken. We were deciding on whether or not we should get it for dinner when Naeun, who always had great timing, called; asking us if we were going to eat dinner at home. I put her on loudspeaker so Chorong could hear her. We laughed when she explained that Bomi went out earlier and came home with a bunch of different packs of flavored chicken.

 

"We already had food! The fridge was stocked!" I hear her shout at Bomi who had said something in the background. "We have nowhere to store these in!"

 

"But the saleslady said these were super good." Bomi argued. "I wanted to try them. Let's just cook them all tonight, okay?"

 

"Please, please be home for dinner." Naeun says to us. "We have to cook all of these tonight."

 

"Sure. We were actually just talking about having chicken and beer. It's perfect." I replied.

 

"See! I told you so!" Bomi exclaimed, probably hearing what I said.

 

"I am this close to slapping you with a pan." she threatens Bomi who laughs nervously.

 

"You're actually holding the pan to her face right now, aren't you?" I ask.

 

"Yes. Please bring a lot of beer. I might want to drown myself into a coma after this." 

 

Chorong and I laugh again. "All right, do you guys want anything else?"

 

"No, we're good." She replies after asking everyone. "Bye. Drive safely okay?"

 

"As long as you promise not to kill Bomi." I as we end the call.

 

The two of us buy two boxes of beer, ice, and a few other things we needed from the store. We head home immediately and arrive just in time to see Naeun fry the last batch of chicken. The table is already laid out and ready, and Bomi is already munching on a chicken leg, getting hit in the head lightly by Naeun who places the last batch on the table. I place down the boxes and hand a few over to Hayoung, who places them in the middle of the table while Chorong and Namjoo bring the other stuff in. Everyone was then reminded by Chorong to wash their hands. It's funny how a house full of doctors sometimes forgets that.

 

Naeun grabs a pack of tissue and places it beside her plate. "Let's eat!"

 

Everyone grabs what they want and start eating. Hayoung and Namjoo, who have notably made up, grab the cans of beer while the other puts ice in glasses, and passes them around. We then spend the night chatting and drinking away. Bomi starts her drinking games which everyone happily participates in, and before we know it, each of us has had four cans of beer each, and had moved to the living room.

 

"I dare you to slap Naeun!" Bomi tells Hayoung who was the first victim of Bomi's Truth of Dare.

 

"We're too old for this high school , Bomi." I say, and touch my face, noticing the numbing on my chin.

 

"I'd rather drink, thank you. I don't want to die!" Hayoung drinks half a glass and spins the bottle again. This time, it points to Chorong. "Truth or dare?"

 

"..... Truth?" she answers unsurely.

 

"What do you think of Eunji?" Hayoung immediately asks, and all I can do is face palm in my mind.

 

"Eh, that's so boring." says Bomi. She's already drunk, babbling everything she was saying. And I know that at this state of hers, she won't remember anything, and probably doesn't know she's saving me. "Ask something like how many people she's dated."

 

"Fine," Hayoung pouts and smirks at me. This is why I hate a tipsy Hayoung. "Answer it or do a dare and a drink instead."

 

"Two." she answers simply.

 

"Two huh, you dating someone right now?" Hayoung pokes at the topic again, and I chug my beer, sneaking a glance at Chorong, pretending that I wasn't paying too much attention to the question.

 

"You only get one question, Hayoung. It's my turn." she laughs and spins the bottle, dodging it perfectly.

 

"Drat." Hayoung snaps her fingers and takes a swig from her can. The bottle points at Naeun who has her head on Bomi's shoulders but still awake.

 

"Truth." Naeun answers immediately. "I don't want to move for a dare, my whole world is spinning."

I laugh inwardly. Naeun always says that line. It's a sign that she's around a half-glass away from also not remembering things.

 

"Truth...." Chorong thinks. "Ummmm.... Who do you like? Do you like someone?" she asks in an unsure way. She probably couldn't think of anything else and went for the usual question instead.

 

"Eh, that's lame." I tell Chorong. "That's s-"

"I do." Naeun cuts me off with her answer. I freeze and quickly look at everyone else. The thing about Naeun and alcohol is that it makes her the complete opposite of her usual self. She's braver and talks more than usual, without her filter; and her temper shortens. Thank goodness Hayoung is completely engrossed at pulling a drunk Namjoo up to help her to a bathroom, but Chorong is awake and paying attention. I sigh knowing that I wo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter