Grapes

Decembers Were Always Cold
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

"Hey Eunji, you're the one with the best memory among us. Do you still remember how we got close and became housemates with these dimwits again?" Bomi asks as she takes a sip from her iced coffee.

 

"Ehey, you're the dimwit here, Ms. Yoon Bomi!" Naeun, Namjoo and Hayoung answer at the same time. Not even letting her breathe, they immediately state different examples of her idiotic actions.

 

I laugh and watch as the three gang up on her. It was a good thing that lunch time at the hospital's cafeteria meant there were a lot of people. The noise from everybody else was enough to drown out the noise the five of us were creating. I notice the neighboring tables laughing too, they probably already heard the conversation we were having, knowing Bomi's loud voice. I shake my head and continue laughing while I ate the grapes I bought from the cafeteria.

 

"LKWEJLKADJLKSJDLFKNAKLENACK!!" not being able to fight back, Bomi literally just shouts gibberish and laughs, earning laughter from the other three as well. She looks at me again and asks. "You remember right? I know that fat brain of yours does!"

 

I smirk at her. "Of course who do you think I am?"

 

 

"Jung and Yoon! Wake these interns with you right now!" Our chief of surgery, Dr. Seo shouts as he shoves cases of current patients in our hands. Not even looking at us as he runs off to wait for an incoming emergency.

 

"What the hell is happening?" Bomi asks, seeing the number of fellows and attendings rushing to the emergency bay.

 

"A building collapsed." I answered. "Busy day."

 

"Why didn't I hear about that?" Bomi asks, her face showing her confusion in the funniest way.

 

"I don't know." I answer as I laugh. I look at the crowd of nervous, confused interns and sigh. I randomly pick three cases, hand them randomly to three least dumb looking ones, and motion them to follow me.

 

"You should clean your ears and have them checked later!" I tease Bomi as we walk away, earning a glare at her.

 

Once we were far from the busy area of the hospital, I turned around and face the three interns I picked.

 

"If you still don't know me, my name is Dr. Jung. I'm a fourth year resident along with Dr. Yoon who was with us earlier." I say as I inspect each of them. Giving each a quick scan from head to toe to check their uniforms. "Now, introduce yourselves. Let's start from the righ- are you eating you little brat?!"

 

The girl immediately stuffs and swallows the last bite of the donut she was holding, and bows. "I'm sorry Dr. Jung, my name is Kim Namjoo! I apologize, I haven't eaten yet."

 

"I'm here to teach you how to become a doctor, not time management, Kim! No eating during rounds!" I lightly smack her head. "Next!"

 

"Good morning ma'am!" the tallest girl answers. "I am Oh Hayoung! Although I'm taller than you, I will treat you with utmost respect!" She looks at me uneasily, as if waiting for my reaction to her gamble for a joke.

 

I laugh and jump a bit as I lightly smack her in the head too. "You two better watch your mouth!"

 

The girl, Hayoung, relaxes. She grins a bit and bows. "Yes ma'am!"

 

 

 

 

 

"You were so lucky with those two!" Bomi interrupts my story. "I couldn't even get a good laugh from that day. I got Naeun as my resident again and she was a real killjoy, the three guy interns I had with me we totally distracted. They just stared at her the whole time. No one reacted to my jokes that day. And I'm sure they were really funny too! Hall of Fame quality!!"

 

"Hall of Fame my , you don't even remember how bad your jokes were!" Naeun says. "Why would I laugh at jokes that were nothing but really bad puns about tissue?"

 

The rest of us laugh as Bomi scratches her head. "Ah, those tissue puns... I agree they were not my best work."

 

"You know, now that I think about it," I say. "I should've figured out that Hayoung was a complete devil back then."

 

All four of us look at Hayoung as she shrugs, we were definitely thinking about all the the girl has made us go through for the past year. "Not my fault I'm a riot at parties and you guys are so easy to influence."

 

"Oh I remember now!" Namjoo changes the subject, shivering at what probably was a bad memory from one of those parties. "This was when a boy was brought in with that big piece of pillar crushing him right? We didn't even get to step inside the ward when they called us out to help."

 

"Oh yeah!" Hayoung agrees. "That boy was super lucky a table hit the pillar first. If it didn't, the whole thing would've crushed him. He was so lucky just a piece of the pillar fell on him."

 

"That day was crazy. I couldn't imagine how nervous you guys were, knowing that it was your first day as interns," I smile at them and pop a grape in my mouth. "The five of us were praised for giving the attendings flawless assists."

 

"You guys assisted. We interns just helped in lifting the block." Hayoung points out bitterly and we laugh.

 

"And wasn't that the day you also first saw your crush?" Bomi teases me, lifting her eyebrows up and down.

 

I feel warmth flood my face. Of course, Bomi would remember details like that. "Ah... Yeah. I did." I say. Using my hair to hide my face as the four of them tease me.

 

"You still don't know who she is though. We haven't seen her either." Hayoung states another sad and unecessary fact no one needed like always.

 

I roll my eyes at her and she laughs softly, feeling proud of herself. "I know. It's been a year since I first saw her. I think I've seen her a couple of times but I don't know. I'm only sure about the time when I saw her on a bus I missed when I fell asleep on the stop because you guys used the car and left me."

 

"Maybe she lives near us?" Namjoo says.

 

"I don't know... I haven't seen her since, and that was a few months ago. Maybe she just visited someone here?"

 

"That's a bummer but that's probably it. I mean, it's been a year. If I were you, I probably would've forgotten about her already and just developed a crush on Naeun instead." Bomi jokingly winks at Naeun.

 

"Oh stop it, you idiot!" I hear Naeun say as she laughs a bit. I look at her and catch her expression change for a split second as the three also laugh and proceed to joke about having a crush on her.

 

Naeun was the belle of the hospital, her visuals taking almost everyone's hearts at the hospital hostage. Whether they were smitten, had a huge crush, a slight crush or a girl crush on her, it was safe to say that everyone had a liking to Son Naeun. Her lockers would have letters and gifts from guys and girls alike. She had been asked out by almost everyone, but throughout the year she's been here, she has never dated anyone.

 

She turns to her head to the right and I only realize that I've been watching her when our eyes meet. She looks down and blushes. I've caught her like this a number of times before. Pretty soon, she realizes that I was aware that the only reason why she hasn't dated anyone yet was because the person in front of her, kidding about having a crush on her, hasn't asked her out yet. This dilemma of hers made

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter