Zoo || 008

Zoo

 

"Father? I’m coming back." Irene spoke into her phone.

 

"Joohyun, it took you long enough. So when are-"

 

"No. I just meant I’m back to work. I’m not going to accept the marriage you’ve planned for me." Irene coldly cut her father off and hung up the phone.

 

Putting on a white button up and a pair of black skinny pants, Irene finished of her look with a black tie that hung loosely around her neck.

 

A few days ago, she emptied her entire wardrobe and decided to change her fashion, once again. Irene dragged her bestie along to the mall and picked out some formal attire that was suitable for her line of work. As for casual clothing, she got the minimalist yet chic style.

 

So you like bad girls, Son?

 

Not wanting to be at work too early, Irene drove down to a cafe near her workplace and ordered a cappuccino. Even though she does not like coffee, she knew would need it to be able to survive the whole day at work.

 

Heads turned when she entered the tall building. Mumbles about her identity were heard everywhere. Some said she was an idol. Some said she was a new employee. And some said she was the daughter of the CEO. And that was right.

 

Mr Bae owned many different companies, and one of them was the law firm that Irene was in. Irene was the only child and only heir, and thus she had a lot of burdens. And when her parents decided to interfere with her love life, she had the last straw.

 

Irene ran away from home.

 

But she's back. To prove she was capable. To prove she was worthy. And lastly, to make Wendy regret.

 

Although, deep down in her heart, she knew that Wendy wasn't materialistic. She knew that even if she was the richest or the most famous person in the world, Wendy wouldn't run into her arms. The Seungwan she knew wasn't pathetic like that.

 

"Miss Bae." Her personal assistant greeted. "Nice to meet you, I'm Nayeon. Mr Bae is unable to see you to work on your first day as he-"

 

"I don't care." Irene stopped walking and turned to face the other.

 

Nayeon was pretty. She had two front teeth that peeked out cutely when she smiled. Irene would have fallen for her if it was not for Wendy.

 

"Just," Irene continued into the lift as Nayeon nodded. "Get me my schedule for today."

 

"Okay." Nayeon took out her notebook and started reciting. "You have to sign paperwork and look through your client's file in the morning. And then a meeting with your first client at 2, after your lunch. Lunchtime is at 12 and ends at 2."

 

Irene hummed as she stepped out of the lift at the fourty-third floor.

 

"After the meeting, which should end around 4, you're free to do your own work. The building closes at 11pm. And here's your office." 

 

Irene was led into a spacious room where there were clear glass windows which provided amazing scenery outside. There was a desk and a office chair right beside the shelves that were aligned against the wall.

 

"Thank you." The raven haired offered a small smile at her assistant.

 

"Call me if you need help, I'm just situated outside. And those files on the table are the documents I've mentioned earlier." Nayeon finished before leaving the room and shutting the door.

 

Irene opened up the first folder. Budget for advertising. Well, there wasn't actually a need to advertise since they were the most popular law firm. But according to the report, there were some money left over after distributing the budgets to the different departments. Why not?

 

Approved.

 

The following folders were just as boring as the first. There were some requests to help solve law cases for companies, but Irene knew that they were helpless cases as all evidence pointed to them.

 

Rejected.

 

Irene managed to finish the paperwork at half past ten.

 

Opening up her client's case, she was meet with another beautiful face.

 

Minatozaki Sana.

 

Apparently she is Japanese and had been working in Korea for a few years now. She got into a car accident and the other party was blaming her. Sana was at the losing end as she was not local, eventhough she had an international driving license.

 

Irene read through the reports again and again, finding loopholes here and there. She was determined to win her first case, even if its small. It’s good to build up credits.

 

A knock sounded.

 

"Ms Bae? Sana is here." Nayeon entered with a woman that Irene recognised as Minatozaki Sana. 

 

God I didn’t realised I skipped lunch.

 

"Hi I’m Sana. You can call me by my name, don’t be too formal." The Japanese smiled.

 

"Ms Bae, treat her well, she is a friend of mine." Nayeon boldly added before exiting.

 

"So, are you single?" Sana winked.

 

Irene glared at the other.

 

Was she on drugs? 

 

Here in a law firm, she is getting hit on. By her client. 

 

What...?

 

"Hey chill, I was joking. You know... the mood was too serious and I like to have fun." Sana laughed. "And like your glare was totally intimidating."

 

Irene rolled her eyes.

 

"Not interested."

 

Cold and straightforward. That’s how Irene became.

 

She learnt not to trust. The moment she trusts, is when she falls. And she’s afraid no one is there to catch her.

 

The meeting continued with Sana’s slight flirting but Irene didn’t care. She felt that it was fine as long as she had already had herself clear.

 

True to Nayeon’s word, the meeting ended five minutes to 4.

 

"Ms Bae? Care to get dinner with us?" Sana gestured at Nayeon and herself as she exited.

 

"No thank you." Irene packed her desk. "And Nayeon, I’m getting off work now."

 

The cold woman sauntered out of the room without waiting for a reply.

 

Irene was tired. The cappuccino didn’t help at all. It might have seemed like an easy task, but no, dealing with Sana’s flirting is a nightmare when the victim is clearly not interested.

 

The lawyer dialed for Seulgi’s number as she entered her car.

 

"Hello?"

 

"Sseul? Meet me at Solar’s."

 

"Gotcha." The bear hung up.

 

Solar was a close friend with Seulgi, and eventually Irene as well. 

 

And she had a greasy girlfriend named Moonbyul.

 

The couple never fail to bring up their moods whenever they visit the club. Irene felt guilty for not visiting them after such a long time so she thought it would be a good idea to visit them this evening.

 

Irene parked and entered the crowded area. Gosh she had missed this place. It was where she drown her sorrows. Where she created more friendships.

 

"Hi grandma!" Solar yelled across the noisy room.

 

Somehow, she managed to spot Irene within the messy crowd.

 

And somehow, Irene managed to hear her through the blasting music.

 

"Slowgi said she’s on her way." Moonbyul added as she slung an arm over her girl’s shoulder. "Bae did I tell you, you smell nice?"

 

Solar blushed and slapped the blonde’s arm.

 

Irene cringed at Moonbyul’s sentence.

 

Sure they were great as a couple. But Irene never understood how Solar came to love the younger’s cheesy lines.

 

"Get a room guys." Irene scoffed.

 

"Someone’s jealous~" Moonbyul teased.

 

Being the more sensitive friend, Solar scolded Moonbyul for Irene.

 

"Dear, you’re obviously here only when you are troubled. What’s the news?"

 

"Well she got rejected." Seulgi dropped the bomb as she took her place beside Irene.

 

"Rejected? By who?" Irene didn’t recognise the voice. "Which idiot rejects such a goddess?"

 

Turning around the group was faced with Irene’s nemesis.

 

"Jae." Irene breathed. "Nice to meet you again."

 

Seulgi was about to say something but Irene pinched her. Knowing her bestie, words that were about to spill were definitely colorful.

 

"Renie, what would you like? My treat." The woman, again, in purple offered.

 

"No thank you. I’m not interested."

 

"Ouch." Jae pretends to pick up, I think, fallen pieces of her heart from the ground.

 

Amazed that the girl was unbaffled by Irene’s cold demeanor, Solar, Moonbyul and even Seulgi decided to watch the drama.

 

"So Irene can I get your number?"

 

"No."

 

"How about your email?"

 

"No."

 

"Even your address?"

 

"No means no, Jae." Irene stood up and prepared to leave.

 

"Aww, that hurts a lot, fiancé."

 

What?

 

Irene hoped she heard wrong.

 

Jae was the amazing and talented girl that father set me up with?!

 


 

I’m sorry if I’m making things over complicated in this small fragile world... but truth is to be revealed soon. And hopefully Wenrene can get together soon as well. Please do upvote to support my fiction!!! Thanks so much guys, I love all of ya!