Who are you??

Decembers Were Always Cold
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

That week, I was able to pull Naeun aside to chat on the porch. I told her what she did while she was drunk. How she and Bomi were fighting and making up in a loop the whole night, how they both got drunk to their blackout points, how she confessed her feelings to Bomi, how Chorong heard and remembers everything clearly. It was a crazy drunken night for Naeun if you really think about it.

 

"I knew there was a reason why I didn't feel good about that night." she says after hearing about everything she did. "At least it's only Chorong."

 

"Yeah. I'm sure your secret's safe with her." I replied. "At least you have someone else to go to if I'm not available."

 

She laughs and punches my arm lightly. "Why would I go to you??"

 

"Oh I don't know, when you cry because of something or someone probably...."

 

"I don't cry that easily." she pouts. We stay silent for a while when she speaks up again. "Do you think we're related? Are we twins?"

 

"What?" I ask, laughing at what she said. "That's so random."

 

"I was just thinking. We have the same exact situation again." she points out. "The both of us confessed that night, and our significant others don't remember anything."

 

"Maybe we are twins, or sisters from another life." I agreed. "It's frustrating isn't it? Makes me want to drink."

 

"You're an turning into an alcoholic, Dr. Jung." she laughs and immediately escapes inside the house, rejecting my implied offer. "I'm staying away from alcohol for a while. Drink your sad heart by yourself."

 

"I was just kidding, Naeun. How can you be like this to your sister??" I shouted as I followed her inside. "Sad heart? You're one to talk!"

 

 

 

 

After that, two months went by in a blur. Mostly because Bomi's video, the one where she was telling our wall clock that she wasn't drunk, went viral due to Namjoo. Dr. Seo found out about it two days after it was everywhere on the internet, and had the two of us called into his office. We were scolded about the respectable 'image'  surgeons at Kinsei had to uphold, until our ears bled. Because we were the girls' seniors, only the two of us were punished. We were given double the patients and our juniors were not allowed to help us other than doing grunt work. We were barred from surgeries and even the viewing room for a month.

 

Since we weren't doing anything else, we decided to use the whole month of punishment to pour ourselves into our paper. The girls helped as much as they can, and were extra careful whenever they were around us. It was because of their guilt for sure, and although the punishment wasn't really a big deal for us and we never blamed them, Bomi and I made sure we wringed everything we could from their guilt. We were able to publish our papers in time for the Resident Research Awards happening in Japan on June.

 

Now, two weeks after being barred from surgeries, we've finished proofreading everything and were now at the postoffice to send our paper to the RRA. Bomi and I stood there for a while and took a deep breath. We kiss the envelope and jokingly chant gibberish for good luck before dropping it in the mailbox. Bomi pats the mailbox and hugs it, earning a few looks from the people passing by.

 

"Okay, that's enough." I try to pry her off the mailbox. "You're embarrassing me."

 

"But it has our research! I have to give it good karma!" she grips on the edge of the mailbox.

 

She does have a point. If it depended on how much good karma we gave out in the world, then I would probably be doing this too. After all, an invitation from RRA would mean we were nominated as one of the best researches for this year. If we win, we would be given a grant for our future researches. It would be a huge honor for Kinsei, and a good entry in our professional portfolios. But for now, all we can do is wait and hope that our hardwork pays off.

 

"Bomi stop!" I shout at her quietly to avoid getting anymore attention than we already have, and pleaded to the person who accompanied us to the post office. "Rong, help me? Please?"

 

Chorong laughs and tickles Bomi until the finally lets go. "Come on, Bomi. Don't worry about it. The RRA will get your research, okay?"

 

"If they don't, I'm blaming the both of you!" Bomi pouts, and crosses her arms.

 

"Hey, it's my research too, ugly." I say. "Where do-"

 

Bomi's phone rings from her pocket, interrupting what I was going to say. She pulls it out immediately and reads the text she received. After a few seconds, she hammers away at her screen as we walked to where my car was parked.

 

"I'm ditching you guys." Bomi announces after a few seconds and doesn't even bother to listen to our replies. She walks in another direction and waves goodbye. "I have a date! See you!" she shouts before disappearing in another street.

 

"She's still dating Nana, huh?" Chorong says to me as we watch the dork walk away. She locks our arms together and pulls for us to start walking again. "Come on, I'm hungry."

 

"Nana what?" I was confused. "Who's Nana?"

 

"Oh.... umm... that Im Jinah girl." she explains. "I heard Bomi call her Nana once so I assumed that was her nickname."

 

"Ohhh. I haven't heard that yet. She's a 3rd year resident at Jeondae, right?"

 

"Yeah, I think? Just a year higher than Naeun... Speaking of Naeun... How is she?"

 

 

 

Naeun, is..... fine. At least that's what she's trying to be, but Chorong and I knew she hasn't been fine since last week.

Last week was when Bomi and I were finally back in the OR, our suspension lifted. The two of us were under Dr. Seo's service, assisting him on a bicuspid aortic valve repair.  Naeun was watching at the viewing room, watching and listening to us, studying and taking notes of the procedure. Chorong was, like she told me, at the cafe as usual, while the two brats were off in the pit.

We were finally cutting the bicuspid valve; a very delicate procedure, and Dr. Seo let's me do it. It's the valve of the heart, and if you want a procedure done carefully, this is one of the things you don't screw up. The flaps have to be exact, and when cutting and remodeling a tissue, it's never easy to repair when you've cut too much. Dr. Seo carefully monitors me while he and Bomi chat. I on the other hand, had been quiet, catching only a few words or phrases of what they were saying; giving all of my focus on the valve.

 

"Of course, not Dr. Seo..." Bomi says.

 

I snip some calcified edges off and check how the valves fit.

 

"But then again..." I catch Dr. Seo reply.

 

I cut away some of the overlapping tissue on one of the valves and check again.

 

"Yeah, I met her just recently..." I hear Bomi say as I cut a few more millimeters off one of the flaps of the valve.

 

"And, how was the....."

 

The valves fit perfectly; and now, the only thing to do is to cut the bicuspid valve in half. I show the valves to the both of them for a quick check. They nod and go back to their conversation. I ask the scrub nurse for a scalpel and secure a good, moderate pull on the clamp on the side to give me a good angle on the valve. I start to drag the scalpel through the tissue slowly, checking if I've cut enough.

 

"So, I asked her out." Bomi says.

 

"Really? You?" Dr. Seo asks, with a sense of surprise in his voice.

 

"Yeah. I'm dating Jinah now."

 

"You what?!" I exclaimed. My scalpel sliding up. "What?"

 

"Dr. Jung! Your patient!" Dr. Seo, reminds me.

 

"Oh ." was all I could say. Seeing my patient's open heart pouring out a small amount of blood. Bomi quickly suctions and I check if I had nicked anything. Luckily enough, my scalpel went up at just the right moment, making a perfect cut on the flap. It did however, nick a small portion of skin tissue, thus, the blood. "Holy , that was so lucky."

 

Dr. Seo glares at me. "Dr. Jung, am I still expected to remind you about basic things like this?"

 

"I'm sorry sir." I apologize to him profusely, and quickly look up to the viewing room to check on Naeun.... Who was no longer there. "." I mumble to myself as we begin restarting the patient's heart..

 

 

 

"She's doing a bit better, I think. It really helped that you were there when she found out about Bomi and Jinah."

 

"I was so surprised when she came in the cafe and pulled a chair beside me." Chorong continues as we hopped in the car. "And then when she started crying out of nowhere, I didn't know what to do."

 

"When I told her about you finding out about her feelings for Bomi, I also told her it was a good thing because at least she'd have someone else when I'm not available." I laugh sadly. I turn the car on and drive home. "I guess I was right."

 

"But I don't understand....." Chor

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter