Chapter 6 - 'I Like Pretending That This is All Just A Dream'

Beat The Odds
Please log in to read the full chapter

Chanyeol opened his eyes and took in his surroundings. He was in his own bed in his own tiny bungalow. The bed was empty beside him which meant one of two things; 1) he'd dreamt that he had slept with Jongin or 2) he had slept with Jongin and the loser was probably in the living room playing video games. He sat up in his bed and realised that he was still completely . He pulled the blanket up over his chest and sat quietly for a minute.

I had with Jongin, he thought to himself. My best friend Jongin. My best friend saw me .

He couldn't believe what had happened last night. And he had initiated it, not Jongin. Something just came over him and he needed comfort and let's face it, Jongin isn't half bad looking.

He told me I was beautiful, he thought. Even with a bald head he had said that. He was too generous saying that. He didn't have to do that but he made sure that Chanyeol knew it.

Why though? Why would he say that? Unless he thought it was true. But then again he didn't want a relationship. He'd made that clear before anything happened the night before. Maybe he was just saying that to keep up a façade. Maybe he meant it. The only way to find out was to talk about it.

Chanyeol got up and searched for pjs to wear to go out and look for Jongin. All he could find was his boxers from the night before and after pulling them on he decided to try find a sweater or something in the laundry room. He poked his head around the bedroom door which led to the living room and saw that Jongin wasn't there. He walked into it fully to get to the laundry room and noticed Jongin's shirt on the ground. There was no denying that it would fit since they were pretty much the same size so he pulled it on over his head and walked into the kitchen as casually as he could looking for his best friend.

He reached the door and finally saw him with his back to him. Jongin didn't notice him standing there so he leaned against the wall and watched the younger man. He was still only wearing his boxers and socks and his shoulder blades moved under his skin as he worked at the cooker trying to make something. Unfortunately he burned himself as Chanyeol stood watching him.

"Agh! !" he yelled.

"Want me to kiss it better?" Chanyeol asked making the other jump.

"Jesus!" he screamed. "Don't sneak up on me!" After he was finished yelling he noticed what his friend had decided to wear. He looked Chanyeol up and down, a glint in his eye. "That's my shirt."

"I know that," Chanyeol giggled. "It's comfy and you're not getting it back until I get dressed."

"It looks good on you," he chuckled. "It really goes with your shaved head!"

"Why thank you!" the older laughed and walked over to him to see what he was doing. "So what was that supposed to be?" He pointed at the pan.

"It was supposed to be bacon and sausages," Jongin sighed. "I wanted to make some for you because you had a rough night."

"Well, it brightened up at a certain point," Chanyeol chuckled still looking at the charred food in the pan.

"It was still pretty rough," he snickered. "By the way, you're not sore or anything are you? I completely forgot to be gentle in case it hurt your cancer or something."

"It was fine Jongin," the older giggled. "It was great actually."

"Really?" he asked. "Great?"

Chaneol nodded his head and made eye contact with him. They stared into each other's eyes for a few seconds before Jongin cleared his throat and awkwardly scratched the back of his neck. "So should I start this again?" he asked pointing at the food.

"Nah, it doesn't look inedible," Chanyeol smiled and rested a hand on Jongin's shoulder.

"Awesome," he sighed. "I'm so glad I don't have to cook again. Oh, I wanted to ask you if you wanted to go the wig store later."

"The wig store?" Chanyeol asked. "I didn't even know there was one."

"I looked one up," he explained while serving up the food onto plates. "We don't have to go if you're comfortable with the way you are now. I just thought you might want one."

"It sounds like a good idea actually... I'd love to walk around looking normal."

"Well okay then," he laughed looking up at Chanyeol. "Let's go make you normal!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"There's so many options!" he whispered to Jongin. "How do I pick?"

"Maybe you should just go with one that looks like your actual hair," his friend laughed. "That way it won't shock people."

"What about this one?" he asked picking up a bright pink bob wig and placing it on his head. He danced around a bit for him and twirled so Jongin could see it from every angle.

"Like I said, your natural hair colour."

"What if this is my natural hair colour?" Chanyeol teased. "What if I told you I've been dying my hair the entire time I've known you so you wouldn't know about my crazy natural hair colour?"

"You've been dying your hair since you were six?" he asked sarcastically.

"Looking good chemo bud!" a man's voice came from behind me. Only one person Chanyeol knew could make a rhyme like that and get away with it. He pivoted and saw Sehun standing behind him with wig in his hand. He looked extra slick today in black skinny jeans, a plain black shirt and a black leather jacket. He had sunglasses tucked into his tshirt and a maroon beanie on his head.

"Sehun?" he exclaimed. "What are you doing here?"

"Small world eh?" he laughed. "I'm buying a wig."

"As am I," Chanyeol told him. "You still have hair though."

"Ah yes, that I do!" he sighed. "It's an emergency wig. I noticed my hair starting to fall out and I'm buying it just in case it's all gone one morning!"

"That sounds like a better plan than we thought of," Chanyeol laughed gesturing at Jongin. "We just shaved my head and left it at that." Jongin waved at Sehun awkwardly and placed his hands in his pockets.

"How are you, dude?" Sehun asked extending a hand to Jongin. "Are you this Kyungsoo guy I've been hearing so much about?"

There was an awkward silence then between the three of them. Jongin glanced at Chanyeol and then took Sehun's hand and shook it.

"Actually no," he told him. "I'm Jongin, his best friend. Kyungsoo and Chanyeol sort of ended it last night. But you're the Sehun guy I've been hearing about?"

"I am," Sehun said looking at Chanyeol. "I'm so sorry Chan. If it makes you feel any better, my girlfriend dumped me too."

"She did?" Chanyeol asked. "When?"

"Last week."

Please log in to read the full chapter