Chapter 16

Precious Love (SaiDa au)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Dahyun scanned the court with immense focus for the first time this game. She realized that the guys they were against were really big. The only guy that wasn't towering over them was a guy named Kyungsoo who was placed against Chaeyoung.

Dahyun notices that the boys weren't guarding them well. Okay these es don't think we can do this. "Hey you're not gonna guard me you panda-looking flirt?" The boy only smiles and yawns. Okay. Here's something to yawn at. Dahyun lets loose a three-pointer and stuns the opposing team. The whole gymnasium erupts in screams as finally the home team was scored after a drought of points. That's 1 kiss on the cheek unnie.

"Good to have you back Eagle." Chaeyoung hi-fived Dahyun and got into place to defend. She was assigned to a player a little taller than her but when she saw Sehun constantly looking at Mina, she left Kyungsoo to switch with Yeri.

"Oh hey look at you lil bundle of nothing. Think you can handle me?" Sehun was backing up into Chaeyoung trying to post up but was still glancing at Mina's way. Chaeyoung took this chance to steal the ball and pass it to Dahyun who sunk in a another three-pointer. "Nice steal smolbean." Jeongyeon ruffled the younger's hair earning a groan from her.

"Keep your eyes on the ball and not on my Mina." Chaeyoung could only smirk as they get ready to defend again against the boy with rainbow hair. "So that's her name. Thanks for the info shorty." Sehun backs up again hard on her but this time he shoves his shoulders up against Chaeyoung's face causing her to fall down. Mina stands up from her seat, clearly worried about the hard foul Chaeng received. 

*whistle* "OFFENSIVE FOUL 94,OH SEHUN"

Chaeyoung could only see red, and with an angry huff she lunged towards Sehun. "You stupid piece of sh-" Dahyun and Jeongyeon pulls the angry cub away before she gets a technical foul. "We got them to turnover the ball. It's fine. Show them by scoring not by getting ejected." Chaeyoung sighs and gives the boy a deadly glare. Mina is mine Rainbow boy.

Jeongyeon in-bounded the ball to Dahyun and the pointguard got ready to set up a play. Dahyun bounce passed the ball to Chaeyoung who tried to penetrate the paint and got an easy lay-up after a good screen from Yeri. Jeongyeon praised her team and got ready to defend. The team captain was beaming with confidence, her team was on a roll. "Okay defense! Mark your man! Let's go JYPU!"

"Damn you're noisy. This is why girls shouldn't be on the court." Jeongyeon was defending against Park Chanyeol, SM Tech's team captain. "You guys score a few points and you celebrate like you've won the who-." Jeongyeon swooped the ball mid-dribble and passed it to Dahyun who drilled in another three. 

"Sorry, you were too noisy. That shut you up yes?" Jeongyeon gave him a smirk and hi-fived with Dahyun and the rest of the team. JYPU was on an 11-0 run and the trio was just starting to heat up.

JYPU continued to dominate the third quarter. Dahyun kept shooting threes like it was shooting practice while Jeongyeon and Chaeyoung were making baskets by working in the paint. With 1:30 seconds left in the 3rd quarter, JYPU managed to catch up 43-52. The enemy team called time out and both teams got to take a well-deserved rest.

Dahyun was on fire both in a good and bad way. The team was relying on her to score and that she did but it was taking a toll on her body. As she took a seat on the bench, she could only feel the intense throbbing of her whole body. The pointguard was drenched in sweat and soon the familiar clenching of her chest was dawning on her. Jeongyeon could clearly see that Dahyun was not okay. She saw how Dahyun was heaving for air like the world was running out of it.

"Hey Dubu. Sit out the rest of the quarter. Do you have your meds with you?" Jeongyeon said as she handed Dahyun a glass of Gatorade and st down beside her. 

"I can't sit out Jeong. We're still down by a lot and Chaeyoung's getting into foul trouble because of that dude with rainbow hair." Jeongyeon could only sigh and hang her head. It was true, JYPU would've been in the lead by now if weren't for Chaeyoung's offensive fouls. The Tiger kept trying to go 1 on 1 with Sehun because both were trying to get Mina's attention.

"Aish I'm gonna kill that jealous cub. Are you sure you're good to play for the rest of the game?" Dahyun could only nod because she felt like pins and needles were being poked into her chest every time she tried to inhale (but Jeongyeon didn't need to know that). Jeongyeon helped her stand up and they both got back into the court.

Dahyun's leg was going numb but she still assumed her defensive position. Everything was becoming blurry but she needed to focus because finally after sitting down the whole game, Kris Wu was finally on the court and boy did he make Dahyun feel little. I guess this must be how Chaeng feels on a regular basis.

Jeongyeon orders Dahyun to switch with her so that the height mismatch could be alleviated by just a little. Kris makes his move and drives straight into the paint. Nobody on JYPU could block his shot since they were all too short for him. The third quarter ends  46-62 with all of SM Tech's points coming from Kris. Jeongyeon noticed that the gym has fallen into a defeated atmosphere. Even her teammates were convinced that they had lost after a demoralizing encounter from Kris. I can't give up now. We all can't give up now.

Jeongyeon turns around and sees Nayeon still cheering for her together with all of their friends. It warmed up her heart and gave her the fighting spirit to continue. Truly when everything seemed bleak, she could count on Nayeon to give her strength to face anything in this world. Jeongyeon feels the determination swirl through her body. "Jeongyeonie Hwaiting!" Nayeon screamed at the top of her lungs and shot a flying kiss towards the team captain. Like a switch, Jeongyeon was fired up. Ready to dominate because she knew she had something that nobody else did and that was Nayeon's love. Alright let's get ready to kick some .

"Okay we still got one last quarter to win this whole thing. Chaeyoung you screen for me and I'll try to score. They're all gonna be piling up on Dahyun so everyone let's all try to help Eagle and score some baskets. JYPU jjang on three, 1,2,3..."

"JYPU JJANG!" 

Dahyun dribbles the ball down the court and like Jeongyeon called it, she was faced with a double team right from the start. She started to get into her groove and split the defenders with a crossover but she was met with another guy so Dahyun immediately looked for an open person and saw Chaeyoung cutting to the rim. The pointguard did a no-look pass and timed it perfectly for Chaeyoung to complete a lay-up. The duo hi-fived on the way to defend but Chaeyoung could see the fatigue in Dahyun's eyes. Dubu's not gonna last any longer If she keeps making the plays. We gotta help her out.

The ball was being brought down by Chanyeol and was calling out for a play. Chayoung knew that they were going to pass to Kris and soon enough, SM Tech made the pass and Chaeyoung was able to intercept it. "Hyung run!" The cub  threw the ball cross court and Jeongyeon was able to sink in a three-pointer. 

JYPU was able to get on another run under Jeongyeon's shotcalling, Chaeyoung's agility and instict and Dahyun's shooting. Jeongyeon's plan was simple; keep the ball from getting to Kris Wu and they'd be able to survive so the team made extra effort to make sure that SM Tech's star player wouldn't be able to receive the ball. They double teamed the tall player and defended against him mercilessly causing SM Tech to miss their shots and cause numerous turnovers. The score was now 71-76 with 1 minute left on the clock.

Dahyun was breathing erratically now. There was a constant ringing in her ear and her whole body was starting to go numb. The mere fact that they were only 5 points down was keeping her up on her feet. It also helped that Sana had been cheering for her non-stop. If Sana believed she can do this then Dahyun was willing to put everything she has into this game. C'mon only a minute more. Push through this. You got this Dahyun. For Sana.

Dahyun inbounded the ball and looked at the clock. Okay time to earn more of those prizes. Dahyun was guarded closely by Tao. "You're not gonna score a point on me white girl." Dahyun merely scoffed at her defender. "You're right. I'm not gonna score a point, I'm gonna score three instead."The pointguard started to dribble the ball in between her legs and started to drive in only to pull back with a behind the back dribble and shot from beyond the arc. Tao was irritated at the confidence the pale girl had so much that he continued to try and "block" the shot even after Dahyun had already made it.  Tao's arm hit Dahyun on the face and on their descend down, hit her on the chest.

*whistle* SHOOTING FOUL 68, HUANG ZITAO.

Dahyun fell with a loud thud on her back. She had her eyes wide open but all she could see were patches of white and black. Dahyun felt like her heart stopped beating for a moment and she could only take short breaths in between. Jeongyeon and Chaeyoung helped the pointguard up. How Dahyun was still able to stand up was a mystery to herself. Everything was blurry for the pointguard for a moment. She could read Chaeyoung's mouth asking if she was okay but she couldn't hear anything. Dahyun merely nodded and soon found herself getting ready to complete her 4-point play. It was all muscle memory when she sunk in the free throw because Dahyun swears that she couldn't even see the basket anymore.

It was like her body was on auto-pilot, Dahyun just focused on breathing and staying up on her feet as they were defending. there was 15 seconds left on the clock and the score was 75-76. SM Tech was trying to waste time and hold the ball for the final possession. Dahyun could see that the play they were going for was for Kris to seal the game so when the blitz happened, Dahyun put all her energy to her legs and sprinted towards the star player. Kris was about to score when Dahyun bended her knees and launched herself up to block the shot. It amazed Kris how Dahyun was able to jump this high, more so when she started to go even higher. Dahyun swatted the ball away from Kris and Jeongyeon was there to receive it. "CHAEYOUNG GO! GO! GO"

The seconds were winding down and Jeongyeon throws the ball cross court to a sprinting Chaeyoung. SM Tech rushes down to defend while Jeongyeon and the others help to score. Chaeyoung barely manages to catch the ball in between two defenders and scores the winning lay-up.

*BEEEEEEEEEEEEEPP* JYPU WINS 77-76!

The whole gymnasium gets up on their feet and a series of cheers and screams fill up the whole place. The girls rush up from their seats to congratulate the team. Chaeyoung was being hoisted up in the air for scoring the winning basket with everyone chanting "TIGER! TIGER! TIGER!". Jeongyeon ruffled Chaeyoung's hair and trapped her in a headlock. "Argh! Hyung not this again!" Nayeon and Mina could only laugh at the no-jam brothers. 

Sana squeezed herself through the crowd that was going crazy in the middle of the court. She looked intently for Dahyun, eager to give her the well-earned prize she deserved. When she finally saw the pointguard, her smile turned into a worrisome look when she saw Dahyun heaving badly for air while trying to down what seems to be a handful of pills and tablets. Dahyun must be having her asthma attacks again.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dahyun's POV

Okay. You're fine now. You're fine now. Breathe. Breathe you idiot. I leaned my body on the handrail and tried to steady myself. Today's game was intense and I don't know how I was able to keep myself up the whole second half.

"White stuff are you okay? Is your asthma bothering you again?" 

Right. It was because of this heaven-sent angel before me. She brushes a few strands of my hair away from my eyes and I just shudder at the touch. "i-I'm fine Sana unnie." She gives me a smile but I could still see she was worried so I propped myself up to face her. "Really I'm fine now Sana-chan."

I don't think she believes me but something else has preoccupied her mind, I turn around and I see her glaring at the group of girls who approached me earlier. I chuckle seeing her crossed eyebrows and pouty lips.

"I don't think they'll burst into flames no matter how hard you try unnie."

"Just wait a while, I think one of them's starting to catch on fire."

I let out a chuckle and I drag her towards Jeong and the others. As we pass by the girls, she holds onto my hands tighter and gives them a final daggering look. Aigoo I didn't know you were the jealous type Sana-chan.

"And here's Eagle! So Dubs what's yo-"

"ARGH! UNNIE! STAPH!" Jeongyeon suddenly comes out of nowhere and traps me in a headlock and ruffles my hair. It's always been her thing but after 4 years in high school of this it's starting to get pretty old.

"Baby do you have to do that every time you see our kids?" Nayeon-unnie tries to pry Jeongyeon away and succeeds in doing so when she gives her a kiss on the cheek.

"Yeah. It shows that I own these little lug-nuts" She gives me and Chaeng one final ruffle on the head and we both groan and try to fix our hair.

"I don't know about you guys but I want to shower. I think I still got Panda boy's grease on me."

After we take a much needed shower, we come out of the locker rooms feeling like the cast of "Boys Over Flowers". We were walking side by side sporting a wet look and I dare say we look pretty cool and dapper. Th

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter