Chapter 11

Glory days and ways

Chapter 11

Areum POV

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

While I'm driving my way to the studio I smirk as I reflect on the earlier events of my day. Somehow, Chin-Hwa and I made it in time for our classes after lunch. I was such in a good mood for the rest of the day not even my Korean studies class could bring me down. Dance club was chill too. Since it was Halloween and we were all wearing costumes and our teacher didn’t make us change. Instead we kind of just freestyled to Halloween classics! The best part is none of our teachers gave us homework tonight! So, I’m free after I come back from dance class tonight.

I was disappointed when I heard of no Halloween parties this year. We usually have one for our grade and it gets super crazy. But Halloween is on a Monday this year, and no one is going to party on Monday night. We could have done it on Sunday, the day before, but it wouldn’t be the same and we would probably all be hungover for school.

Once I see the sign of my dance studio I make a turn and park in the parking lot. Grabbing my dance bag, I go straight for the studio instead of the café because I am still full from lunch!

Walking past the café window I see the girls getting ready to eat. I get close and smack the window making a weird face. They all jump and shriek a bit. Especially Jisoo who gets scared very easily. I laugh at there reactions and there just staring at me in horror. Before they could all get up from there spots and come beat me up right there and then, I make a quick escape to the studio doors.

For some reason everyone is early today. I see the boys stretching in the corner and Mina and her “friends” talking and taking selfies. Quietly, I enter the change room and switch to appropriate dance attire. For me to be fully stretched I usually take about 10-15 minutes and since I have that extra time I stand in a spot in the back of the room, put in some head phones and began to stretch.

I can feel someone’s eyes on me, so I turn around and make eye contact with Chin-Hwa. All his friends are looking at me as well. Before I can smile, Chin-Hwa turns away and continues talking to his friends.

That was weird. Why did he ignore me?

Shaking the thought off I see Eunseo, Mi-Hee and Jisoo walk in. Forgetting about my stretching I jog to follow them into the change room.

Once they notice my presence they greet me and we all sit down on the bench. Jisoo then has a excited look on her face and speaks up.

“Okay guys! I was thinking that this weekend we should have a sleepover at my house. My parents are gone for the weekend and aren’t coming back until early Monday morning!”

“Hell ya! Let’s do it!” I answer.

We all cheer in excitement. We haven’t had a sleepover in a while and they are always super fun. We all enjoy going to Jisoo’s place the best because her house is just so fun!

“So how about we make sure we finish all of our homework and projects Friday night then we just chill and have fun and do crazy things on the weekend!”

“Oh I have and idea! We could go shopping together Saturday morning!”

“Ahh yes! I have been wanting to go shopping for so long now!” Says Eunseo.

“The grand opening for that huge mall was like two weeks ago and still none of us have went yet.”

“Soooo I think we found out were we are going Saturday morning!”

We laugh and giggle in joy.

“This is going to be so much fun” Says Mi-Hee.

“Oh, before I forget, don’t forget your swimsuits!” Adds Jisoo.

“Ugh if only Saturday was sooner.” Grumbles Eunseo.

“Well this is the only thing that is going to get me through this week!” Exclaims Mi-Hee.

“Yup! This is going to be a weekend we won’t forget!”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I just got home from dance class and it was not what I expected. Even though it was Halloween we worked ourselves to the core practising. The competition date is near, and Mrs. Park was playing no games.

Sweaty and tired as hell I decide to unwind with a calming bath. I turned the faucet all the way to make sure hot steamy water was filling the bath. In the mean time I quickly got undressed put on a robe and grabbed a nice book to read.

You didn’t expect that right? Areum and reading? I know it must sound surprising, but I do like to cozy down with a good book occasionally.

I turn the faucet off once the bathtub was filled and I step into the steamy hot water. I sigh as I finally relax my tense muscles and let them rest from all the vigorous dancing I had done earlier. I lean my head back on the edge of the tub and just slowly breath in and out. Random thoughts going in and out of my brain.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Since Min and Donghyuk have been staying here, my mother has been cooking pretty good stuff every night. Entering the dinner room, I see that an extra chair has been added to the table. Walking further into the kitchen I see Hana, Min and my mom preparing the dinner table. My father and my brother were cleaning the living room. Min is the first one to notice me and gives me a warm welcome.

“Oh hello Areum! How was your day at school dear?”

I smile. Remembering all the great things.

“For once I can actually genuinely say that I had a pretty good day at school.”

“That’s wonderful!”

“Areum honey, your father and I got an extra chair, so we could all eat together as a family!”

“Oh cool, are we eating soon?”

“Yes, just in a couple of minutes.”

The kitchen looked like it had enough helpers so I take my spot at the dinner table.

Finally, my mom brings the steaming pots on the table. The food was just freshly made and tastes delicious. For once, I finally felt that feeling of having a happy family. I look around and see everyone look so happy with each other. We had all had a smile on our faces, mine shinning the most.

I see Donghyuk smile at me from the other side of the table.

“Well, well Areum, I donk think I'v seen you smile so bright since that time Mom had finally bought you those Minnie mouse earrings that you kept nagging her about in grade four.” Donghyuk says with a small laugh.

I giggle at the memory. “I did give you a hard time didn’t I mom?”

My mom starts to laugh too. “Uh yes you did! You even emailed me at school saying that they was a sale on them!”

The whole table then erupts into laughter. If it's even possible I manage to smile even more then I had before. Because I had felt a true feeling of...

Happiness.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After dinner everyone helped clean the kitchen. There was someone washing dishes, someone drying dishes, sweeping the floor, wiping counters etc.

“Hana, Areum do you girls have homework tonight?”

“No, i'm free!” Answers Hana.

“Same!”

“Well then why don’t we pull out some card games and enjoy a family game night.

“Its been a long time since I have done one of those!” Comments Min.

“We don’t really do them much, to be honest.” Replies Hana.

“Ya, I mean we are usually dying from homework.” I say with an eye roll.

“Very true.” Agrees Hana with a giggle.

I look at her and she gives me a small smile which I return.

“Alright! I will grab the board games!” Says my very enthusiastic father.

My mom turns and look at me.

“Areum.”

“Yes?”
“Your dance competition is on the 15th right?”

“Yup in Jeju!”

“Woah that’s cool!” Exclaims Min”
“Would you like to come Min? Its Areum first competition of the season. We are all going.”

“Of course! I always wanted to dance, but I never got the opportunity.”

“I found the board games!” Shouts my dad from across the house.

I hear him jogging down the stairs and into the kitchen.

“Alright so the games we have ar-

Ding dong.

“Trick or treat!”

“Oh my goodness! I completely forgot it was Halloween, and that we had to hand out candy!” Exclaims my mother.

Ding dong.

“Were coming! Were coming!”

“Hana, Areum do you want to hand out the candy?!”

Me and Hana look at each other and answer at the same time.

“Sure”

“Okay good! Now hurry go change!”

Me and Hana laugh as we run up the stairs and quickly change into our costumes as fast as we can so that we don't get a group of unhappy children.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~