Chapter 19

Glory days and ways

Chapter 19

Areum POV

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I stare at my reflection in the mirror and I apply my final coat of pink lip gloss. I grab my pink handbag and zip up my black booties. I'm ready to go!

Where am I going you may ask? To the mall!

Christmas time is nearing so I’m taking the time today to complete all my gift shopping. Finishing it today would also give me the opportunity to avoid my parents from asking questions about yesterday.

It’s been a day since the embarrassing incident and the car ride home was brutally quiet. Everyone found out including all the boy’s and girl's parents, Yerim and her parents, and my siblings/Min. They asked limited questions because they could tell I was pissed.

Shaking the negative thought out of my mind, I head down the stairs and head straight to the kitchen to grab a bagel.

I set my bag on the counter and grab the crème cheese from the fridge. I slowly spread the cheese all over the baked bagel. My ears perk up as I hear footsteps enter the kitchen, but I continue to focus on my food.

“Morning Areum.”

I turn, and see my older brother entering the kitchen.

“Morning.”

I place the dirty knife into the sink and munch on my bagel. Donghyuk clears his throat and throws awkward glances at me.

“S-so uh, Areum, you and Chin-Hwa?”

“Hmm.”

“How did you manage to meet up with him the other night?”

“You don’t need to know.”

“Areum I’m your older brother, I do need to know.”

I quickly shove the last bits of my breakfast in my mouth so that I can make a hasty retreat to dodge his questions. Grabbing my purse, I make my way across the kitchen floor, but I don’t leave without turning back and answering Donghyuk.

“You know what they say Donghyuk, curiosity killed the cat."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I walk out of the store happily sipping my bubble tea. My holiday shopping officially starts now! I walk passed young moms with tiny children and groups of grade school girls. Out of the corner of my eye, a fancy bag store which I assume is new because I have never seen it before catches my eye. Walking inside my eyes widen at the sight of all the various handbags and clutches. A rack of special intricate designed clutches perks my interest and I stride over to it.

Its perfect.

There were about 10 different colours and designed. I think about the favourite colour of everyone I know and choose a clutch according to that. I grab a green one for Eunseo, blue for Mi-Hee, Pink for Jisoo, and a red one for myself so that we could all be matching. Satisfied with my findings, I proceed to the checkout to pay.

After that, I go to the photography store for the second part of my gifts to them. I was planning to print a nice photo that I had taken with each girl and place it in a frame.

“Hello! How may I help you?”

I turn around and see a middle-aged woman greeting me. She was short and had that welcoming motherly glow to her. I bow in respect and greet her back.

“What may I help you with today dear?”

“There are five photos that I would like to develop.”

“Alright, come this way!”

I follow her to the front desk and she asks me for the five photos. I carefully select my individual photos with the girls and a photo of me and Chin-Hwa. I smile once I look at it again. The happiness radiates off our face as we smile into the camera. We were outside when the photo was taken so the natural scenery and our flustered rosy cheeks makes it much more special.”

“Is that your boyfriend?” Asks the women with a smirk.

I immediately smile and a tiny blush forms. I nod my head.

“Aigoo, how cute!”

“Your photos should be ready in about 15 minutes!”

“Okay, thank you!”

I turn around and walk towards the frame section and pick out different ones for every person. Well at least I try too. Picking out the frames was a lot harder then a thought, and time consuming!

“Ms! Your photos are ready!

I hadn’t even realised how long I was taking too pick out just a few simple items. Quickly, I grab whatever I had in front off me and I make my way once again to the front desk to pay for my iteams.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Almost all my gifts had been taken care off. After I paid for my items at the photography shop, I headed towards this small shop and got a new wallet for my dad and donghyuk along with a new cologne for Chin-Hwa. I had also gone and bought special wool traditional patterned scarfs and perfume for my mom, Hana, and Min.

The last stop, was grandma.

I head into the jewelry parlor and struggle with the number of bags that I’m currently carrying. I see a petite female worker come my way as she notices me enter the store.

“Hello! What may I help you with today?”

“Can you direct me straight to the bracelet section?”

“Of course! Follow me.”

We go to the back of the store and the table is literally shining with all the elegant pieces of jewelry.

“Here we are, if you need any more assistance please call me over!”

We both bow in respect then I turn around to begin my bracelet hunting.

“A-areum?!”

I gasp as I make eye contact with the last person I though I would see here.

Mina.

“O-oh u-um hi..”

“W-what are you doing here?”

“Well I’m here for Christmas shopping, and I’m on my last gift.”

“Me too.”

We awkwardly smile and one another. It was weird to have a calm conversation with her as we had always been bickering with one another for many years.

“Well uh should we help each other, because I think we’re both looking specifically in the bracelet area.” She asks with a hint of nervousness in her voice.

I’m taken aback by her unusual request, but I don’t find any harm in assisting each other. “S-sure!”

Surprisingly things went well to the point where we were making each other laugh. Time flew by, but we managed to find the perfect gift for our specific people. Once we had payed, we walked out of the store together and chatted some more. Mina checks her watch and her eyes widen at the time.

“Oh my! I’ve got to go! It was nice seeing you though Areum!”

“Yes! You too! Bye!”

“Bye!”

With that, she scrambles off, leaving me as confused as ever.

Did me and Mina really just enjoy our time together without one mean word to one another?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I’m exhausted.

I throw all my bags onto my bedroom floor and make my ways downstairs to eat. I had spent nearly my whole day shopping but it’s better then going multiple days or leaving it till the last minute. I could never understand how people can do that.

“Areum, your finally home. Donghyuk told us you went shopping.”

“Yes. I had a lot of stuff to do.”

‘Well why don’t you join us now, Hana was just telling us about her piano exam marks, did you know she got a perfect score! Aigoo my amazing daughter!”

My mom pinches her cheeks and gives her a kiss while Hana playfully tells her to stop.

“I have stuff to do upstairs.”

They didn’t even hear me as they were continuing to praise Hana. I sigh heavily and silently make my way upstairs back into my bedroom.

I grab all my shopping bags and set them all in one place along with wrapping paper, scissors, tape, bows, ribbons, and cards with envelops.

“Okay let’s do this!”

One by one, hour by hour, I carefully wrap, frame, and handwrite all my messages and gifts to everyone I had bought my presents for. On the way home, I picked up boxes of chocolates for my teachers and dance instructors which I had wrapped as well. Since we don't have our Christmas tree set up yet, I just push all my presents into a corner for now.

Reaching for my phone, I press the home button and check the time. My jaw drops as the time 10:23 is glaring back at me. This whole day I was out, working hard to complete tasks and the time just flew by. I started shopping in the early morning and now I am finally finishing late at night.

It’s time to sleep.

I quickly use the restroom to wash my face, brush my teeth and comb my hair. I change into my pajamas and crawl into my soft welcoming covers. Once my head plops down on the pillow I could hardly keep my eyes open, but I don’t stop myself.

You’ve worked hard Areum.

With that, I fall asleep into a well-deserved slumber.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~