chapter twelve

Summer

The moon settled into the night and cabin attendants settled into their beds as the long-awaited hour passed. You took your time walking along the trail of fallen leaves, letting the sound of your footsteps guide your way.

 

And eventually, you came across the same lake area as you did before. Only this time, the moon wasn’t the only thing shining that night. You leaned against a tree and watched Jimin light the bonfire as he hummed a tune familiar to your ears.

 

Something about tonight already felt different than the first night you visited this hideout… it felt warmer.

 

You smiled and shook your head as you approached him.

 

“No s’mores?” you jokingly nudged him with your foot, catching his attention.

 

He chuckled and held up a box of s’mores ingredients. “I had a feeling you’d ask”

 

Your face lit up as you grabbed a stick and sat beside him, preparing to roast some marshmallows.

 

“What was that song you were just humming?” you placed your marshmallow into the fire.

 

“Hm? Oh, it was a lullaby my mom used to sing to me when I was younger” he sheepishly replied.

 

Your heart softened as you glanced at Jimin’s serene expression. “It sounded really pretty” you assured him of his singing ability.

 

He smiled at you and ruffled your hair. “What’s this? (Y/n) being nice and complimenting me? Who are you?”

 

“Shut up, look who’s talking” you stuck out your tongue and patted down your hair.

 

“So you’re saying I’m nice” he said with a smug face.

 

You took your marshmallow out from the fire and blew on it. “I didn’t say that”

 

Jimin pressed graham crackers and a piece of chocolate onto your melted marshmallow, pulling it from the stick and keeping you from eating it.

 

“You’re not gonna get a bite until you tell me what you mean” he plotted against you.

You chuckled at his pettiness, and decided to give him an answer despite how childish he was being. “Well...it was really nice of you to help me with my fear of swimming” you admitted.

 

However, in that moment, a sudden sadness overwhelmed your heart and the soft smile you had on your face faded into nothingness. Jimin took notice immediately and placed the s’more down as he looked at you with concern.

 

“(Y/n)...what’s the reason you’re afraid of swimming?” he carefully asked.

 

You avoided his gaze and chewed on your bottom lip, trying to hold back the tears that were flooding your vision - but it wasn’t working. You hid your face in your hands, ashamed of letting him see you at such a vulnerable state.

 

Jimin grew more worried as he kneeled in front of you and tried to pry your hands free.

 

“(Y/n), look at me. What’s wrong?”

 

“Nothing’s wrong” you sniffled and lowered your hands, revealing that you were clearly teary-eyed. You just wanted to be strong.

 

Jimin cupped your cheek and used his thumb to wipe away a tear that managed to escape. “Pabo, stop lying already” he softly teased, causing you to break into a giggle.

 

“Sorry, it’s just been a while since I’ve told anyone”

 

“Don’t be sorry, you can take all the time you need” he placed his arms on your knees and rested his chin on his arms, like a puppy obediently waiting for their owner.

 

His patience made you feel at ease and more comfortable to open up. Once again, Jimin had a way of comforting you in situations you least expected. You gently twirled your fingers in his hair and took a deep breath.

 

“I guess you could say, I get my love for adventure from my father. We did all sorts of outdoor activities together, like kayaking. But one day, the rapids were just too strong. And in the process of making sure I was safe, he…”

 

You gulped and paused for a moment to make sure you stayed composed. “...ended up drowning. So I’ve been terrified to swim alone since”

 

Jimin locked eyes with you - eyes filled with sympathy and the urge to protect you. He suddenly wrapped his arms around you and you didn’t hesitate to hug him back.

 

“You won’t be alone anymore. As long as I’m here” Jimin whispered into your hair.

A smile grew on your face as you closed your eyes and tightened the embrace. It was getting warmer, and it wasn’t from the bonfire. You finally felt Jimin’s warmth resonate in your bones - the warmth you were wishing to feel from him all along.

 

“Komawo…” you whispered back, feeling a sense of relief and happiness again.

 

As you two released the hug, Jimin took hold of your wrist and dragged you towards the lake.

 

“Wanna practice?” he innocently smiled, magically changing the melancholy atmosphere.

 

“Bwoh!? Right now? But we don’t have swim clothes”

 

Jimin shrugged and began taking his jacket off, causing your eyes to widen.

 

“What do you think you’re doing!?” you looked around to make sure no one was there to catch the mischievous act.

 

“What does it look like?” he smirked and proceeded to remove his shirt and his pants.

 

At first, you were feeling warm; but now, you’re feeling hot and nervous. It's not the first time you’ve seen him shirtless, but it always seems to catch you off guard. Once his pants were off, he ran into the lake just enough to cover his knees.

 

“Get in! The water feels great!” he persuaded you.

 

“But Jimin-”

 

“But what? I thought you loved being adventurous” he laughed and splashed water onto you.

 

You gasped as the water landed on your clothes. “You are so gonna pay for that!” you stripped down to your bra and underwear and ran into the lake, preparing for revenge.

 

You splashed water onto Jimin and laughed at his shocked expression. But little did you know, he was more so shocked to see you in your bra and underwear. Nonetheless, you two continued to play around in the water, as you both filled the vicinity with screams and sounds of joy.

 

After the long water-splash fight and being completely drenched in water, you both paused to catch your breaths and laughed at the sight of each other.

 

“This was a great practice session” you sarcastically remarked.

 

“Sure was” he winked at you.

 

Suddenly, the grumbling sound of your stomach caught your attention.

 

“Oh, I forgot about the s’mores!” you exited the lake and took a seat by the bonfire as you grabbed your now-cold s’more.

 

Jimin followed and threw his jacket over your shoulders before sitting beside you. You shyly smiled and bit into your sweet treat.

 

It remained quiet as Jimin made himself a s’more to eat.

 

You leaned on his shoulder and decided to break the silence. “Can you believe we’re already halfway through Summer?”

 

“Are we really?” you sensed a hint of disappointment in Jimin’s tone.

 

“Mhmm, and it's been one hell of a roller coaster so far” you chuckled to yourself.

 

“Sorry, that’s probably my fault” he sheepishly rubbed the back of his neck.

 

“Ani~ the ups and downs are what make roller coasters fun”

 

Jimin looked down at you and felt this sudden burning sensation in his chest. He just admired your love for adventure, your charismatic spirit when playing games, your optimism when things get difficult, and your willingness to fight for something you’re passionate about even if it's for the smallest things.

 

“(Y/n)…” he called your name.

 

“Hm?” you lifted your head from his shoulder, as you started to get a nervous feeling in your stomach again.

 

Jimin observed your expression and he could tell you weren’t ready to hear what he actually wanted to say, so he held himself back.

 

“Thanks for being friends with me” he smiled a sincere smile.

 

“Of course” you smiled in relief.

 

--

 

A/N: This chapter was a roller coaster in and of itself :O but I hope you guys still enjoyed reading <333