Fragile Peace

Lost and Found

Warning: this chapter contains a little detail about domestic abuse, though I have not explained anything in detail. Just wanted to clear things out, in case anyone is sensitive about the same. If it is not a problem, do enjoy!


"What came over you?" key asked, his gaze steady on his friend, who tried to grow smaller, if possible."You are not leaving this room, without giving me an explanation, jonghyun.You are not an aggressive person. Hell, you are the most reserved and shy person I have ever seen in my life. And yet, suddenly you turn into someone I barely know. And then you feel guilty afterwards. What is up with you? Why did you lose control?" key asked again. The room was silent for a few minutes, and key waited. after what seemed like an eternity jonghyun opened his mouth and mumbled something which key could barely hear. "What?" he asked.  "I was not hitting Minho" jonghyun whispered. "Have you gone crazy? you were hitting Minho, jong what happened?" " i was.... i was hitting my father key. i was hitting my father!." jonghyun shouted and key shut his mouth...blinking at his friend in confusion.jonghyun sighed deeply and told his story, something he has never told to anybody. "My father.........he was a bad man. He used to come home drunk, and hit my mother, almost everyday. He never used to physically hit me or my sister in the beginning, but would keep us locked in a cupboard for hours. It is horrible, key, to stay in such a small space, for hours together, not able to see or hear anything.But we couldn't say anything to anyone, or he would hit my mother more. However, once, when i was eight years old, my mom had to be admitted in the hospital because of injuries, and that's when his attention turned to me. With my mother out of the way, he hit me....... everyday."Another tear pressed down his face. Key's heart clenched, he had no idea that this reserved, shy guy had to go through so much, so early in life. Key could feel his tears falling down his face."I endured this treatment everyday, because if he was hitting me, it meant he would stay away from my mom and my sister. However I was wrong. Once, after getting home late from school, I entered the house to see him beating my sister around and when I tried to intervene,he told me that if I made any move, he would..... he would kill her...kill his own daughter.That day, I had to watch him, beating and pushing my sister around, and I couldn't do anything to protect her. However my mom decided that this was the limit. together between the three of us, me , my mom and my sister managed to collect enough money for us to run away, and we did, one day when my father was out drinking. My mother also filed a complaint, after which he got arrested." He took a deep breathe, trying to keep his breath steady. "Everyday,in my mind, I replay the scene,of  him hitting my sister, and I get angry with myself, that I was a coward, that I did not do anything to protect my only sister. When I heard minho was hurting you for no reason, I....." he stopped,his whole body trembling."You saw a part of your father in him, and lost control." key finished it for him. He nodded solemnly."I was wrong. So wrong. Minho isn't like my father. it is me. I repeatedly hit Minho...I....I kept hitting him, that he couldn't stand up afterwards. I am turning into ....him....my father.... I.....I.....I am sorry...i have become a monster" he broke down again, sobbing hard into key's embrace."No jong, you are not your father. Not even close. You are the most kindhearted and pure person I have ever met. Yes, you shouldn't have hit Minho like that" jonghyun's sobs grew louder at that sentence,forcing key to speak louder,"BUT........but, you did it to help me, to support me, to defend me... and it is the thought behind your actions that shows how different you are from your father. now, listen to me carefully jong." key said, and pulled away from the embrace, and made jonghyun face him......"You.Are.Not.Your.Father." he said, emphasising every word by shaking his friend."and you will never be.so don't work yourself over it... ok?" jonghyun did not answer."ok?" key asked him again. his friend nodded slowly, and key smiled up at him."although i could do without your...hulk version" key said, and after a minute both of them burst into laughter."Man, you look so small, yet you hit Minho pretty hard, jong. I would have never thought you had so much power in you.I should stop teasing you all the time." jonghyun stopped laughing, and looked at key sheepishly."I have to apoligise to him, key." "of course you have to. I bet that won't be easy, he will probably give you a hard time, considering his rotten attitude." key joked again. jonghyun smiled weakly and added." well,about that, i just realised.. key, that even though i kept hitting him, minho... he never once hit me, or even struggled in defence....though he could have easily overpowered me.That guy must really feel remorse then.... never thought he was capapble of feeling sorry. I guess I was wrong. Anyways, take some rest key. i will go and fetch you some food. Disclaimer.... hospital food ."  key saw his friend leave the room, but his words didn't leave his mind. 

jonghyun went off in search of minho, and found him in the outpatient ward, slumped into a chair in an awkward position. A lump appeared in jonghyun's throat, looking at the guy's various wounds, which had all turned yellow. He had a swollen eye, and his lips looked like they had been bleeding. Jonghyun couldn't believe he had done that to him. He gulped down nervously, in a vain attempt to clear the lump in his throat. "well, here goes!" he thought nervously, before approaching the taller guy.''uh...... Minho?" he called tentatively, but the other did not respond.."Minho!" he called a bit louder this time, and Minho jerked up like he received an electric shock and looked at him.jonghyun expected the former to yell at him, or atleast frown at noticing his appearance, and at the back of his head he was mentally preparing himself to get hit by Minho. however what Minho did shocked him deeply."its you" was all Minho said. jonghyun noticed no malice in his voice, no coldness.Actually it sounded like minho was sad.This only made jonghyun feel worse."are you looking for the others? kai and chanyeol have gone to the venue to explain our sudden disappearance. taemin has gone to call a taxi, and baekhyun has gone to the loo." minho continued, as if we were friends, as if i wasn't the one who almost beat him into a pulp."I....I... actually came to see you Minho." jonghyun stated. Minho looked at him, with an unreadable expression. taking this as a cue, jonghyun continued" I am really sorry. Minho. I know I have no excuse for what i have done but i hope you forgive me.I lost control, i was not thinking straight. i... am truly very sorry.' Jonghyun expected a witty remark or even a scoff, but Minho defied his expectectations , yet again."there is nothing to be forgiven, jonghyun.I was a jerk and you acted like how any friend would.However, I would have liked it if you had stopped at the first three punches." he smiled at the singer, whose obviously struck expression amused him a bit." it was a joke jonghyun." and jonghyun smiled at the dancer. At that exact time baekhyun came out of the restroom, and beckoned for Minho to go out.Taemin must have called the cab.Jonghyun got up to leave, but stopped when minho gripped his wrist. "I know it is of no use after what has happened....but...could you please tell key.....that i am really very sorry for all that i did. I treated him like , and yet he did so much for the team. Just tell him, that I deeply regret what i did, and that I am sorry." Jonghyun smiled at him."You should come and tell this to him yourself, I am sure key will forgive you." Minho just shook his head...." I...... I am not ready to face him jonghyun... and besides i look like ." he said, gesturing to himself, and half smiled."just tell him.... tell him I am sorry." he said, his eyes pleading me silently.. and jonghyun nodded. he smiled again, this time a grateful one, and set off towards baekhyun, who was trying hard to stare into one of the vases on the reception desk and act like he wasn't listening. Just before he left the building, Minho looked back at Jonghyun and gave him a small wave, and he waved back, suddenly feeling like a mountain was lifted off his shoulders. He went ahead to get some fruit, because he was sure key would spit out all the cooked food this hospital provided.