you're a nice guy after all

Past and Present

Nicole: yah you slow down would you? (She said as she quickly followed after key who went to the sports hall).

Key: gee girl why are you so slow?

Nicole: (sitting down on the bench) you shut up. Why were you walking so fast?

Key: I just want to get this thing over with. I mean we can tell each other just few bits and bobs and then we’re done. No need to go into detail.

Nicole: fine by me. So you go first.

Key: fine. What do you want to know?

Nicole: umm how about you tell me about your family?

Key: (looks a bit upset) okay.

Nicole: (looks worried) hey you okay? You don’t have to tell me about your family if you don’t want to. Tell me something else.

Key: no. so listen up. My dad died in a car crash along with my big sister Taeyeon when I was 10. So in my family it’s just me and mom right now. My mum never remarried because she’s afraid of what the society will say. She works day and night to feed both of us. But one day I will get rich and take her away from everything to a place where she’ll be able to do what she wants and she won’t have to worry about what others think.

Nicole: (almost chocking up) I’m sorry to hear that. I shouldn’t have asked you.

Key: its okay, your turn now.

Nicole: well umm first of all I am only child. I am half American and half Korean. I like to hang out with my best friend yoona during holidays and sometimes help out in the shop which my parents own. I used to have a pet dog but it died because it drowned in the lake after he jumped into it while we were walking in the park. I remember I cried for whole week. My parents did everything to make me happy but nothing worked. Yoona even brought me a puppy with the money she had saved even that didn’t help and she had to take it back. And since then I haven’t had a pet.

Key: okay so what do we do now?

Nicole: I don’t know. Can I ask you something?

Key: fine.

Nicole: promise you won’t get angry?

Key: alright.

Nicole: you said your mum works hard so why do you give her so much trouble?

Key: (getting worked up) what do you mean?

Nicole: I mean you get into trouble in school all the time and don’t you think your mum worries about you.

Key: of course I do.

Nicole: so why do you keep that attitude up? Cant you try and be nicer to people?

Key: look here I am the way I am because if I don’t become tough people will pick on you. I rather bully people than be bullied. I mean look at your friend yoona she gets bullied by people because she’s weak she can’t stand up for herself and I don’t want to be like that.

Nicole: (getting angry) she’s not weak. She’s the strongest person I know. Don’t you dare say that about her, she worth more than all of you combined together okay? And being a bully isn’t going to make you stronger, you’re not going to get anywhere in your life and even if you do you wont have people that truly care for you around because who wants to be associated with a bully.

Key: (he’s a bit taken aback by what she said) look I don’t want to argue okay? So can we just drop the subject and talk about something else?

Nicole: fine.

Key: first let’s go get something to eat.

Nicole: okay.

 

Yoona and Nichkhun are following Doojoon who seems to be heading towards the rooftop. Doojoon immediately starts to smoke which annoys yoona because she hates the smell of it.

 

Yoona: yah stop smoking.

Doojoon: don’t tell me what to do.

Yoona: you’ll die early if you keep smoking.

Doojoon: yeah well that’s what you would want right?

Yoona: shut up. I don’t wish death upon anybody.

Doojoon: what not even me after the way I behaved with you?

Yoona: nope.

Doojoon: god you think you’re a saint don’t you?

Nichkhun: you cut it out. Shall we just do what we came here to do and leave?

Doojoon: (turning his back on two of them) sooner the better.

Nichkhun: couldn’t agree more. So who wants to go first? Yoona would you mid if you go first?

Yoona: no problem. So what do you want to know?

Nichkhun: anything.

Yoona: what about you Doojoon?

Doojoon: don’t care.

Yoona: fine then. Well I live alone at the moment because my parents have gone to states. I don’t know when they’ll come back. My best friend is Nicole who I’ve known for years. In the future I want to be an actress or a doctor. I believe that everyone has a good heart (looks at Doojoon) even if they are somebody who only causes trouble.

Doojoon: (says is quietly) lame.

Yoona: so that’s it. Who’s next? Nichkhun oppa would you like to go next?

Nichkhun: sure. Well umm I am part Thai and part Korean. I spent most of my childhood in the states also in Thailand and then we moved to Korea and we’ve been here ever since. But I hope one day I can get married and move to Thailand with my bride. I have one sister and she’s called Victoria. She’s currently in Thailand though with her boyfriend.

Yoona: aww that’s nice. So I guess Doojoon it’s your turn. (They are interrupted with Nichkhun’s phone ringing. He goes to the side and is talking on it although the two can’t figure out what he’s saying. He looks worried and glances at yoona who gives a reassuring smile) oppa who was that?

Nichkhun: umm that was my dad he called from the hospital.

Yoona: oh my god. Is he okay? Is anybody hurt?

Nichkhun: no one’s hurt. He had to take mum to the hospital because she got sick again.

Doojoon: (he turns around) you should go.

Nichkhun: huh?

Doojoon: go to the hospital. Be with your family. Go take care of your mum.

Nichkhun: (looks at yoona) will you be okay if I go?

Yoona: sure I’ll be fine. Just go and text me to let me know if anything happens okay?

Nichkhun: okay but what about the talk after lunch?

Doojoon: I’ll take care of it and I’ll tell the teacher you had to go.

Nichkhun: (gives him a suspicious look) okay. (Leans closer to yoona) if he gives you any trouble just let me or yonghwa know okay? I’ll sort him out when I get back.

Yoona: (smiles at him) it’s okay. Now go on go.

Nichkhun: okay Doojoon don’t you dare try anything funny or you’ll regret it.

Doojoon: whatever dude. (Nichkhun leaves and Doojoon turns around to see yoona looking at him with a smile on her face) what’s wrong with you?

Yoona: nothing.

Doojoon: why are you smiling like a creep then?

Yoona: oh sorry. So how come you were just nice to Nichkhun then? I thought you hated him.

Doojoon: I wasn’t nice. I just told him what to do so I wasn’t being nice to him at all. Will you stop smiling its creeping me out.  

Yoona: admit it you’re not all bad as you make out to be.

Doojoon: (chuckles) just leave it okay.

Yoona: come on tell me. Please?

Doojoon: fine do you really want to know?

Yoona: yep. It could be something that I can tell the class.

Doojoon: okay I’ve never told anyone this before and only key knows. The reason I told him to go is because I don’t have a mum and he does. So I thought it’s only fair that he’s there to take care of her because who knows anything can happen. One minute she’s there saying she’s fine and the next thing you know she’s gone just like that. There know you know.

Yoona: (pats Doojoon on the back) see like I said every body has a good heart and today you proved it that you have one as well.

Doojoon: (smiles) just don’t go telling everyone that.

Yoona: (laughs) ohh I can’t make that promise. Anything else you want to tell me?

Doojoon: ever since I lost my mum at a young age I get angry all the time. The anger inside of me never dies down. It keeps growing and growing.

Yoona: and let me guess you fight with people to let that anger out.

Doojoon: (looks down) I guess.

Yoona: and does all the anger come out?

Doojoon: no. and sometimes I can’t stop being angry and cant stop fighting. I mean if key isn’t there to stop me when my anger went out of control I don’t think I would still be here. I’d probably be locked up in jail by now.

Yoona: key seems like a nice guy as well.

Doojoon: he is. He’s the only one who wasn’t afraid to be my friend you know. Every kid in my school would avoid me because of my anger problem but key wasn’t scared. And just like that we became friends and when I make friends I make sure that it’s my responsibilities to protect them. I don’t let anyone lay a finger on them or talk trash about them.

Yoona: Doojoon you’ve really surprised me today.

Doojoon: how so?

Yoona: I don’t know. Looking at you and listening to you makes me feel so bad that I judged you without knowing you properly and that despite people’s view of you, you’re really a nice guy and people shouldn’t be afraid of you.

Doojoon: (looks at her) what about you?

Yoona: (looks confused) what about me?

Doojoon: aren’t you afraid of me?

Yoona: I used to be scared of you a lot. Even thinking about being with you alone would scare the crap out of but after listening to you not so much. (Doojoon chuckles) why are you laughing?

Doojoon: you think about us alone together?

Yoona: (blushes) shut up.

Doojoon: (laughs) so tell me what do you imagine us doing when we’re alone?

Yoona: (laughs) I told you stop it.

Doojoon: (teases her) I bet you think about us doing the naughty things.

Yoona: (starts chasing him about laughing) in your dreams Doojoon. Come back here. Don’t run.

Doojoon: (runs away laughing) so are we totally in your imagination or is it just you?

Yoona: (blushing madly) you stupid boy I swear to god I am going to kill you