chapter eight

Summer

 

 

The following days of Summer Camp proceeded as usual: warm breakfasts, games in the sun, and same Ice Prince, Jimin.

 

Since that night, you thought he’d be nicer or at least lessen your sentence of being his pet; but instead, you two developed an even more banter-filled relationship. Not to mention, you got closer with the other boys as well.

 

Nonetheless, when Jimin and the others weren’t bugging you, you’d spend your sundowns skipping dinner to search for his mother’s ring.

 

--

 

Cabins 20-25 began their journey as they hiked up a mountain, following behind their camp advisor.

 

“Not much further now! Keep it up everyone!” Ms. Chung cheered as everyone groaned in response.

 

You gripped onto your backpack as the hike started to get a little steep, but you generally enjoyed physical activities so you didn’t struggle as much as the others.

 

“Yah” Jimin poked your cheek, snapping you out of your contentment. “Where have you been these past few dinners?” he continued to prod your face.

 

“Aw, does someone miss me?” you jokingly .

 

His poking turned into pinching. “You wish”

 

“Ouch, ouch, ouch, that hurts!” you pushed his hand away and held your cheek to soothe the stinging. “Why do you care anyway? Because you don’t have a pet to fetch your food for you?”

 

“How’d you know?” he grinned.

 

You rolled your eyes and quickened your pace. He lightly jogged towards you and tugged on your arm causing you to stop in your tracks.

 

“Answer my question” Jimin’s expression was serious.

 

You didn’t want him knowing you were trying to look for his mother’s ring just for the sake of surprising him when you do find it. But also because it might be the golden ticket to escape from his enslavement.

 

“I just like to go to bed early” you averted your eyes.

 

Jimin flicked your forehead. “(Y/n)-pabo, I can tell when you’re lying.”

 

You grabbed your forehead and winced in pain as he neglectfully walked away from you and caught up with Jungkook at the front. Cursing him under your breath, you dragged your feet onward.

 

Suddenly, you felt two arms wrap around your shoulders from each side. You looked to see that it was the mom and dad of the group, an idea you caught onto as you got to know them more.

 

“Someone looks grumpy~ How’s our (Y/n)?” Jin cooed, trying to lighten your mood.

 

“Is Jimin bothering you again?” Namjoon said in a protective tone.

 

“When does he not bother me?” you chuckled. “Jimin’s always gonna be an Ice Prince”

 

A burst of laughter rang into your ears as Jin and Namjoon threw their bodies uncontrollably.

 

“What’s so funny?” you blinked at them in confusion.

 

Jin was gasping for air. “Is that what you call him??”

 

“It’s what everyone in camp calls him. I-I think” you began to doubt yourself.

 

Namjoon who was slowly regaining his composure, finally spoke. “Ah jinjja, people come up with the weirdest things”

 

“I can see why they call him that because he tends to be a bit standoffish at first. But under that tough exterior, he’s actually a big softie” Jin added.

 

You kind of understood what they meant but not completely. Because after all this time, Jimin has only warmed up to you once; which was that one night by the lake.

 

“Then how did you guys manage to get so close to Jimin? And why is he like this now?” your imaginary, curious-cat ears popped up.

 

“We’re all childhood friends” Namjoon softly smiled. “We knew him before his mother pass-”

 

You notice Jin make a ‘cut-it-out’ hand motion by his neck, signaling Namjoon to stop sharing any further.

 

“Oh” your eyes softened at the mentioning of Jimin’s mother. “He told me about that a couple nights ago”

 

Both seemed surprised that you had any knowledge of the situation in the first place. They exchanged glances and grinned as soon as they realized they were thinking the same thing.

 

“Well then, to answer your question…” Namjoon continued as you listened intently. “Jimin was a lot like his mother when he was younger. But when she passed away, he became more like his dad who ordered him to toughen up and not get attached so easily”

 

Everything was gradually making sense now as you pieced the bits of information together.

 

“He still has some traits of his mother in some ways though. So if I were you, I would keep that in mind if Jimin starts to get too cold” Jin reassured you.

 

“Thanks guys” you smiled. It made you feel better knowing that Jimin isn’t the complete douche he makes himself out to be.

 

“Oh, and one more thing” Namjoon spoke up once more.

 

Jimin needs a lot of love and attention

 

--

 

Almost everyone had finally made it to the top, except for a few that lagged behind. You looked back at a funny view of Tae and Hobi helping - more like dragging - Yoongi up the hill.

 

Ms. Chung’s charismatic voice echoed through the air “Congratulations everyone, you made it! Now it’s time for your first challenge!”

 

Everyone looked at each other in disbelief as if the hike wasn’t challenging enough already. People scanned their surroundings and realized how high up they were once they caught sight of the lake and its vastness.

 

An extension-ledge was attached to the mountain as bungee cords were set up by the safety coordinators. You knew where this was going, but you weren’t nervous at all.

 

“It's super simple. All you have to do is pick a partner to jump with!” she explained.

 

You were going to pick Nayeon until she got pulled away by another roommate of yours. Everyone seemed to have a partner except for you.

 

“Who doesn’t have a partner?” Ms. Chung asked aloud.

 

You raised your hand and looked around, noticing that another hand went up after yours.

 

It was Jimin.

 

“Perfect! You two can be partners”

 

You tried to bargain. “Wait, can I get a different-”

 

“No objections! Now hurry, you two are up first” she smiled and gave you a pat on the back.

 

--

 

Connected to Jimin by the ankles, you eagerly waddled onto the ledge with excitement fueling your adrenaline. You glanced over at Jimin who had been silent this entire time. He seemed to have a worried look on his face, yet it was so precious.

 

“Jimin, are you...afraid of heights?” you lifted an eyebrow.

 

He snapped out of his lost state. “Huh? What, n-no”

 

You could tell he was trying hard to keep his manly composure.

 

“Alright, whenever you guys are ready” the safety coordinator gave you the cue to proceed.

 

You took a step forward.

 

“(Y/n) wait, don’t fall or else I’ll fall” Jimin gripped onto your arm.

 

“But that’s kind of the point” you giggled at his obvious remark. You faced your body towards him. “We got this”

 

Jimin took a good look at you, and before you could prepare yourself to jump, he embraced you into his arms and plummeted you both off the ledge.

 

In that moment, all you could feel was the warmth of Jimin’s chest against your face as he held you tighter.

 

Everything was a blur until you felt the bungee cord rebound, indicating it was a successful jump. You both let out a harmonious scream of joy and laughter.

 

He looked into your eyes and smiled the smile that killed you last time. You just hope he couldn’t feel how much your heart was racing.

 

--

 

A/N: Hopefully this chapter explained some things about Jimin! There’s still more to find out tho >__> what could it be? Heuheueh <3