002 We Met

Perish in your arms

 

002 We Met

Park Shinman stared at the picture in his hand. “Pyojin,” he muttered and cupped his face. “Please forgive me,” he whispered. He will never forgive himself. Even if it wasn’t really his fault but he still blame himself to what happen that particular night. The guilt he had will haunt him to his grave.

                                           

All of a sudden, the memories of them swiftly passed his mind. It feels like it was just yesterday he had known Kang Pyojin. He was a great man and a great friend. Obeyed to every order he received from his boss. Never did he complain on anything. A great father he was too. But, something caused him to turn his back on Lee ake and Shinman needed to know what.

 

Suddenly, a knock on the door snapped Shinman back to reality.

 

“You called for me, appa?” Park Raeyeon entered the room after knocking twice.

 

“We’re going to Hyejin’s birthday party. Wear something pretty,” it was more like an instruction rather than an invitation. Shinman had always being cold on Raeyeon. He wasn’t sure why himself. He just felt that he had too.

 

Raeyeon bowed and excused herself to her room.

 

[Park Raeyeon’s Point of View]

 

I twisted the door knob and saw appa staring at the photo like he always do whenever I caught him off guard. He’ll stare at the picture for hours and started talking to himself.

 

Appa once told me that he had killed a man. Kang Hyejin’s father, he said. Hyejin had known it before I do. She has been hating me ever since. But, I trust appa in his action. I knew what kind of man he is. He won’t kill his own bestfriend without reasons. He was not ‘that’ kind of man.

 

“You called for me, appa?”

 

“We’re going to Hyejin’s birthday party. Wear something pretty,”

 

As for Hyejin, I kind of understand how she felt. If I tried to empathy her, I might have hated myself too and perhaps I’ll come to understand why appa is treating me like this.

 

I nodded and excused myself to my room without any complains.

 

[End of Point of View]

 

Raeyeon decided to put on her orange sherbet knee-length satin dress. It was one of her best satin dress. She wanted to look nice for the party although she knew she’s an unwelcome guest.

 

Kim Sunggyu, her father’s assistant, knocked on the door before coming in. “Are you ready?” he asked with the sweet smile he always had whenever he looked at her. Although Sunggyu is just an employee in the house, but to Raeyeon, she was like an older brother, a shoulder to lean on.

 

“Yeah.. a couple of touch ups. I’ll be ready in 1 minute oppa,” she replied him with a smile again. Sunggyu nodded and made his way to his master’s room.

 

When Raeyeon finished her light make up, she hurried downstairs and saw her father stood by the front door, checking his watch over and over again, Sunggyu stood beside him with a huge present which she believes is Hyejin’s.

 

“Sorry I’m late,” she muttered and her father coughed.

 

“Let’s go.” He said. Not even wanted to compliment her daughter’s beauty and walked out the door. Sunggyu gave her a small smile and she understood that he was trying to make her feel better.

 

After thirty minutes of silence in the car, they finally arrived within Hyejin’s big mansion. The mansion was built near the Han River which makes the scenery more beautiful at night. It was huge alright. The lights glitters the house perfectly. It was like a castle to Raeyeon. She had to admit, although her father was rich, but Hyejin was richer. She’s the last generation of the Kang family and she really work hard to keep her name at the top.

 

Hyejin lived alone in Seoul. What Raeyeon heard from her father, Hyejin’s mother married a Japanese man and decided to stay in Japan rather than Seoul. Hyejin on the other hand, was keen to live in Seoul. Why? Raeyeon pretended not to notice anything. Unlike Hyejin, Raeyeon lost her mother when she was born. She died while giving birth to her. At least, that’s what she had in common with Hyejin. Losing a parent.

 

Raeyeon and Shinman entered the ball room. It was warm inside.  Under the huge chandelier, the marbles shined perfectly. This was the second time Raeyeon visited Hyejin’s mansion. The first time was when her father told Hyejin about her father’s death. The day when Hyejin yelled she hated her.

 

The butler took their coats and disappeared through the crowds. “Don’t make any commotion, Raeyeon. You know how I hate it,” Shinman warned her daughter and she nodded.

 

From far, Raeyeon saw Hyejin walked towards them with her assistant by her side. Lee Sungjong, if she was not mistaken. She had seen him a lot around Hyejin. It’s like he’ll never leave her side. Following behind both of them is the bodyguard named Kim Myungsoo. This guy, although he looks handsome enough to be the cover of a magazine, you don’t want to mess with him.

 

“Uncle Shinman,” Hyejin greeted Shinman with a hug. “Thanks for coming,” she smiled.

 

“My pleasure my darling. You look beautiful today,” he paused. “Here, I have your present,” he exclaimed and Kim Sunggyu handed Myungsoo the huge gift.

 

Both Hyejin and Raeyeon exchanged glances. Hyejin had a smirk on her face.

                                                             

“You didn’t have to,” Hyejin chuckled while making her innocent face again. “Please enjoy the party..”

 

Shinman was delighted to see Hyejin smiling. He feared she wouldn’t smile at all. He excused himself and strode towards the people he knew and greeted them.

 

Raeyeon took a last glimpse at her father before facing Hyejin.

 

“I see you’ve come..” Hyejin started.

 

“Happy Birthday Hyejin,” Raeyeon cut her. She didn’t want to pick a fight.

 

“My present?”

 

“I don’t know what to get you,” she answered shortly.

 

“Your life would be nice.”

 

“Bite me.”

 

“Oh I will. But not today. Some other time, perhaps,” Hyejin was about to walk away but she turned and look at Raeyeon with a grin. “Enjoy the party, Raeyeon ah~” and disappeared through the crowds.

 

Raeyeon sighed. With that, she rambled towards the bar and asked for a glass of water. She sat there gloomily. Everything went wrong today. Wait, not just today. It’s everyday. Her father’s cold attitude on her never changes. He adores Hyejin and only Hyejin alone. Hyejin too never did change with her feelings of hatred. Raeyeon sighed again. Perhaps she’ll grow old and die like this. Life is no fun.

 

[Kang Hyejin’s Point of View]

 

“Enjoy the party, Raeyeon ah~” I grinned and sauntered my way towards the crowd.

 

Park Raeyeon. I hated her. So as Park Shinman. Both of them are responsible for my father’s death and to think that I would forgive them. Hmph. Not a chance.

 

“How are things doing?” I asked softly to Sungjong beside me.

 

“Don’t worry. Everything’s under control,” Sungjong answered and I glanced to Myungsoo for more convincing words. Myungsoo noticed and nodded in agreement to what Sungjong had mentioned.

 

Kim Myungsoo was like a brother to me. He was the only one who looked after me after everyone disappeared, I trust him more than anyone else. Sungjong was Myungsoo’s friend. He’s younger but his IQ is no kidding. “Did you find him?” I asked with curiosity.

 

“Yeah. He was easy to persuade though. He’s here in this ballroom,” Sungjong explained while making an eye contact with the guy who stood beside the tall vase. Myungsoo did the same.

 

I caught a glimpse at him. He saw me and bowed. I smiled back.

 

Well, now that someone is going to kill Raeyen for me. I guess I could relax now.

 

Seeming to that, I can’t help but to have a wide smile on my face.

 

[End of Point of View]

 

“What’s with the long face?” Dongwoo asked as he placed the glass in front of Raeyeon.

 

“Nothing, really,” she smiled to him and took a sip of her water. She gawked around the ballroom. There are a few people she knew but she didn’t feel like talking to anyone. She’ll go all awkward and hypocrite at the same time of she did. She watched as the crowd in front of her smiling and having a good time while she, on the other hand, having the boredom of her life.

 

“You know, you’ll grow old if you keep sighing like that,” again, Dongwoo interrupted her thoughts.

 

“Thanks,” she said and lends him the empty glass and walk off.

 

Dongwoo snickered. ‘Park Raeyeon. As cold as ice,’ he told himself.

 

Raeyeon was looking around until Sunggyu appeared in front of him. “Miss Park, your father is looking for you,” he muttered. Raeyeon flinched by the sudden formalities. Sunggyu had always been like that, whenever they’re outside on a party or anywhere formal, he’ll call her Miss. She didn’t like it though. Makes her feel a little distance from him.

 

Raeyeon gave him a small smile and followed to where he led her. Sunggyu had brought her to the pool and there, she saw a couple of men and she knew one of them, it was Lee ake. The strongest Mafia around. What she knew, no one dared to mess around with him. One word and your throat is at stake.

 

“Ah~ Raeyeon ah~ come here,” Shinman called her. She did as she was told. She glimpsed at the tall guy stood beside Lee ake. She wondered who he was.

 

“This is my beautiful daughter, Park Raeyeon,” Shinman introduced her. She bowed. In her mind, she was hurt. ‘What’s with the sudden beautiful there?’ she thought.

 

“What a beautiful girl she has grown up to be,” Lee ake complimented her with his husky voice. Both Shinman and ake laughed like they were old buddies. “This is my son, Raeyeon. His name is Lee Sungyeol,” he said and shoved his son to face Raeyeon.

 

His son, who’s more than six feet tall, black hair and a baby-faced guy stood before her. Raeyeon had to stretch her neck to look at him. He was so tall. Sungyeol bowed and gave her a kiss on her hand. “Nice to meet you,” he winked.

 

She was too startled to respond. She blinked.

 

“Ask her for a dance Sungyeol,” his dad exclaimed and Sungyeol held out his hand for her to take. At first, she was hesitating but she placed her hand on his and they strolled back to the ballroom.

 

Inside, there are a lot of couples who were dancing along and they stop as they were in the middle of the dance floor. Sungyeol seemed to be professional at this. Without hesitation, he slid his hand on her waist, held her hand with the other and led her with the dance.

 

“Park Raeyeon,” he uttered. “As beautiful as the name,” he beamed, breaking the awkwardness between the two of them.

 

“Thank you,” is all she could reply. She went mute again.

 

“You don’t adore me do you?” he asked while leaning closer.

 

She looked away. “Do I have a reason to?”

 

Before Sungyeol could answer her, a guy tapped his shoulder and asked Raeyeon if he could have the next dance with Raeyeon.

 

Sungyeol exchanged looks with the guy in front of him. He couldn’t reject. Instead, he was happy that he didn’t have to pretend to be good to her. His dad can sometimes annoy him with all the blind dates he sets. But this girl here is the one that interest his father the most. Makes him wonder for some reason.

Sungyeol placed Raeyeon’s hand in the guy’s hand and vanished into the crowds.

 

The guy in front of her was charming. She had to say that his skin tone matched his black hair and tuxedo.

 

When they started to dance, she had the urge to ask him. “Have you been losing weight?” she blurted out.

 

He looked at her with disbelief. He chuckled. “Have we met before?”

 

She shook her head. She was confused herself. She stared at his face. Maybe that charming face had put a spell on her because she just can’t take her eyes on him.

 

He chuckled again. “Yes, I’ve been on a diet, if it helps to answer your question,” he muttered.

 

She laughed. “I’m Park Raeyeon,” she introduced herself.

 

“Nam Woohyun. You can call me Woohyun..”

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------