Chapter 22

Glory days and ways

Chapter 21

Areum POV

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It’s a surprise I even woke up this morning and somehow had the will power to get ready for class. During the evening yesterday, my parents came in to check in on me to see how “sick” I was, and I had to really use some of my acting skills.

Winter in Seoul is arriving and it’s time to bundle up. On top of my school uniform I threw on a long black coat.

To be honest I really don’t look my greatest. I’m still quite upset from yesterday, actually the feelings never left. Thank the lord for makeup, because if I didn’t cover my face with it this morning then I would have looked like a zombie. I didn’t put any effort into my hair, I just put it into a high bun.

The ride to school was silent. I didn’t even put on music.

I’m just kind of going on by.

I stop myself before I enter the English classroom. I have this class with all the girls and we sit all together. Today that’s not an option. I start to panic.

“Areum?”

I turn around and see Mina looking at me with concerned eyes.

“Are you okay?

I open my mouth to answer but then shut it again.

“Do you want me to get the girls for you?”

I shake my head violently. A look of realization flashes through Mina’s face.

“Areum…d-do you want to sit with me t-today? There is an empty seat by me.” She asks nervously.

I instantly bring my head up and look at her in shock.

“Really?”

“Ya sure!”

“Thanks Mina!”

She smiles, and we walk into the class. I try to put a poker face on and not show to much emotion.

I know everyone is looking at us. It’s a unusual site to see me and Mina walking with each other in a civil manner. Without even having to turn to them, I can feel the surprised and confused stares of Chin-Hwa, his friends and the girls.

Quietly, we sit down and organize our materials before class begins. I look at the time and see we still have about 10 minutes left.

“Areum.”

I turn to face Mina and she has a sad expression on her face.

“Mina what’s wrong?”

“Well I just wanted to say that I’m sorry for always causing trouble with you and thinking I was so much better even though I’m not. I just realized that it wasn’t worth it. I think I was always just jealous of you for some reason. I hope you can forgive me and we can move on from that.”

I smile slightly at her confession.

“It’s okay Mina, I accept your apology and I hope you can forgive me too!”

“Of course!”

I grab my phone and hand it over to her. “Here, let’s exchange numbers!”

She looks happy at my friendly approach and proceeds to enter her number. She hands me her phone and I enter my number into her phone as well.

“Alright students phones away! Class is about to start!

We put our phones away and put our minds forward to the lesson ahead of us.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Lunch comes around and I don’t know what to do. Obviously, I always used to sit with the girls, but I need to find somewhere else. I pull out my phone and go to my contacts. My finger lingers on Mina’s name.

Should I?

Whatever I have got nothing to lose. I press her name and send a quick messege.

Areum: Hey can I eat lunch with you today?

Mina: I might go the cafeteria later but I’m in the parking lot, so you can come to my car now.

Areum: Sure.

I make my way towards the parking lot and there aren’t many people there. I spot Mina by her grey car and quicken my pace.

“Hey Mina”

“Hey Areum”

“So what are you doing here?”

“I was thinking of going to a café nearby, wanna come?”

“Sure.”

We pile into the front seats and put our seat belts on.

“Any song suggestions?” Asks Mina.

“Hmm, who do you like?”

“Red Velvet.”

“Me too!”

“Alrighty Red Velvet it is!”

The ride was surprisingly smooth. We talked and laughed, making jokes with one another. It was interesting to see how we instantly clicked. As if we had known each other for ages.

“So, I was just thinking of getting a warm coffee, this place has the best ones in town!”

“Okay you have to show me which ones are good!”

We walk into the store and get in line. I can practically see the sparkle in Mina’s eyes as she reads over the menu. I glance to my side and frown once I see a group of four girls sitting all together. They looked so happy, talking, and giggling with one another and occasionally sipping each other drink to have a taste.

The memories of me and the girls immediately fill my head and I can’t help but feel sad again.

“Areum..are you okay?”

I didn’t want to ruin or set the mood low for Mina, so I just put on a smile to cover up my emotions.

“I’m fine! Don’t worry! Now what drinks should we get?”

She gives me a skeptical look but answers my questions. We proceed to get our orders then sit at a open table. There was silence at first but then we slowly start the conversation again.

“So how are you and Chin-Hwa’s relationship going?”

“Good.”

“You guys are cute together!”

I blush at her compliment.

“Aww, you think so?”

“Ya!”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The rest of my classes weren’t that eventful. It’s the end of the day now and I’m heading towards the parking lot.

It’s been a tiring day and I want nothing more then to go home. Walking into the parking lot, I smile once I notice Chin-Hwa and his friends near my car.

“Hey Chin-Hwa!”

He turns around and I give him a bright smile. But of course, he replies with that small smirk of his, but this time there’s something else that his face reads, and I can’t tell what it is.

“Areum.”

“I barley saw you all day today.”

“Hmm ya you didn’t.”

I frown at his response, it seems like he is not interested in the conversation at all. I try steering it in a different direction.

“So how about we hang out soon, like tonight, or tomorrow after school.”

He doesn’t respond but instead his friends come closer to us.

“Chin-Hwa? Hello, I just asked you a question!”

He turns around and gives me am emotionless look, his next words kill me.

“Areum, I don’t like you.”

Wait what?!

“W-what d-do you m-mean?”

“It’s exactly what I mean, I don’t like you.”

“Then why are you dating me? You said so many nice compliments to me, took me places and helped me out wh-“

He turns his whole body so that he is standing close to me, dangerously close. He leans in and whispers in my ears. “It was all a dare.”

That’s when everything broke apart.

He observes my reaction, once he notices I’m speechless he keeps going with his explanation.

“Every guy that had asked you out in this school which happened to be a lot, always got turned down by you. You were seen as invincible, and no one could get to your level. So the guys gave me a dare, make you fall for me and I win.”

“Looks like you did it bro!” Dae-Jung says while giving Chin-Hwa a pat on the back.

I can’t believe it.

I muster up my courage and slowly speak my next words. “I don’t believe you.”

Chin-Hwa raises his eyebrows and let’s out a low laugh. He turns and looks me straight in the eyes.

“Areum, did you really possibly think that I would like someone like you? Your just not my type darling, sorry to break it too you.”

It hurts.

How dumb could I have been to actually think that he, likes me! He was playing me! Just for pure fun and a couple of bills from his friends.

I was worth just a bet too him.

“Yo Chin-Hwa, let’s go man! We got to go!”

He dosen’t even spare me second glance as he turns away. I feel broken, betrayed and most importantly hurt. As much as I try I can’t help the single tears streaming down my face. I feel dizzy and I’m losing balance.

I feel a pair of small feminine arms support me from the back, and I see Mina looking at me with a great deal of sympathy in her eyes.

“Before you start crying to me Areum, you need to go and slap him across the face, because if you don’t your going to regret it.”

She’s right. I can’t just let him leave without me doing anything.

“Y-yah Chin-Hwa!”

I wipe my face with my sleeves and walk towards him. He stops walking and turns around smirking at me.

I get closer and closer to him, stepping into his personal space. Fooling him into the wrong idea.

“Oh Areum, coming back for more I see?”

SLAP!

I put all my effort into that one slap. It hits him so hard he tumbles back and hit the floor. He looks at me with disbelief and I smile upon noticing the prominent red mark from my hand on his face. He holds his cheek in pain and glares at me.

But I don’t leave without the last word.

“Karma is a isn’t it Chin-Hwa?”

I turn and walk away, Mina is waiting for me close by. She quickly approaches me and leads me to my car.

“Areum are you okay?!”

Okay? I’m not okay. In fact as much as I want to hate him, my poor little heart is broken and it aches for him.

How could he do this to me.

It’s too much. The pain I’m feeling is unbearable. I’m still hurting from the events yesterday and today really put the cherry on top.

I’m not sad. I’m devastated.

Mina looks at me with worried eyes but to be honest I don’t have energy to talk and go through a therapy session with her. I open my car door and give her one last look.

“Thanks for your concern Mina, but I really just need to go home.”

“O-okay.”

I slam the door shut and race out of that school parking lot. Once I’m certain that I am far enough, I let it all out. The tears pour out and it’s so blurry that it’s not even safe for me to drive anymore. I pull over to the side and park under a big tree.

I was there for hours. The tears never seemed to stop, every time I believed it was over, a fresh waterfall decided to come and ruin my plans.

What did I do to deserve this.

The night sky turns dark and I finally start to make my way home again. The streets of Seoul are peaceful at this time. I roll my windows open to allow some fresh air to come in.

Never have I ever felt as empty as I do now. I guess what people say about me is true. Drama loves to stick to me. But that’s just me I guess, whether you like it or not.

I’m feeling the not part at this moment.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~