Dr. Lee

Decembers Were Always Cold
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Now that it's almost lunch time, the park started filling up with more people. Lines were now longer, making it harder for everyone to experience the rides. It's a good thing Bomi and I were done with all the extremes we wanted to try before all the families, school kids, and other tourists came. After texting the rest of the group to meet for lunch, Bomi and I decided to walk around to look for a decent restaurant. Along the way of course, the two of us couldn't help but buy a few snacks here and there.

 

"The others replied," I report to Bomi after checking my messages. "Naeun says they're still in line for the carousell. The line's long and they're two rows away from the front." I open Namjoo's text. "Namjoo says Hayoung's still finishing a session in the paintball arena." My phone dings again and I laugh when I see Namjoo's follow up.

 

'She's crazy! She's shooting all the kids here without mercy. She even made one kid cry.'

Attached in Namjoo's text was s a photo of Hayoung carrying a kid, using him as a human shield as she shoots a paintball gun. The kid is screaming in horror, and Hayoung's mouth was also indicating that she was doing a war cry.

 

"Our big baby is scarring a kid for life." Bomi hardly breathes as the two of us laugh. "We're going to hell for laughing."

 

"No one would believe she's a doctor." I agreed. "And she wants to specialize in Pediatrics at that."

 

"The irony." Bomi groans.

 

A few minutes later, the four finally arrive. We have lunch and proceed to trying out the rest of the rides we wanted. Bump cars, a cute 3D cinema clip, that ride with the swings as seats and spins you around; a really small, baby version of a roller coaster we finally pressured Chorong and Naeun into trying; and Raging Rivers- the ride that ended with all of us soaking wet.

 

Shivering in the cold air as the sun was beginning to set, the six of us regretted riding it when the sun was already going down. Japan at this time was seriously cold, and runny noses will be in the immediate future if we don't dry ourselves quick. We head to the restrooms and to change into clothes.

Finishing before everyone else, I was drying my hair with a small towel when I hear Chorong call my name from inside her stall.

 

"Did you call me?" I asked just to make sure.

 

"Yeah," I hear her reply. "Are you done changing?"

 

"Yeah. Why?"

 

"I have a bit of a problem..." I hear hesitation in her voice. "I kind of forgot to.... umm..."

 

"Forgot what?"

 

She opens her door slightly so I can see her face. '....to bring a bra.' she mouths at me, so that no one else could hear, a blush forming on her face.

 

"That's probably fine, just squeeze it out or something so it dries faster." I laugh, "You're going to be uncomfortable for a while though."

 

"I'm fine with that but..." Her face gets even redder, she opens the door a little wider, looking down shyly; and I see her wearing a white shirt- her wet bra was completely visible because of the water.

 

I feel heat rush to my cheeks. I avert my eyes, feeling like I just saw something I shouldn't have seen, and pull the door to hide her from everyone else. "Ah, hold on. Let me grab my jacket." I say as I dig around our bag. Finally pulling it out, I hand it to Chorong who immediately puts it on.

She takes a sigh of relief when she comes out, and hugs my arm. "Thanks, you're a lifesaver as always."

 

Christ, did she really have to wear a black bra?

 

"No problem." I swallow, another blush forming on my cheeks as I try not to remember what I saw a few minutes ago. 

 

 

Maybe just staying as her friend is going to be really hard.

 

 

 

 

Entry No. 28

 

Changsub just realized I had feelings for Eunji. Of course he would. He's been beside me ever since the Lees adopted me. It was stupid to even try to hide anything from him. 

 

It was a week after coming home from Japan, and we were back to our usual schedules. Eunji and I were eating out after her shift. It was only the two of us because Bomi and Naeun still had shifts, and Namjoo and Hayoung were off-duty.

I was sitting with my back turned from the restaurant's window, enjoying a good plate of pasta. The restaurant had a quiet and pleasant aura, and there were only a few people- just the type of ambience I enjoy. It made it easier for us to talk and eat.

Eunji's face suddenly frowns for a split second while looking at something behind me. Before I could turn around and see what it was, I was surprised with two hands on my shoulder, and see Changsub, who was greeting me with a huge smile. He asks if he can join us for dinner and sits down beside me, not really waiting for an answer. Eunji's mood turns sour. Maybe she doesn't know how much of an open book she is, and doesn't realize that she looks like a cute puppy as she pouts at the presence of my brother- who she still thinks is my boyfriend. I had to help myself from reaching out and pinching her cheeks. When she looks up from her plate and our eyes meet, she gives me the best smile she could make and goes back to eating. Changsub tries to make conversation with her, and surprisingly, they kind of hit it off, even getting to the point where he was telling her how I was when we were younger.

 

 

 

 

"Eunji, right?" Changsub asks me. "From the RRAs last week in Japan?"

 

"Yeah." I force the best smile I had at him, not wanting to ruin the mood with my sulking.

 

"You guys had those 3D printed ligaments and valves right? That was brilliant."

 

"Thanks." I replied, "Not as good as Jeondae's Heart in a Box, though."

 

He shrugs and glances at Chorong as if it was no big deal, and irks me. But as he makes more small talk, he turns out to be a really nice and pleasant person that I had a small feeling of guilt lingering in my chest for hating him since day one. We talk about differences in our hospital's protocols, new medical articles, and then it somehow shifts to talking about Chorong when she was a kid.

 

"You know she was the biggest baby when she was a kid?" Changsub says, snickering at the thought. "She had this cute stuffed toy she'd bring everywhere."

 

Chorong groans at him. "Please shut up."

 

Changsub laughs, acting like he didn't hear her. I smile and nod as he continues, the thought of cute little Chorong bringing a toy everywhere was extremely cute for me. "She used to follow us everywhere, clutching that toy."

 

"And Minhyuk took it from me and threw it on a river." Chorong says bitterly, and I sense a history in how she says it.

 

"You know how he is..." Changsub looks at her apologetically.

 

My heart silently sinks a little bit as I ask. "You've been together since you were kids, huh?"

 

"Yeah, I mean we're- ow!" Changsub rubs his arm in pain. Chorong was cutting a piece of chicken from her plate and ended up elbowing him. Chorong laughs and says sorry, as Changsub continues. "Yeah, we've been together ever since we were toddlers."

 

"How was she like when she was a kid?" I ask. Although I kind of feel jealous of him for knowing Chorong back then, hearing about her when she was a kid was too tempting.

 

"Oh, she was hella clingy." Changsub looks at Chorong and teases her as the latter just rolls her eyes at him. "Even at school, she used to follow me around all the time if she wasn't with her friends. She was really talkativ

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter