Chapter 16

Glory days and ways

Chapter 16

Areum POV

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I park my car, grab my school bag, and walk towards the front entrance.

Unfortunately, our trip ended and we’re now back to school. Holding my favourite homemade ice coffee drink, I take small but frequent sips to keep me awake.

Something feels weird.

I notice myself constantly making awkward eye contact with students, wait..are they whispering about me?!

Trying to ignore the commotion, I keep my head straight and quickly make my way to my locker.

4, 18, 32

Success!!

I manage to unlock my locker in one go! That’s a first! I grab my textbooks for my morning classes while humming a random tune.

“Hey Areum.”

Startled, I accidently drop my books on the floor and then hear laughter. I whip my head around and see Jisoo laughing at me.

“Yah! You’re the one who scared me! You could at least help me pick it up!”

Still laughing, Jisoo crouches down and grabs my English textbook for me.

 "I didn't think you would get scared that easily!"

"Ugh whatever!"

I clear my throat and whisper my next words.

“I’v been getting weird looks since I came today.”

Jisoo smile is wiped off her face and she leans in closer.

“Why?”

“I don’t know! That’s what I’m trying to figure out!”

A moment passes then a look of realization crosses through Jisoo’s face. I notice it and question her.

“Yah, why do you look like you have figured something out! Tell me!”

Jisoo looks down at her feet and avoids eye contact with me.

“Ya Jisoo! Tell me!”

She looks up and me and answers in a quiet tone.

“I think its because your dating Chin-Hwa.”

I’m so stupid, how could I have not thought of this earlier. My shoulders sink, and I turn my head, only to make even more awkward eye contact with students.

I should have known that this was coming my way.

The 5 minute warning bell rings and interrupts my thoughts. I glance and Jisoo and she’s giving me a pitiful look.

“Don’t worry about them Areum! There just jealous!”

I take a deep breath and slam my locker door shut.

“C’mon let’s go to English before we are late!”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It’s lunch time. Nothing to dramatic has happened but the whispering has continued. I’m walking down the hallway to go to Eunseo’s locker. I see her little bundle of  brown hair and I increase my pace to get to her quicker.

“Hey Eunse-“

“Well, well, look who it is. Seoul high’s hot topic at the moment! Areum, how does it feel to be the center of attention?”

I turn around and I’m greeted by the last person I would want to see at this moment.

Mina.

She’s starring down at me with cold eyes and she has a cocky smirk on her face.

I roll my eyes at her and ignore her and open my mouth to speak to Eunseo but Mina interrupts once again.

“Ah so just because your dating Chin-Hwa you now think your so cool and that you can ignore whoever you want?”

Shes getting on my nerves and I can’t help but snarl a comment at her.

“Well it just sounds to me like your jealous, because from what I heard, he is the one that dumped you.”

I flash of hurt goes through Mina’s eyes, then shock and lastly anger.

“You have no idea what your in for Areum.” She sneers at me.

“I mean as long as you’re not there to harass me every step of the way, then I think I should be good!”

Mina looks taken aback by my comments and I can't help but have a small smile on my face once I realize that I shut her down once again.

“Eunseo let’s go, the girls are waiting for us!”

Without looking back, we link arms and giggle as we make our way to the cafeteria to meet up with the rest of our group and finally fill our hungry stomachs!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“I’m going to die!”

We turn and all look at Mi-Hee who is clutching her stomach and is making pained expressions.

“Did you eat breakfast?”

“My breakfast was half an avocado because that’s all I had time for!”

We sympathize and pat her back for support.

“Ah it’s okay, look! Its our time to order!”

Mi-Hee turns around and starts spitting out food names to the cafeteria lady. I try to hold in my laughter, but the scene is just too funny.

The cafeteria lady looks at her like she’s crazy but Mi-Hee could care less.

After we got our food Mi-Hee practically runs to our table and immediately starts scarfing down her plate of food.

“Yah Mi-Hee slow down! Your going to choke!”

She slows down but is still eating at a rate that’s too fast.

“May we sit?”

I look up and see Chin-Hwa, Hyuk, Dae-Jung, and Jung standing by our table waiting to be seated.

“Of course!”

We move over and make room for the boys to sit down. Chin-Hwa, sits beside me of course. I look around and I see the numerous pairs of eyes glaring at me. Feeling self conscious I lower my head and pull into myself.

“Hey Areum.”

I look at Chin-Hwa and I’m greeted by such a dazzling smile, I forget to breath.

Oh my.

I stumble for a second to long but reply.

“Hey!”

“You look great today.”

I scoff at his comment.

“I look disgusting today.”

His eyes flash and emotions through them. Was it pity? Sadness? Regret? He clears his throat and speaks again.

“Areum, you look amazing.”

I put my fork down and look straight at him. The sincerity in his voice sounded so…genuine. Our table went silent and look at the two of us.

A blush forms on my cheek from all the attention and I manage to mumble a quiet “Thank you.”

Clap!

Startled by the sudden I see Jisoo with she hands clapped together looking happy as ever. She leans in and starts talking to Chin-Hwa.

“Omo! Chin-Hwa that was the cutest thing ever! It was like a scene out of a k-drama!”

We all laugh.

“Yah Jisoo you look like one of those crazy fangirls.”

We laugh some more but I can’t stop once I see Mi-Hee still speed eating. Tears form around my eyes and I can’t breath.

“Ya Areum what’s so funny?”

I can’t talk so all I do is point to Mi-Hee. The girls instantly get it and starts laughing as well.

All the guys are confused, but there is us just dying of laughter in the cafeteria with not a care in the world.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The rest of my day was pretty bland. I finish getting all my stuff out of my locker and I’m making my way too the parking lot.

“Excuse me.”

I turn around and find myself looking and a small group of students who have flyers in their hands. They boy with the glasses starts to speak.

“Hi, your Areum right?”

“Yes, and you?”

“Jisung.”

There is a moment of silence, then Jisung speaks again.

“I’m here to promote a club here at Seoul high. We have an activity called ARTS club that’s runs after school till about 10 o’clock every day. It’s unique because students can come in during whatever time works out for them and use this time to express their feelings and make beautiful art that defines them.”

I have already lost interest. I blank out from what he is saying and look around me trying too see if I can catch any of the girls.

“Areum?”

“Oh y-ya?”

“Were you even listening to what I said?”

“O-of course!”

Jisung gives me a skeptical look and grabs a flyer.

“Well if you ever decide to drop in, all the information about this club in in here.”

“Oh- um thanks.”

“Hope to see you there.” He says in a very unenthusiastic voice.

Jisung turns around before I can say bye and is already walking away.

Alright then.

I don’t even look at the flyer I just shove it in my school bag and continue with leaving the school doors. I catch the girls in the parking lot and start talking.

“Hey what took you so long?” Asks Jisoo.

“Oh well some guy named Jisung, who somehow knows me started talking about ARTS club and if I was interested. He gave me a flyer too.”

“Sounds interesting.” Says Jisoo in a sarcastic tone.

“Okay let’s hurry before we are late to dance!” Nags Eunseo.

Yes! Let’s go!”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Since we were running a bit late on time we decided to not get food and just go straight into the studio. We all quickly change, and I get dressed into dark blue tights with a fitted black t-shirt. Checking the time, I realise that class is starting soon. The girls and I get out of the change room and start stretching.

“Alright! I see that all of you are here. Did all of you return safely from the trip?”

Mrs. Park comes out and greets us with a smile. She looks extra happy today.

“Come and sit in the middle guys, there is some stuff I want to discuss.”

Making our way to the middle, we sit down and find comfortable spots.

“Okay, So I just wanted to say that I am very pleased with the competition results. You guys placed well and came out in the highest possible places for your divisions. Our next competition isn’t for a while, so we have time to be even better then we already are. To congratulate our win, instead of having a hard class we’re going to have a pizza party!”

The room erupts into cheers an we begin thanking Mrs.Park.

“Ah don’t thank me! You students deserve it!”

The pizza comes in and we all dive in and munch on our well deserved treat.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~