Chapter 14

Glory days and ways

Chapter 14

Areum POV

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1 week later

I wake up to the sight of an unfamiliar room. Then I remember where I am. A hotel room.

In order to be here in time for our competition in Jeju we had to leave yesterday. The trip wasn’t too long but we arrived late at night. The other families had arrived around the same time as us and are staying in the same hotel.

Our competition begins at 6 and its currently 10:23. I grab my phone and tell the girls to meet me in the lobby for breakfast in 10 minutes.

I go to the washroom and quickly wash up. I let out a big sigh. There was so denying it, I was nervous. Furiously, I brush my teeth with all my strength and anger. I’m mad at myself for being so anxious. This always happens to me during competition days and I hate the feeling of anxiety and nervousness I get.

I don’t put much time into getting ready. I slip on a pair of black tights, a white tank top, blue track jacket, and throw my hair into a messy but cute bun. I decide to skip on the makeup because I am going to be putting on lots later for my competition.

I grab my pair of white converse and my phone then make my way to the lobby. Once I enter I see most people from our team and their parents are already eating.

“Morning Areum!”

“Good morning!”

“So, Mrs. Park sent a message to all of our parents saying that she wants all of us at the competition center at 3:00pm sharp.”

“She also said that all the costumes came in and there with her.”

“Alright! Let’s eat now, I’m starving!”

“Remember girls we have to eat food with lots of protein!”

We stand in line in front of the buffet table. My mouth waters at the sight off all the delicious looking foods. I take some scrambled eggs, toast, apple slices, and a mini cinnamon bun.

I set my plate on our table then realise I forgot a beverage.

“Where are the drinks?”
“There on the far table over there.” Says Mi-Hee who points too a table in the far corner.

Quickly, I make my way towards that direction and grab a bottle of orange juice. I sit back down at the table and Jisoo laughs at me.

“I told you guys she would get orange juice! She’s obsessed!”

“What! It’s go good I can’t resist!”

“Hey, we should be happy she didn’t pick up another coffee.” Adds Eunseo.

“Oh my gosh! Do you remember when Areum was obsessed with coffee in 9th grade?! She would drink it every day!”

“Oh shut up!” I scoff. “Just hurry and eat your food before it gets cold!”

“Yes mother.”

They all laugh and I roll my eyes.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Mom! Dad! we’re going to be late! Let’s go!”

I pull at my hair in frustration. It’s currently 2:32 and we have to be and the convention center at 3:00pm sharp.

Everyone else from my team has already left but I’m here sitting in a corner waiting for my parents. Apparently, they are trying to find the camera, but I don’t understand why they just can’t use their phones to record or take pictures.

“Ah! I found it honey!” Screams my mother.

“Okay!”

“Alright! Let’s go! Palli palli!”

I basically run to the car with my huge dance bag and throw it into the back. Everyone quickly piles into the car and my dad starts driving right away.

“Areum, how are you feeling about the competition?” Asks Min with warm eyes.

“Anxious, nervous and of course terrified.”

“Wah?! Terrified, Areum dear you will do great! I know it!”

“Thanks Min unnie.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Its 3:15 when we arrive to the convention center. We are late. I waste no times once my dad parks the car. I jump out of the car grab my bag and run into the convention center.

“Areum! Hold up!” Calls my mom.

“I’m late! I have to go!”

Forgetting about my family I enter the building and run around like a freak trying to find the dressing room with our studios name on it.

My eyes widen once I finally find the door and I burst into the room. Everyone turns around and looks at me and Mrs. Park is giving me a look.

It’s not a good one.

“Areum! Why are you nearly 20 minutes late!?

“Well, m-my mom and d-dad were tr-“

“Enough! Since your already dressed in yoga wear I need to stand over there and start stretching while you listen to what I have to say to everyone.”

“Okay.”

I place my bag in a corner and quickly make my way to the area that Mrs. Park instructed me too and start stretching.

“Alright students, listen up! We didn’t travel all the way to Jeju to lose okay? You all are here because you are talented dancers and have the potential to be much more. I believe in you all and I want you guys to really show what you have out there.”

We nod our heads in agreement.

“Until about 4:00pm I want everyone to be lightly stretching and doing yoga to warm up your body and flexibility skills. After that, girls I want you to get started with your small group makeup and hair styling. That should take a while, so after you are done that, get dressed in your costumes and lightly run your group performance twice. “

Mrs. Park turns her head to me.

“Areum, you are our only soloist this time around, so I need you to listen closely. Right after your small group is done you need to come straight back in here so you can get yourself ready for you solo costume, makeup and hair. The look is quite different from your group so you need all the time you can get.”

“As you all are already aware, our two female small groups are competing in the same dance category. I will be content with whatever team gets first but I need you all to know that first place and second place better be you guys. You must be the top two teams to win in the category.”

“For my boys, I have high expectations for you, your my only boy group that is able to be at advanced level like this. I am expecting a definite win for you.”

“But make sure to have fun and show your full potential on that stage! Now enough talk! Lets get stretching!”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Are you all ready to go?”

I take one last look at my reflection in the mirror. My costume was perfect. It was a pink high-low dress with jewels and a sweetheart neckline with thin straps. The girls had matching costumes but in different colours. Mine was pink, Mi-Hee’s was blue, Eunseo’s green, and Jisoo’s orange. Our makeup was a dreamlike soft look. We used eyeshadow and lip colours that matched our individual dress colours. Our hair was put into low sleek buns and to top it off, we all used small white flowers to accessorize our buns.

I feel a hand on my shoulder and I turn around.

It’s my mother.

“Areum, I know I should not be back here, but I want to wish you good luck. I love you.”

Shocked from the sudden affection I shy away.

“Thanks mom.”

“Alright dancers let’s go!”

My mom looks at me one more time and pulls me in for a hug. I slowly return her embrace and stay silent. Her breath tickles my ear and she whispers into it.

“Your going to do great Areum. I believe in you.”

I smile at her comforting words then quickly catch up with the rest of the girls.

“I think were on next.” Whispers Eunseo.

I look at her with wide eyes, not expecting to be on stage so soon.

Ladies and gentlemen, please welcome our next small group that will be performing “Lullabies” By Yuna.

I let out a big sigh and turn to the side of the stage, making eye contact with Chin-Hwa.

He looks at me with warm eyes and gives me a smile. Before I could smile back Eunseo nudges me.

“Areum let’s go!”

We get into formation and walk onto the stage and pose, waiting to start.

The first note plays and all four of us immediately spring into action

Here we go.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I quickly make my way back to our dressing room and start taking off my makeup. I smile, we just killed that performance. No one made a mistake, it was the best we have ever done that song.

Even though I’m happy about that, I’m not done yet. I have to focus on getting ready for my solo. My look is much more different.

The colours of my solo costume are black and gold. For my makeup I keep the look simple, except I do a gold shimmery eye look with winged eyeliner.

Before I move onto my hair, I slip into my costume. I turn to look in the mirror and gasp.

The costume had a lace high neck that continued all the way to my wrists. There was a sweet heart neckline that was visible through the lace material. The costume was a two piece, so the bottom was a short skirt with jewels under it was a pair of black short shorts. As for my hair I had a crown that was secured with a tight low bun.

“Oh my gosh.”

I turn around and see the girls at the door.

“Areum…you look beautiful!”

I smile and give them all hugs.

“We did amazing on stage.” I say to them

“You will do even better!” Replies Mi-Hee with a thumbs up.

“C’mon let’s go backstage so you can be ready when you are called up.”

I take in a deep breath and take a moment to think everything through.

“Alright, let’s go!”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Ladies and gentlemen please welcome our last soloist of the night, Areum! Performing “Almost Lover”

(Authors note: Chloe Lukasiak | "Almost Lover" by Jasmine Thompson…. That is the name of the video that I imagine Areum dancing too. Just copy paste the title into youtube. The dance starts at around 30 seconds and give some positive support in the comments because the dance was really well done!)

I finish the dance and end off with my final pose. The crowd erupts into applause and I can’t help but smile. I elegantly exit the stage and wait for someone I know to show up.

“Areum!”

I turn around and see the boys walking towards me.

“ That was great Areum! Good job!” Says Dae-Jung giving me a pat on the back.

“ Ya you did great Areum.” Adds Chin-Hwa.

“Thanks!”

“AREUM!”

I turn around and see the girls running towards me, and next thing I know there engulfing me in hugs.

“You did so good love!”

“You looked so elegant!”

“Definitely one of your best solo’s so far!”

I smile at all there positive comments

“Thanks everyone!”

“Alright can we have all dancers come to the stage immediately for the award ceremony. All dancers please make your way to the stage immediately. "

“C’mon let’s go guys! We don’t want to be late!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We cheer and clap for the boys. They got first place for there category and their division.

“Now announcing the top two awards for teen girl contemporary category, in second place we have “Summer time sadness””

Mina’s group gets up and accept their award.

“Now for the first place in teen girl contemporary and the winners of their division…drumroll please!”

Boom boom boom boom boom boom boom boom boom

““Lullabies”!”

We gasp and smile. Quickly, we get up and receive our award and bow towards the crowd.

“Alright, Now moving on to the first place winner for teen girl solo, first place goes to…..Areum with “Almost Lover””

I did it! I get up and receive my award with much pride and satisfaction. I can see my family in the crowd and my mom talking pictures with her camera. The crowd continues to cheer and I’m smiling so hard my mouth begins to slightly hurt.

Today is a good day.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After the award ceremony we celebrated in the dressing room with treats and photos. Were heading back home tomorrow evening so we have some time to relax and have fun in Jeju. I grab my dance bag and coat and begin to exit the room, but a buzzing sound stops me.

I dig through my bag, and grab my phone. My eyebrows furrow once I see a message from Chin-Hwa.

Meet me outside at the back of the building, I’m waiting for you.

Confused, I quickly type back a message

Waiting for me? What for?

I wait for a reply and slowly start to walk towards the back door. Soon, my phone beeps again.

Please Areum, just come.

I slip my phone into my jacket pocket and walk faster to the back door. Once I reach it I slowly open the door and find Chin-Hwa waiting for me at a bench.

“Oh u-uh hey Chin-Hwa.”

“Hey Areum.”

“So, u-uh what did you call me here for?”

“What I can’t just talk to you?”

“Hmm just seems a little suspicious, you don’t seem like the type of guy who just wants to talk.”

He lets out a small laugh.

“Ouch Areum, that hurt.”

“They say the truth hurts!”

This time we both laugh.

“Good job on your group performance today!” I say.

“Ah thanks, you did good too.”

“Thanks!”

There is a moment of silence before Chin-Hwa clears his throat and starts speaking again.

“ Areum, you’re a great girl, and honestly I’m so stupid to not have realised it in the past. Your funny, pretty and have a great sassy attitude that’s hard not to like.”

I gulp, anticipating his next words.

“You’re a beautiful dancer and honestly I want to be able to call you mine. Areum….will you go out with me?”

I gasp slightly.

This is strange.

Chin-Hwa just asked me out

Chin-Hwa?!

The Chin-Hwa that I have been hating on for like all my life.

But crushing on at the same time?!
The schools heart throb?!

Didn’t he just get over Mina too!?

Areum! Don’t over think it! This is your chance!

“U-uh ye-es. Yes, Chin-Hwa, I say yes!”

He lets out a wide smile.

Beep beep beep.

Chin-Hwa looks at his phone and his eyes slightly widen and he groans.

“Oh, shoot my mom is sending me angry texts wondering where I am. I got to go, I will talk to you tomorrow Areum!”

He turns around and grabs his stuff but before he leaves he leans in and gives me an unexpected kiss on the cheek.

I gasp at his sudden gesture and he just simply winks at me.

“Y-yah C-Chin-Hwa!”

“See you tomorrow Areum!”

With that, he was gone. I touch the side of my cheek. I can’t believe he just…just

Kissed me.

Realizing that I have been standing outside for too long, I make my way indoors with a smile plastered to my face.

“Areum! There you are! Where did you go? We have been looking for you everywhere!” Cries my mother.

“Oh, I was just busy, handling some…things.”

“She was probably giving out like autographs for something by the back door! Everyone wants a piece of Areum!”

Mi-Hee laughs at her joke and the other girls join in. I look at them with my never leaving smile.

“Ya, I guess you could say that.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~