chapter thirteen

Summer

Two weeks pass.

 

Your friendship with Jimin continued as usual with non-stop bickering, endless banter, the occasional intimate tension, and last but not least -- untold feelings. You kinda liked just being friends with him though. It was simple.

 

--

 

Coming back from breakfast, you stood beside Jimin as everyone gathered around the daily meeting-area and waited for their camp advisor.

 

You had spicy rice cake for breakfast; not the healthiest choice, but it was delicious.

 

You turned to him. “Does my breath smell spicy?”

 

He made a confused expression and leaned down towards your chest. Your eyes widened as you instinctively flicked his forehead.

 

He winced in pain. “Ow! What was that for?”

 

“What do you think you’re doing!?”

 

“You asked if your brea-”

 

“I said BREATH not ” you protectively crossed your arms over your chest. “god, Jimin. I can never ask you a simple question”

 

“Ooo, someone’s got an attitude~” he teased.

 

You rolled your eyes and tugged his arm, averting both your attention towards your camp advisor. “Shut up, Ms. Chung is here”

 

Today is a little different from previous activity-days. It's that time of Summer Camp where cabin groups get to rotate and compete against other cabins through games of teamwork, physical strength, problem solving skills, and trust.

 

Guess you could say, it's the official Cabin Wars. And your competitive drive was living for it.

 

“Hello everyone! I’m sure you all know what today is. Your competitors this evening are going to be Cabins 45-50 and you will get a chance to meet them before the games begin. The winners get a special dinner so be prepared for an intense competition!”

 

Everyone clapped and cheered before heading over to meet with the attendants of Cabins 45-50.

 

A new wave of unfamiliar faces and unknown names stood before you. Almost immediately, everyone scattered to introduce themselves; probably to ensure a friendly competition or maybe to strategically form an alliance with the ‘enemies.’

 

After a while of getting to know some folks, you went back to bugging Jimin.

 

“Jimin, for real. Does my breath smell spicy or not? I feel like I’ve been breathing hot air onto all these new people and they’re giving me weird looks”

 

“Maybe it's because you are weird” he chuckled.

 

Displeased with his answer, you grabbed his shoulders and blew air into his face.

 

He scrunched up his expression. “Okay, yeah. Maybe you could use a mint” he reached into his pocket and popped a mint into his mouth.

 

You furrowed your eyebrows and dropped your arms. “I thought I could have one”

 

“Oh, you want one?” he bent down to your face level. “Then come get it” he smirked as he held the mint between his teeth.

 

You felt your face get hot, partially from impatience and partially from his flirtatious banter. But you were a little used to it by now so you knew how to play his game.

 

You looked back and forth between his eyes and his lips, slowly leaning in. He was subtly surprised but seemed to enjoy it.

 

Inching in closer and closer, you were able to reach into his pocket and pull out the pack of mints. “Sike!” you laughed and threw two mints into your mouth.

 

He leaned back up and smiled as he shook his head. “Not gonna lie, you had me for a second”

 

“Of course, I did. I’m good at games” you slipped his mints back into his pocket.

 

From the corner of your eye, a girl approaches you both with a cocky smile.

 

“Sorry to interrupt” she glances at you then focuses her attention on Jimin. “I had a feeling I’d run into you again. Nice to see you, Jimin”

 

He sighed and shoved his hands into his pockets. “What do you want, Jessica?”

 

Jimin seemed annoyed, and you’ve never seen him this irritated before. You wondered who she was and what kind of history they had.

 

“Ouch, why so cold? Can’t an old friend say hi?” she sarcastically placed a hand over her offended heart.

 

“An old friend, yes. You, no.”

 

You accidentally let out a small chortle and covered your mouth immediately as the girl glared at you. It was funny watching someone else suffer Jimin’s wrath.

 

Her eyes scrutinized you. “I see you have a new pet”

 

Your face dropped. Okay, seriously who is this??

 

“She’s not a pet and her name is (Y/n)” Jimin put an arm over you and pulled you closer to him. Aw, how sweet.

 

“Then what is she to you?” she crossed her arms, waiting for an answer. You were kinda curious of what he’d say too.

 

He smirked. “She’s my girlfriend”

 

Your eyes popped out of your eye sockets. WHAAAT!?!?!?

 

The girl scoffed. “I guess the rumours are true then” she gave you one last dirty look before walking away.

 

Rumours!?

 

You pushed Jimin’s arm off your shoulder. “Girlfriend!? Excuse me!?”

 

He laughed. “(Y/n), relax. I only said that so she’d stay away from us. Plus, I wanted to see your reaction and it was hilarious”

 

“Jimin, this isn’t funny! I know how girls work. Simply telling her I’m your girlfriend won’t keep her from bugging us”

 

“Then pretend to be my girlfriend for me” he cooly stated.

 

Your heart skipped a beat at the thought of it. “Nuh uh, n-nope, no way” you were starting to get flustered.

 

“Come on, aren’t we friends? If you do this, you’d be helping the both of us”

 

You recalled the first day you and Jimin met and how he had originally offered this ‘position’ to you before. Now that you know being his pet , and being his friend is pretty nice so far; who knows what being his ‘girlfriend’ would be like? It's just pretend, isn’t it.

 

Besides, that Jessica chick seems like a so you’d do anything to get back at her snarky attitude. After a while of pondering your decision, you let out a sigh.

 

“Fine. I’ll help you”

 

Jimin grabbed the sides of your arms in excitement. “Really!? Wah~ you really are the best”

 

“BUT” you held a finger up at his face. “We can only act like a couple when she’s around. If she’s not, then we’re back to normal. Got it?”

 

“Yeah, sure” he nodded.

 

Jimin suddenly wraps his arms around your waist and spins you.

 

You yelped and smacked his chest. “Jimin, put me down!”

 

He stopped spinning but continued to hold you.

 

“This is gonna be fun” he smirked.

 

--

 

A/N: Ohoho, who’s this new Jessica chick? I’m so excited to write the following chapters. You guys are in for a treat! As always, thanks for reading <3