Chapter 10

Glory days and ways

Chapter 10

Areum POV

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ring ring ring...

The loud sound of my alarm awakens me. The sun isn’t completely out yet so my room is still dark. I grab my phone and press the snooze button on my alarm clock. Pressing the home button, I gasp at the date.

Its Halloween and I totally forgot.

Immediately I sit up and I’m now fully awake. All my sleepiness from before is gone. Its currently 6:21am and I have about one hour to some how make an extremely last-minute costume for school. At our school there is only a hand full of days during the school year where uniform is not required, and Halloween is one of them. Students take full advantage and wear the craziest costumes.

I have no time to waste. Basically, throwing my covers on the floor I sprint to the bathroom quickly wash my face and brush my teeth/hair. I finish in record time and run all the way back to my room, throwing open my closet doors.

I scan through my clothes and try to figure out something.

Should I try this on? Nah to basic.

Hmmm, no not this.

Oh! this should work!

Last year when I had went shopping I bought a Greek goddess and an angel costume. I ended up being the angle and completely forgot that I even had this goddess costume. This is the first time I have seen it in months! Excited, I pull open the wrapping and take out the long sleeveless dress. Its was a very light creme/white colour and had a typical Greek embroidery at the bottom. A piece of sheer cloth was attached from the back all the way to my wrists to form an elegant "butterfly wing" look. In a separate wrapper I see the head pieces but before I do that I think it would be smart to do my hair and makeup first. To make the look sophisticated I decide to straighten my hair. As for my makeup I tried to keep it simple yet stunning. I used natural shades and did a sparkly gold eye shadow. I kept it natural looking for my lips as well, I just chose a neutral pink tinted lip gloss.

Satisfied with all that, I continue to put on the delicate head jewelry and multiple rings and bracelets that really complete the look. I had finished everything except for my shoes. Since this is the goddess look I choose to wear the classic brown strappy Greek sandals.

I look in the mirror and smile. I look pretty good for a really last-minute costume! I grab my usual bag for school then stop. It completely ruins the vibe of this costume! Remembering that I have a large creme purse I dig through my closet once again. Once I finish switching all the contents from one bag to another I am finally done getting ready for the day.

I realized I haven’t checked the time since I woke up. I nervously turn around my hand flies all the way to my mouth and my eyes read the time on my clock. Its 8:03! Class starts in less then half an hour and I haven’t even had breakfast or started driving yet!

Skipping breakfast is not an option for me because I am always hungry in the morning. I decide that it is probably better to just go through a drive thru and get come coffee and a bagel.

Running down the stairs, I nearly trip because of the long fabric of my dress. Without bothering to peek into the kitchen and say bye to my parents or Donghyuk and Min. I throw open the front door and sprint to my car. I glance at the time again. 8:06. Wasting no time, I turn on the engine and make my way to school the fastest I can without getting into an accident.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I’m walking up the stairs to English. I went and got my bagel which is in my purse and a coffee that I’m holding in my left hand. My English textbook was in my locker, so I had to stop my there too. Glancing at on of the clocks in the hallway I groan when I realize that class started 10 minutes ago. I hate being late.

Turning the corner, I am now right in front of my classroom. Since the lesson has begun the door was closed. I pat down my hair a bit because of all the running I had done earlier and nervously knock on the door three times.

Knock

Knock

Knock

I can hear Mrs. Kim stop speaking and the room is silent. The click-clack sounds on her heels are getting closer. I hear her hand turn the knob and I in my breath as she opens the door.

“Oh Areum! Why are you late dear?

“I’m sorry for being late Mrs. Kim. I just completely lost track of time this morning.”

“That all right! Just try to be on time next time! Also, great costume!"

“Thanks Mrs. Kim!”

She opens the door wider allowing me too come in. I can feel everyone’s eyes on me. Before I walk down the aisle to my desk Mrs. Kim calls my name again.

“Areum!”

I walk towards her and she places a chocolate bar in my hand.

“Happy Halloween!”

I giggle.

“Thanks Mrs. Kim!”

As I walk towards my desk I see that everyone is dressed in in various costume. I make eye contact with Chin-Hwa and he gives me a wink. Surprised by the sudden gesture I just give him a small smile in return. Once I reach my spot beside the girls I put all my stuff down and take a good look at there costumes. Mi-Hee had a winnie the pooh costume on. Eunseo was a bee, and Jisoo was an angel.

“You guys look cute!”

They all smile at me.

“You too Areum!”

“Alright class, settle down we are going to continue our lesson from before. I would like you to open your textbooks and turn to page 104!”

Groans and complaints are heard from around the classroom. I mean its Halloween. No one want to do work today!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The lunch bell rings. I quickly make my way from my third period class all the way to the parking lot where I was set to meet Chin-Hwa. I look down at my outfit and realize I’m wearing a costume! How am I going to go out for lunch wearing this! I look at my phone and see a text message from Jisoo. Shoot! I forgot to text the girls.

Ehhh… should I tell them?

No. I’m not ready. But what should I say? Think of something Areum! Think! Think!

I click on our group chat and make up a random lie.

Areum: Hey girls, I’m not going to be here at lunch today, I forgot my Korean studies homework at home and you know how crazy that teacher is.

Jisoo: Aww. Fine :(

Eunseo: :(

Mi-Hee: :(

Ugh, I feel bad. Before I could think any further, I feel a hand on my shoulder.

“Hey Areum.”

Turning around, I see Chin-Hwa standing behind me with a smile (which is rare). He was dressed as a ninja. I can’t help but laugh every time I see his costume.

“What? What’s wrong?” He says confused.

“You look funny!” I say continuing to giggle.

“Hmm I though I looked pretty good.”

“Uhh I guess so.” I say playfully.

Chin-Hwa laughs and opens the car door and I do the same on my side. He turns on the engine and starts backing out.

“So, were do you exactly plan for us too eat lunch while we are wearing Halloween costumes?”

“You will see Areum, I hope you like sea food!”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The car ride was short it only took us about 10 minutes to drive to where we are now. The place was cute. The parking lot was on main land and you had to cross a bridge that had a nice flowing river of water underneath to get to the front door of the store.

“Chin-Hwa, this place is so cute! Where did you find out about this!?”

“I have my ways.”

He smirks and starts walking towards the entrance which I quickly follow. We enter the restaurant and immediately smile. The booths were designed in a way that made this place look so fancy. The cushions looked incredibly soft with velvet coloured fabric traced with a gold edges. The floors had a simple brown design with large windows that gave you a great view of the near bodies of water.

A waitress greets us and brings us to our seats. I sit down and take in the environment around me. I felt so…relaxed. The restaurants surrounding were just so cozy and peaceful with the large windows giving us amazing views. The waitress gives us our menus and leaves. We were quite while looking through the menu, both of us carefully trying to pick the best option. When I finally pick what I want, I fold the menu back up and place it back on the table. I glance at Chin-Hwa and see that he had already picked his.

“Areum, that took you a very long time.”

“Well! It was a big menu!”

He playfully rolls his eyes.

“Are you ready to place your order?”

Chin-Hwa gives the waitress a kind look.

“Yes we are.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The main course was great. They cook had made the food right in front of us! The food was made so simple yet so delicious. I didn’t know that Chin-Hwa was so funny. I laughed more in the last 30 minutes then I have in the last month!

The waitress comes towards out table once again with menus but this time they were much smaller.

“If you weren’t aware our restaurant has a Halloween special where you get a free dessert for wearing a Halloween costume! So, what would you too like to get?

I look at Chin-Hwa and he is just smirking at me. I burst out laughing.

“Yah Chin-Hwa! Is this why you wanted to bring me here?”

He starts to smile.

“Well ya I thought it would be cute. We spent our first lunch date in our Halloween costumes and get a free dessert for it.”

I don’t know why but I just thought it was so funny, I kept laughing and laughing.

Soon, Chin-Hwa can’t help it either and joins in with my endless laughter. Our sounds of happiness echo the restaurant and I wish I could pause this moment for forever.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~