Zoo || 005

Zoo

 

The next time Irene met Wendy was at a parents-teacher meeting session.

 

Irene was glad she decided to wear her new outfit. White buttoned-up neatly tucked into pastel pink knee-length skirt. She looked like a student herself.

 

Wendy looked stunned as she stepped into the room. As if she had just stared into Medusa's eyes. She was awestruck by Irene's beauty.

 

"Wendy...?"

 

"Hello there, Irene unnie!" The blonde flashed a blinding smile as she took a seat infront of the teacher’s desk.

 

"If I’m not wrong, you’re Yerim’s cousin right?" The younger nodded. "I believe you know that this is a session for the teachers to meet with the students’ parents."

 

"Yes I’m well aware... But you see, her parents are unable to attend."

 

Irene noticed the teary expression of the little girl sitting at the corner. Yeri looked like she was just reminded of something painful.

 

"Ah sure." The educator did not want to pry more. "Well Yerim actually does well academically. But as you know, Yerim, and her friend Joy, are troublemakers in school. It wasn’t once or twice but more. Just like how our principal is trying to keep her daughter in check, I would wish to discuss with you ways to help Yerim."

 

"I understand the trouble she is causing." Wendy leaned closer to the raven haired. "But first, I would like for you to understand the reason behind her behaviour."

 

Irene nodded. Wendy looks dead serious. What on earth exactly happened to Yeri?

 

"Yeri could you wait outside?" Wendy turned to face the mentioned girl. She looks like she was on the verge of crying.

 

"I’ll get Sooyoung to be outside with you, Yeri-ah." Irene said as she sent a text to Seulgi. The small girl nodded slowly and tottered out of the room.

 

Once the door was shut, Wendy faced Irene once again, boring her eyes into the latter’s dark brown orbs deeply.

 

"Well, I no idea when it all started but I just found out three years ago. And that’s when I got Yerim to move in with me." Wendy started. "She was abused. By her own parents."

 

Irene choked on her own saliva.

 

How could one be so cruel as to abuse their own child?!

 

"I decided to drop by after my trip to Canada and pass Yeri her present. But what I had witnessed..." Tears welled up in the younger's eyes as she recalled the hideous memory. "I had heard screams from outside, but when I went in everything looked normal, other than the fact that Yeri was bruised and crying. Her parents tried to cover by saying she fell in school."

 

Irene could not stand the sight of the every-so-sweet blonde crying so hard.

 

"Hey, it's okay. You don't have to continue, I understand."

 

"N-No..." Wendy sobbed out. "Let m-me finish."

 

"... Alright." Irene reluctantly gave in. She really did not want to see Wendy in such a state.

 

"As I said, her parents tried to lied about it, but to me, a doctor, they were clearly marks from slaps and harsh grips. Basically everything pointed towards home abuse. So I pretended I didn't notice and left the house after delivering the toy. Once I was out, I dialed for the police."

 

Irene unconsciously went over to the smaller girl and embraced her, comforting her.

 

It must have been very tough on Yeri and Wendy...

 

"Well, they put Yeri in my care while the monsters went behind the bars. And I realised that I can't continue as a doctor if I want to take care of Yeri. Because doctors are always busy and have to be on stand-by 24/7, so I quit and worked as a zookeeper instead.

 

"When Yeri was back in school, all her schoolmates bullied her when the teachers weren't around. That's when she met Joy. She stood up for Yeri, and brought joy, indeed, once again in her life." Wendy cracked up a small laugh as she remembered Yeri narrating her first prank.

 

[Flashback]

 

"Wen-unnie!" Yeri screamed as she ran through the main door.

 

Wendy was surprised to see such an expression on her little cousin’s face. How long has it been since Yeri smiled so widely. So carefree. As if nothing mattered to her anymore.

 

"Today was so fun!" Yeri pounced on the older’s petite body, causing them both to fall onto the sofa.

 

"Tell me about it?"

 

"Remember Joy unnie? The one I told you the other time?" Wendy gave a nod in response. "Well we pranked a teacher today! We placed a fart cushion under her cushion, so when she sat, everyone thought she farted. And the best thing was, we were never found out!"

 

Wendy giggled at her cute niece and pinched her chubby cheeks.

 

"Yeri, it's wrong to do that... But I'm glad you're having fun at school!" The older patted her head.

 

[End of flashback]

 

"Oh gosh, I'm so sorry, I never knew Yeri was being bullied." Irene gasped.

 

"It's alright, dear. You weren't her teacher at that time. And not many knows what that poor girl had gone through." Wendy smiled and patted Irene's head. "But even though she has gone through a lot, she shouldn't be pranking others as well."

 

"I understand. I mean, I think it's fine to prank once in awhile as long as it does not get out of hand. Harmless pranks will do fine." Irene smirked, causing Wendy to giggle at her childishness. "I get that that's her source of happiness afterall."

 

"Wow, never expected a teacher to support pranking." Wendy sniffled a little before laughing.

 

Was Yerim's parents the ones who called the last time? Was that why Yerim was so upset? But that doesn't justify her outburst at the end?

 

"Wendy-ah, you know, you can approach me when you are having difficult times... Anytime you need me, I'll be there." Irene gave her one last hug before pulling away and getting back to her seat reluctantly.

 

"Gosh you sound like my girlfriend now." The blonde jokes.

 

I wish I was, trust me.

 

"But yes, Miss Bae, I'll approach you." Wendy saluted, earning a playful smack from the older. "Fine, fine, Joohyun-ssi."

 

"W-Wha- How do you even..." Irene trailed off as Wendy pointed at her nameplate sitting innocently on her table.

 

Irene wanted to slap herself. She felt so stupid in front of the younger.

 

Great way to appeal to someone you like.

 

"What's yours?"

 

"Excuse me?" The smaller girl shot a puzzled expression.

 

"Your full name. I never got to know." Irene pouted a little. And Wendy looked as if she was about to melt that instance.

 

"I'll tell you if you promise not to laugh!" Wendy covered her face in embarrassment. Irene hummed in agreement. "It's Seungwan. Son Seungwan."

 

Irene found it cute.

 

Seungwan.

 

The name sounded perfect as it came out of the raven haired's mouth, unconsciously.

 

"It's perfect." Irene smiled genuinely. "What's so laughable about it?"

 

"Doesn't it... sound like a guy's name?" Wendy said sheepishly.

 

"And that's what's worrying you?" Irene chuckled. "It's beautiful, Seungwan-ah."

 

"Well thanks...?" Wendy was surprised by Irene's reaction. "So do you prefer Irene, or Joohyun?"

 

"Irene. I go by Irene. It's just that Joohyun is my official name so it had to be on the nameplate."

 

"Did you come up with the name yourself?" Irene shrugged. She never really gave it an actual thought. "Eirene, the geek goddess of peace..."

 

The older girl nodded.

 

"To be honest, I think Aphrodite suits you more. Aphrodite, the geek goddess of love, beauty, pleasure, and procreation." The blonde did a little suggestive wink.

 

Is she flirting with me now? Oh god Sseul help me.

 

"Seungw-" Irene was cut off as her door opened.

 

"Yah, the school is closing! Better get your asses out here now!" Seulgi smirked while the other two were sniggering behind her. "Or would you prefer being locked inside and flirt all night?"

 

Wait! I didn't meant for it to be real! Why did she just have to ruin MY time with Seungwan.

 

"W-What?!" Irene and Wendy said together.

 

"Oh look, great chemistry!" The brunette said as she ran from her colleague, who looked like she was about to murder.

 

The trio could only laugh in amusement as they walked out of the school compound. Sometimes they'll wonder who exactly is the oldest.

 

"Seulgi? Did you know about Yeri's situation?" Irene whispered they reached her car.

 

"Yeah. Joy told me about it a few years back, when they just met."

 

"Why didn't you tell me?"

 

"Because it's private...?" Seulgi gave a 'duh' look.

 

Well, that's true...

 

"Oh Seungwan, here!" Irene opened the car door as she saw the other approaching. "Let's all get pizza?"

 

"Sure! And thanks!"

 

"I'm guessing you leveled up." Seulgi piped up as soon as the door was shut.

 

"Oh shut up!"

 

The road to the pizza restaurant was quiet. Yes, sense it, the sarcasm. Quiet will never exist as long as the two satans were around. They were arguing about what flavours to get. And when they found out Irene don't take chicken, they decided to order with extra chicken toppings. It was one of the worst drive Irene had. She swore if she got into an accident, the maknaes has to be responsible for it.

 

But it was all worth it as long as she got to eat dinner with Wendy.

 

Even if they're not alone.

 

Even if there were chicken.

 

Anything with Seungwan is worth it.

 


 

Fifth Harmony's Worth it just started playing in my head. Anyone?

Sorry this chappie is kinda short... But how do you feel after learning about Yerim's past? She's such a poor thing aigoo... I know a lot of you guys are looking forward to the masquerade, but could only be disappointed with a meet-the-parents session. Lol I'm sorry but guess what, the next chapter will be about the masquerade so, do stay tuned! And I love you guys :)

p.s. About the caller... That'll will be revealed in the future dramtic chapters (but seriously, you might be disappointed)