Chapter 1.

Falling For The Opposite

Love is just an empty word that we put emotion into it, that's how I view the meaning of love and that is maybe how I will see it for the rest of my life. It's not that I don't believe in love, it's just no one has given me reasons to. I really don't understand how can someone fall in love so recklessly of a person that won’t love him or her the same way. It's like a game of luck; some of them have it better while others are really b with bad luck. I think it's a waste of time dedicating yourself to someone who, in the end will leave you.

I know what they say about me, that I'm the cold, arrogant, and indifferent queen. That no one can and never would melt my cold heart. Some even say that I'm playing hard to get, others though say that I'm only like this because I am an attention seeker. And they are completely wrong, yes maybe I may act indifferent and cold but I'm not arrogant and even less an attention-seeker. But what can I say? Even if I try to deny and act differently, they'll say worse things than this ones so I realized that I should act just how they perceive me.

I don't have too many friends and I'm okay with that, they know who I really am and that's enough for me. But it isn't for them. They, personally think that I should prove them wrong and I tried to but I chose to reveal some vulnerability to some people and they attacked me ruthlessly. Society is the definition of hypocrisy, they say you should act like who you are but later on they'll judge you if you don't follow the oh-so-called stereotypes.

"Ttinb!" I turned around to the sound of a melodic voice and a warm-feeling nickname. Even though I should hate it and feel repulsed by it, I'm not, in contrary I personally like how it sounds but like society demands I have to act annoyed by the mere prospect that someone's talking to me.

I raised an eyebrow and saw an oddly happy ginseng running towards me. She wore an award-like smile and her bangs were all ruffled because of the wind. Right now she looked extremely adorable trying to cover her forehead, but I'll never admit it to her or to anyone. After all, I don't know what I'm feeling exactly when I see her.

She is a very social type of person that has a warm aura, someone completely different from me. We are two polar opposites and the reason as to why we are on speaking terms is because we were paired up for a project. I remember perfectly well, she approached me with an eye smile and sat beside me as if she didn't care that our classmates were looking at her wide eyed while I was eyeing her curiously, but I put on my signature blank face and looked at her with cold eyes. She seemed unbothered by it, she continued talking as if I was her long lost pal and that is how it all started. She would approach me and tried to start a conversation in which she was the only participant and then she'll leave saying that she had a nice chat. At the beginning she was annoying as hell but later on I was getting used to her bubbly presence.

"You won't believe what happened" she said trying to catch her breath, she was resting her hands on her knees, she then turned her head upward to see me in the eyes making my heart skip a beat. I frowned, since is the first time that I have felt this for someone and I was partly mad about it.

I shook my head and she take it as a signal to continue giving her happy news "they showed the results for the mid-term."

"And?" My answers were always short and without emotion but this time I was actually anxious, it's not that I care but she had been studying like crazy for this exam, staying past sane hours cramming the topics and she even begged me to give her tutoring lessons on her weak points. I was extremely worried about her health; she even had some sickly eye bags that I swear she could pass by being dead. But with the power of make up she had them well covered.

She showed me a crumbled paper I didn't know she was holding. It was her exam and a neatly and perfect 10 showed in red. I looked up to see her giving me her famous eye smile, a ghost of a smile appeared in my face. I was relieved, she could sleep well now without having to stress out of any exam.

"I passed it and it's all thanks to you" she exclaimed and she did something that made me tense up. She gave me a big hug, almost lifting me up the floor. She was really happy since it's the first time she actually touched me. She laughed and then she let me down.

"You are the best, Sinb-yah" she said, becoming all sweet. I gulped and turned my head left, feeling a tiny blush appear on my cheeks.

"I didn't do anything" I mumbled feeling shy all of a sudden, all of the coldness long gone. She's like a walking sunshine, bringing joy and happiness to people.

"You did everything and because of that we should celebrate" she said looking at me with sheer excitement "how about we start celebrating now?"

She grabbed my wrist and practically dragged me with her, I was about to complain but seeing her all happy, I couldn't force myself to ruin the moment.

"Yerin-ah" a voice suddenly exclaimed making her to halt and turn around to see who was calling her. When she noticed whom the person was, her face turned to full admiration and dare I say it affection. Just the moment I saw how her expression changed, I instantly knew who that person was. I turned around, my heart returning to its coldness. I glared at her, while she hugged and practically kissed all her face. Park Soo Young, better known as Joy. She was beautiful and all but really there was something in her that I grew on to hate. Every time I see her near Yerin, my blood boils and my stomach churns. I don't know exactly what it is but I come to the conclusion that I hate her guts.

I felt uninvited all of a sudden since she was still talking excitedly to the girl, paying no interest in the girl who she left behind, *coughcough*me*coughcough*. So instead of wasting my time, I my heels and marched down the corridor. I was near the entrance of the building when I heard her scream my name but I ignored her, I continued walking until I feel that someone grabs my wrist.

"Eunbi-yah, wait" I froze, she never uses my name when she talks to me so that means she will leave me for her. I clenched my jaw and turned around, my cold eyes searched her face.

"What." I didn't ask, I just stated, my voice cold as always but now with refraining anger. Her eyes went wide with my sudden change of tone.

"I'm sorry Eunbi-yah but can we celebrate next time?" She asked innocently, almost afraid "it's just something important has come up and I can't miss it." I knew she is lying, she doesn't have anything important to do. She only wants to hang out with that girl.

I raised an eyebrow and muttered, "I don't really care. We are not friends, so you can do whatever you want without apologizing."

She heard me well, because her eyes went a little bit glassy for a moment until she blinked a couple of times and then her demeanor changed back to normal "okay, well then see you later."

She smiled but it seemed fake, like she wasn’t actually happy. She then, turned around and went up to a smirking Joy, who winked at me and draped an arm around her. I felt almost guilty to saying her that but seeing what Joy did, brought my foul mood back. What was that supposed to mean?

I rolled my eyes and turned around to walk up towards my car. The cold air of December hit me as I climbed inside and drove towards my apartment.

 

When I arrived, I dropped my things in the living room near the sofa and marched up towards my room, completely ignoring a hubbub watching a movie. I closed the door hard and dropped face first on my bed. I groaned.

"Hwang Eunbi" a strong voice demanded while knocking on the door "open the goddam door. Eunbi? Open the door dammit."

"It's already open unnie" I said, sitting straight in the bed while I heard a tiny oh. The doorknob turned and in came a tall girl with long brown hair.

"What happened?" she asked, concern etched on her face. She walked to my bed and she sat, taking my hands in her hands.

"Nothing" I mumbled avoiding her eyes. She grabbed my chin and forced me to look at her, she gave me a disapproving look.

"You can't lie to me, you know that" she smiled but then she sighed "come, we are going out."

"Why?" I asked as she dragged me out of my bed towards the closet. She left me standing in the door as she browsed through my clothes. She grabbed a black t-shirt, with some black skinny jeans, Chuck Taylor All Stars and an olive green jacket for the cold.

"Change" she said giving me the clothes and walked out of the room leaving me with no choice but to follow her orders.

_____________

We arrived at the mall 15 minutes later. I frowned as she parked in an empty space near the entrance.

"Why are we here?" I asked unfastening my seatbelt while she was doing the same.

"One, I need to buy some things and two I know how you are so if I let you alone in the apartment you'll be sulking around" she says opening the door and getting out. I sat there blinking, even though I hate to admit it but she's right.

"Where to?" I asked as I walked quickly catching up to her. She was walking but she gave long strides, since she was freaking tall with beautiful long legs, so it was difficult to be walking at her side.

"Come on Eunbi" she said turning around smirking at me "you are getting slower and tiny."

" you, giraffe" I grumbled "I'll curse you everyday so you'll loose 1 cm. In 172 days you'll disappear completely."

She stopped and then laughed "did you just quote Lovely Complex? You really need to go out often." She said between breaths, holding her stomach and wiping a tear from her eye.

"Oh shut up" I said glaring at her, my face turning red. Normally the stares would intimidate everyone but she is immune to my coldness. She laughed harder. I frowned.

"Oh come on" she said finally calming down "that act as an Ice Princess will not work with me and you know that. You are just too adorable."

"Whatever" I rolled my eyes and marched up to the bookstore that was in front of us.

"Oh come on Bi" she said giggling "you are not seriously mad, are you?" I ignored her and walked towards the fiction area. I scanned the aisle, searching for my favorite collection, and there it was, in the second shelf looking majestic and glorious. I smiled and grabbed the last book, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. I flipped through the pages and then I closed it, putting it back to the shelf, I sighed. I have the books all right, but I have them on eBook and not on paperback.

"Here you are!" said an exasperated Sowon looking preoccupied while I glanced at her with a bored expression "I didn't meant it like that. Look, I'm sorry okay. If you want, we can make a marathon of Harry Potter when we return to the apartment."

I already forgave her but if she puts it that way....

I acted as if I was thinking deeply about what she said "hmmm, tough choice. But if you say so, I'll gladly accept your apology." I ended up with a smile and she rolled her eyes.

"Yeah yeah yeah, whatever" she grabs my arm and guides me out of the store "now come on, I have to buy this before it's out of stock."

"Out of stock?" I confusedly asked and frowned.

"Yes, didn't you heard me?" she suddenly halts in front of a Coffee Shop, then she turns around and faces me "you know what? Having you by my side is slowing me down so go to the Coffee store and save us a table, will you?"

I put a hand on my chest, pretending to be hurt "so you are saying I'm an extra weight? Why did you force me to come then?"

"You know what I meant" she said sounding a little bit mad.

"If you say so unnie" I waited for her to go and get whatever she is searching for but she stood there staring at me "what are you waiting for? My permission?"

She shakes her head and nodded "sorry, bye. Wait for me and be nice." With that she disappeared running to god knows where.

"Be nice" I mocked her and turned around heading towards the coffee shop "as if I'm not nice to everyone. I'm actually the nicest person in the world." I opened the door and I saw a tall guy rush towards the door shouting me to please let the door open, but instead of letting it open for him to pass in, I closed it in his face and turned towards the counter. A second later, I heard the guy grumbling while entering the door. He stayed behind me as we made the line. I smirked when I saw him on a mirror-like thing in the counter, glaring at my back.

"Hi! Welcome to Ben's Coffee. What can I get you miss?" and overly happy cashier exclaimed and asked me, she smiled expecting me to smile back but instead I kept a blank face. Her smile flatters and she was nervous all of a sudden.

"Yes, I would like an Americano and... cafe...Late?" I asked confused as to how you pronounce it and as expected I messed up the pronunciation because the cashier suddenly sniggered.

"Nothing more?" she began typing something in her computer like machine.

"No” then again, my voice returned to its coldness. She looked up at me and she was about to smile when I glared at her. Her eyes went a little wide and she dropped her head. I smirked.

"Okay. It'll be a total of $7.75" the cashier said and I grabbed my wallet, dropping on the counter a 10 dollar bill. She grabbed it and put it in the cash register. She took the change and the ticket, dropping them in my hand without making eye contact.

Before I went to get a table I asked the cashier “you are going to leave them at the table or I have to wait here, standing up?”

“Ummm no no no” she stuttered and I raised an eyebrow “we’ll leave it at your table.”

I nodded and left. I got out of the line and searched the room, looking for a perfect table. And there it was, a booth near a window. Well it was practically the only place that wasn’t taken so I rushed to it, almost tripping a girl that coincidentally was going to the same table. I sat just in time she was putting her on the booth.

“It’s taken” I said looking at her straight in the eyes and she rolled her eyes while getting up and searched for a place at the other side of the coffee shop.

She is taking her time, I thought as I checked my phone. I sighed and slumped back in the booth, not caring if my legs were wide open and it wasn’t considered a proper way to sit down for a lady.

“Sorry it took me a while” said a familiar voice, touching my shoulder making me jump all of a sudden.

“Holy-“ I looked up to see a smirking Sowon with a bag “you don’t do that. Don’t do that ever again. You scared me.”

“I know” she said, walking towards the other side of the table and sitting in front of me “I couldn’t resist you know.”

I glared at her and she laughed “well, the reason I was late was because I got you a present.” She grabbed the bag she was holding and she pushed it in the table towards me.

I frowned looking at the bag “a present? For what?”

“Well” she hesitated and then added “it’s practically a very late birthday present since I didn’t gave you one and I hope you still like them because I didn’t get almost trampled for getting it.”

I opened the bag and I saw a CD Box. I took it out and turned it around so I was seeing the front. My eyes went wide when I saw the name of the group.

“Oh you didn’t” I exclaimed and she smiled.

“Oh, I bet you I did” she laughed at my expression.

“God, I love you Kim Sojung!” I said getting up from the booth and walked towards her side, crushing her in a hug “marry me please.”

She laughed at that and then added “you are saying you love me just because I got you their CD.”

I looked up and kissed her cheek “you are the best.”

“Yes I know” she said while smiling “now, would you please quit on hugging me and kissing me, people are staring at us.”

I know she doesn’t like to grab attention so I kissed her once more in the cheek and returned to my seat. She looked around and then sighed. Right in time, a waitress came with our coffee. Leaving the Americano for Sowon and for me the Café Latte.

“Thanks” said Sowon smiling at the waitress and the waitress turned to me, but I ignored him waiting for him to go away. She then turned her head, giving me a stern look but I ignored her and took a sip from my coffee, trying to look innocent. Hmm it’s not that bad. I was trying so hard not to look at her, but she grabbed my ear making me almost drop my coffee.

“Ow, ow, ow!” I said and turned to look at her “would you let me go please?”

“When someone brings you something, you have to say thanks” she spat frowning “even if you don’t like it. Its just manners.”

“Yeah yeah, I’m sorry unnie” I said while biting my lip from the pain “won’t do it again. Promise. Can you let go, please?”

She huffed but she let me go, a little bit mad “now, don’t forget that you have something to tell me.”

“Huh? What?” I asked massaging my ear while pouting a little, damn I didn’t know it will hurt so much.

“You know damn well what I’m talking about” she said raising an eyebrow and sipping from her coffee “and don’t act as if you don’t know. I think I still can return the CD to the shop.”

“No!” I exclaimed and she jumped from my sudden remark “I’ll tell you okay.” I exhaled and began telling her everything about Jung Yerin and how we met. In the end she was smiling like a madwoman, her eyes twinkling.

“Oh my god” she put her hands on “my baby has a crush!”

“A what?” I asked at her, not liking the word.

“A crush” she said, her smiles getting larger “it means that you like her, as in romantically.”

“What? No” I scoffed and turned to see the window “I don’t like her, she’s annoying.”

“Bull” she said as she emptied her cup of coffee, she then turned to see something behind me. Her eyes went wide but then she smirked.

“Hmm this Yerin girl” she said “let me guess…. She has long brown hair with bangs, hmmm porcelain type of skin and an adorable eye smile?”

I stared at her with wide eyes “wow, unnie. Are you a seer?”

She chuckled and shook her head “no, it’s just this girl has been sending me glares the whole time I was here. You should have seen her face when you hugged me and kissed me, if looks could kill, I’ll be dead already.”

“What? Where?” I asked looking around while she rolled her eyes.

“Don’t be so obvious” she said and then signaled with her head “right behind you.”

I turned my head slowly and yes there she was looking all angelic and perfect. I stared but I couldn’t help it. It seemed as if she felt my stare because she turned around and we locked eyes. I turned my head quickly, feeling a blush creep on my cheeks.

“Oh my” said Sowon chuckling “you are blushing. Oh and she’s coming this way.”

I felt the rush of heat travel up to my ears and she laughed at my mortified expression.

“Hi” I heard her angelic voice and I turned around, meeting her eyes she smiled but then formed an o “you are red. Are you sick?”

Really, I thought this only happened in romantic books or something like that. When I read about them, I thought it was pretty stupid because it’s really obvious that the other person is blushing because of the other person.

“No she’s not” Sowon said smirking, my eyes went wide “it’s just that I told her something and she got flustered.”

once again formed an o.

“I’m sorry” Yerin said smiling at us apologetically “I’m obviously disturbing your date. I just wanted to say hi. I’ll just go. See you later, Eunbi.”

She left, it was too fast that I didn’t have the time to tell her that we weren’t on a date and definitely she wasn’t disturbing us at all.

“Well” said Sowon after two minutes of silence “aren’t you a charmer.”

“Oh shut up” I said putting my head on the table, feeling miserable all of a sudden “because of you, she thinks we were on a date.”

“Don’t blame me” she said patting my head “there there. It’ll get better.”

I groaned and turned my head on the table. Now, how will I face her tomorrow?

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 It's a long chapter to be the first one, but this story was supposed to be a one-shot and well I got carried away. I really couldn't put everything I wanted in just one so maybe I will have to make it a short story or just a story story. 

Either way, were are my manners. Hello, I'm new in this whole writing and reading fanfictions. I was recommended a story so I began to read it and well you know what they say, once you are in you can't get out. So I tried to write a really tiny fanfiction but as you can see I in writing one-shots. I even made a cover, really I don't know what's happening me. Also I'm in the middle of studying for an Economics Exam for tomorrow and well I got the idea so why don't take a little break and write?

Yeah, yeah I should start studying but anyway.

Did you like it? Hope you did. I really should go. 

Peace out! 

   -Lu