CHAPTER III: OF WEDDINGS, OF DREAMS, OF REALITIES

Unknown
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

They say that the happiest moment in a woman’s life is her wedding day. When the bells start to dance with the music of the wind it is a signal that a girl is now ready to be a woman in her husband’s hands.

 

They also say that a boy’s transition into becoming a man is when he whispered the word ‘I Do’ in front of all the people that he loves including the woman that had touch and love him.

 

We all say that weddings are such a happy occasion but for the two ill-fated teens looking in their reflections in each other’s eyes today will be the start of the curse being handed down to them.

 

Umji looks at her face in the mirror and all she can see is her eyes void of emotion. She never dreamt of being married at such a young age. She just turned 18. Today, she will be married to a man she’s not familiar with. A man she doesn’t have any connection. He is not her knight in shining armor but he is just a man that will become a part of her life and a part of her future.

 

Umji’s tears have dried up but she knows that tears will fall slowly if she does not contain her heart to feel the stinging pain of being pushed in the wall of fear and agony.

 

After only two days her wedding day was prepared in detail. The only Attendees will be her friends, their CEO, their manager, her parents and her grandpa.

 

Umji bitterly smiles as she heard the soft chirping of the birds and the unmistakable roars of the ocean. It is basically her dream wedding.

 

A wedding by the ocean with her friends and family but her dream is crush because she will not marry her dream guy. It’s a perfect place to get married but it’s the wrong time for her.

 

Umji raise her head to see her face in the mirror again. Her friends cried with her the moment she told them about her marriage. They held her hands and they spoke words of encouragement but they all end up shedding tears that night.

 

As Umji cleared the small droplet of tear in her eyes the memory of that night revolves in her memory.

 

TWO DAYS AGO

 

Umji went directly to their dorm. Her clothes wet and the coat she’s wearing is getting heavier. She presses the code and went inside silently but her unnies are seated at the small space they use as their dining area.

 

They look at her worriedly and the moment she close the door a sob escape . The tears fall freely and she can feel her heart beats faster than normal. Her breathing is becoming shallow.

 

Her unnie’s run towards her and hug her as they can hear the pain she’s feeling because of the way she’s crying. Umji keeps on touching her chest as she’s about to lose her breath.

 

Yuju realize in that moment that Umji is wet so they huddle her inside the shower area. Yuju asks the girls to wait them outside. Yuju remove all of Umji’s clothes and give her a shower. Yuju’s eyes were already full of tears because of what is happening to their maknae.

 

After an hour of crying Umji gather up the courage to tell them about her impending marriage. Umji close her eyes and slowly reveals everything to her unnies.

 

‘I’m getting married. My grandpa arrange for it. He says that it’s a promise he has to uphold. I hate him. I really hate him but I can’t do anything. He’s dying and he only wishes to see me married before he leaves this world.’ Umji retells in a slow voice.

 

The only thing that manages to stay still is the girls breathing and sobbing as the same time. You can also hear their gasps because of Umji’s revelations.

 

Words at that moment are not needed. No one spoke. No one says anything. The only thing they did is extend their arms and give Umji a big hug. A hug that gives Umji the reassurance she needed to lighten her heavy heart.

 

That night everything is in black and white. Her friends cried with her and cuddle her until she fell asleep.

 

When the morning came they were the one who supported her when their CEO held an emergency meeting addressing the matters at hands. The CEO wanted to do a press conference but a call from Umji’s grandfather and they are facing a deadly zone.

 

No one knows about the upcoming wedding. Even the tabloids don’t know about it. No one will know about it. No one is entitled to know about the wedding that has been prepared by the two old men for over a decade now.

 

A light tap made Umji open her eyes when she came face to face with her mother.

 

She gives her a smile. A sad smile but it contains warmth that a mother knows will give strength to her daughter.

 

‘Yewon-ah it’s time to go.’ her mother gently tells her as she fix her veil.

‘I know that you hate me and your dad but we don’t want to forsake your grandfather. This marriage is neither about business nor money. It is something that is being promise by your grandfather. I know you think that our reasons are a bunch of stupid promises but I tell you everything that happens now will be able to make you stronger in the future. I love you my daughter and that you have to trust us.’ Umji’s mother says as she held her into a hug.

 

Umji just nod her head before her mind went blank. The happening is not registering in her mind. She can’t even remember the time her hands were given to Vernon.

 

The only thing Umji can see in that moment is the sad eyes of a boy that is trying not to cry. The boy who tries to hide the pain in his eyes but she knows he’s hurt too. A boy she knows suffers the same agony she’s feeling. A boy that is a stranger to her will be a part of her life from this moment until they will be given the freedom to go their separate ways.

 

Vernon can feel it too. He can feel the sadness in Umji’s eyes the moment their hands were joined together. He can sense the pain. He can even feel the heartache.

 

Vernon looks straight at the man officiating their wedding when he remembers the night he sat down with his friends.

 

‘Hyung you’re here. What happened?’ Dino says as he gives Vernon some dry clothes when he saw that he was wet.

 

Vernon took the clothes and change before he silently sat at the end of their work room. The twelve boys were waiting for him to say something but Vernon only bang the table as the tears he keeps on hiding fell down from his eyes.

 

‘Are you okay?’ Seungkwan asks but Vernon just shakes his head.

 

The boys are silent for a moment when Joshua released a long sigh before giving Vernon a hug.

 

‘Is he really going to do it?’ Joshua asks and Vernon gives him a nod.

 

‘Your grandpa is crazy. Why would he do it? When will it be?’ Joshua angrily asks again wh

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter