Chapter 10 - 'We Are Both Survivors Right Now'

Beat The Odds
Please log in to read the full chapter

He'd been dying to get home which was why he'd rushed out of Baekhyun's office. Any place could have been better than that, or so he thought. Now all he wanted was to be back in that office, lying on the couch and listening to a CD playing calming sea breeze sounds or something. He felt queasy and not because of the chemotherapy. He felt sick to his stomach like someone held intestines tightly in their fists and and swirled them around. He wasn't sure what to say or do or think. He couldn't move. He felt so... betrayed.

Jongin looked up and caught Chanyeol's eye, looking at him tiredly. He was tired? Tired of kissing Chanyeol's ex-boyfriend? Psh. Now everything suddenly clicked into place. Why Jongin had pretended to hate Kyungsoo. He liked him this whole time, he was jealous of Chanyeol's relationship with him. He wanted Kyungsoo for himself.

Chanyeol made an inhuman noise before turning and storming out of his own damn house just to get away from the two of them at any cost. He slammed the door behind him and he ran. He just ran, not knowing where he was headed but letting his feet carry him as far as they could.

Eventually he stopped after about twenty minutes, bending over and resting his hands on his knees to catch his breath. His head was spinning and he was starting to see dots in front of his eyes. This was unbelievable. He had trusted Jongin to look after Kyungsoo not... take advantage of his state. He found a small wall to sit on and put his head between his legs, breathing heavily. he didn't even want to talk to Sehun for fear of crying in front of him. He knew who he could talk to though.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

JONGIN'S POV

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I still sat at the top of the bed with Kyungsoo in my arms, he was drifting in and out of sleep every twenty minutes or so and my stomach was growling almost non-stop. But I didn't want to leave him alone in case he ran away from the house, looking for a hit. I knew that junkies would kill for their fix and he wasn't going to risk losing Kyungsoo or else Chanyeol would kill me. He started whining but he was still asleep or at least had his eyes closed, his hand was gripping onto my shirt tightly with three other scratching at his inner elbow.

"Soosoo," I started using the name I had used before to mock him when I would talk with Chanyeol but now meaning it in a comforting way, "It'll all be over soon I promise you. I guarantee in a couple of days you'll feel so much better and you'll be happier. I'll help you and Chanyeol will help you... we'll be with you through it all."

He yelled and started scratching at my chest harshly making me wince and forcefully grab his wrists, pulling them tightly into my chest then taking his hands instead.

"Hey! Kyungsoo! Stop it now! Look at me! This is good for you, you're going to get better and there's no point in hurting me because I'm not letting you out of my sight for even a second! I don't care if I lose sleep for it or skip meals, I'm getting you off these drugs!"

He was staring up at me now and there were fat tears continuously rolling down his face, his hands were still shaking despite me holding them as tightly as I could and he was sobbing quietly.

"It hurts... I want it to stop Jongin..." he whispered to me, squeezing my hands tightly. "Help me please..."

"I will... I'll help you Kyungsoo," I whispered and leaned my head down closer to his so they were nearly touching, looking him in the eye. "I promise you're gonna get better."

I heard someone shuffling at the doorway and glanced up seeing Chanyeol staring at the two of us on the bed. His mouth was hanging open, moving slightly as though he was trying to form words but couldn't. His eyes twitched furiously from me to Kyungsoo over and over. I looked at him through my tired eyes almost begging him to take over without using any words but as I was about to say something he turned and was gone. I heard the front door slamming and stood up from the bed, putting Kyungsoo down gently and going to the door, seeing him running. Jesus Chanyeol, you need to rest! What had gotten into him?

"Chanyeol! Where are you going? Chanyeol!" He didn't look back, I wasn't sure if he could even hear me. I groaned in frustration and walked back into his bedroom seeing Kyungsoo shivering and curled up. He looked even smaller than usual and my heart dropped. I actually felt sorry for the dude. Chanyeol's problems could wait.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Hello?" his father's voice came through the phone.

"Dad? Hi... it's me," Chanyeol said quietly.

​​​​​​"Well I knew that when you said 'dad' pure my only child," Junmyeon chuckled and noticed the sadness in his son's voice. "Is everything okay baby? Did you get some bad news about the cancer?"

​​​​​​"Everything's fine dad..." Chanyeol chuckled a little sadly and then shook his head. "No... no it's not... I think Jongin and Kyungsoo were... kissing behind my back."

​​​​​​"Jongin? Baby he's your best friend... I don't think... I mean you've told me what he's like but I really don't think he'd be that cruel to you sweetie."

​​​​​​"It's not just that... my psychiatrist thinks I shouldn't see Sehun anymore except as a friend..." he sighs heavily and shakes his head again. "It's so ed up."

"Language Chanyeol," Junmyeon mumbled and sighed softly. "Who's Sehun? You didn't tell me about him."

"Oh... right... he's my chemo buddy but we've sort of been going on some dates lately," Chanyeol smiled as he thought of his 'not-quite-boyfriend'. "He's really sweet and a gentleman and he takes care of me and I take care of him. He just gets it you know? He understands what I'm going through."

"Well that's great baby but you k

Please log in to read the full chapter