chapter nine

Summer

Returning from the base of the mountain, you two were greeted with a round of applause. Meanwhile, Jimin was receiving high-fives from his friends, and you were being bombarded with questions from your roommates.

 

“How was it? Was Jimin a good partner?”

 

“Omo~ did I just see you two hug?”

 

“Are you guys dating?”

 

The flood of questions made your head rush.

 

“Dating!?” you were mortified by the question. “Hell no. We’re just f-friends… I guess” you didn’t know how to answer the question since you weren’t sure yourself.

 

Are you and Jimin friends?

 

The activity took up most of the day since each pair had to take their turn at bungee jumping, but as soon as it ended, everyone wanted to rush to dinner.

 

“Another job well done! I hope this challenge helped everyone get to know their partner on a deeper level! You guys are dismissed” Ms. Chung concluded the day’s activity.

 

Deeper level...

 

Your camp advisor’s words echoed  through your head until it struck an idea. You went straight to find a flashlight and a small garden-shovel.

 

--

 

The sun was setting and it was time for your daily search. You’ve retraced all you footsteps from the first day of Summer Camp, yet you still can’t seem to find where the ring went. Possibly because you haven’t looked deep enough; hence, the shovel.

 

You arrived at the place you first bumped into Jimin; the campground entrance. Replaying the interaction in your head, you estimated where the ring might have landed. Finally, on your knees, you began to dig and search through the dirt.

 

As half an hour passed, the sun was completely gone and you had switched to using the flashlight. Despite the absence of heat from the sun, you still broke a sweat from all the digging.

 

Another fifteen minutes pass by.

 

When almost all hope was lost, you saw a twinkle reflect the light. Can it be? You gave the small silver object a tug and it came out with ease.

 

THE RING

 

Brushing off some dirt, it was simple yet beautiful. You couldn’t believe you actually found it. So before it gets lost again, you carefully shoved it into your pocket.

 

You heard footsteps stop behind you and you squeezed your eyes, wishing it wasn’t who you thought it was.

 

You were nudged with their foot.

 

“What’re you doing here?” asked a voice you knew too well.

 

You slowly turned and saw Jimin looking down at you with his hands in his pockets. He knows you’re bad at lying, so there’s no use in trying to cover it up now, but you could at least stall.

 

You crossed your arms and faced him. “I could ask you the same thing. Are you stalking me?” you joked, trying to make light of the situation.

 

However, Jimin wasn’t amused with your failed attempt at dodging the question. He could see the dirt on your hands.

 

You sighed and dropped your arms. “Okay, you caught me. I’ve been trying to look for your mother’s ring”

 

“You what-?” Jimin’s voice almost cracked. To your surprise, his expression didn’t look too happy. It was a mix of disbelief and displeasure, a combination you didn’t think would come out of this situation.

 

A little confused by his reaction, you hesitated to speak. “I just… wanted to help”

 

“I never asked for your help” he quickly snapped back.

 

You furrowed your eyebrows, annoyed with his ingratitude. “Why are you getting so upset?”

 

“I told you that I already tried looking and that you wouldn’t be able to find it”

 

“Well actually-”

 

“Do you realize how reckless you’re being? Disappearing without anyone knowing?”

 

“But I found-”

 

He pushed his hair back in frustration. “Do you have any idea how worried I was?”

 

A big lump formed in your throat as you realized what Jimin had said. He caught himself staring at you before he averted his eyes and cleared his throat.

 

“The only debt you owe is by obeying me. So stop running around without my knowledge before you do something stupid” he started to walk away.

 

“Jimin” you called out, stopping him in his tracks. “Am I really just a pet to you?”

 

He turned his body to face you as you stared at him intently. “You are nothing more than a pet to me. That was the deal wasn’t it?”

 

You felt your heart sink. You clenched your fists as you tried to hold back the tears that were forming in your eyes.

 

Upset with his words, you reached into your pocket and revealed the ring. “You see this?”

 

Jimin’s face dropped.

 

“The deal is done” you shoved the ring into his chest and pushed passed him, running to anywhere but here.

 

“(Y/n), wait!” Jimin called out to you but you didn’t look back, you didn’t want to.

 

Tears were streaming down your face and you just wanted to hide from embarrassment. You couldn’t believe you actually thought Jimin cared about you, even in the slightest. All he cares about is himself. You and your efforts didn’t mean anything to him.

 

Jimin, you . I never want to see you again.

 

--

 

A/N: Sorry to end on such a sad note TT_TT it's part of the drama~