Chapter 9 - 'Becoming Reliant On Unreliable Things Is Just Not Ideal'

Beat The Odds
Please log in to read the full chapter

Chanyeol laced his fingers with Sehun's as the two of them walked through the city, chatting and stopping to window shop occassionally before Sehun pulled Chanyeol into a small coffee shop.

"It's my turn to pay," Sehun remarked as they lined up to order.

"Hey, I don't mind paying for us both or even just for my own drink... you don't have to spend your money on me you know," Chanyeol replied, giving Sehun's hand a small squeeze and smiling sweetly at him.

"I want to pay. Honestly Chanyeol, I want to take care of you so just let me pay okay?" the younger chuckled and kissed Chanyeol's cheek, making both of their cheeks turn a light shade of pink. "Why don't you take a seat and I'll bring everything down to you? You should relax, you didn't get much sleep last night."

Chanyeol had told Sehun when they'd met up about the situation at home which hadn't really sat well at first with his... boyfriend? He wasn't quite sure what their relationship was at the moment but he was optimistic. Sehun hadn't taken well to the idea that Chanyeol's ex would be staying at his place with him and he had taken the time to point out all of the negative possibilities that would come with living with an ex. Namely, that he might fall for Kyungsoo again and forget about him if he did, to which Chanyeol laughed and pulled the boy into a tight hug, gently playing with his hair to hopefully give him some sort of comfort. I would never forget about you, Sehun-ah, he had said, I like you too much to ever forget about you. It seemed to calm the younger boy down because he had kissed Chanyeol softly, just like their first kiss, and perked up afterwards suggesting they go to the city for the day. Meanwhile, he had left Kyungsoo and Jongin alone at home, not something he had ever planned on doing but they had both insisted that he go out and relax a bit. Maybe they would become best friends while he was out and there could be some peace and quiet between the three of them.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

JONGIN'S POV

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I stood in the doorway of Chanyeol's bedroom, watching the small man curled up at the top of the bed, groaning and whining loudly while scratching at the crook of his elbow desperately. I couldn't do anything to help him because I didn't know what there was to do, I'd never watched someone detox from heroine before (thank God) and I hadn't the faintest idea what could actually help him.

"Please... Jongin... just gimme sum... annthin..." Kyungsoo begged, his words slurred together and his face scrunched up in pain. He gripped onto the bed sheets and let out a deep grunt, his feet and fists curled up so tightly they were white from the lack of blood circulation. I stood there just staring before deciding to take Chanyeol's bin and bring it to the edge of the bed, tapping Kyungsoo gently.

"Hey, if you need to throw up just go for it okay? There's a can here for you, puke to your heart's content," I nodded a little, realising he wasn't listening to me at all either out of choice or because he just couldn't hear me over the pain he must be feeling. He gripped onto my arm then so suddenly and so tight I thought he'd cut off my circulation. He stared me in the eyes and I saw a lot of anger and so much intensity, it was like looking at the Devil himself. Not gonna lie, I was scared of him right now, I thought he was gonna rip my arm off or something. But then he suddenly changed, his grip was still like a vice but his expression was softer, almost crying.

"Jongin please... I'll never bother you again if you just get me s-something, anything... I-I promise..." he was whimpering, his hands were shaking and I just stared at him. I watched him, I looked him in the eye and I said nothing because he needed to know that I wasn't going to cave no matter what.

"Jongin come on!!" he yelled loudly, tears spilling over his cheeks while his face was twisted in grief. "Please!! I'll do anything! I-I'll... I'll your ! I'll let you me! Please Jongin! Make the pain go away it hurts so much!"

"Kyungsoo, listen to me, this is for your own good okay?" I whispered and gripped his forearms, pushing them down onto the bed to hold him still, if he didn't stop squirming around he'd hurt himself.

"You know what would make me feel better! And you won't give it to me!" Kyungsoo yelled, becoming angry again, most likely because I was pinning him down. "You're such an ! This is all your fault! You're the reason Chanyeol dumped me! You're the reason I got addicted again! You're the reason why it hurts so ing bad!"

I climbed onto the bed beside him and pulled him close so his head rested on my chest. He was shaking almost violently so I kept my arms around him tightly, one hand his hair in an attempt to be comforting. "It'll be okay... I promise it'll be okay soon Kyungsoo..." He reached to the floor for the bin and buried his face in it, sounding like he was vomiting up his entire stomach which made me gag a little myself. I knew that I was going to be in for a long day.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chanyeol tapped his own foot against Sehun's teasingly as they sat across from each other in the cafe. He smirked at him and tilted his head a little, taking in the entirety of the boy across from him. His broad shoulders complimented his thin waist and hips, the caramel colour of his skin matching perfectly with the extreme black of his hair. Despite the thinness in his face from the chemo and the dark circles under his eyes, he was still handsome and Chanyeol could only imagine how attractive he'd been when he was at his healthiest.

"Your wig looks good by the way," Sehun complimented him which made the other man blush faintly. "Really natural almost as though you weren't suffering from cancer!"

"Well that's the look I was going for to be honest with you," Chanyeol chuckled and took a sip of the hot chocolate that Sehun had gotten for him. It was creamy and sweet but not too sweet, just the right amount. The cake that had been bought for him was orange and chocolate flavoured, light but also indulgent at the same time, the frosting was smooth and airy and cool. It was perfect, Sehun had good taste.

"You look cute, Chanyeol," Sehun smiled sweetly as he leaned over closer to the other male. "I mean really cute, like a puppy! So tell me, what are your intentions with me?"

"My intentions?"

"I mean, what are you looking to get out of this... out of us? Do you want us to fall madly for each other? Are we going to be friends with benefits? Friends who occassionally kiss? What are we trying to do here?"

Chanyeol paused, blinking a couple of times before smiling shyly and shrugging a little. "Well... I'm not entirely sure

Please log in to read the full chapter