Zoo || 003

Zoo

 

 

A week after the little zoo date with Wendy, and after enduring a year's worth of experience with monkeys, Irene receives an unexpected call.

 

"Hello? Is this Wendy?" The clueless lady shyly asked as she answered.

 

"Yes, it's Wendy speaking." An unfamiliar voice sounded. Maybe she had gotten a flu or something, Irene thought. "I like you Irene, would you go out with me?"

 

Irene was stunned. Not because the confession was unromantic, but she wasn't expecting Wendy to be so fast and straightforward. Wendy was a girl who was cheesy and would have probably spent tons of effort and money for a confession. Irene was confused. She wanted to believe that Wendy said that, but deep down she knew Wendy would never do that. A sudden phone call for a confession? Who in the right mind would do that? At least Irene knew Wendy wouldn't.

 

"Wendy? It's great to know the feelings are mutual but isn't this kind of sudden?"

 

Irene was baffled as she was answered with a laugh. An awfully familiar laugh. The one that she wished she could just die there and then. It was the chimpanzee's laughter.

 

Kim Yerim

 

The raven haired could only hang up. She had been tricked. By a mere soon-to-be-18 girl. A child, in Irene's eye. It's expected for Yeri the spawn of Satan to be playing pranks but Irene never thought it would cause her this much trouble. She was really ruined. Imagine if the zookeeper hadn't felt the same way.

 

The phone screen lit up again, with the same ringtone that Irene specifically chose for a certain blonde. Hesitantly, Irene swipes to receive the call, hoping to be able to negotiate with Yeri.

 

"Hello? Irene, I'm really sorry! I was in the toilet for a few minutes and Yeri managed to unlock my phone and prank call people." In the background, Irene could make out a faint voice that was giggling. Yeri's voice.

 

Relief flooded into Irene as she heard the ever-so-addictive voice that she had missed for a week. And she was glad that the satanic child had not take her prank too far. Yet. Irene will never know when the child would drop the bomb but she better makes sure she's prepared for it.

 

"It's fine Wendy." Heck it was. Irene would never forgive the youngest if she screws up her love life. "Life's hard living with the chimpanzee."

 

"Oh trust me when I say I would rather live with an actual chimp than Yeri." Irene could sense the ends of Wendy's lips tug upwards on the other side of the line. And she could hear the subtle 'Hey! That was rude!' in the background. "I wish we could continue the chat but I got to bring Yeri for a movie at her friend's. You know, in case she gets into trouble. Let's meet soon!"

 

"Sure! Have a great time Wendy!" Irene called out before the other hung up.

 

She then remebered she had to go over to Seulgi's in a few minutes time. Irene was ready to set off. She just needed her ever-trusty backpack that contained her nightwear in case she sleeps over.

 

The vehicle started with a few grunts before it was ready to go. The drive to Seulgi's took 15 minutes and Irene was glad that she managed to avoid the traffic congestion that would occur in a few minute's time.

 

"Girl you're finally here!" The bear-faced girl engulfed the older in a tight hug. One thing that Seulgi loved was to give others hugs that squeezes the air out of their lungs. And she does it well. Well enough for the other to have almost fainted in her arms.

 

Air gushed back in as the brunette invited Irene into her home.

 

"Seulgi is that your boyfriend?" Mrs Kang called from the kitchen.

 

Both Irene and Seulgi sported a look of disbelief at each other before breaking into a laugh.

 

"Mom gosh! It's just Irene! And I've told you many times I'm into es!" Seulgi closed the door before replying. Just in case there are some homophobic neighbours outside that decides to eavesdrop on them.

 

"Language Seulgi!" Mrs Kang made fun of her daughter. "And I was hoping you would change your mind, sobs."

 

"Mom! Seriously?" The bear whined. "You should totally stop watching those overdramatic series! Stop expecting some miracle!"

 

"Hey, it's called drama series for a reason." Irene chocked back a laugh at the cute banter between the mother and the daughter. "But head up, I'll bring some snacks later on."

 

"Thanks, Mrs Kang!" The educator could barely mutter before Seulgi dragged her up to her room.

 

"Another new one?" Irene pointed at the huge bear plushie that sat in the corner of the room. "What are you? Five?"

 

"Hey! Joy gave that to me on my birthday!"

 

"Girl I told you that satan likes you!" Seulgi blushed furiously.

 

"Hell no! Friends buy gifts for each other! And she's like, what, five years younger and a minor too! It's impossible!" The brunette jumped onto her bed and cuddled her other bear plushie.

 

"If you say so." Irene said in a mocking tone, raising her eyebrows teasingly.

 

"But back to the main topic, what's going on with you and the hot zookeeper?" The younger wriggled her eyebrows suggestively. "Apparently Tae-unnie spotted you last week at the zoo with a blonde... But she thought she saw wrong because, why would Irene Bae visit the zoo, right? But that's what she thought. I, the mighty Kang Seulgi, on the other hand, knows the exact reason. It must have been a date while your partner is working!"

 

Irene gave a look of disbelief. Sometimes, Seulgi's imagination can run too wild. Even though it's partially true... But it wasn't a date. At least not a romantic one. And Irene swears on all her fabric softener, Seulgi must have watched all the drama series with Mrs Kang. If the girl wasn't a teacher, she would probably work as a director or a scriptwriter.

 

"And judging the looks you are giving me... All I said was true! Bingo!" The brunette snapped her fingers and did a small dance. 

 

Well, Irene would never say the other had good judgemental skills. Not when Seulgi thought that someone flipping her off was a signal that they were interested to have a ual battle on bed. Not when she thought Joy, the satan, was an angel in disguise.

 

"Have I ever told you you have the worst interpretation skills?" Irene scoffed. "I mean it wasn't all true!"

 

Irene hates the fact that Seulgi had her ways to make her spill her secrets. But she's always grateful at the end of the day, when the other offer her advices and provide assistance.

 

"So it was partially true then!" The bear transformed into an overly-excited clapping seal. "I want to hear the juicy news!"

 

As if on que, Mrs Kang knocked the door before entering with a tray of snacks in her hands.

 

"Cool! Popcorn for the thrilling story!" Mrs Kang was weirded out at her own daughter's behaviour and decided to head out before she witness more that'll make her regret not aborting.

 

So Irene started on narrating her, kind of, long love story. Well, one-sided love story. About their cute little conversations during the field trip. About the offer to be Irene's personal psychologist to treat her fear of animals. About the sudden unplanned date in the zoo, even though the blonde was not working. And even about Yeri's prank call earlier that day.

 

Seulgi was rolling on the floor by the end of Irene's anti-climatic drama. With messily opened food wrappers randomly lying around. Anyone could tell that Wendy was into her as well. Seulgi didn't get the point of why Irene hasn't confessed yet. Confess to Wendy and you'll get your girl, was what Seulgi thought.

 

"Sseul? Can you help me? What should I do?" Irene was on the verge of tearing. Imagining Wendy rejecting her scared the out of her. "W-What if she dislikes me?"

 

"Bae, Wendy looks at you with fire in her eyes. Like a hungry beast. But I'm not saying that she only want your body." Seulgi wanted to pull out every single strand of her hair in frustration. "What am I even saying?! Anyways, I meant that even the blind could see that she has feelings for you too. Unless she's a flirt and is just playing with your feelings!"

 

Seulgi swear if she could change that instance, she was willing to pay any amount. Irene had started sobbing at the idea of Wendy playing with her.

 

"Wait sorry, I'm saying that she likes you back because she ain't a flirt! I've asked Joy who checked with Yeri about her love life. I know that I'm over stepping the boundaries but I really want to confirm that my bestie wasn't falling for the wrong person! But my point is, just confess to her! Or if you're afraid, wait for her to do it. I'm sure the girl would do it soon!"

 

"W-Will you help m-me?" The poor girl said in between sobs.

 

"To? Get you girl?" Irene nodded meekly. "Of course I will! I'll even get Joy and Yeri to help out."

 

"But first, I think we need to get your grandma look changed." Seulgi suggested playfully. "I'll find out what type of style Wendy likes. For now, just dry off your tears, gosh you look horrendous."

 

Truth to be told, Irene was still pretty even if she cried an ocean of tears, but then again, Seulgi was a bad judge. The only thing that would still look appealing to her, even after all sorts of events happen, would probably be her beloved Pringles.

 

Irene went to the bathroom to clean up and changed into her sleeping wear. Striped shirt with a pair of floral-printed baggy pants.

 

"Seriously? I just said change your grandma look and you had to wear that." Seulgi facepalmed herself. "Flowery pants. Great."

 

"What? It's just for sleeping... And it's comfortable too..." Irene trailed off.

 

"God hear my prayers!" The younger joked. "Anyways, we'll find a new style for you tomorrow. Shopping date with Yeri and Joy. Even if their our students."

 

Irene hummed in response, already under the covers and drifting to wonderland.

 

Wendy's type...

 


 

Here's an early update (earlier than scheduled)! I know it's been long and I'm sorry but, I'm back with a new chapter and (finally) a cover! How do y'all find them? (as in the chapter AND the cover) Sorry the chapter wasn't really worth the wait, I wasn't able to get good inspirations. So do you think Wendy(in this fiction) likes the gentle type or the badass type? Do leave your thoughts in the comments section, and don't be shy! And remember to subcribe to be first to read updates! Upvotes are optional but are greatly appreciated! Anyways, thanks so much for all your patience and support!