Chapter 7 - 'Too Afraid I'll Die From It... Ironically'

Beat The Odds
Please log in to read the full chapter

"Okay Mr. Park I think that's all we need for the tests," Dr. Zhang told him. He smiled down at Chanyeol in a friendly way and the taller smiled up at him half-heartedly.

"Thank you," he said.

"We'll get your results back to you this day two weeks," he said. "Then we'll know where we stand with this cancer."

"Great, I'll see you next week," Chanyeol said standing up from the chair. He didn't know whether to shake his hand or not so he just stood still for a few seconds looking at the doctor. When he didn't move his arm he decided he'd better leave so he did, awkwardly.

He walked through the narrow halls that had become so familiar to him at this stage. He even knew some of the nurses and waved at them as they walked by. This was the same place where he had met Sehun. His chemo room was just around the corner from where he was but he knew that Sehun wasn't there. They were scheduled for chemo at the same time, had been from day one.

He walked outside and over to the bus stop to get home. He took his usual spot on the bench and pulled out his phone. He put in his earphones and started listening to some music, loudly, trying to block out the world around him. He didn't want to talk to anyone, not that anyone would approach him. And if anyone did he'd pretend he couldn't hear them anyway.

As he was sitting there, he realised how tired and worn down he felt. He was absolutely exhausted. His body felt heavier every day but he seemed to be thinner everyday. Whenever he woke up, he would weigh himself and noticed he'd dropped a pound or half a pound overnight. His arms felt like lead and he wanted to drag them along the ground and his legs felt wobbly the majority of the time when he walked. Not to mention the sudden dizzy spells at times. Cancer really .

He heard a car beeping from beside him and ignored it. There was usually a lot of people beeping in the city. The car kept beeping though over and over and for longer each time so he eventually sighed and looked to see what was going on and saw Dr. Byun in his car waving at him. He drove a black Range Rover which... put it this way. If the Range Rover was built for a barbie doll, Baekhyun was a polly pocket, it was just too big for the tiny man. He was gesturing for Chanyeol to go over to the car so he did. The doctor rolled down the window as the taller man approached.

"You're waiting for a bus?" he asked.

"No, I just like to sit there sometimes," Chanyeol joked.

"Very funny," he laughed sarcastically. "Do you not drive?"

"I don't actually," Chanyeol said. "Too afraid I'll die because of it... ironically."

"We'll do you wanna ride home?" he asked.

"Oh no, no thank you! I don't wanna trouble you or anything."

"It's no trouble, honestly," he assured Chanyeol.

"No, it's fine," Chanyeol laughed. "I'll get the bus."

"Won't take no for an answer," he chuckled awkwardly. His eyes seemed to beg Chanyeol to get in the car. Well, if he needed to do this to feel like he'd done something to help, so be it. The taller opened the door and got in. He sat down and noticed there was rubbish all over the floor of the car. Food wrappers, pieces of paper, even a milk carton.

"Yikes," he giggled awkwardly.

"I know, I'm not really neat," Dr. Byun said. "Sorry."

"No, it's fine," he laughed. "There aren't any rats in here are there?" He sent Chanyeol an 'are you serious?' look which made his patient laugh loudly.

"Okay give me the address," he said. Chanyeol told him and he put it into the satnav that was stuck to the window. As they drove there was an uncomfortable silence between them that couldn't really go unnoticed.

"So, uh, what's going on?" Baekhyun asked, trying to start a conversation.

"Nothing really," Chanyeol replied. "I sort of broke up with my boyfriend though."

"Oh I'm so sorry," he sighed. "Do you wanna talk about it?"

"You know, I'd rather not have one of our sessions in your filthy car," he told his doctor.

"It's not filthy, it's just untidy," he laughed.

"Whatever you say."

"Well, I just broke up with a girlfriend too," he announced. "Although it's probably inappropriate to tell you about my personal life. It sort of effects the whole doctor-patient relationship."

"No, you can tell me about it if you want," Chanyeol giggled. "I don't mind."

"Well, she dumped me," he began. "We'd been dating for four years, blonde, green eyes, really short, met in college. And then one day she just decided she didn't love me, or any man for that matter. Lesbian."

Chanyeol gasped and tried not to laugh. He couldn't believe what he had heard. His doctor dated a lesbian! It was just so funny to him!

"I mean I don't have a problem with people being gay," he continued. "I just wished she would have found out sooner."

"So what you're saying is, you turned her lesbian?" Chanyeol laughed.

"You can't turn someone lesbian!" he defended laughing. "They're born that way!"

"I know, it's still funny though," he snickered. "Well maybe being a lesbian was a cover up for the fact that she actually broke up with you because your car is filthy!"

"Leave my car alone!" he laughed.

Chanyeol looked out the window and noticed a large black garbage container next to a green one the same size. Perfect.

"Pull over," he said.

"Are you okay?" Baekhyun asked, worry all over his f

Please log in to read the full chapter