Chapter 9.

Falling For The Opposite

Yerin POV 

After Sinb left the apartment I looked at Joy with a sly smile on my face. 

"You really aren't joking about it right?" She asked me impressed at what you can say my accomplishments. 

"Yes, about that. I think, that she doesn't deserve this," I said leaning onto the sink looking at Joy a little bit worried. 

"Wait. Don't tell me you actually want to take down the bet?" She asked me and then she looked at me with shock. "Have you fallen in love with her?" 

"Whaaat? No. Why would you think of that Joy? I never ever fall in love with the likes of her," I said looking everywhere but her eyes and then fake laughed. "That is the best joke I've ever heard." 

She laughed along me and I exhaled in relief. "Yes, because that will be completely nuts. After all, you hated her since you first saw her right?" 

"Yes, still do." 

"It amazes me how can you let her kiss you, aren't you like disgusted?" 

"Actually, I am and I want to take a shower too, again. So would you please leave?" 

"Good. Better get rid of that germs before you get infected by them," she said as she left. "Bye-bye Yerin." 

"Bye Joy." 

I closed the door behind her and slid onto it to the floor. I placed a hand on my beating heart, why does it feel as if I had betrayed her? I shook my head to get rid of those thoughts. I got up and headed towards the shower. 

I let the hot water hit my body as some crazy thoughts swarmed through my head. 

I can't possibly like her. She is a nuisance. I just started this stupid relationship because I wanted to break her heart and because of some personal issues. So why do I feel as the tiest person in the world? 

Thank you for proving me that love is really worth it. 

I don't know why I had a flashback about what she said before she felt asleep. What did she mean by that? Doesn't she believe in love or what? She is a pretty weird person. y. But weird. 

Wait. y? What are you thinking about Yerin? Have I spent too much time under the hot water? Yes maybe that's why I have this crazy thoughts. 

I turned off the faucet and grabbed a towel to dry me off. I went to the closet to put on something to wear. As I was browsing through it I, out of nowhere, remembered her sleepy face asking me to hug her. She looked adorable like that, but it doesn't hide the monster she actually is. I shook my head once again. Why do I have this kind of thoughts?

I exhaled and closed my eyes. What is getting on to me? I can't get her out of my head and that kiss had left me pretty confused about what I feel about her. I looked at the clock and I was already late to class. Well, it doesn't matter, today is the last day of the semester so I can give myself the luxury to skip. After all, I think it's better that I won't contact her for a while since I have to settle my feelings before I start with my real plan and chances are, that I don't think she is that dumb to have fallen in love with me just because I told her some pretty words.

Why did my heart throb at what I just said? I have treated her like that all this time but why does it hurt so much that I have called her dumb? I shook my head and grabbed some sweatpants and a grey hoodie. I changed and went towards the living room were Dog was sleeping soundly in the couch. 

"Tsk. Lazy dog," I said as I sat beside him and patted his head. "You really are pretty lazy huh?" 

He just snored and I scoffed. I the television but after a few minutes, I ended sleeping next to the dog. 

 

"Yah! Jung Yerin wake up, you lazy piece of trash," A voice startled me by shouting on my ear. I woke up suddenly to see an angry Eunha glowering at me. I sat and wiped up the drool off my lip. 

"What do you want?"

"What do you think you are doing?" She shouted at me and I cringed at her voice. "Whatever you are doing stop!" 

I felt asleep but then she jarred my shoulder so that I was awake again. "I am sleeping, duh." 

"I'm not talking about that! I know you have a little plan that involves the heart of my friend and I swear that if you break her heart I will come and get you," she said glaring at me. "I don't care that we are best friends. She is my main one and I won't tolerate anyone hurting her." 

"What? Who are you talking about?"

She groaned. "I can't believe that she likes you, of all people it had to be you. Hwang Eunbi, I am talking about her." 

"Hwang Eunbi?" I asked her while furrowing my eyebrows in confusion.

"Sinb for God's sake!" She shouted making me jump, startled at her sudden rise of voice.

"Oh. What about her?" 

She groaned again and she rolled her eyes. "God please give me patience so I won't fall into the temptation to kill this annoying duck." 

"Hey! Be careful on what you say!" I remarked at her but then cowered as I saw her famous glare. Something that no one expects, but her glares are pretty scary. 

"Now, let's talk. What is going on with you and Sinb? And don't tell me that nothing is happening because I swear that this will be the last time you ever mutter a quack again." 

"Quack?" I tilted my head confused bu then I saw her short temper expression and managed a serious one. "Ehem. What is going on with me and Sinb?" 

"Do I need to repeat myself again?" 

I shook my head and rolled my eyes. Jeez, she really has a short temper. She reminds me of Sinb in some aspects. Wait. She said that she is her main? As in main best friend? 

"Well, I thought she was a really mysterious person and I wanted to get closer to her. Another thing led to another and we are dating?" 

She laughed and I looked at her confused. Never was I so confused in my whole life. 

"That is by far the worst lie I have ever heard. Now, please don't let me waste my time. You know I have better things to do than to stop and have a reasonable talk with you," she said wiping off a fake tear. 

"Yah! What has gotten up to you? You are hating on me today," I said getting sick of how she has speak to me. 

"Honey, do you really think that I am sweet all the time? I can get worse you know and I'll do it if you don't answer correctly my goddamn question." 

I looked down and bit on my lip. Should I tell her? It definitely won't end well but it is better than being treated like this. After all, I think she is capable of destroying me with a snap of her finger. 

"I'm just curious on how you got near her if you have told me that you completely can't stand people so cold and indifferent like her?" 

"It's complicated," I wavered on what I should say next. "It's long and you probably won't want to talk to me again." 

"Go on. Explain. I'm all ears." 

"Fine. You know how I am, that I like to get attention and that I have a great self-esteem right?" I asked her and she nodded. "Well, between some friends and I, we made a bet." She nodded urging me to continue with the story. "The bet consisted on that we should make someone fall in love with us and that then we should break their heart. But we wanted a bit of a challenge, so we said that the victim was going to be the Ice Princess and with that we could also show that she had feelings and that she was just faking being all high and mighty about it. I agreed but the others said that they were afraid and they cowered when they heard who it was going to be. 

"I agreed because it would be a challenge to myself, so that I could prove that I can make everyone fall in love with me. When she will ask me to be her girlfriend, I would tell her that this was all a bet. That I was faking my feelings. And that will break her heart or so we thought. Joy pulled on some strings so I could be her partner in a project and that I could get closer to her. At first she irritated me. She was so bossy and so indifferent about everything but I knew that I had wormed inside her heart because she let me approach her even though she always told me I annoyed her. I only felt hatred towards her because she was the only one who wasn't affected by my charming personality. Then it all changed when I saw her with that gorgeous girl, they were talking and she went to kiss her on the cheek. I don't know what I felt, but I definitely didn't want her close to Sinb. I was in front of them and I said hi, Sinb was all red because of something the other girl said and that made me so envious about her. I told her that I was interrupting their date and she didn't even deny it.

"I wasn't feeling good since that encounter so I skipped for about two days. I went back to classes and Sinb and I got into a fight but I didn't want it to happen but I was still bothered about what I saw that day. Joy told me that if I want to win the bet and all, I should just apologize to her. I was about to do it, when she came to the library by the gorgeous girl. She forced Sinb to apologize to me and I accepted her apology so I told her that we better start by being friends again. She smiled and I felt a flutter in my heart, I felt guilty for a moment but then I remembered why I was doing it.

"To make the story short. I want to call off the bet because I think I might like her. She doesn't deserve this. " 

She just stood there with the most confused expression she could ever muster.

"You really," she said but then she got quiet. She was left without words.

"Please don't tell her. I beg you. I don't want to loose her, now that I know that I like her. Please." 

"You really are have the nerve to tell me that I don't have to tell her? Damn right! She doesn't deserve this. She doesn't deserve you. I really can't believe it. You wanted to make her fall in love with you, just to show that she indeed had feelings and on top of that, if she asked you if you wanted to be her girlfriend, you'll rip her heart in two saying it was a stupid bet? But really the sickest thing of all was that you first intended to make her like you just to prove to your narcissistic self that everyone loves you," Eunha said disgusted and screaming at me while I just stared at the floor. 

"I just hope that," she got cut short when someone slammed open the door of my apartment. My dog perked his ears but continued to sleep. We turned to see who was the one that entered the room and when I did, I felt the color drain from my face. 

Standing there, with her head looking at down, was Sinb. She looked up, and without glancing at me, she glared at Eunha. "Out." 

The latter was with her eyes wide open and opening and closing like a fish. "E-eunbi I can." 

Sinb cold eyes were now scanning Eunha face. "I said out." 

Eunha looked back at me with remorse written across her face and a sign of sympathy. She grabbed her things and left the apartment in a rush. Leaving me shocked and standing rigidly on the same spot. 

She didn't speak; she just stood there, facing down, her shoulders shaking as she breathed in and out. 

"Sinb-yah I can explain," I said, my voice shaking with feas as I managed to utter a sentence. 

She laughed, abitter laugh and I looked at her in horror. "I don't want any explanation from you. What I heard was enough for me to understand." 

"No you don't." 

She ignored me and continued talking, her tone getting colder and bitter. "So it was all a bet huh? Really I was such a naïve girl thinking that someone would like me for who I am, but I was wrong. All those dates, you getting jealous when I was with Eunseo, you kissing me, you telling me you liked me, you accepting my apology and telling me you wanted to be my friend, they were all lies?" 

She asked me but I couldn't bare myself to answer. She was right, I just agreed to be her friend so I can start with my plan. I faced the floor. 

I wanted to say no. I wanted to say that that was at the beginning, that I was indeed using you, but now I realized that I love you and that you are the best thing that has ever happened in my life. That, I slowly was falling in love with you. That, when you kissed me, I felt a hundred of fireworks exploding in my stomach; whenever I saw that you were with your friends and even though they were only talking, I wanted to snatch you away and claim you as mine; that every time I saw you from afar, you made me fall in love more. But, the words died on my throat as I only managed to mumble. 

"Yes." 

"Unbelievable." 

She got quiet for a second and then she exploded. "You are the worst person I have ever met in my entire life." Yes I am. "You knew exactly how I felt and you continued playing your stupid little game. I hate you." I know, I hate myself too. "I just wish I would have never met you." 

When she said that, I snapped my head up to see her looking at the floor. No. She didn't mean that. My heart began to beat rapidly as I knew what was coming. 

"You hurt me," her voice cracking as she lifted her head up; she was crying. Tear after tear, rolling down her cheeks. "Are you happy now? Are you satisfied that you discovered that I have feelings? That I am human after all?" 

She sobbed and I felt like a thousand stabs at my heart. I stood there as I watched how my world slowly started to crumble. I wanted to tell her anything that might help me fix this. To give me some time. Anything. But I think a simple sorry won't change what I did. 

I went to reach her but she slapped my hand away. 

"Don't touch me!" 

"Sinb-yah, please," I begged her, my voice cracking too. "Please let me explain." 

She dried her tears and looked a me with hatred. "Don't you ever touch me again." 

My hand, that was outstretched, fell limply at my side. I looked down trying to contain my tears. 

"Here," she said forcing me a dozen of roses on my hand with a yellow envelope. "I was planning to ask you to be my girlfriend today and as a surprise I would give you these roses. But now, I don't want to be in a relationship with a pathetic person like you." 

If it was impossible that a heart could break for the second time in the same day, it was now possible because I felt my heart shattering on what she just confessed. Now, it was my turn to let the tears fall, as I saw how broken her face looked and the pain it inflicted to me knowing that I caused her this. 

"Goodbye Jung Yerin," she said and that made me snap back to reality. I was indeed loosing her. 

"No. Sinb-yah, no. We can fix this, I swear I can fix this," I didn't care that my voice was cracking or that I was pleading her to stay, the thing was that I didn't want to loose her. "Please, don't leave me. I beg you. Please. I can't loose you."

"You lost me at hte beginning," she glanced one more time at me and walked throught the door. 

"I beg you, don't leave me. We can talk, we can fix this. Just please, let me explain. Please please please just listen to me." 

She didn't answer me. I walked behind her until I was at the hallway. 

She left without turning back one more time. I stood at the hallway with my shoulders slouched and tears falling freely down my face. I looked at the roses she gave me. I grabbed the envelope and with shaky hands, I managed to open it. Through my blurry vision I read in her neat handwritting. 

'I will love you until the last flower wither. Please be my girlfriend Yennie.' 

My legs couldn't stand anymore as I fell onto the floor and sobbed. I cried and cried knowing that the moment she walked out of the room, not only our relationship died, but a part of me too. And I realized, after all this time, that I had fallen in love with my complete opposite.  

_______________________

I know it's pretty ed up but there are really people like this in real life. I have encountered some and let me tell you, it's amazing how love can change some people but well. 

What's going to happen to them is my real question? What do you think? 

Personally, I tried to make it as sad as possible. I hope I did. 

Anyways, thank you for those comments. They put a giant smile on my face. Thank you so much.

Lots of love, (see what I did there) 

-Lu