Chapter 2 - 'Just Get High With Me!'

Beat The Odds
Please log in to read the full chapter

Chanyeol was told to go to the hospital at 1:30 on a Wednesday, probably the most inconvenient time there was. But nonetheless he went and walked those white corridors again, careful not to get as lost and confused as last. Perhaps one day he'd know this place like the back of his hand... he wasn't sure if that was a good thing or a bad thing.

He went straight to the receptionist's desk and asked for a Dr. Byun, the psychiatrist Dr. Zhanh had referred him to. It took a while to find the right room but even so he was still early and eventually he found it, knocking on the pale wooden door.

"Come in!" a male voice called. He entered the room and looked around, taking in the place where he was supposed to vent his feelings and emotions about the whole 'pricess' he'd be going through until wither he died or was cured. It was a bit messy with overflowing shelves on either side of the room stacked with a mix of old and new books some pages yellowed and curling. The wall opposite the door was almost a floor to ceiling window with a small desk in the corner. A chair that was far too big sat behind it with its back to the window which seemed ridiculous to Chanyeol because it didn't take advantage of the view outside. In the middle of the room sat a small chair facing long leather couch, it was almost too cliché to believe. And there on the leather couch sat a young man eating a burrito.

He looked too young to even be finished high school let alone be a doctor. His nose looked like it needed to be booped but Chanyeol resisted the urge because, hello? That would be inappropriate. He looked up and caught the taller man's eye. Chanyeol stared at him in disbelief until he looked down and brushed crumbs off his black skinny jeans and plain black shirt. This was a doctor? He was a far cry from Dr. Zhang.

"Can I help you?" he asked still brushing crumbs off his clothes.

"I'm supposed to have an appointment with Dr. Byun," Chanyeol told him with a raised eyebrow. "Are you his assistant or something?"

"Oh sorry," the smaller said standing up and walking over to Chanyeol. He held his hand out awkwardly for a handshake. "Come in and please call me Baekhyun." He smiled nervously waiting for the taller to shake his hand. Chanyeol took his hand suspiciously and shook it a little, his eyebrow still raised.

"You're Dr. Byun?"

"I am. Have a seat please," he said smiling sweetly. He gestured towards the leather couch and blushed a light pink. "Sorry about my food," he added.

Chabyeol walked over to the shiny couch and brushed the remaining crumbs off its surface, sitting down on the and hunching over to place his elbows on his thighs and clasp his hands together. He waited for the doctor to say something first since he had no idea how any of this worked. The small man sat down in the small chair opposite and placed his notepad on his lap.

"So...you're Chanyeol?" he asked.

"I'm sorry. Aren't you supposed to be wearing a sweater in a shade of brown and be an old woman?" Chanyeol asked a bit skeptical of this man-child.

"Oh... did someone say I looked like that?" he asked looking nervous.

"No! But it's just...how old are you?"

"Ummmmm...24."

"24. Wow that's young to be a doctor," Chanyeol said not looking him in the eye.

"Well technically I'm not a doctor yet. I'm working on my doctrine right now," he responded. "This is a training hospital."

"So have you had a lot of patients?"

"Well...my patient history is not-"

"I'm your first patient aren't I?"

"No."

"Second?"

"No."

"Third?"

There was a long pause where nothing was said.

"Wow," Chanyeol sighed. "Okay...so how are the first two doing?" Baekhyun laughed nervously and there was an awkward pause.

"Now, we can't talk about that," he chuckled.

"Riiiiiiight," the taller said drawing out the word slowly. "So this is your uhhhh...training?"

"Well this will be part of my dissertation," he told his patient.

"So you'll be writing about me and showing it to someone?"

"Don't worry though, I change your name."

"Okay...I guess that's fine." There was another long pause. There seemed to be a lot of those in this meeting.

"So...your doctor filled me in on your situation," he said rustling through his papers. Chanyeol noticed how... pretty the man's hands were. He couldn't seem to think of another word to describe those hands they were just... pretty.

"Yea..." he said slowly waiting for the doctor to say something else. Baekhyun finally found what he was looking for and clicked the bottom of his pen, getting ready to write notes. He took a deep breath before speaking.

"So, this must be incredibly difficult for you," he said quickly. "How do you feel right now?"

"Fine!" Chanyeol said a little too quickly and a little too loudly. "Yea I feel...I can't remember feeling so calm in a long time." He said this completely bluntly with no facial expression on his face.

"Well you know, that's actually a really common symptom," Baekhyun said, a small knowing smile on his face. Chanyeol gave him a confused look. "Well your body's in survival mode so what you're experiencing is actually shock."

"I think I'm actually just...fine," the taller mumbled.

"Right, but that's why you're feeling that sense of calm...like would you describe that feeling as a kind of numbness?"

"No I describe it as fine," Chanyeol said quietly staring Baekhyun in the eye.

"Because certain patients feel like-"

"I feel great!" he cut the doctor off being too loud again. Once again an awkward silence seemed to dominate the room as Baekhyun searched for the right words to say.

"Well that's...that's wonderful," he finally said quietly. "I think that's wonderful." Chanyeol started biting his nails again. This small, harmless man seemed to make him nervous and he didn't understand why. Baekhyun seemed nervous too so why was Chanyeol so intimidated by him?

"Maybe today we could start with relaxation techniques?" he suggested.

"I am relaxed," Chanyeol replied bluntly.

"I know you are...but...just humour me," the smaller chuckled nervously. He walked over to the stereo on one of the numerous shelves and switched on some 'relaxing' music, or what was supposed to be relaxing but in actual fact made Chanyeol feel more uncomfortable than anything.

"If you wanna just lie down?" he suggested gesturing to the couch the taller was already sitting on.

"Lie down?"

"Yes," he sighed. Chanyeol could sense the doctor's frustration with him so he did as asked. The other sat back down in his chair as he stared up at the plain ceiling.

"Close your eyes," the doctor said quietly.

"Really?" Chanyeol laughed.

"Yes. It will work you'll just have to trust me," he said.

"Fine they're closed," he sighed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"No peaking," Kyungsoo's voice said in his ear. "Keep your eyes closed.

"I'm not peaking," Chanyeol laughed. How could he? Soo's hands were covering his eyes so tight he thought he was gonna poke them out and go blind on to of having cancer.

"Okaaaaaaay open!" the younger said pulling his hands away. In front of Chanyeol sat a dog. A German Shepard. A b

Please log in to read the full chapter